Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this or not, but whenever I lock my keypad (or the screen is off), I won't get an SMS alert, just the red notification light. However, if the screen is on and I already have the phone out, I get the SMS alert sound and notification light blinking. Is this just my phone? E-mail and MMS tones work all the time.. not sure what's up with SMS but it's very annoying and I keep missing all my texts.
    11-23-08 06:02 PM
    I think that has happened to me also. Maybe it will be fixed with the update tomorrow
    11-23-08 06:07 PM
    I think that has happened to me also. Maybe it will be fixed with the update tomorrow
    Hopefully! Have you tried running the "updates" through Desktop Manager yet? I was thinking of giving that a shot now just to see if re-installing the OS would do anything.

EDIT: Tried it, no dice.
    Last edited by Jutt; 11-23-08 at 07:03 PM.
    11-23-08 06:22 PM
    I know this post is from about a month ago, but I've been trying to find an answer to your question because my phone is doing the same thing. It wasn't doing this until I changed from one preloaded BB tone to another preloaded BB tone. I can't figure it out. When the phone is locked or idle it makes no SMS sound, but it was as recently as yesterday. If anyone has any info on this and/or how to fix it, please let me know. Thanks.
    12-19-08 04:05 PM
    I wasnt running .65 long enough to notice it. But the leaked .75 did it intermittently. I just loaded .83 and hopefully it fixes it.
    12-19-08 07:16 PM
    This was happening to me as well with the profile LIGHTSPEED. I think that one has a bug, so I switched to another, and now it works just fine. Did you try changing to another tone?
    12-19-08 09:44 PM
    Wow, that's crazy...I was using the Lightspeed tone. I did a battery pull and changed it to something else and now it's working. I'm guessing the Lightspeed tone has a bug. Hopefully it'll get fixed with the new OS update, that was my favorite SMS tone on my 8830.
    12-20-08 12:37 PM
    I am so glad I just read this... I was ready to throw my damn storm... I could not figure out why my text alert was not sounding 100% of the time... not even 40% of the time... and then I realized that I had just changed it to LightSpeed... aaaarrrrgggghhhhh RIM better get this damn phone right soon!!!
    12-22-08 10:54 AM
    I have an 8220, and last night my txt message tone stopped working. I checked the incoming call tones, they work fine. I changed the txt message tone, it still won't work. It worked fine until last night...I even checked my profile, everything is fine there. Can anyone help me?
    12-22-08 12:24 PM
    I get that problem occasionally as well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 02:05 PM
    Well add my Storm to the bunch. Since upgrading to .75 the only other change was to SMS notifer and it quit working as well as all email. The phone rings fine and Calendar alerts on any of the ringtones.
    12-22-08 06:57 PM
    I know in BB Messenger, if your status is set to unavailable, you will hear no sounds, no vibrations, and no LED light, but you will get your messages.

Also, in .83 if you have any IM service or Messages shortcut to one of the shortcut keys on the side of the Storm it will not notify you of new messages. Also, if you have the switch application shortcuted to one of the keys, you will not be able to access it through the menu. (Pressing and holding menu will still work)

-Hope this helps
    12-22-08 07:02 PM

Well add my Storm to the bunch. Since upgrading to .75 the only other change was to SMS notifier and it quit working as well as all email. The phone rings fine and Calendar alerts on any of the ringtones.
    Well, not sure if this will help with all but I reinstated all the default ring tones and alerts to what was Default (not sure if I got them all but it worked anyway. Made sure all entries IE. email addresses were in the Service Book and resent it. The finally I did a battery pull and let it sit for a few minutes then after rebooting I have all my sounds again. Not sure if I needed all this but it worked.
    12-23-08 12:19 AM
    This was happening to me as well with the profile LIGHTSPEED. I think that one has a bug, so I switched to another, and now it works just fine. Did you try changing to another tone?
    I had the same problem as you did. I switched to a different tone and the problem was solved.
    12-23-08 12:46 AM
    Im still getting this problem from time to time anyone no of fixes for it yet
    12-24-08 07:45 AM
    I know in BB Messenger, if your status is set to unavailable, you will hear no sounds, no vibrations, and no LED light, but you will get your messages.
    No wonder...I was wondering why I no longer got notification of new BBM IM's and now I know. Thanks for the info!
    12-27-08 01:23 PM
    I have been having the same problem, and yes, I use the Lightspeed notifier! I can actually hear my phone make a click sound as the speaker turns on, but the alert does not sound every time. After reading this thread I switched to a different alert tone. So far so good... Thanks! (My profile says I have the Curve... I now have the Storm... guess I should change that.)
    Last edited by ZaNiaC; 12-29-08 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Profile/handset type errror
    12-29-08 10:55 PM
    i am having the same problem..i only had the storm for a day and i already missed 27 sms due to non sounding alert..i have my profile set to custom but it still isnt working any help would be great..by the way my storm came with OS.74 and it was made in canada is that matters at all
    12-30-08 12:21 PM
    I am having the same issue, on .99. This happend on all ver .75 .86 .90. It seems to fail when your screen backlight times out. Once your screen times out you sometimes get the first notification and the following msgs go unheard. The only way I can get notification to work is to set email and sms to vibrate "on" and use "Timer_3Beeps" as the ring tone. These settings enabled me to have notifications on consecutive messages. I am a BES user and rely on my bb notifications. Very suprised that this bug isn't all over the forums! I guess there are a lot of users that don't msg often enough to notice that they have missed several messages.
    02-25-09 11:05 AM
    I found the solution to this problem. I wiped my device of all data and 3rd party apps and let it to nothing by my customized ring tone (mp3) and the system and the problem still existed. I used another ringtone that was a WAV file and the problem went away.

To convert your ringtone from MP3 to WAV just use audacity (http: //audacity. sourceforge. net/). Hopefully this solves your problems. I am now running 109 and loving it

- Keyser Soze
    02-25-09 11:17 AM
    I found the solution to this problem. I wiped my device of all data and 3rd party apps and let it to nothing by my customized ring tone (mp3) and the system and the problem still existed. I used another ringtone that was a WAV file and the problem went away.

To convert your ringtone from MP3 to WAV just use audacity (http: //audacity. sourceforge. net/). Hopefully this solves your problems. I am now running 109 and loving it

- Keyser Soze
    Agreed. Im on my third Storm for this problem. Then I wiped my phone and used a different alert and now it works no problem. I was ready to sell this phone because of this problem. Thankfully I figured out that wiping the phone fixed it....
    02-25-09 01:57 PM
    I know this thread is a little old, but im still experiencing this issue; Im currently running version .113. Anyways, to follow up on what these guys have been saying, the only fix i've heard of, and found that actually works, is downloading the lightspeed alert as an mp3.

Here's a link to the lightspeed .mp3 file.

Notifier_LightSpeed.mp3

Just download the file, save it to your device, and choose the option to change the alert > browse and select the new .mp3 file.

Hope this helps.
    04-26-09 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD