I finally took the plunge and bought a Blackberry Classic. I am a conservative lover of the original BB genre. I was told the migration would be a breeze...but it was a disaster. It took many goes using link to supposedly transfer "most things" from the 9900 to the Classic. All that came through was my BBM contacts. Zip all else. All my BBM messages gone. All my email accounts gone. No Whatsapp and naturally all of those associated messages. Oh I did get my SMS messages.
    So what I want to do is switch off the Classic and put the SIM back into my Bold (I got an adapter to allow me to use the little nano sim i got from the phone company). Will my bold work again if I do this? Will everything be there? I did a backup with the old Desktop Software so I guess I can restore that but will the BIS account go back to the old BB and start working as before?
    04-23-15 11:21 AM
    OK to answer my question I just did it and all seems to be fine. Order has been restored...my brief foray into OS10 was a disaster...I thought I would stick with it and wade through the lack of migrated life but it is just way too complicated for me...sticking with my Bold until it dies...Brand new Classic on eBay...
    mighthor likes this.
    04-23-15 11:35 AM
    If you had BlackBerry protect on the Bold, it would have done a transfer of everything onto your Classic.

Too bad you had a bad experience, enjoy your Bold: it was a good phone for its day but I couldn't go back at this point.
    04-23-15 11:53 AM
    OK to answer my question I just did it and all seems to be fine. Order has been restored...my brief foray into OS10 was a disaster...I thought I would stick with it and wade through the lack of migrated life but it is just way too complicated for me...sticking with my Bold until it dies...Brand new Classic on eBay...
    So... what happens when the Bold dies? Lol

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-23-15 12:32 PM
    So... what happens when the Bold dies? Lol
    Get another Bold, they should be cheap by then...

I feel your pain OP, I am considering the same after a couple of weeks with this Classic. I don't care for the size for one and I don't like the fact that I have to think through things that for years have been automatic and second nature. I've been with BB since the 6800 was new and navigating this new OS makes my phone seem foreign. Simple things like knowing when I have a voicemail (no icon on the main screen) to returning a missed call from what's now called the HUB. For as far back as I can remember you just select the missed call and hit the green phone button, now there are steps to do what used to be simple.

Also, making Android apps work but not the old BBOS apps really says to me they don't care about their old faithful customer base. They left us for a new crowd that wants android on a BB instead of BB on a BB. I have an old bible app with 10+ years worth of notes and I'm not feeling good about having to abandon those notes though I'm staying with BB. Something very wrong with that picture if you ask me.

I may be picking up a 9900 off eBay and getting rid of this Classic. I feel like Linus without my blanket...
    04-23-15 12:56 PM
    Me too back to bold 9900 I like the size and the one hand use

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 01:40 PM
    For some reason this all reminds me of my mother's refusal to get an electric toothbrush even with the recommendation from her dentist because she's afraid of not knowing how to use the new electric toothbrush... Not sure why.

dbollman423 likes this.
    04-23-15 01:42 PM
    Well yes I know the time comes when one is pretty much forced to move on but I just don't think I'm ready to have to learn a new way when the old is so slick. Change for the sake of change is questionable. It should have been a progressive change, fixing the little irritations that are in the Bold like the crap camera, the slight laziness etc. I honestly don't have to think about things on my Bold, my hand just does it. It's an extension of me and yes one-handed, simple and slick. I remember how each generation of the BB was a logical one (and I started way back with the brick's) and how I felt it was a definite improvement. That feeling certainly did not happen when I fired up the Classic. Aside from the bad migration of the data from the old to new, it is just not intuitive.
    04-23-15 01:59 PM
    I'm curious how long did you use the Classic for before going back to the Bold? Too bad you had so many bumpy rides along the transition and hopefully everything will turn out well for you.

To BB or not to BB?
    04-23-15 02:00 PM
    For some reason this all reminds me of my mother's refusal to get an electric toothbrush even with the recommendation from her dentist because she's afraid of not knowing how to use the new electric toothbrush... Not sure why.

Hardly the same thing. Bolds form factor is a huge plus to many. One handed typing a huge plus. OS6,7 simplicity a huge plus. No further updates so os slow down won't happen with new versions. If your ok with the odd battery pull and lack of android app support, IMO is still a very very good option and in so many ways superior to bb10. Bb10 has it's strengths but emails, calls, txt and bbm integration isn't it. Only reason for a bb10 upgrade is screen size, 4g and apps.. But you have a tablet which zeros all that out, then a bold is very much a great device.

I've been giving it serious thought about ditching my q10 and going to a 9900... My gf can't stand waiting for a white classic and we may just get a 9900 to replace her 9700 we just got waiting for the white classic.. More she thinks about it more she realizes she doesn't need a big bb10 phone... So why bother..

Where as a manual tooth brush is no where near as good as a oral b triumph... Other then cost..
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    04-23-15 02:03 PM
    I won't deny that BB7OS is better than BB10. It is more user-friendly, more polished, more configurable, more *fluid* than the latest and greatest.

there are way too many things that I can do faster or better on my Bold. Hell, there are things that I simply can no longer do with BB10. So I can relate to those who go back because they've lost too much.

I'm toughing it out though. I love the speed and the screen, and I personally don't have to leave anything behind.

the PERFECT phone for me would be a Classic running BB7.

Posted from a non-camera BlackBerry Classis
    04-23-15 02:15 PM
    In reply to nhanken:
    Truth be told not more than an hour tops. I kinda sat there expecting to boot this similar looking device up and find my whole life on there with some new features to improve things. Instead I found just the remnants of my data and a bewildering new interface that made no sense at all. The whole thing is rather like Microsoft's Windows 8 OS where they have moved and renamed things in the name of a new version. There is nothing logical or intuitive about OS 10 like it was moving from my various BB's over the years OS's v3.6 to v5 to v6 to v7 to 7.1 etc. They were all sensible improvements on a winning formula. It is very sad that the apps don't port to OS 7 but as diehardabuser says - paired with a tablet I have my working team. Was hoping to ditch that tablet when out on the road but it will continue to supplement my 9900...
    04-23-15 02:19 PM
    Well yes I know the time comes when one is pretty much forced to move on but I just don't think I'm ready to have to learn a new way when the old is so slick. Change for the sake of change is questionable. It should have been a progressive change, fixing the little irritations that are in the Bold like the crap camera, the slight laziness etc. I honestly don't have to think about things on my Bold, my hand just does it. It's an extension of me and yes one-handed, simple and slick. I remember how each generation of the BB was a logical one (and I started way back with the brick's) and how I felt it was a definite improvement. That feeling certainly did not happen when I fired up the Classic. Aside from the bad migration of the data from the old to new, it is just not intuitive.
    I went from a Bold 9900 to a Q10 and now to a Classic. No, it is not change for the sake of change...

04-23-15 03:03 PM
    Hardly the same thing. Bolds form factor is a huge plus to many. One handed typing a huge plus. OS6,7 simplicity a huge plus. No further updates so os slow down won't happen with new versions. If your ok with the odd battery pull and lack of android app support, IMO is still a very very good option and in so many ways superior to bb10. Bb10 has it's strengths but emails, calls, txt and bbm integration isn't it. Only reason for a bb10 upgrade is screen size, 4g and apps.. But you have a tablet which zeros all that out, then a bold is very much a great device.

I've been giving it serious thought about ditching my q10 and going to a 9900... My gf can't stand waiting for a white classic and we may just get a 9900 to replace her 9700 we just got waiting for the white classic.. More she thinks about it more she realizes she doesn't need a big bb10 phone... So why bother..

Where as a manual tooth brush is no where near as good as a oral b triumph... Other then cost..
    If you say so. I liked the Bold when I had it, but I'll never even consider going back now that I'm on BB10. And you wouldn't realize that with just a short while of using it.

04-23-15 03:04 PM
    In reply to nhanken:
    Truth be told not more than an hour tops. I kinda sat there expecting to boot this similar looking device up and find my whole life on there with some new features to improve things. Instead I found just the remnants of my data and a bewildering new interface that made no sense at all. The whole thing is rather like Microsoft's Windows 8 OS where they have moved and renamed things in the name of a new version. There is nothing logical or intuitive about OS 10 like it was moving from my various BB's over the years OS's v3.6 to v5 to v6 to v7 to 7.1 etc. They were all sensible improvements on a winning formula. It is very sad that the apps don't port to OS 7 but as diehardabuser says - paired with a tablet I have my working team. Was hoping to ditch that tablet when out on the road but it will continue to supplement my 9900...
    Sounds like you just need some help and time setting things up and getting used to the new system. It's obviously very different than os7, since that os had reached its technological limitations. This is a whole new platform.
    You could try using it as a wi-fi only device, even transferring your data should work easily if you follow the instructions.
    You should talk to Mr4aces on these forums. He went from the biggest hater of BlackBerry 10 and now I think he enjoys it quite a bit. If you go looking for his threads about BlackBerry 10 vs 7 you would have quite a laugh too...
    I'd give it more time and I would suggest going through the help manual as well. Most, if not all of us, came from os7 and we definitely were used to the old ways, but many here would never ever go back.
    JG_Agustin likes this.
    04-23-15 03:34 PM
    1) email is going to be totally different now since you're not on BIS. Of course you have to set it up again. It will sync whatever folders you want from the server for whatever time period you want. If you need help with email setup, let me know.

2) Whatsapp is available for BB10. I don't use it so I don't know much about it. In any case, if conversations aren't saved server side to deliver back to you after switching app platform versions, then that's a whatsapp issue, not bb

3) BBM conversations. I honestly can't remember if my conversations followed after restoring the backup. IN any case, I had my old phone with my radios turned off so even now I can still refer to old conversations. If it was any more important than nostalgia, I would have brought that information to my new device a different way.

But, seriously, You should expect at least a week of buyer's remorse with most new different devices and about 2-4 week learning curve. Of course it's different. There are benefits and there are detriments. After a fair shake with an open mind, I'm confident the good will outweigh the bad.

Give it a chance. If you have questions, ask. But don't sell yourself short just because transferring information from one device to a completely different device didn't completely meet your expectations.

Good luck.
    04-23-15 03:37 PM
    I guess I will take your advice and give it another bash. My problem is that the Bold is an integral part of my consulting business. The messages form part of my billing history. When I saw this was not a smooth upgrade I panicked and backed out in the interests of business continuity. I will play with the Classic in WiFi mode as you say and get familiar with the new way and then maybe try to migrate again after doing the research you suggest, probably over a weekend where I can breath easier and yes I can of course keep the bold on hand to access the legacy data. Lets see...maybe I too can swing this around and become a Mr4aces...thanks for the positive encouragement folks, refreshing!
    04-23-15 03:51 PM
    I'm from the loyal 9900 users that up graded to the Classic on launch day. I loved the 99 and how fast it was, but the lack of RAM and battery life was killing me. I had less than 300mb of working RAM, not enough to use in today's apps.

I used Device Switch to move all the information to the Classic.

The BB10 was a pain and steep learning curve. It took me 2 weeks just to get use to the Hub and gesture functions. I used my 9900 as a secomd device on Wifi for 2 months, slowly faded away and migrated to BB10 completely using a Z10 as a spare.

BBM on BB10 suck no other way to put it. There is not the sharing of all social media as BBOS7. Blame ML/TH/RIM for short cutting the software. BBM10 has turn out to be a fancy text messenger.

I learned that OS as you know it does not encompass a specific demographic. They now program the OS to be broad and then you customize your application with apps that fit your needs. If they programmed the OS to fit everybody the amount of memory would be so large it would require bigger and faster CPU's

Without this understanding No one from the OS7 platform is going to be happy.

That being said the "lack of" in the BB10 OS has actually saved me 4-5 hours per day. It has force me to seek other ways to feed multiple social medias.

I have 10 Twitter, 2 FaceBook and 11 FB pages I now feed with Hootsuite and Gnewsreader. I am able to send out 2k tweets per day automatically using RSS feeds.

This free time has allowed me to research BlackBerry's forums. I have this Classic humming with the latest leak OS and have customized it by removing unwanted or not used software programs. Reducing the amount of data your OS has to search through speeds up your phone.

All this being said it's to bad you did not give the phone a chance to be everything and more that the 9900 is now.

Last night I listed my 9900 and was sold before 8am today. So my 99 is gone forever. RIP

I'm looking forward to another BlackBerry device soon.

Posted via CB10
    mad_mdx and donemt like this.
    04-23-15 04:23 PM
    Be patient young man!
    Everything takes time and we'll look forward to hearing your final decision as you're gonna spend a weekend getaway with the Classic . Ask Mr.4aces as another member mentioned. He is the BB10 hater to becoming a BB10 lover.

I guess I will take your advice and give it another bash. My problem is that the Bold is an integral part of my consulting business. The messages form part of my billing history. When I saw this was not a smooth upgrade I panicked and backed out in the interests of business continuity. I will play with the Classic in WiFi mode as you say and get familiar with the new way and then maybe try to migrate again after doing the research you suggest, probably over a weekend where I can breath easier and yes I can of course keep the bold on hand to access the legacy data. Lets see...maybe I too can swing this around and become a Mr4aces...thanks for the positive encouragement folks, refreshing!

To BB or not to BB?
    04-23-15 04:56 PM
    I finally took the plunge and bought a Blackberry Classic. I am a conservative lover of the original BB genre. I was told the migration would be a breeze...but it was a disaster. It took many goes using link to supposedly transfer "most things" from the 9900 to the Classic. All that came through was my BBM contacts. Zip all else. All my BBM messages gone. All my email accounts gone. No Whatsapp and naturally all of those associated messages. Oh I did get my SMS messages.
    So what I want to do is switch off the Classic and put the SIM back into my Bold (I got an adapter to allow me to use the little nano sim i got from the phone company). Will my bold work again if I do this? Will everything be there? I did a backup with the old Desktop Software so I guess I can restore that but will the BIS account go back to the old BB and start working as before?
    I find this interesting. I came from the 9900 to a Q10 and I used BlackBerry Link for the transfer. Most basic stuff transferred over OK. I had to do a little cleanup in places, especially the address book, but most of that was just a small formatting that I easily fixed.

As far as WhatsApp and test msgs, text came through. WhatsApp did not. But then I never save that msg history. All my WhatsApp contacts did though, as soon as I loaded it on the new phone and signed in. BBM seemed to work just fine w/ nothing missing once I signed in with my BlackBerry ID.

Apps: some did, very few. I think that is mainly because the OS is so different. Apps on OS7 are not the same OS as that same app on BB10. I can live with that. It's like going from an Android to an iPhone. 2 different OS's so you really can't expect full uninterrupted, velvet smooth transfer of the apps you had on the Android to those same apps on iOS. They just are not the same animal. I'm surprised as much transferred as did honestly.

OS7 and BB10 are two entirely different operating systems. Remember, BB10 is a brand new life here. It may resemble OS7 in name, but not in build or operation. For me it was just a matter of moving forward and not looking back. Once I ironed out the small nuances and learned the ropes, OS7 was forever a dead issue. You'd have the same issues of you went from a BlackBerry to any other OS.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 10:01 AM
    Hi Guys ,

Went from Bold 9650 to Q10 about 16 months ago, and when I found out USB sync to outlook is not supported I went over to Iphone.

Synced all my Contacts to Iphone but dont have a calendar or memos so feel lost , thus :
    Carry My Bold 9650 as a PDA now to sync to Outlook 2007 on multiple laptops. Lost my contacts
    syncing ability (address book not installed error on BB DT software ) and maybe you guys could direct me to a thread that is live to help me .
    I have exhausted all the BB Community Forum Gurus
    Just hoping someone here can help

Thanks
    04-25-15 05:37 PM
    I would be concerned over whether carriers will continue to support BIS. Without BIS the 9900 will only be a phone but no data services.
    04-25-15 07:20 PM
    I would be concerned over whether carriers will continue to support BIS. Without BIS the 9900 will only be a phone but no data services.
    The question I believe is who will pay the cost...

I believe RIM charged the carriers which gladly took the deal because they calculated XXX amount of users, all paying $20 for basic and $30 for BES BB plans. So the question is what happens when they dwindle to where it's not cost effective to the carriers? Sounds like RIM will have a giant promo for trading in old phones...
    04-25-15 08:10 PM
    Damn you 9900 users are hard to please. I had absolutely no issues going from the 9900 to a Z10.

Sent from my Passport
    donemt, dbollman423 and jas1978 like this.
    04-25-15 10:31 PM
    I may as well say this here in lieu of starting the loop all over again, but in my case I'm ready to re-un-migrate back to 7.1, as I finally grasp I'm just not the devoted fan a BlackBerry user has to be right now. I need a more simple, finished OS that has enough basic apps that support my needs, without sinking into the clutches of Google just to function. My work use is very different from the corp world power user or the IT pro-level tinkerers here, and I need a phone primarily for communication/writing, not one that's a research project itself.

My hat's off to people who like doing all that kind of stuff, and I'm sure you know that without your dedication BlackBerry wouldn't even have a new handset business of which to speak. I waited for 10 thru 6 and 7, thinking it was really going to be something new, which it is, but in reality it's the same RIM: Enterprize driven outfit that places consumers a very distant fifth or sixth in their hierarchy of interests. I need much more of a plug n play arrangement for my needs, because I'm simply not that interested in tech stuff (They call me Electro-Mechanical Man! And please, watch out for the miles long extension cord trailing behind me.)

I've always marveled at the potential of the Blackberry platform, but found the day to day performance couldn't match the possibilities, at least with my low-tech skills and motivation. So I'll slink (sic) slowly in the West, Oakland to be precise, back to my barren niche, a 9900 coupled with a competitor's slab (Not iPhone & never Google's), and play with my little dog. ;-) But while rocking on my porch, I'll keep an eye out this way to see if it comes together for we mere mortals, and if it won't call for too many classes at Work Around U., I'll probably be back in a year or so. I do like the hub and flow experience, and this great Classic pkb, but those alone bake not enough bread for me.

And I gotta state the obvious: Less than one percent market share, along with an OS that's only truly ready for the hard-working and highly-motivated denizens of this forum simply doesn't look good, no matter what the BYOD BES side is doing. And you want the carriers to take your wunnerchild seriously? Donate your time to sell them in-store (on commission of course), and offer free tech/mentor/shoulder-to-cry-on support. Plus do outreach demos at community events like street fairs, and malls too, really. (First amendment rights you know.) Because it's probably going to take something like that to keep this ball rolling, short of some other miracle. And then after the IRS approves your 501(C)3 status, go for the full-blown "Church" designation, hee hee. Y'all will have earned it.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Keyboard Kultist; 04-26-15 at 08:42 PM.
    Soapm and Mr4aces like this.
    04-26-15 01:52 AM
42 12