I remember how frustrated I was of not being able to navigate the first time I purchased the Passport. Sure, I tried the native maps application, Google Navigation, and Waze. The result was always the same - an experience that was lagging so much that using navigation was pointless. What was my solution? Well what do you think? I returned the "defective" Passport for another Passport. Problem solved, right? Surprise! The GPS experience is exactly the same - absolutely terrible. So, either the Passport is a shoddy device or there's something funky going on with the Passport while specifically on the AT&T network. Therefore, I decided to test the GPS while turning my mobile network off... and guess what? It worked flawlessly.

What I simply can't understand is how did this get by QA? Besides something as simple as placing a phone call, a functioning GPS should be somewhere at the top of the list of things to check before you release a phone on a carrier's network. It's a frustrating experience to have a GPS that is a total crapshoot... sometimes it works, but usually it doesn't. I know there are various leaks and tricks that I'll have to do to get this working, but the simple point is - I shouldn't have to do these things. I imagine there will be a fair number of users who decide to give the Passport a try... only to return the device with a lasting bad impression because something as simple as the GPS did not work.

The last 4 devices I've purchased were the Q10, Z10, Z30, and now the Passport. Each of those devices I purchased outright. As someone who supports Blackberry and wants to see them do well... I have every right to feel a bit pissed off that I have to jump through hoops to get my GPS working on a $600+ phone. I don't understand why Blackberry or AT&T isn't putting something out addressing this issue. This problem cannot possibly help Blackberry's image. So... I'll have fun driving with my mobile network turned off... or maybe I'll do what works... which is turn on my mobile hotspot... then use my Z30 to navigate. Awesome... thanks Blackberry and AT&T!
    juststart likes this.
    03-13-15 02:27 PM
    I'm sure someone will suggest a hard reboot and security wipe so I might as well be the first
    03-13-15 02:42 PM
    It has to be an AT&T issue because I bought my Z30 and Passport outright and my Z10 through Rogers and none of them have GPS issues.
    03-13-15 02:56 PM
    I'm sure someone will suggest a hard reboot and security wipe so I might as well be the first
    Really? So... two Passports... the same problem... and they both need a hard reset and security wipe?
    Thalestr and BerryRipe like this.
    03-13-15 03:18 PM
    My GPS works perfect on my passport . Had at trip from toronto to mount saint Anne quebec and no issues. Also no issues with waze. I have Telus in canada.

Posted via CB10
    stevepar likes this.
    03-13-15 03:23 PM
    Everything fine for me,....sorry abt ur problems.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 03:31 PM
    I have been running my passport on AT&T since November with none of the behavior you described. I suggest you give it a couple of days for it to do its housekeeping.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 03:56 PM
    I've only used GPS on the AT&T Passport once and did not have any issues. Just pulled it up right now to test and it started the navigation with no problem.

Of course, that does not mean that there may still be an issue with the AT&T passport and the particular network you're connected to.

FYI, I'm in San Francisco Bay Area, California.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9088244) likes this.
    03-13-15 03:58 PM
    I've only used GPS on the AT&T Passport once and did not have any issues. Just pulled it up right now to test and it started the navigation with no problem.

Of course, that does not mean that there may still be an issue with the AT&T passport and the particular network you're connected to.

FYI, I'm in San Francisco Bay Area, California.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the info. I've noticed a few others on Crackberry... and even in the ATT forum have had issues. Seeing that it's working fine for you just baffles me even more. Thanks for the feedback.
    03-13-15 04:02 PM
    You are not by yourself I am on my second AT&T PP and same as you GPS was horrible on both devices.

Posted via CB10
    ce71 likes this.
    03-13-15 04:25 PM
    I have a unlocked AT&T passport and I am using it on T Mobile USA and my GPS has been working fine, I used the BlackBerry maps today to find some clients address and it worked perfectly.

I have had several passports since the official launch and haven't had a GPS issue with either one of them, but I am on T Mobile LTE network.

Sent from my lovely AT&T passport on T Mobile USA (10.3.1.2480)
    03-13-15 04:42 PM
    I had the exact issues you described. I'm on AT&T also. Then per suggestions here, I installed 2480. What a difference, GPS is working perfectly now. No lag in Maps, BeMaps, Waze, it's as fast as Waze on my Note Edge.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 05:40 PM
    I have a unlocked AT&T passport and I am using it on T Mobile USA and my GPS has been working fine, I used the BlackBerry maps today to find some clients address and it worked perfectly.

I have had several passports since the official launch and haven't had a GPS issue with either one of them, but I am on T Mobile LTE network.

Sent from my lovely AT&T passport on T Mobile USA (10.3.1.2480)
    Same goes for me, never experienced any trouble with GPS, signal, or data speed while using the AT&T Passport on T-Mobile's network.
    03-13-15 06:14 PM
    Really? So... two Passports... the same problem... and they both need a hard reset and security wipe?
    No. I apologize, I was being facetious. I hope you can find a solution.
    ce71 and anon(5818411) like this.
    03-13-15 06:20 PM
    Could be something in the data your transferring. I have had big problems bringing my data over from my Z30 to the Passport. It's an issue that has existed with just about every BlackBerry I have owned for the past ten years. A complete wipe and I transfer the contacts to phone SIM. It's a shame but when I did this with my Z10 and Z30 I had absolutely no problems. When I used Link to transfer all my data over to the Passport I experienced problems again. Very annoying issue but GPS works flawlessly.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 06:37 PM
    I remember how frustrated I was of not being able to navigate the first time I purchased the Passport. Sure, I tried the native maps application, Google Navigation, and Waze. The result was always the same - an experience that was lagging so much that using navigation was pointless. What was my solution? Well what do you think? I returned the "defective" Passport for another Passport. Problem solved, right? Surprise! The GPS experience is exactly the same - absolutely terrible. So, either the Passport is a shoddy device or there's something funky going on with the Passport while specifically on the AT&T network. Therefore, I decided to test the GPS while turning my mobile network off... and guess what? It worked flawlessly.

What I simply can't understand is how did this get by QA? Besides something as simple as placing a phone call, a functioning GPS should be somewhere at the top of the list of things to check before you release a phone on a carrier's network. It's a frustrating experience to have a GPS that is a total crapshoot... sometimes it works, but usually it doesn't. I know there are various leaks and tricks that I'll have to do to get this working, but the simple point is - I shouldn't have to do these things. I imagine there will be a fair number of users who decide to give the Passport a try... only to return the device with a lasting bad impression because something as simple as the GPS did not work.

The last 4 devices I've purchased were the Q10, Z10, Z30, and now the Passport. Each of those devices I purchased outright. As someone who supports Blackberry and wants to see them do well... I have every right to feel a bit pissed off that I have to jump through hoops to get my GPS working on a $600+ phone. I don't understand why Blackberry or AT&T isn't putting something out addressing this issue. This problem cannot possibly help Blackberry's image. So... I'll have fun driving with my mobile network turned off... or maybe I'll do what works... which is turn on my mobile hotspot... then use my Z30 to navigate. Awesome... thanks Blackberry and AT&T!
    This kinda silly to me, to rely on your phone for GPS. Just go buy a portable GPS unit, for what like $40 or $50. Just weird you are so mad about GPS on this phone...kinda like when people complain about cameras on cell phones. Just buy a DSLR if you want the best pics, lol.
    03-13-15 07:48 PM
    This kinda silly to me, to rely on your phone for GPS. Just go buy a portable GPS unit, for what like $40 or $50. Just weird you are so mad about GPS on this phone...kinda like when people complain about cameras on cell phones. Just buy a DSLR if you want the best pics, lol.
    I really hope you are joking with this statement.
    03-13-15 08:02 PM
    And just buy a laptop if you want data features. And an alarm clock if you want an alarm. And a diary if you want calendar features. Unreal. A GPS is crucial to any phone these days. I use mine constantly. Ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-13-15 08:09 PM
    I have the AT&T Passport (OS 10.3.1.1372) and recently went on a roadtrip using it to navigate. It was absolutely horrible, simply the worst GPS navigation experience I've ever had, so I feel your pain.

Hard reboot doesn't fix it (obviously) and the issue exists in Maps and BeMaps Pro, the GPS signal is just never, ever consistent. It will jump around up to 5 miles in BeMaps Pro, and in Maps there will simply be the red compass error that it can't find you.

Navigating goes a little something like this:

1) You find your destination in Maps and click the arrow to begin navigation.
    2) It finds your current location, then calculates a route, then shows you the map with the route between your location and where you want to go.
    3) You click "Start" on the action bar to begin navigation.
    4) After 30 seconds of loading animation, you receive 1001 error: unable to find location.
    5) You are sent back to the screen where you see the destination you want to go to.
    6) Repeat steps 1-6.

It will find you to plot a route but the moment you want that active turn-by-turn navigation, it decides it can't find you.
    juststart and ce71 like this.
    03-13-15 08:26 PM
    I used Link to do that and I'm having lots of problems with contacts, GPS etc. Using the ATT network also. Really frustrating to say the least. Also my lady switched from IPhone to Passport too and it has been embarrassing.

Type and swiped with a Passport to the world of MOBILE EXCELLENCE!!!!
    03-13-15 08:47 PM
    there are a number of threads on this forum. gps (or at least "maps" )does not work on the att passports using att service . i hope the problem gets fixed
    03-13-15 08:52 PM
    I was super disappointed when I loaded up the default maps app as I left the store. I really like the device overall but if this doesn't get fixed I may ditch it altogether.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 08:58 PM
    I have two Passports. Both bought from Amazon. One running with an AT&T sim, and the other is on TMo. The GPS works fine, whether using Sygic, Waze, or BeMapsPro. I see no performance difference regardless of network.
    03-13-15 09:01 PM
    I had 1372 on AT&T, GPS was bad. I installed 2480 like many others here, it fixed it completely. My colleague just bought a Passport today, same thing with 1372. This time, I installed even a later leak, 2558, that fixed his also.
    ce71 and Techno-Emigre like this.
    03-13-15 09:15 PM
    Either of these threads will easily solve your problem.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1005664

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1006285

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by franchise22; 03-13-15 at 09:59 PM.
    ce71 likes this.
    03-13-15 09:39 PM
64 123