Hello all-

Just got my Bold on Friday (iPhone convert) and am loving it.

I had a question regarding the FM radio. According the the lit., the bold should have an FM radio built in, and I want to know how to use it.

I know about FlyCast and the like, but would like to listen to local stations that don't all have streams up and running. How do I get this thing to tune to FM radio stations?

There must be a way!

Thanks from a BB noob.
    11-23-08 02:18 PM
    I have never seen anything about a built in FM tuner. Where did you see this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 02:31 PM
    I can't post URLs since I don't have 10 posts, but it's on the AT&T page for the Bold.

Under the "music" heading

I assumed that they didn't mean streaming radio, since it is listed separately from "streaming".
    11-23-08 02:36 PM
    hmm i just checked the at&ts website and it sure does say that they have FM radios built in. I havent found it on mine but i suppose it doesnt mean that it isnt in there. I guess thats a good question for at&t.

I shall call CS promptly.

Someone let me know if they know how to use it a well.
    11-23-08 02:47 PM
    That would be nice to know. I would rather listen to my local stations than half of the ones through the radio apps currently available.

11-23-08 03:53 PM
    hmm i just checked the at&ts website and it sure does say that they have FM radios built in. I havent found it on mine but i suppose it doesnt mean that it isnt in there. I guess thats a good question for at&t.

I shall call CS promptly.

Someone let me know if they know how to use it a well.
    Wow. Yes, please keep us looped in on this one. Would be great to know one way or another.

11-23-08 05:09 PM
    I just got mine Thursday and was trying to figure the same thing out. I'm somewhat happy with flycast but would love to get local stations as well.
    11-23-08 05:58 PM
    Would anybody be surprised if it simply turns out that AT&T goofed?
    11-23-08 05:59 PM
    There is no FM tuner in the Bold.

If there is, then AT&T has a special unit that the other carriers don't have. Very unlikely! Onwards, my litigious American friends!

What probably happened is that the person doing the writeup for the ad doesn't have a Bold, and got confused between "Stereo streaming" and the section where it normally says stereo, and might have thought streaming meant that the headphone jack was streaming out stereophonic sound as opposed to monophonic that most phones come with. (Let me know what you discover.)

That said, I have been playing with streaming radio today.

-Moodio
    -Flycast
    -Nobex radio companion
    -some sites that have direct streams to mobile phones like soma.fm

Moodio lets you pick the bitrate.. the way their process works is, they take the source signal, change it to PCM, then re-encode it as aac and send it to you. In this case, you *want* to use parametric stereo, not stereo. The way parametric works is that it uses a mono signal, and adds a little bit extra for stereo dimension.. as opposed to the bitrate being cut in half in standard stereo streams.. so the bitrate is actually higher as a result.. Me, I am using mono only, because well, I don't have hearing in both ears. There are no pictures or song information with moodio due to using the blackberry mediaplayer. Moodio will work over wifi by itself and does not need cellular to be on.

Flycast has a decent interface, I managed to get it to freeze up solid once. Works fine, I have no problem with it though the user interface shouldn't split down the middle and have the pictures on the right side only. You can't pick the bitrate, and have no idea what you're getting. Flycast will operate over wifi by itself and does not need cellular to be on.

Nobex Radio Companion has a prettier interface in that it's got the picture in the middle of the screen. You can't pick the bitrate and have no idea what you're getting. It's still a bit rough around the edges.. I saw a clue while installing it, that indicated it might be possible to run Nobex under a BIS-B transport.. unless it was another app. You can't pick this transport from inside the application so it might be a one-time only thing with the radio off. Nobex also requires a cellular signal to work. It will play music over wifi, but needs the cellular to guide it.

Moodio pro:
    -You pick the stations yourself
    -You pick the bitrate (within limits)
    -You can run over wifi only

Moodio con:
    -No pictures, song information or anything else
    -Requires the BB browser, so if you want to be surfing at the same time, you need to have Opera installed too

Flycast pro:
    -Song info
    -Decent interface
    -Wifi only mode

Flycast con:
    -No bitrate selection
    -No pick your own station

Nobex pro:
    -Pretty
    -Song info

Nobex con:
    -No wifi only mode
    -No bitrate selection
    -No pick your own stations

I also have a suspicion that some modes of playing peg the cpu harder than others but I am unable to tell at the moment.
    11-23-08 06:01 PM
    That sounds like it may be a misleading statement, some kind of streaming service AT&T is pimping I'm guessing.

I'm using Moodio.fm currently

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/moo...king-3g-81164/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/www-...g-music-48201/

There's others out there too...

Welcome to Crackberry!

Take advantage of the very helpful BB 101. BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com . Also the powerfull search engine to dig through this bottomless pit of Crackberry knowledge for stuff already answered. Post on those existing threads or post a new one if need be. Many folks here happy to help. Some searching tips... Go To: Search Forums / Advanced Search / Key word search / search by title / "pick a key word" that comes to mind and you might stumble upon some answers and/or clues. Or search by Post content...

Launch your addiction into the next dimension. Go to wap.crackberry.com (from your phone) and install your CB Launcher.

No worries Intervention is not in our vocabulary here, enjoy your addiction to the fullest.
    11-23-08 06:04 PM
    Maybe they meant to reference the XM that is available?

just a thought,
    B.
    11-23-08 07:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD