Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 09:53 PM
    The answer would depend on the city you are a resident of and the band utilized by AT&T for LTE in that city. I am using a Z30 STA 100-5 in Portland, Or. On AT&T. I cannot get LTE coverage here because AT&T utilizes band 17 in my city. The STA 100-5 does not support band 17 so I get 4G coverage only. Data transmission is reasonable with 4G but not as fast as LTE. Luckily I don't really care because I do heavy data transmission over a wifi network only. So, check out the band for LTE in your city and then buy the model that supports it. Unfortunately for me, the STA100-1 model that supports LTE band 17 never went to market. There are likely some out there but I have never been able to find a legitimate seller.
    Last edited by Mozdony; 04-14-15 at 01:36 PM.
    04-12-15 10:09 PM
    The answer would depend on the city you are a resident of and the band utilized by AT&T for LTE in that city. I am using a Z30 STA 100-5 in Portland, Or. On AT&T. I cannot get LTE coverage here because AT&T utilizes band 17 in my city. The STA 100-5 does not support band 17 so I get 4G coverage only. Data transmission is reasonable with 4G but not as fast as LTE. Luckily I don't really care because I do heavy data transmission over a wifi network only. So, check out the band for LTE in your city and then by the model that supports it. Unfortunately for me, the STA100-1 model that supports LTE band 17 never went to market. There are likely some out there but I have never been able to find a legitimate seller.
    Hey I thought I was the only BlackBerry 10 user in Portland! I have never seen another in the wild. I got a z10 and looking to get a z30 soon.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 10:42 PM
    How Do you find out what band is used in my area?

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 10:43 PM
    How Do you find out what band is used in my area?

Posted via CB10
    Best way is to look at the stats on an AT&T phone that you know supports LTE coverage in your area. That should give you a good idea of the band that you need. Also, call AT&T customer service and ask them which band they broadcast LTE data on in your area. If it is band 17, as it is in Portland, Or., you will not be able to get LTE data since the Z30 STA100-1 model which supports that band is not available. Interestingly, TMobile broadcasts LTE on band 4 in my area and my STA100-5 supports that band. So, if I really wanted LTE coverage in Portland, Or., I would have to move to TMobile.
    04-12-15 11:37 PM
    Hey I thought I was the only BlackBerry 10 user in Portland! I have never seen another in the wild. I got a z10 and looking to get a z30 soon.

Posted via CB10
    My wife and I started with AT&T-locked Z10's over two years ago. Great phone! But, when the unlocked Z30 hit 250 dollars last Christmas delivered to Portland by Shop Blackberry we jumped on the deal. The Z10 is great, but the Z30 is better! We are extremely happy we made the leap to the bigger screen even though we can no longer get LTE coverage on AT&T. You also lose the ability to sync the AT&T Address book on an unlocked phone. However, I no longer have to wait on AT&T to get over-the-air firmware updates. I can now get them directly from Blackberry by removing my AT&T SIM, restarting my phone, starting wifi and then checking for updates. By doing this procedure, the unlocked phone grabs the latest directly from the Blackberry servers and downloads it. I check every time I read about a new firmware update on Crackberry. Love it!
    Also, the Z30 has awesome stereo speakers and a built in special antenna upgrade that adds one bar to my coverage over what the Z10 could do. The Z30 also supports FM radio, Miracast, and USB on the go and it's build quality is better. Wait for the next sale and take the jump, you will not be sorry!
    FF22 and kbrant64 like this.
    04-12-15 11:59 PM
    Mozdony, until two weeks ago I did not even know the Z30 had an FM radio (headphone cord inserted becomes its antenna) and again forgot about it until I read your reply above. One of its other well-kept secrets.
    Mozdony likes this.
    04-13-15 08:46 AM
    I have the Passport, how do I check it to find that info? It lists half a dozen or so bands under the about setting

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 09:52 AM
    I have the Passport, how do I check it to find that info? It lists half a dozen or so bands under the about setting

Posted via CB10
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...encies-961279/

However, if you are wanting to use a Passport on AT&T, get the AT&T branded one.
    BlackBerry Passport -- AT&T
    04-13-15 10:48 AM
    I have an AT&T passport. I'm wanting to get the right Z30 for AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 04:02 PM
    Wow you guys are a little negative here. -5 model is the official unofficial att model. Some city's like Chicago will give you lte. Some won't! That's the simple answer! Get it at amazon or shop blackberry and other high end places.

As long as you have great 4g speed you will not miss lte.

Posted from a Z30. Get one!
    04-13-15 06:25 PM
    I was using my 100-5 Z30 on AT&T In New York a couple of hours north of NYC and I got LTE about one-third to about half the time, otherwise 4G. I wasn't expecting to get LTE at all from what I read so I was happy to see it come up as soon as I powered up my new phone.

 Living the life, posting via BB Z30 
    04-13-15 09:38 PM
    I have an AT&T passport. I'm wanting to get the right Z30 for AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    Here is some more information:

Your AT&T Passport receives LTE data on bands 1,2,3,4, 5,7,17 and 20. Assuming that you are currently getting LTE on your passport, you need to isolate which band, in your city, is giving you access to that data and then try and find a Z30 that can operate on that band. The STA100-5 model, for instance, receives LTE data only on bands 4,5 and 7. In many cities, AT&T does operate on one of those three bands. There is a post elsewhere on Crackberry wherein readers have identified their location and whether or not they receive LTE data with the STA100-5 model that is currently being sold on ShopBlackberry.com. Additionally, there is an app called, " LTE Discovery" that you could download to your Passport (it may be an android app) and run. It should identify the LTE band that your Passport is using. It is a free app and worth trying. Again, if you can identify the LTE band being utilized by AT&T in your area, you may be able to get a Z30 model that will use that band. There are, at least, six different models of the Z30 and each has an identified set of LTE bands on which it receives data. Unfortunately, the model that was meant to be the AT&T model was never released (STA100-1). Only that model covers band 17 which is the band that AT&T uses here in Portland, OR. I hope this helps.

Further update: "LTE Discovery", the app referenced above, is an android app and is available on Snap and, I think, the Google Play Store. It is not available on the Amazon App Store.
    Last edited by Mozdony; 04-14-15 at 12:30 PM.
    04-14-15 11:58 AM
    Why not get it unlocked? It's the best option IMO.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 03:18 PM
    LTE band my PP uses is 17.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 07:08 PM
    LTE band my PP uses is 17.

Posted via CB10
    That seems to be the case in several cities in America. Other than the Z30 STA100-1, there are no models that offer that LTE band. Likely, all that you will be able to get is 4G data. Slower than LTE but very workable. So, the 100-5 unit ought to work for 4G data in your area, at least it does in mine.
    Do not forget, the STA100-5 model will likely give you LTE data speeds on TMobile, if you decide you need high data transfer speed. I tried a TMobile SIM in my STA100-5 for a couple of days and the data speed was just about 60 megabits per second on their LTE network. I get a measured 6.5 megabits per second with AT&T's 4G network. But, call coverage with TMobile is just not as good as AT&T so I stayed with AT&T. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mozdony; 04-14-15 at 08:21 PM.
    04-14-15 07:46 PM
    Got it for the gf. Haven't really noticed any difference between 4g and LTE. It's run pretty smoothly.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 10:54 AM
    If your area has at&t Band 4 LTE, like Chicagoland, then I suggest you do as I did and get a Verizon (100-3) Z30. For me, Band 4 LTE works well with the at&t SIM in my VZW Z30. You would get Qi charging capability out of the box, and the flexibility of switching between at&t and Verizon. I'm soon taking my Z30 back to Verizon's network.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 12:06 PM
    Got it for the gf. Haven't really noticed any difference between 4g and LTE. It's run pretty smoothly.

Posted via CB10
    its a really stupid and ignorant argument isn't it! 4g on a lte tower is faster than alot of people home based internet connection.
    04-26-15 02:15 PM
    I bought STA 100-5 last week and I don't get LTE in Tampa on AT&T. Pay the extra $50 and get the Leap if you want LTE on AT&T. No, 4G HSPA is not fast compared to LTE. I have Verizon FIOS as my Wi-Fi and LTE keeps up. Anybody on TMO in Tampa want to buy a Z30? Leap, here I come!!

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 03:13 PM
    Get the STA100-5 I got my about two weeks ago. No LTE, but contrary to what everyone says the 4G is awesome; and I went from a Z10 with LTE. There's a thread around here somewhere where people reported locations and then a list was put together stating what cities had LTE service. Regardless you'll get the 100-5 as the 100-1 is well it isn't.

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    04-26-15 04:47 PM
    Just how fast can you saturate the processing power power of this phone? My guess is that anything over 3mbps streaming is a waste.

So if an average 4g down speed is 7mbps on a lte tower. So what? It's a worthless argument unless you want to downloaded torrents using a blackberry. How long until your grandfathered plan is throttled. How many of us are left that have the plan and actually want to do this?
    BTW. Average LTE speed on att is 11mbps. Oooooooo Oooooooo. Oooooooo

The real battle is poor 4g performance on 4g towers and 3g towers wearing a 4g costume.
    Where is the outrage there?

Posted from a Z30. Get one!
    04-27-15 01:27 PM
    If your area has at&t Band 4 LTE, like Chicagoland, then I suggest you do as I did and get a Verizon (100-3) Z30. For me, Band 4 LTE works well with the at&t SIM in my VZW Z30. You would get Qi charging capability out of the box, and the flexibility of switching between at&t and Verizon. I'm soon taking my Z30 back to Verizon's network.

Posted via CB10
    I was using the ATTsim out of my work provided IP4s in my Verizon Z30 until I figured out the great coverage that Verizon has. If you use the ATT sim in the z30 for verizon you will get great reception and get LTE in bigger cities. Why not get the best of both worlds and have a choice
    Avenzuno likes this.
    04-27-15 06:00 PM