Just curious. I know some phones actually have built in GPS so data isn't used at all. Does turn my turn navigation with blackberry maps use data? Thanks.

Posted via CB10 for Red BlackBerry Passport
    04-23-15 04:15 PM
    BlackBerry maps does use data since it is downloading everytime you use it.
    I believe Navfree is one that doesn't use data, but some say the maps aren't as up-to-date
    04-23-15 04:19 PM
    Yeah, the actual map information - the roads, names, boundaries... basically all the graphic on-screen stuff is data downloaded from whatever server is holding that information. The GPS is only used to place yourself on that map and follow you around. Sections of the graphical map are downloaded as needed.

Same thing with Google Maps, but at least with Google Maps, you can save a chunk of the map - like, just your city - to the phone. But, I could never get that to work on my Z10 even though it said it was done. I think that only works properly on an actual android phone.

But, as Mad_mdx says, there are map apps that let you download all map data ahead of time - like over wi-fi, and then the app uses that as you travel and the GPS to place you on it without having to use any mobile data while traveling.
    04-23-15 06:38 PM
    If only Here Maps ran on the z10 for the ultimate offline experience....if you don't mind not having turn by turn directions, the browser versions of Google Maps and Here Maps works well compared to map app offerings in terms of loading speed

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    04-23-15 09:00 PM
    If only Here Maps ran on the z10 for the ultimate offline experience....if you don't mind not having turn by turn directions, the browser versions of Google Maps and Here Maps works well compared to map app offerings in terms of loading speed

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    But that will still use data...
    Waze is much faster and is a great GPS and mapping app.
    04-24-15 12:44 AM
    But that will still use data...
    Waze is much faster and is a great GPS and mapping app.
    plus the Vlade Divac english voice option makes it more fun to use

04-24-15 02:29 PM
    Yeah, the actual map information - the roads, names, boundaries... basically all the graphic on-screen stuff is data downloaded from whatever server is holding that information. The GPS is only used to place yourself on that map and follow you around. Sections of the graphical map are downloaded as needed.

Same thing with Google Maps, but at least with Google Maps, you can save a chunk of the map - like, just your city - to the phone. But, I could never get that to work on my Z10 even though it said it was done. I think that only works properly on an actual android phone.

But, as Mad_mdx says, there are map apps that let you download all map data ahead of time - like over wi-fi, and then the app uses that as you travel and the GPS to place you on it without having to use any mobile data while traveling.

OsmAnd is one such example that can be pre-loaded and works reasonable well but has a somewhat confusing interface, at least to me!
    04-24-15 02:35 PM
    Osmand works well for offline maps and navigation. The voice guidance isn't the best but it comes with lane assistance and speed warning. Each download map is for an entire state or province. You get 9 free downloads. However all downloaded maps are stored on the device. I use it only as a backup to BlackBerry Maps in case I lose data connection.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 04:13 PM
    Mireo Don't Panic works without data.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 07:34 PM