So I got a message from my husband yesterday through Facebook that he dropped his phone into his cup of coffee. (Stuff like this happens to him so much, and has since he was a kid, that we've dubbed them "McGuire Moments".) I told him to put it in a plastic bag with rice and seal it, and to leave it for at least 24 hours. What I found out last night when I got home is that he did what I told him to, AFTER he turned it back on to make a phone call, then he turned it off again, then when he tried to boot it up again, only the red light at the top of the screen would come on. He put it in the rice and left it in there all day and overnight. This morning, he took it out and tried to turn it on. The red light is still coming on, but nothing else seems to be powering up. I had the same battery in my government Blackberry 9930 so I let him try my battery, same thing. I can see that there is condensation in the screen area UNDER the glass. Is it possible that the phone is working, but the screen is kaput? Short of leaving it nearly indefinitely in the rice (with 2 silicone packets added last night from inside a purchase I picked up at Harbor Freight the same day), what can we do to troubleshoot to see if this phone is still revivable? I don't think he had insurance on it through Verizon. Thanks in advance for the help!
    04-19-15 06:54 AM
    Put it in the rice/silica for longer, a few days, or at least until there is no sign of condensation. Just a matter of luck after that.

On the plus side, check this out:

http://m.crackberry.com/all-blackber...shopblackberry

No better time to upgrade to BB10.
    04-19-15 07:26 AM
    What carrier are you on?

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 07:57 AM
    Ouch! I'm still the subject of humor here in the office for clumsily crushing a foam cup of hot coffee all over my Z10 while answering a very important call. My coffee included cream and sugar. lol. The device never fully recovered.

Pure water is bad enough. Coffee residuals further complicate things. I, personally, would prioritize toward first getting address book out of the device, JIC. From there i'd be looking for a good used 9900 or consider a Classic. He MIGHT get lucky but i'm one of those folks always thinking in terms of plan b, c, d, ...
    NYTOC83 likes this.
    04-19-15 08:10 AM
    We're both on Verizon, separate accounts. Wonderful, giving husband that he is, he let me use his use his upgrade to replace my phone when I lost my Z30 barely 6 months after I had switched to Verizon from Sprint and got my phone at a reduced price. So he's not due for an upgrade until January 2017.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 03:36 PM
    I have a few Sprint Q10 s I would have gave you one.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 05:48 PM
    I switched from Sprint to Verizon so my husband and I are both on Verizon now. Thank you, though.
    04-19-15 07:53 PM
    Anytime

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 09:21 PM
    Sort of a good news update: After spending all weekend in the bag of rice, my husband's 9930 finally powered on this morning. It seems to be working fine but still has a few condensation dots on the screen under the glass. I told him to leave it in the bag while he's at work. He can't take his cell phone into his office anyway so it can continue to get that condensation out. Thanks for the support!

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 06:34 AM
    Idsteve, I love your story about the coffee cup, too! Sounds like a McGuire Moment to me! My husband drinks his coffee black so I think the lack of additional gooeyness helped a bit.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 06:37 AM