I want to love the Storm so badly...but my inability to type on it is going to be a deal breaker. I can type really fast on my Curve, so I'm very frustrated with myself for not being able to do the same on the Storm. I really am trying to be patient, but so far my reaction is that this phone will not be for me, if only for the virtual keyboard. Anybody have any great typing tips that might prevent me from returning this Storm?
    Last edited by cathlene1; 11-24-08 at 09:10 AM.
    11-24-08 08:55 AM
    "restrict the left thumb for the left side of the keyboard and the right thumb for the right side of the keyboard. If you try to hit a button on the right side of the keyboard with the left thumb you will make a mistake almost every time."

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/ult...s-only-100612/
    11-24-08 08:58 AM
    Be patient and slllooowwwwww down at first. I had the same problem and just slowed down and then sped things up as I got more accuracy. As with any touch phone there is a curve.
    11-24-08 08:59 AM
    When ever I type in Landscape/QWERTY I just dont feel comfortable holding the phone. Ergonomically I find holding the phone in portrait phone much more comfortable. I suppose this is attributed to using the Curve and Bold in the past.

I am finding myself typing in portrait with SureType to be more to my liking... and to be honest, SureType is not that bad!
    11-24-08 09:04 AM
    You will get it, I think most people are trying to baby the keyboard.
    I started getting much faster once I stopped worrying about breaking it. That's
    What insurance is for.

Ken

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 09:12 AM
    "restrict the left thumb for the left side of the keyboard and the right thumb for the right side of the keyboard. If you try to hit a button on the right side of the keyboard with the left thumb you will make a mistake almost every time."

I have to agree with this tip. Still getting used to typing on this thing, but I think training yourself to type this way is a must for this device. 2 days into having the device, and i'm definitely getting better. Not sure if i'll ever be able to achieve my typing speed that I had on old blackberries, but just have to keep working at it
    11-24-08 09:14 AM
    As with any touch phone there is a curve.
    No PUN intended..
    11-24-08 09:15 AM
    Why anyone would expect to type as fast on a touchscreen as a physical keyboard still baffles me. I think people need to stop comparing the typing on this to typing on a physical keyboard. I have had a couple touchscreen devices including the iphone and Dare the storm is by far the best in terms of typing IMO. Compare apples to apple. If you'd thought you'd have the same typing experience on a touchscreen, you might as well take it back now.
    11-24-08 09:19 AM
    Why anyone would expect to type as fast on a touchscreen as a physical keyboard still baffles me. I think people need to stop comparing the typing on this to typing on a physical keyboard. I have had a couple touchscreen devices including the iphone and Dare the storm is by far the best in terms of typing IMO. Compare apples to apple. If you'd thought you'd have the same typing experience on a touchscreen, you might as well take it back now.
    I don't think I agree with you: other people on CB have said they can type as fast or faster than on their previous BBs. And sorry, but I DO expect to be able to type fast on this, or any other, Berry. Thanks for your input, though
    11-24-08 09:24 AM
    Take your time and practice. After only one weekend with this beauty, I'm already flying on the keyboard. I absolutely love it. It's real close to a real keyboard.
    11-24-08 09:28 AM
    I type fast on the iphone and wm phones with a 3rd app installed. Surepress will always be slower if you are required to press and release. The iphone also does a better job of figuring out your mistakes.
    11-24-08 09:32 AM
    Take your time and practice. After only one weekend with this beauty, I'm already flying on the keyboard. I absolutely love it. It's real close to a real keyboard.
    I've also had this for the weekend and I really have spent time practicing. Still, I can't seem to get the hang of it enough to feel like I'm improving (or that there's hope for me). My thumbs feel enlarged and drunk
    Last edited by cathlene1; 11-24-08 at 09:50 AM.
    11-24-08 09:32 AM
    I type fast on the iphone and wm phones with a 3rd app installed. Surepress will always be slower if you are required to press and release. The iphone also does a better job of figuring out your mistakes.

I disagree - surepress is faster and more accurate for me than the iphone.

Figuring out mistakes is equal on both phones IMO...
    11-24-08 09:43 AM
    I just tried one of my coworker's storms and while I'm still somewhat eager to get one, the typing does seem like it would take a significant amount of time to master. Especially since I have fat, stubby fingers I found it particularly difficult to hit the right button, often getting an i instead of an o for example. Nonetheless, since I tend not to send lengthy emails and rather use my bb for receiving messages I think the storm would likely be perfect. That being said I would still like to try the portrait mode keyboard which is probably better for those fat-fingered bb-users.
    11-24-08 09:43 AM
    That's fine but the original post was the person changing from a Curve to the Storm. People may be able to eventually type fast on the Storm but it will not compare to the Curve. The shortcuts on the keyboard and the feel of it allows you to type way faster. In the past 9 months I have had the pearl ,Curve, iPhone, Bold, LG Dare and now Storm. Typing on any of the touchscreen WILL NOT compare to typing on a physical keyboard at all. I never said a person could type fast on it, but it will not be as fast and consistent as a physical keyboard. If your typing on a physical keyboard is just as fast as your typing on a touchscreen keyboard, then you suck at typing period!
    11-24-08 09:50 AM
    I don't think I agree with you: other people on CB have said they can type as fast or faster than on their previous BBs. And sorry, but I DO expect to be able to type fast on this, or any other, Berry. Thanks for your input, though
    I never said you cannot type or don't expect to type fast on this. I said don't compare typing on this to typing on a physical keyboard. Just not the same. I can type fast on my storm, but on my Curve and Bold, I can get emails and texts out several times faster. But I am not disappointed in this because I know its a touch screen and I am going to hit the wrong key sometimes and the shortcuts aren't as obviously as a physical keyboard. That is why touchscreen devices are compared to other touchscreen devices. Can't compare what one does to one that doesn't and expect to have he same results.
    11-24-08 09:53 AM
    That's fine but the original post was the person changing from a Curve to the Storm. People may be able to eventually type fast on the Storm but it will not compare to the Curve. The shortcuts on the keyboard and the feel of it allows you to type way faster. In the past 9 months I have had the pearl ,Curve, iPhone, Bold, LG Dare and now Storm. Typing on any of the touchscreen WILL NOT compare to typing on a physical keyboard at all. I never said a person could type fast on it, but it will not be as fast and consistent as a physical keyboard. If your typing on a physical keyboard is just as fast as your typing on a touchscreen keyboard, then you suck at typing period!
    No one is suggesting that touch screen typing will compare to button typing. The idea is, if one can at least be proficient with typing on the touchscreen, it may be worth it to them to lose some typing speed in exchange for a bigger screen.
    11-24-08 09:57 AM
    ...it may be worth it to them to lose some typing speed in exchange for a bigger screen.
    This is exactly how I feel - completely agree
    11-24-08 10:03 AM

You know, it is the damndest thing, I was resigning myself to a life of suretype on this, which isn't that much of a biggy, but still annoying, then I tried this, and especially with opera, I love it, probably will become a better typist on a real keyboard, now that my hands have to stay on their own sides...
    11-24-08 10:04 AM
    I never said you cannot type or don't expect to type fast on this. I said don't compare typing on this to typing on a physical keyboard. Just not the same. I can type fast on my storm, but on my Curve and Bold, I can get emails and texts out several times faster. But I am not disappointed in this because I know its a touch screen and I am going to hit the wrong key sometimes and the shortcuts aren't as obviously as a physical keyboard. That is why touchscreen devices are compared to other touchscreen devices. Can't compare what one does to one that doesn't and expect to have he same results.
    Ok, right. That does make sense. Thanks for the clarification.
    11-24-08 10:10 AM
    If you're having trouble typing accurately in QWERTY, rotate the phone. Its probably just psychological, but I type way better when I have the BlackBerry keys, etc, to my left rather than my right. I am much more accurate.
    11-24-08 10:20 AM
    I can type fast on my iPhone... one thing that worries me about this push screen.
    11-24-08 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD