Thought I would start a thread regarding the Kindle app and it's ability to zap the Passports battery power in 7 hours when run on OS 10.3.1.1565 It seems version 4.9.0.158 of the app is incompatible with this OS as it ran fine with 10.3.0. Does anyone have this version running okay? I really liked using this app on the Passport and look forward to a new version of the app or new version of the OS that enables them to work together.

If anyone is running an updated leak of 10.3.1 and the Kindle app successfully please let me know as that would be encouraging news.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 05:16 PM
    I have that same version of the Android Kindle app and I am running OS 10.3.1.2267 and it works great. Just listened to Lone Survivor for 14 hours on a long drive.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 07:37 PM
    No issues at all with the Kindle app I use it daily.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 08:00 PM
    I did have problems with the Kindle app. I also have a suite of other Amazon apps install (Amazon, Amazon Local). The Kindle app screwed up everything.
    03-09-15 03:42 AM
    Same issue as OP. With Kindle installed battery lasted no longer than 5 hours. Uninstalled and averaging about 30 hours of moderate use.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 08:35 AM
    Lol at this let's get serious, there's no single app responsible it's the android player app as these glitches occur on a variety of android apps they all have one thing in common they use the android player, also with no screen shot takes these posts with a grain of salt

@ZEDTROSPEKTIV Via BlackBerry Passport, previous Z10, Bold 9790, Bold 9700, Curve 3G, Curve 8250 (1st BB)
    03-09-15 08:45 AM
    Lol at this let's get serious, there's no single app responsible it's the android player app as these glitches occur on a variety of android apps they all have one thing in common they use the android player, also with no screen shot takes these posts with a grain of salt

@ZEDTROSPEKTIV Via BlackBerry Passport, previous Z10, Bold 9790, Bold 9700, Curve 3G, Curve 8250 (1st BB)
    I bow to your superior knowledge! I was obviously lying as I did not attach a screenshot!

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 10:58 AM

Plenty of research was done on this. Many android apps obviously are not as efficient as native apps with regards to performance and battery efficiency, it doesn't take a genius to work that out. Screenshots are not required as proof, many people have reported the same problem with this particular app from experience.

The Kindle app is in the extreme though unlike the expected battery usage that is associated when using Android apps through the hypervisor; it can completely drain the battery in a few hours and cause the cpu to heat up to a point where it is difficult to hold the handset.

So let's get serious this is not the same as the battery drain that can be caused by "the android player app" which isn't actually an app but a runtime hypervisor. It is a very app specific bug which when uninstalled returns the battery to expected performance levels.

Anyhow, back to the point of the thread, there is a new version available in the Amazon Appstore (v 4.10.0.88) which I'm going to install and see if the bug has been resolved. Will report back in a couple of days.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 12:29 PM
    V4.10.0.88 of the Kindle app has been installed on my Passport running 10.3.1.1565 and soon after the handset started to heat up and the battery started to drain at an increased rate. The app has now been deleted which again has restored the battery performance and heat issues.

For anyone who needs screenshots of this problem see the forum topic 'poor battery life and running hot on blackberry passport'. Your "grains of salt" can be found there chief.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 03:11 AM
    I experienced the same issues with version 4.9, and even worse with 4.10, the app doesn't even open. But you can install version 4.2 from this link and it works flawlessly, just don't update kindle app anymore...

Amazon Kindle APK download - AndroidDrawer
    03-24-15 04:15 AM
    This does not appear to just be a 10.3.1 issue. With the last update to kindle on my stock 10.3.0 I had experienced heat and battery drain. Kindle removed and problem solved.
    03-24-15 06:44 AM
    I experienced the same issues with version 4.9, and even worse with 4.10, the app doesn't even open. But you can install version 4.2 from this link and it works flawlessly, just don't update kindle app anymore...

Thx. Will try it. 3 Amazon Apps: Amazon Store,Kindle and AppStore all run at the background even "Run when minimized" is disabled. I wish I could uninstall Amazon AppStore.
    03-24-15 06:47 AM
    This does not appear to just be a 10.3.1 issue. With the last update to kindle on my stock 10.3.0 I had experienced heat and battery drain. Kindle removed and problem solved.
    Yup... I had this problem before 10.3.1. Now it is stable. I have uninstalled Kindle.
    03-24-15 03:57 PM
    I have kindle installed. Set run in background to false, and run when minimised to false. No problems. If you are really worried, kill it with ghost commander when you aren't using it. My biggest battery drain is arcane legends, but that is self induced

Posted via CB10
    vara4111 likes this.
    03-24-15 07:12 PM
    I can confirm the issue with the Kindle app. I got my AT&T Passport on eBay and installed the Kindle app on day one. At first I thought I'd gotten a bum unit because my battery life was so terrible. Thanks to these forums, I uninstalled the Kindle app and wow... my battery life has been awesome. 30+ hours on a consistent basis.

Gonna try to re-install the app and turn off running in the background. Hopefully that fixes the issue.
    11-23-15 10:43 AM

I deleted Kindle app and got awesome battery life. Ok. I will try this version. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    11-23-15 11:03 AM
    I installed it from Amazon. Heats up my Passport badly. Uninstalled

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 04:37 AM
    OK, Forgive my ignorance, trying to understand here.. I use the Kindle app alot, downloaded it from Blackberry world on my Z10 and it has worked flawlessly -i move to a BBPP tomorrow and assume I would just transfer the app over via link?

Questions:
    Does the Kindle app from Blackberry world not work on BBPP?

Regards David

Digicel STL100-1 10.3.2.2474
    11-29-15 08:24 AM
    Some have reported that this Amazon issue occurs only when encryption is on. I tried it after decrypting and saw no high drain. I re-encrypted and problem returned. I deleted Kindle and cleared the Amazon store cache.

This whole problem first appeared for me a few days before the Priv release. About then Amazon pushed an update to their app store.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 05:22 PM
    How do you turn off running in the background? The switch in the app permissions screen is greyed out for the Kindle app

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 01:25 AM