I have heard the rumor of Verizon dropping the CDMA band for their call service, and going with GSM which is the "world standard" as it's the chosen method of signal by almost every other mobile service provider in the world.

It would also open up a much more broad array of devices that could be used on the VZW frequency. For instance...I really, really, really want a BlackBerry Passport, but it's a GSM-only device and AT&T is the only US provider to add it to their portfolio.

Any clue as to this rumors validity...and if it is true, when is the switch to take place?
    04-24-15 11:39 AM
    No, it's not happening, and IDK where people keep hearing this. It makes no sense for Verizon to do this so late in the game, especially when everything is going to be LTE eventually. So why waste money on CDMA-GSM, kill existing voice service, make people switch to GSM phones (whether by making them pay--unlikely--or paying OOP.)

What is going to happen is that Verizon is planning to go all-LTE in its new phone lineup starting in 2016. This implies that their voLTE network will have to robust enough. CDMA is not going to be decommissioned till at least 2020 (don't have a link handy, but its probably on FW.)
    Outrunner and Avenzuno like this.
    04-24-15 11:51 AM
    Any word on on whether the eventual widespread voLTE coverage on Verizon will allow non-branded phones onto their network or do they still get to keep the provisioning ESNs that will block it.
    raino likes this.
    04-24-15 12:10 PM
    Any word on on whether the eventual widespread voLTE coverage on Verizon will allow non-branded phones onto their network or do they still get to keep the provisioning ESNs that will block it.
    I think it's already possible to bring LTE non verizon phones to verizon

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 12:27 PM
    This is a really good question. On one hand, they're obligated to allow b13 devices on their network. But for now, phones don't work (like phones or tablets) because they don't have CDMA (voice) access. So when it's all LTE down the road, does that mean band 13 and technology utilizing band 13 (voLTE) is open to compatible handsets? IOW, when Verizon committed to opening band 13, did they also commit to opening access to voLTE that may be on it? So far, Verizon has not made voLTE open access in that any voLTE capable phone can use voLTE. Based on one CBer's posts, it looks like the Verizon Z30 can do voLTE, but their Z10s and Q10s cannot. Neither has TMO--the other carrier with voLTE--made it open access to capable phones.

I think it's already possible to bring LTE non verizon phones to verizon
    You can't use them as phones because voice is still largely CDMA. And you can't use them as tablets either, because these phones aren't being let on the network (this could be fought over if someone has the time to deal with Verizon legal, but its probably not worth it.)

You can bring non-Verizon, LTE band 13 tablets to Verizon and use them. You may have to employ some tricks to do it, but it's ultimately doable.
    04-24-15 12:38 PM
    CDMA and GSM are both being phased out by VoLTE. Both will remain around for a few more years as the LTE networks for all carriers are built out and ready to support the additional bandwidth and while the handovers, such as LTE calling between carrier networks, are worked out.

Hopefully, once the changeover is made, consumers will have the option of factory unlocked devices on any carrier, so long as it has the correct LTE channels.
    04-27-15 11:51 AM
    CDMA and GSM are both being phased out by VoLTE. Both will remain around for a few more years as the LTE networks for all carriers are built out and ready to support the additional bandwidth and while the handovers, such as LTE calling between carrier networks, are worked out.

Hopefully, once the changeover is made, consumers will have the option of factory unlocked devices on any carrier, so long as it has the correct LTE channels.
    Actually VoLTE is part of the GSM standards. I think the equivalent 4G for CDMA is WiMax

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    05-21-15 10:19 AM
    Very true bobshine, but my point was more to the line that the line in the sand of two differing standards was going away.
    05-21-15 11:15 AM