I didn't have the guts - nor wanted to set irrational expectations - to publish this "idea" when I read that not only Windows10 upgrade was free but that it'll be available for several Android devices as a ROM. Yet, now it's live, I'll let you elaborate about this, mixed with all the partnerships we currently see happening. For once, rooting capabilities could be something really convenient for BB10 and I do believe MANY Android hardware owners will - at least - give it a try. And I'm still trying to find a counter-positive about it ... without finding it, especially in the consumers' space.

BB10 is an OS that requires less chip power than last Android builds. This could bring back to life a lot of N-1 gen Android devices and seduce users that want a more modern OS without spending piles of $. [edit : this seems to be fairly diputable argument, see below]

Again, it goes straight in the "try and love" strategy.

Enjoy. This might be the shock news (as per usual : I have zero insider info about this, just personal thoughts, salt it 100%).

Giving Away Free BlackBerry 10 OS To Android Phone Users Could Be Decisive - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-20-15 at 05:39 AM.
    03-20-15 04:07 AM
    High production costs will be a major deterrent for BlackBerry to make an OS 10 rom coupled with little returns, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I would definitely install it on my android devices though. And I'm guessing a lot of people would too. It'll be a great day for BlackBerry to introduce it's services to a broader mass. But as I said, I don't have blackberry can finance development of a rom right now. Besides, Microsoft has the money to burn.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR, sh369 and JosevuN3 like this.
    03-20-15 04:22 AM
    I must say I don't have a fair view of induced costs and you might have pointed out a fair hiccup here.
    Yet, "mixed with all the partnerships we currently see happening" was somehow here in purpose ... we know Samsung would like to be less google dependant, so that they might add to the effort (HW wise ? SW wise ? => no clue).
    03-20-15 04:28 AM
    I must say I don't have a fair view of induced costs and you might have pointed out a fair hiccup here.
    Yet, "mixed with all the partnerships we currently see happening" was somehow here in purpose ... we know Samsung would like to be less google dependant, so that they might add to the effort (HW wise ? SW wise ? => no clue).
    I think for now Samsung might be in this partnership "Services wise". There hasn't been any rumour of a phone that one can say spots Samsung hardware (except for the "Slider") but we've heard news of Samsung Knox partnering with BES. Maybe Samsung might build the hardware for BlackBerry devices but I don't see them making or helping to make a rom for android devices. It would be counter intuitive if they did.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 04:40 AM
    BB10 is an OS that requires less chip power than last Android builds. This could bring back to life a lot of N-1 gen Android devices and seduce users that want a more modern OS without spending piles of $.
    This is probably not true. Outside of the flagships, many last gen Androids do not have 2 GB RAM and Snapdragon S4 is still a better chipset versus many low/mid end Androids such as the Snapdragon 400 in the Moto G (2014). Furthermore, because BB10 relies on an Android runtime, BB10 will almost always be less efficient/more demanding than Android outside its very limited native ecosystem.
    03-20-15 04:44 AM
    Furthermore, there is performance loss from using the Android runtime and the phones will run Android apps better using Android than BB10.
    Well, that's not the (my) idea; idea is running native core apps and "failover" for Android's
    Thanks for the specs check (edited OP); I'm definitely not an Android guy.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-20-15 at 05:14 AM.
    03-20-15 04:54 AM
    1. Very few people would pay to install another OS on their phone. Why pay even 10$ to install BB10 when you already have Android for free and with a better ecosystem.
    2. The lowest ammount of ram that BB10 is ran is 1.5 GB (Z3). Most mid-end Android phones have 1 GB of ram . They won't be able to properly run BB10. BB10 requires so much ram probably because of the Android runtime inside BB10.
    3. Giving away such a ROM would simply be the end of BB hardware. Why buy BB phones when you can just install BB10 on any existing Android phone?
    03-20-15 05:21 AM
    Not a bad idea BUT
    Windows and BlackBerry have one common issue- Inability of side loading of native applications.
    Whether agree or not but this is the biggest deterrent for these OSs. BlackBerry should allow side loading with adequate security safeguards for enterprise needs.
    Symbian, MeeGo and now Android even Sailfish all have application side loading and there is no dearth of Developers of these OSs.
    Another BIG factor is RIM. They really don't want to promote their very good OS and devices. Majority of consumers still unaware of new BB10 OS and it's capabilities. So on propaganda front BlackBerry is failed.
    And finally the media which loves Android so much that they never complain about same OS, Same Design handsets, Power Hungry OS and never ending quest for multi Core and RAM.
    03-20-15 05:27 AM
    Very few people would pay to install another OS on their phone
    +
    Giving away such a ROM would simply be the end of BB hardware. Why buy BB phones when you can just install BB10 on any existing Android phone?
    "giving away free [...]"
    And I believe that HW for individuals is not a sector where BlackBerry is going to invest in the near future.
    As a combo answer (for charli3fresh, re- costs), I'd say that developing a ROM may be way cheaper than both going Android and build/market a specs killing device for consumers.

But I will absolutely strike out my HW specs comment, irrelevant. My bad.
    03-20-15 05:39 AM
    Maybe Samsung might build the hardware for BlackBerry devices but I don't see them making or helping to make a rom for android devices. It would be counter intuitive if they did.
    Well, I believe they can help with components like screens, for instance (as you mentioned it for slider/curved screen). They have huge production scales, that is : lower prices for latest/best specs.

This could be a nice test drive on selected devices (that's the way it'll be for MS/W10) and a pretty cheap occasion for Samsung to bring the pressure on Google Android domination ... but you can stamp this "speculative" 100%, just my 2cts.

Overall, what I mean here is that it is at least as pertinent (feasability, costs, competitive advantage, ... ) than running Android OS on BlackBerry devices (discussed here : http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...r-1003802-new/ let's keep both co-existing !).
    03-20-15 05:47 AM
    I would like to try win10 on my Z30
    Jas00555 likes this.
    03-20-15 06:41 AM
    The security built in to BB10 requires all the hardware devices to sign themselves at startup. To get BB10 on random devices, you'll have to strip that out, thereby defeating half the reason of using BB10. Putting the hub on android devices makes a lot more sense.
    howarmat likes this.
    03-20-15 07:40 AM
    QNX Hypervisor is something that I don't see enough people talking about....
    03-20-15 08:40 AM
    The security built in to BB10 requires all the hardware devices to sign themselves at startup. To get BB10 on random devices, you'll have to strip that out, thereby defeating half the reason of using BB10. Putting the hub on android devices makes a lot more sense.
    Yeah, plus... what percentage of Android users actually know how to flash a new ROM... or what a ROM is.

Most of these folk are intimidated by things like buying an unlocked phone that's not directly handed over to them in a carrier store ("and they even transferred my contacts,.. it was great").

BlackBerry has a much better chance of anything by providing single-tap install apps/add-ons.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    03-20-15 09:00 AM
    This may be something BlackBerry is working on. Might even be doing it with Samsung.
    But I think it more likely BlackBerry is looking at ways to make Droid more secure and just add in the good stuff from BB10.

BlackBerry hates America!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-20-15 09:17 AM
    BB has always said their security goes down to the HW level. If you can do what OP is suggesting, BB would lose that aspect. I doubt BB is willing to compromise on that.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-20-15 09:49 AM
    Furthermore, because BB10 relies on an Android runtime, BB10 will almost always be less efficient/more demanding than Android outside its very limited native ecosystem.
    BB10 doesn't rely on an Android runtime. It just provides one as a VM.
    03-20-15 10:01 AM
    BlackBerry can't even get their own updates right (eg. Screen flickering in Passport). Why on earth would they want to release it as a ROM for other hardware?
    mikeo007 and vbdwork like this.
    03-20-15 10:08 AM
    Then I call Samsung again ... remember they (BlackBerry) added knox enabled devices management into BES12 ?
    It's not that far fetched to believe they already have another robust method going. Plus, I scoped this to consumers, not for enterprises.

Most of these folk are intimidated by things like buying an unlocked phone that's not directly handed over to them in a carrier store ("and they even transferred my contacts,.. it was great").
    Therefore, I'd tend to prefer a selection of brand/devices with a ready-to-go procedure, granted by the brand (i.e : easy setup).
    03-20-15 10:24 AM
    BB10 doesn't rely on an Android runtime. It just provides one as a VM.
    I don't think that he meant BB10 as an OS itself relies on the runtime, but instead that without the ecosystem bump provided by the Android runtime there'd be less interest in BB10.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    03-20-15 10:50 AM
    I don't think that he meant BB10 as an OS itself relies on the runtime, but instead that without the ecosystem bump provided by the Android runtime there'd be less interest in BB10.
    Correction: There'd be almost no interest in BB10. Still think they should have tried to build their own native ecosystem though.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-20-15 10:58 AM
    Two issues at Play.. first... why do people continue to look at BB as a hardware company. They are not. Chen has made it really clear software and services are BB future. With such a conservative approach to the supply chain... not enough units are being produced to maintain high volume sales. Small production runs equals less sales as seen with the Passport. Limited stock looks great in PR but most times means lost sales as only diehard users are willing to wait. If more revenue stream is created on the software and service side.. expect even less sales of devices. As Chen has said...he needs 10 million devices per year for hardware to be profitable. To measure BB success on device volume sales is moot at this point... so this constant noise about sales figures is meaningless in the long run.

As for putting out a BB10 Rom... Main issue with that is BB would be giving up the one thing that differentiates them from the rest.... Security. The reason you cannot root BB devices is the the Loader is encrypted and marries to the eprom in the phone. Hence you would have to hack the hardware and decrypt the loader for each phone. Unlike Android and Apple whose roots are universal to all device types. But removing the encrypted loader... BB would in essence give away the keys to the kingdom. Full access to the OS which is what makes Android a Malware developers delight.

What I do not get is what BB would actually get from doing this... Licensing the OS you make money... "giving" roms away accomplished what. Market Share with no profit... sure path to disaster.....
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-20-15 11:35 AM
    Correction: There'd be almost no interest in BB10. Still think they should have tried to build their own native ecosystem though.
    In fairness they tried and failed. They don't have the $$$ to wait it out like Microsoft.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-20-15 12:05 PM
    I don't think that he meant BB10 as an OS itself relies on the runtime,.
    Well that's how he worded it so it required a clarification.
    03-20-15 12:06 PM
    In fairness they tried and failed. They don't have the $$$ to wait it out like Microsoft.
    I meant with zero Android app compatibility. But yeah, it was a bigger task than anybody had fathomed.
    03-20-15 12:10 PM
110 123 ...