My friend decided to join our ranks and purchased a white BlackBerry Z30 from Crackberry. She just received it today and set it up. But, the APN settings are incorrect and so, she can't use anything data related. She has called Bell, and the reps are saying that she needs a BlackBerry data plan.

I Googled and found an old thread where it says that on Bell, even BlackBerry 10 phones will not be able to use their regular Smartphone plans despite them no longer depending on BIS for data. This thread was last updated a while ago, so I'm hoping that Bell has changed their tune since.

She isn't willing to change plans because she was grandfathered in (I think she gets 6GB for $30). If someone could help me get the data working, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!
    03-26-15 09:13 PM
    I don't think they changed their tune, they still enforce that old nonsense.
    03-26-15 09:35 PM
    Try changing the APN settings to pda.bell.ca
    Should get access to your regular data services on your current regular data plan

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 09:41 PM
    I'm pretty sure I didn't have to change my data plan when I was with bell. All I had was pda.bell.ca in apn.

Try that . I'd my z30 with bell for more than 7 months before switching to koodo.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 09:43 PM
    No need for a BlackBerry data plan.

APN on my BlackBerry Z30 on Bell is blackberry. net btw. No username or password.

Phone is unlocked, purchased on ShopBlackBerry.com

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-26-15 09:44 PM
    Bell working on the Blackberry Z10 BES/BIS required problem - Page 3

According to here as long as the APN setting can be edited, just change it to pda.bell.net.
    03-26-15 09:47 PM
    I have a BlackBerry z30 on the Bell network.
    My APN is blackberry.net
    No username or password

Post via my BlackBerry  Z30!
    Attachment 344028
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-26-15 09:50 PM
    From what I know, even though BlackBerry 10 devices do not require a BlackBerry-specific data plan in order to access data services, Bell still requires that your plan is considered a "BlackBerry" data plan (although the only difference is the APNs that are automatically provisioned for your SIM card).

I ran into this a couple of years ago when I was first trying out a Z10 and I was on Bell -- thought it wouldn't be a problem, swapped my SIM into the demo device I had been loaned, and no dice. 45 minutes on the phone with Bell later and I wound up having to change my plan because at the time the version of BB OS 10 that was out didn't support editing the APN settings when a Bell SIM was used (the field would show up, but you couldn't edit it).

Thankfully, the issue of not being able to change the APN setting has been resolved for quite some time now and you should be able to set the APN settings manually and put in pda.bell.ca.
    03-26-15 11:55 PM
    Thanks, guys/gals. I will try editing her APN settings tomorrow when I see her.

You've been a great help. Unlike Bell.
    nick13b likes this.
    03-27-15 01:10 AM
    From what I know, even though BlackBerry 10 devices do not require a BlackBerry-specific data plan in order to access data services, Bell still requires that your plan is considered a "BlackBerry" data plan (although the only difference is the APNs that are automatically provisioned for your SIM card).

I ran into this a couple of years ago when I was first trying out a Z10 and I was on Bell -- thought it wouldn't be a problem, swapped my SIM into the demo device I had been loaned, and no dice. 45 minutes on the phone with Bell later and I wound up having to change my plan because at the time the version of BB OS 10 that was out didn't support editing the APN settings when a Bell SIM was used (the field would show up, but you couldn't edit it).

Thankfully, the issue of not being able to change the APN setting has been resolved for quite some time now and you should be able to set the APN settings manually and put in pda.bell.ca.
    What advantage is there to be changing the apn to pda.bell.ca? From blackberry.net

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 02:34 AM
    The only advantage to changing it to pda.bell.ca from blackberry.net would be if you are unable to access data services on the Bell network due to not having a BlackBerry provisioned data plan on your account. pda.bell.ca is the APN that other types of devices (such as Android, Windows Phone, iPhone, etc) use to access data and works fine with BlackBerry 10 as well.
    nick13b and Bbnivende like this.
    03-27-15 02:57 AM
    My Z30 was originally a Rogers phone and now is unlocked. I have a Bell simcard and here is a screenshot of my APN settings:

Unlocked Z30 on Bell?-img_20150327_093058.png

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 03-27-15 at 05:15 PM.
    03-27-15 10:33 AM
    I know for certain when I switched from an Android phone to BB10 a couple yrs ago the reps there told me I did NOT need a special BlackBerry plan and the only reason they did switch me to one was because of a promotion in which I received the exact same plan but it was cheaper by $10/mo for 12 months. If indeed you cannot keep the same plan from an Android device I would work your way up the ladder at Bell because we all know what they're telling you is BS.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 01:27 PM
    I'm with Bell and unless someone say otherwise, you need a BlackBerry plan for BlackBerry 10 device. However you can try to change your APN settings manually to pda.bell.net

There is no special advantage of keeping a BlackBerry plan, unless you still carry a legacy device around... then you can switch from one to the other by swapping sim cards. Also, you also get to keep an old plan.

Also, Bell don't even keep BlackBerry plans anymore on their website. Basically they are just the same as a standard plan with a different APN.

Not sure why Bell decided to go that way.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 02:16 PM
    I have a unlocked BlackBerry z30 on Bell.

Just change apn to pda.bell.ca

You don't need a blackberry plan.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 03:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    Does it revert back to BlackBerry.net when you remove and put the sim back?

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 03:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    What advantages disadvantages to changing the APN on an unlocked Z10 on Bell to pda.bell.ca?

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 03:23 PM
    Bell gave me this runaround too. If you want to use a BlackBerry you need a BlackBerry plan. I have an old plan which I refuse to lose so there was no way I was changing it.

If I throw my Bell sim into any bb10 phone I have no data. No little BlackBerry symbol in the upper right hand corner. APN setting automatically sets blackberry.net. I assume on Bell's end.

Bought a factory unlocked z30, stuck my sim in and changed the APN settings to pda.bell.ca. BlackBerry symbol showed up and I immediately had data (I may have rebooted first but, I honestly don't remember).

It's my understanding that you can't edit the APN settings on locked phones however.

I also can't explain the difference or benefits of blackberry.net vs pda.bell.ca. If it's working and you have data there's no benefit to one over the other. In my case only one works so that's why I personally have to change it.

I fought Bell for months on this issue with no luck and much time wasted. I found the answer here myself so I hope some of this helps.

I still have absolutely no idea why Bell recognizes bb10 phones differently than any other smartphone but, they do. Maybe somebody here who works for Bell or understands network infrastructure better can chime in?
    03-27-15 07:05 PM
    Mine works on Blackberry.net but I went from a locked 9900 to a unlocked Z10.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 07:34 PM
    Just an update: I changed her APN to pda.bell.ca and the data came on. It didn't show 4GLTE , but "H" instead. I don't know if this was due to the reception where we were, or if Bell is being Bell again. However, the data is not slow and works well. Thank you everyone.
    FF22, SnapzGEG and Zeridialous like this.
    03-27-15 11:55 PM
    Just an update: I changed her APN to pda.bell.ca and the data came on. It didn't show 4GLTE , but "H" instead. I don't know if this was due to the reception where we were, or if Bell is being Bell again. However, the data is not slow and works well. Thank you everyone.
    Maybe try turning off GSM and set it to LTE/HSPA only. Bell/Telus doesn't have a 2G network so it might be messing up the radio.
    03-28-15 09:19 PM
    Bell's LTE coverage can be pretty crappy depending on where you are so even if you have it enabled, you may only get 3G or 'H'. I'm on Virgin (which is on the Bell network) and this is one of the reasons I don't use LTE coverage since where I live and most of the places I frequent, I don't get strong enough LTE coverage and leaving it there just drains your battery faster.
    03-29-15 11:45 AM
    I have an old 9900 and just bought an unlocked z30 thru staples. I have a very old plan with unlimited bis data. I see bell still requires a bb data plan. Can I just pop in my sim and change the apn to blackberry.net to keep using my old plan with unlimited data.
    03-30-15 11:53 PM
    I have an old 9900 and just bought an unlocked z30 thru staples. I have a very old plan with unlimited bis data. I see bell still requires a bb data plan. Can I just pop in my sim and change the apn to blackberry.net to keep using my old plan with unlimited data.
    No the Sim in your 9900 will not support LTE. That was my experience. The Bell store just gave me the new Sim . There is no BIS data so I am not sure what they will give you for data.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 12:04 AM
    You'll have to monitor it. Some grandfather data plans are provisioned and will only get HSPA service. On my Z10 with Bell my ULT BlackBerry data plan from my 9900 days worked but I couldn't get LTE with that plan. Then my company switched the employee plans (2 GB per month with better voice plan), now I get LTE on my Z30.

Now I have more speed and less data, go figure! Personally, HSPA when I had the ULT BlackBerry plan on my Z10 was fine. Hotspotted my entire house once with 3-4 devices from my Z10 over HSPA, plus battery life is always better as well because LTE is a hog!

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    03-31-15 07:22 AM
28 12