So, has anyone else had this experience? On both a Q10 and Classic I've experienced the native data usage estimator in 10.3.1 to consistently estimate about 500-600mb less than the carrier reports I use. It's frustrating and worrisome at the same time. Both devices were on AT&T. The Q10 had an unofficial leaked version of 10.3.1, forget which specifically, and the Classic is an AT&T branded phone.

Anyone else have this issue?
    04-28-15 08:52 AM
    The app itself blantantly tells you that your carrier reading may vary so what's the issue here?

Is it properly set? The end-start dates match your bills? I'd tryst my phone more than I'd trust a greedy carrier.
    04-28-15 09:00 AM
    I have the issue, too. But my BB shows more volume than the carrier data (10 percent more download and 7 percent upload volume). But you can see in the device manager that these values are estimated, so I think all values up to 10 percent are ok.
    04-28-15 09:07 AM
    When I am home in Canada my data use is predictable. Somehow when I step across the boarder I use way more data. ...not sure why...as basically I try not to use it due to limited plans but it seems that my BlackBerry just starts using extra.....or Telus and AT&T or T-Mobile are just screwing me

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 09:31 AM
    Your carrier may not charge you for all data, such as accessing your carriers website, or sending and receiving mms
    04-28-15 09:32 AM
    The app itself blantantly tells you that your carrier reading may vary so what's the issue here?

Is it properly set? The end-start dates match your bills? I'd tryst my phone more than I'd trust a greedy carrier.
    I get that. And the start/end date do match the billing. Last billing period it estimated I used about 2.1gb, but the carrier said my usage was over 3gb. Quite a discrepancy.
    04-28-15 10:48 AM
    So, like right now, my Mobile Data Usage app shows I've used 570.7MB, but the carrier is reporting that between the two phones on the plan we've gone through 1359.49GB and the other phone has only used 259.58M. So my BB usage app is off by 529.21MB at this point in the billing cycle.
    04-28-15 11:12 AM
    I don't see much of a problem, my carrier will measure data differently from yours and them both won't do it exactly like your BlackBerry.

And it's bound to blow up higher so they can charge you if you're a heavy user. It's just the way things are.
    04-28-15 12:32 PM
    I don't see much of a problem, my carrier will measure data differently from yours and them both won't do it exactly like your BlackBerry.

And it's bound to blow up higher so they can charge you if you're a heavy user. It's just the way things are.
    No problem? Can BB do no wrong? I chose Blackberry, and I'm a consumer. It's not a work phone. Yet when I have a problem certain community members just gloss over it. This estimation tool is barely estimating at all. Either that, or some service is running in the background that isn't being captured by the OS. Is that possible?

If the error of the estimation is +100%, then what good is it? Obviously there's a problem.
    04-28-15 12:59 PM
    So, like right now, my Mobile Data Usage app shows I've used 570.7MB, but the carrier is reporting that between the two phones on the plan we've gone through 1359.49GB and the other phone has only used 259.58M. So my BB usage app is off by 529.21MB at this point in the billing cycle.
    The other phone has to be right and your BB10 has to be wrong because?

Unless your carrier breaks down data usage per device, then either device or both devices could be completely wrong.

Instead of just blaming the BB10 device, you should be trying to investigate where this data is going and what exactly is using up that much data; with facts, not with speculation.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 01:15 PM
    Mine is close to the MB

Are you on a shared plan? Maybe another one of your device is using the balance of the data.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 01:18 PM
    The other phone has to be right and your BB10 has to be wrong because?

Unless your carrier breaks down data usage per device, then either device or both devices could be completely wrong.

Instead of just blaming the BB10 device, you should be trying to investigate where this data is going and what exactly is using up that much data; with facts, not with speculation.

Posted via CB10
    The Carrier is reporting the value for the other device. So, the carrier states my device has used over 1.1GB, while the other device just under 300MB. All the while, my Classic says it's only used 570MB.

Mine is close to the MB

Are you on a shared plan? Maybe another one of your device is using the balance of the data.
    I guess I wasn't clear. There's two phones on the plan. The numbers I provided are reported by the carrier. The other phone is an iPhone 5s, and if it has a data usage estimator, the other member of the plan doesn't know how to use it. We're getting these numbers directly from the carrier. The carrier, AT&T reports the iPhone as having used just under 300MB, my phone, a Classic, as using ~1.1GB when the phone itself says it's only used 570MB.
    04-28-15 01:49 PM
    The difference for me is usually between 5-10%. The carrier is always higher.
    04-28-15 02:07 PM
    He's mine... it's spot on. I do t think it can be more precise than that

Make sure you have the proper cycle set up on you BlackBerry too

Data Usage Monitor Underestimating Compared to Carrier Reported Use-img_20150428_151225.png
    Data Usage Monitor Underestimating Compared to Carrier Reported Use-img_20150428_151210.png

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 02:13 PM
    I have the proper dates set.
    Data Usage Monitor Underestimating Compared to Carrier Reported Use-img_20150428_161829.png
    Data Usage Monitor Underestimating Compared to Carrier Reported Use-img_20150428_161911.png
    Data Usage Monitor Underestimating Compared to Carrier Reported Use-img_20150428_162447.png

In the first image, the "Data [MB]" is what AT&T is suggesting that my device has used. Note my settings for billing, and usage in the other two screenshots.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 03:26 PM
    Mine shows exactly the same
    Data Usage Monitor Underestimating Compared to Carrier Reported Use-img_20150428_231731.pngData Usage Monitor Underestimating Compared to Carrier Reported Use-img_20150428_231743.png
    04-28-15 04:20 PM
    Ok, great for you guys. No offense, but I posted this looking for help. I'm glad the feature is working as expected for you all, but it isn't for me. So any help would be great.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 06:45 PM
    Ok, great for you guys. No offense, but I posted this looking for help. I'm glad the feature is working as expected for you all, but it isn't for me. So any help would be great.
    And we're telling you to check with your carrier first. You don't like our solutions. Not much we can do. There are no settings nor options here.

If you were smart, you'd use this info to complain: HEY WHY ARE YOU CHARGING ME SO MUCH???

But you rather fight us. Ok.
    04-28-15 08:32 PM
    So, asking for help is fighting? You tried to prove me wrong the first chance you got, now you're telling me I'm fighting you? The carrier reports normal data consumption for one phone, and in reality, the usage they report for my device seems appropriate. I use data often and for media. So I came here to ask why bb10 is reporting less.

You really think the super geniuses at AT&Ts call center are going to give me anything other than a canned response? All they see from my device is data consumption. It's not like they're making the numbers up. The first few months I had my Q10 I never turned on data except to search maps randomly and I used a whopping 100mb.

But sure, I'll give them a call. Not sure why you assume I was resistant to that when this is the first post where anyone suggested it. Everyone just kept telling me I was looking at total data, had my billing dates confused or that the carrier is just ripping me off. All points that I tried to clarify, but apparently no one wanted to read my posts.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 09:05 PM
    So, asking for help is fighting? You tried to prove me wrong the first chance you got, now you're telling me I'm fighting you? The carrier reports normal data consumption for one phone, and in reality, the usage they report for my device seems appropriate. I use data often and for media. So I came here to ask why bb10 is reporting less.

You really think the super geniuses at AT&Ts call center are going to give me anything other than a canned response? All they see from my device is data consumption. It's not like they're making the numbers up. The first few months I had my Q10 I never turned on data except to search maps randomly and I used a whopping 100mb.

But sure, I'll give them a call. Not sure why you assume I was resistant to that when this is the first post where anyone suggested it. Everyone just kept telling me I was looking at total data, had my billing dates confused or that the carrier is just ripping me off. All points that I tried to clarify, but apparently no one wanted to read my posts.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm you have a huge divergence in data. Either the device isn't reporting it right or the carrier.

How about data reporting on your other devices, the one that share your data plan, do those number match?

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 11:26 PM
    Hmmm you have a huge divergence in data. Either the device isn't reporting it right or the carrier.

How about data reporting on your other devices, the one that share your data plan, do those number match?

Posted via CB10
    This is something I could check into. Does the iOS have a built in data monitoring utility?
    04-29-15 06:37 AM
    This is something I could check into. Does the iOS have a built in data monitoring utility?
    Yeah it does but you have to manually reset the counter. A bit painful but it does do the job.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 07:35 AM
    After reading this thread, I checked my Data Monitor. Matches within a few KB of My AT&T app for my usage. On a shared plan, but haven't checked what my wife's Android reports.

Just commenting that it does work for some of us.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 09:09 AM
    After reading this thread, I checked my Data Monitor. Matches within a few KB of My AT&T app for my usage. On a shared plan, but haven't checked what my wife's Android reports.

Just commenting that it does work for some of us.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.500
    Dang! this is frustrating.
    04-29-15 09:12 AM
    Krugbot, curious to hear if this article (admittedly a few years old now) speaks to you:

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...ercharges-you/

Edit: Just to summarise, you get charged for data that your network sends to your device, even if your device doesn't receive it. So if you have flaky radio reception then you can leak data. Exacerbated by using video and audio streams which may not quickly detect that the receiving device is not receiving.
    04-29-15 10:26 AM
35 12