Check it out. Not sure of the pros/cons of their security model, but the device itself looks pretty impressive!

Turing Phone's Alloys and Encryption Make it Extra Strong, Extra Secure - NBC News

- R.
    04-24-15 12:52 PM
    I'm curious about the materials, and how they really hold up to drops and scratches. It has a striking look that is different. I haven't read anything of substance on the encryption it's using.
    04-24-15 01:12 PM
    Please add photo and short snippet of article here. Make it easier for everyone and keep the clicks with CrackBerry.
    Please add photo and short snippet of article here. Make it easier for everyone and keep the clicks with CrackBerry.
    Let's see - either I get to be lazy and just leave the link as is, or you get to be lazy and make me serve it up to you on a silver platter. Given it's my choice, guess who wins that one? <g>

And as for keeping the links with Crackberry, if someone is giving me news I value, I think rewarding them with clicks is only fair.

- R.
    04-24-15 03:26 PM
    I'm sure someone will hack it in 5 mind, like blackphone.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 04:15 PM
    $740 seems remarkably cheap for a one off, unique design phone, from a company that doesn't even produce phones.
    04-24-15 05:11 PM
    Brought to you by the same folks who tried to sell you the Quasar IV and failed. Like the Quasar I have no confidence this will ever see the light of day.
    New Turing phone - highly secure and very sexy!-el6pakh.jpg
    04-24-15 07:11 PM
    I'm sure someone will hack it in 5 mind, like blackphone.

Posted via CB10
    The Blackphone hack was a fraud. It required physical access to the device, which had to be configured against the manufacturer's recommendations.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    04-24-15 07:16 PM
    The Blackphone hack was a fraud. It required physical access to the device, which had to be configured against the manufacturer's recommendations.

In other words it was rooted? Something a so called secure phone should not allow?

Loving my Passport!
    04-25-15 07:32 AM
    It likely won't sell. It's a way for the manufacturer to gain a little press in order to license their tech to other OEM's.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 08:00 AM

Hack is a hack regardless of the process or method.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 09:07 AM
    Nice looking device. Can't see anyone trusting security with an unproven brand...

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 09:34 AM
    I don't see how it is highly secure at all, it has a fingerprint reader and a feature that allows it to securely communicate with other phones like, that's all

BB for Life
    04-25-15 12:20 PM
    In other words it was rooted? Something a so called secure phone should not allow?

Loving my Passport!
    Hack is a hack regardless of the process or method.

Posted via CB10
    You're both so right. No secure phone should be hacked. So it's kind of sad that the BlackBerry Z10 was rooted remotely. Read on (and check out the links too):

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014...acked-sort-of/

04-28-15 01:06 AM
    You're both so right. No secure phone should be hacked. So it's kind of sad that the BlackBerry Z10 was rooted remotely. Read on (and check out the links too):

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014...acked-sort-of/

Your point being?
    Hack applies to ios and android also. Hack is a hack. Someone wants to hack your phone, with a lot of technical know how, the right situation, persistence and time they will hack your phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 08:28 AM
    A nice design but completely impractical.

So much of the device is about the total experience, looks and durability are only two of the myriad of ever changing "needs" of device users. Look at how the major players are constantly evolving and shaping their devices with minor innovations, always running the risk of going too far and creating a flop.

Launching a device "cold" is very high risk and unless very very well researched, not likely to succeed.
    04-28-15 11:29 AM
    Your point being?
    Hack applies to ios and android also. Hack is a hack. Someone wants to hack your phone, with a lot of technical know how, the right situation, persistence and time they will hack your phone.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree completely. Some hacks are based on completely unrealistic circumstances, and no one need ever worry about them. Others would be much more practical to execute, even though they might require a lot of work and knowledge.

My point is that the Blackphone hack required the attacker to have a HIGHLY unlikely set of conditions. In fact, it required that the hacker

• have physical access to the phone and connect it to a computer via USB,
    • configure the phone against Blackphone’s set-up recommendations,
    • not install encryption on the device,
    • ignore an unknown application source warning, and
    • have the phone’s PIN code.

That's not really a hack that would occur "in the wild".

The femtocell hack -- to which updated iOS devices (except on Sprint, apparently) were not vulnerable -- was a much more realistic hack to execute. The hacker did not need to have possession of the phone, did not need set up information, and could trick the user into installing "updates" that were in fact exploits.

Over 2 Billion Smartphones Are Hacker-Friendly
    'Up to two BEEELLION' mobes easily hacked by evil base stations ? The Register

In the end, I doubt every manufacturer's security claims and act accordingly. I'm just here for the keyboard.

But for the poster to whom I was originally responding to suggest that Blackphones are easily hacked (and to imply that they're junk) is simply incorrect. If someone had physical access to my BlackBerry, was able to configure it, and install apps with permission to access whatever they wanted, I'm sure they could get a lot of my information too.
    04-28-15 06:36 PM
    I disagree completely. Some hacks are based on completely unrealistic circumstances, and no one need ever worry about them. Others would be much more practical to execute, even though they might require a lot of work and knowledge.

My point is that the Blackphone hack required the attacker to have a HIGHLY unlikely set of conditions. In fact, it required that the hacker

• have physical access to the phone and connect it to a computer via USB,
    • configure the phone against Blackphone�s set-up recommendations,
    • not install encryption on the device,
    • ignore an unknown application source warning, and
    • have the phone�s PIN code.

That's not really a hack that would occur "in the wild".

The femtocell hack -- to which updated iOS devices (except on Sprint, apparently) were not vulnerable -- was a much more realistic hack to execute. The hacker did not need to have possession of the phone, did not need set up information, and could trick the user into installing "updates" that were in fact exploits.

Over 2 Billion Smartphones Are Hacker-Friendly
    'Up to two BEEELLION' mobes easily hacked by evil base stations ? The Register

In the end, I doubt every manufacturer's security claims and act accordingly. I'm just here for the keyboard.

But for the poster to whom I was originally responding to suggest that Blackphones are easily hacked (and to imply that they're junk) is simply incorrect. If someone had physical access to my BlackBerry, was able to configure it, and install apps with permission to access whatever they wanted, I'm sure they could get a lot of my information too.
    I agree with you on most points.
    I look at smartphones being only secure as their weakest point. Practical hack or not.

If a hack can only be done under controlled circumstances it's still a hack. I don't believe most any phone manufacturers claim on security myself.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 01:54 PM
    But not root it.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 02:32 PM
    How is the phone 'sexy'?! It's a small object for talking to people and IT.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 04:50 PM
    How is the phone 'sexy'?!
    Cuz it looks like Ironman
    04-29-15 05:36 PM
    Oh boy! What had people been saying about sharp pointy corner?

Posted from my Passport
    05-10-15 02:52 AM
    Cool

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 01:55 PM

Majority vote. still a hack. Council has spoken.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 03:05 PM