Dear John Chen: it is time to produce a line of powerful full-touch BB10 devices at least as powerful as samsung flagship devices, in two or three screen sizes.

It doesn't matter how much they cost because we all know that the market for these devices is small and speculative, so we know the initial production run must be modest for the sales to be profitable, and that means that each device will cost more to manufacture than a device that will sell in the 10s of millions of units. You must price the product to make a profit and the BB10 customers waiting for the devices WILL hear about them from the announcement press release: no need for a huge event, just announce it and let us take it from there.

There is nothing to 'invent' here: the processors and the memory and the screen components and the camera modules exist and are field tested in other existing devices. The OS is polished and ready to deploy, and already performs well on existing full-touch devices. Use the award winning BlackBerry industrial design team to craft a shell for them, something these skilled craftspeople can do with one hand tied behind their back by this point.

The OS that runs on the z30 will do, and BB10 already has support for 1920x1080 screens right? So, let's go!

The market is ready for a powerful BB10 full touch device, and there is nothing to innovate, nothing to invent, nothing to beta test for year: just push the button and start the machine that pumps these out like Chicken McNuggets... just don't leave the machine running too long or you'll end up with an expensive pile of rotting McNuggets and no one wants that (well, "long" BlackBerry shareholders like me don't want it, but BBRY shorts might.)

In summary, I'm not expecting a sublime miracle of form and function: just a slab with a powerful brain, heart, lungs, legs, and eyes... absolutely not something to bet the company on. Don't cut corners, don't over produce, don't underprice, don't eff it up with half measures and this can be done in three months. Possibly.

Thanks for your time.
    Love
    Ryan

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 03-05-15 at 06:19 PM.
    03-05-15 05:11 PM
    And for this letter....I love YOU, Ryan!
    I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-05-15 06:03 PM
    They are releasing different types of devices so that they can gain profits. What will they gain if they release an all touch with snapdragon 801 like passport at a price of 40k? No one will buy it because these days many small companies are making devices with similar processor and much less cost. Like one plus one.
    Wait for the slider. If it is a big hit definitely they will be releasing another new phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 12:18 AM
    Business people are their market and they don't care about big specs as long as the phones are working. Why would they care?

Z30 has a bigger gpu thanks to Thorstein. He always would understand that need but everything else is the same and I think it was smart. U still had the paratek antenna and better battery. All business people just want that and they are happy.

You and I want bigger better faster phones. They dont so you and I need to take the back seat on that race.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-15-15 01:34 AM
    Fact is I don't want the device myself: I want the slider... but the components from the Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8 would make an EXCELLENT BB10 device: the point is that BlackBerry needn't wait for Qualcomm to thoroughly test a brand new chip: BlackBerry could release very powerful devices that will satisfy pent-up demand for a powerful all touch device, so it is really just a matter of assembly, not a 18 month 'prototype' testing process, and any manufacturer has the capability to produce this device and get it to market in a matter of weeks or a few months, not a year or more.

It will never satisfy those that demand bleeding edge technology, but I think that mobile device processors and screens have hit a point where they are as powerful as needed to support common-sense "peak" human factors requirements (perception of performance, screen pixel density). Processor speed and screen pixel density has hit a point of diminishing returns, so let's just get this out and into people's hands. The Z30 and the Z10 with Galaxy 5 level of processors and 400+ ppi screens (1920 x 1080) are common place if not inexpensive, so let's do this.
    gvs1341 likes this.
    03-15-15 10:17 AM
    Like that's gonna work
    03-15-15 10:21 AM
    I'm for it

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 06:22 PM
    Thanks for your time.
    Love
    Ryan
    You really don't want to leave BlackBerry, do you???
    03-22-15 07:09 PM
    You really don't want to leave BlackBerry, do you???
    Me? Nope: BlackBerry is the only company making the devices and OS I want to use... but pushing out a decently-speced BB10 slab device to just for the love of Pete get it done already is what I think BlackBerry needs to do: they can't afford the distraction of spending a year with prototyping and beta testing a wildly innovative set of technologies for a full slab all touch device that would cost a lot to develop, take a lot of time to test, and be launched like all costly-to-develop cutting edge devices must be (spending a year on the Z30 to release it well below the radar was just monumentally stupid)... but any huge development and marketing push for a bleeding-edge full slab device would inevitably hit the market with a resounding 'thud'.

All that development and launch of an ambitious full slab device running BB10 would do is inspire a flood of negative "nice but there are no apps" type of press and do nothing to get BlackBerry out of 'niche market' position... but using proven technologies to get a high powered ( by last year's standards) Z30 and Z10 followup to market needn't take more than a few months and not require a full corporate offensive. A device like this is low hanging ripe fruit ready for picking, and pick it they should. Not for me, no I want my slider: this is a business suggestion to BlackBerry to cater to that part of the BlackBerry 10 user base that is waiting to put their money down for successors to the z10 and z30. As the S5 was to the S3, these devices should be to the Zs. two generations ahead, not 3 or 4.

BlackBerry is leaving easy money in people's pockets (that would do better for BlackBerry in BB's bank account) by delaying this. The slider won't be a substitute acceptable to these customers, so waiting to launch a powerful full slab device won't show up on BBs balance sheet as significantly-increased slider sales, so what is BlackBerry Ltd. waiting for? If it is a written invitation, well, here it is :-) Put another way: any full slab advocate willing to buy the slider in the absence of a full slab update would probably buy both devices anyway so nothing to be gained by delaying.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 03-22-15 at 10:34 PM.
    pttptppt and Bonnie Bonzai like this.
    03-22-15 09:36 PM
    What happens if you never see the full touch slab you so dearly crave? Do you bolt?
    03-24-15 07:53 PM
    You will see aa John Chen themed sticker pack before you see this... just saying.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 08:07 PM
    I don't think it matters if they make a profit or not on the device. It could just break even...

They should make it low production at beginning and premium pricing. I know people are gonna criticise BlackBerry but it should at least be price near the iPhone.

Also the idea of a high end all touch device will be mostly for marketing an image. We all know that high end device will drive sales of lower end devices. Car manufacturer do that all the time.

So i'm in for high end all touch (and the specs doesn't have to be super groundbreaking 16 cores!)

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 08:07 PM
    What happens if you never see the full touch slab you so dearly crave? Do you bolt?
    Since your post immediately follows mine, I assume you're asking me, but maybe not but at any rate... uh... I know I write long posts, but... do you read them at all, any part of them, or just post based on the topic title? Pick any one of my posts above and read it. Mea Culpa, I repeat myself a lot, so most any one should do.

They should make it low production at beginning and premium pricing. I know people are gonna criticise BlackBerry but it should at least be price near the iPhone.

Also the idea of a high end all touch device will be mostly for marketing an image. We all know that high end device will drive sales of lower end devices. Car manufacturer do that all the time.
    The only objection I have to a high end device is the requisite testing period... as I said in a post above, what became the Z30 was in testing WAY longer than it should have been, and by the time it was released, it was a mid-tier device, and it was launched completely under the radar... but it is EXCELLENT, because of the industrial design, and the OS... not for the specs.

If BB can put out a top-of-the-line device without having to do the chipset developers job of field testing it, and release the phone in 6 months from initial prototype to finished product on the shelves, fine, but taking a year or more on a device is not something BB has the resources to do, so that's why I think they should (for now) stick to established hardware (and by established, I don't mean inexpensive, I just mean not trying untested combinations of parts or bleeding edge technologies: maybe build EXACTLY the Passport without a keyboard but with a 16 x 9 screen at 5" diagonal, slap a case on it. Beum. done.)
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 03-24-15 at 08:42 PM.
    03-24-15 08:21 PM
    I love my Z30 and my 2 year commitment will be up next February so as long as BlackBerry can do this by then, I'm as happy as can be but delay much more and people will start scanning about for something new without a keyboard. If it can't be exactly out by then, at least announce/ leak news about one and people will wait. I know people who waited 4 months for an IPhone when they thought it was available right away. Please do not leave us high-end all touch users high and dry. BlackBerry can't afford to cut off any more limbs so to speak.

I would be thrilled with a newer version of my Z30 with a faster processor, more RAM and larger internal memory to hold more apps and on board You Tube content which cannot be saved to an SD card. Toss in a better camera and I'm golden for another few years.

Then only other pain point I experience from time to time is the increased reliance of Google Play services on some of the same apps I've used before. If someone can build a "converter" to allow developers to easily build for the Amazon store at the same time as Google as well as a few die hards who can follow simple instructions like side-loading so we don't have to worry if Amazon has "green lit" our devices, we'd be all set.

I know this is not as easy as it sounds but in order to be successful in the business market, businesses must be confident that BlackBerry will still be around making new devices.

Thanks,
    BBZ30 user

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 08:24 PM
    I love my Z30 and my 2 year commitment will be up next February so as long as BlackBerry can do this by then, I'm as happy as can be but delay much more and people will start scanning about for something new without a keyboard. If it can't be exactly out by then, at least announce/ leak news about one and people will wait. I know people who waited 4 months for an IPhone when they thought it was available right away. Please do not leave us high-end all touch users high and dry. BlackBerry can't afford to cut off any more limbs so to speak.

I would be thrilled with a newer version of my Z30 with a faster processor, more RAM and larger internal memory to hold more apps and on board You Tube content which cannot be saved to an SD card. Toss in a better camera and I'm golden for another few years.

Then only other pain point I experience from time to time is the increased reliance of Google Play services on some of the same apps I've used before. If someone can build a "converter" to allow developers to easily build for the Amazon store at the same time as Google as well as a few die hards who can follow simple instructions like side-loading so we don't have to worry if Amazon has "green lit" our devices, we'd be all set.

I know this is not as easy as it sounds but in order to be successful in the business market, businesses must be confident that BlackBerry will still be around making new devices.

Thanks,
    BBZ30 user
    So you would switch to Android or iOS if you can't get a new BB10 device that has sufficiently high-end specs, deadline: February 2016?

I dunno, but I expect Android and iOS to be pretty much the same in February 2016 as they are now. If you could possibly be satisfied with an Android or iOS device instead of a BB10 device, what are you waiting for! SWITCH! NOW! Galaxy S6 Edge or Note 4! Google Nexus 6! Motorola X! HTC One M9! Whatever Sony thing is big and powerful! LG G4! iPhone 6 or 6 Plus! There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO DELAY YOUR DEPARTURE FROM BB10 FOR ONE SECOND!

Unless... you really can't stand the thought of one of those other devices as your daily driver and "give me what I want or I'll switch" is an empty threat.

You see, if I were BlackBerry, I wouldn't worry too much about losing my current customer base because of the HARDWARE: it was BBOS7 that couldn't compete with Android or iOS on the bare essentials of what passes for a smart phone today... BB10 can go toe to toe with those platforms on pretty much everything but apps... so, if you're satisfied with BB10 in the face of Android and iOS, and the excellent devices that run those platforms, if I were BlackBerry, I'd figure "you aren't going anywhere." Sure you can leave just to show them you're not going to be manipulated, people do it all the time.

...but what this is about is BlackBerry just letting people who want to PAY THEM MONEY FOR UPGRADED DEVICES not doing it. They're literally not "just shutting up and taking the money". I think they do believe that when they finally get around to updating their full-touch line, people who have been waiting will buy them... as many as would have bought them if they released them tomorrow... but I say they could squeeze a few generations of upgrade cycles in there and get revenue for each generation a-la Apple. No, not 100% of BB10 users would upgrade, but maybe 30% would, and the following year, they may get another 30% and so on... and they may get all those 60% if they wait two years, but they COULD get 30% NOW, so why wait is all I'm saying.

(the numbers are all made up and just speculative to clarify my point).
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 03-24-15 at 09:23 PM.
    phill57 likes this.
    03-24-15 09:10 PM
    I purchased my Z10 April of 2013 for $900 (I live in Bermuda) . I purchased my Z30 in October of 2013 for $950. I have never regretted either purchase. My Z30 had an untimely death about a month ago... it was run over by a truck. I have reverted back to my trusty Z10. I thought for sure that BlackBerry would have released a new premier all touch Z30 replacement by now... it's been what? 18 months?! Come on BlackBerry... get the finger out and produce this phone. Take my damn money already!!!!

Posted via CB10... Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2141
    03-28-15 10:58 AM
    So you would switch to Android or iOS if you can't get a new BB10 device that has sufficiently high-end specs, deadline: February 2016?

I dunno, but I expect Android and iOS to be pretty much the same in February 2016 as they are now. If you could possibly be satisfied with an Android or iOS device instead of a BB10 device, what are you waiting for! SWITCH! NOW! Galaxy S6 Edge or Note 4! Google Nexus 6! Motorola X! HTC One M9! Whatever Sony thing is big and powerful! LG G4! iPhone 6 or 6 Plus! There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO DELAY YOUR DEPARTURE FROM BB10 FOR ONE SECOND!

Unless... you really can't stand the thought of one of those other devices as your daily driver and "give me what I want or I'll switch" is an empty threat.
    I don't appreciate your POV. I like the fact that my trusty Z30 kicks **** compared to other devices and have no intention of leaving but if BlackBerry no longer leads the pack in productivity, battery life, and functionality (NFC, SD card, Blend, etc) what are we to do? We'll have nothing left to counter the "app gap"

I'm just being realistic. Go back and read my posts if you like , I am not Mr. Negativity around here.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 08:01 PM
    Not bad,

but is there an actual address you can 'mail' this letter to ?

Doesn't hurt.... wonder where john chen actually lives lol...
    03-29-15 02:43 PM
    I don't appreciate your POV. I like the fact that my trusty Z30 kicks **** compared to other devices and have no intention of leaving but if BlackBerry no longer leads the pack in productivity, battery life, and functionality (NFC, SD card, Blend, etc) what are we to do? We'll have nothing left to counter the "app gap"

I'm just being realistic. Go back and read my posts if you like , I am not Mr. Negativity around here.
    I may have misinterpreted this bit:

If you weren't including yourself in the italicized "people" then, I say even if those people don't include you, those "people" who are BB10 users are not going to "start scanning about for something new without a keyboard" i.e. switch to Apple or Android for an inferior experience (in their own opinion) just because they want a more powerful modern device.

This isn't about customer retention: this is about money that BB is not collecting by delaying the release of the full touch experience.

Suppose they don't release a new powerful full touch device for 5 years? Suppose every single BB10 user waiting for that full touch experience DOESN'T switch to Android or Apple... they keep using their BB10 devices... well, that's 5 YEARS that BlackBerry Ltd. could have been selling an upgraded full slab device rather than getting no revenue from those already using and preferring a BB10 full slab device. If the rumoured specs for the slider are accurate, the slider will be much like a top-tier HTC One M9... so releasing a full slab non-slider version shortly thereafter would make sense and get those full-slab no PKB holdouts on board buying a new device.
    03-31-15 01:13 AM
    I was also thinking the same last days...y dont BlackBerry make a phone with same spec but in 2 sizes...one in z10 size and one in z30 size, just like others r making...One and One mini...S5 and Mini....this way they can use the same design and materials and can satisfy 2 types of people same time with less inventory cost. Every year, one such phone, one PKB based phone and a special harry porter like phone. Each for each quarter. Is that too much what I ask for?

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 01:43 AM
    Me? Nope: BlackBerry is the only company making the devices and OS I want to use... but pushing out a decently-speced BB10 slab device to just for the love of Pete get it done already is what I think BlackBerry needs to do: they can't afford the distraction of spending a year with prototyping and beta testing a wildly innovative set of technologies for a full slab all touch device that would cost a lot to develop, take a lot of time to test, and be launched like all costly-to-develop cutting edge devices must be (spending a year on the Z30 to release it well below the radar was just monumentally stupid)... but any huge development and marketing push for a bleeding-edge full slab device would inevitably hit the market with a resounding 'thud'.

All that development and launch of an ambitious full slab device running BB10 would do is inspire a flood of negative "nice but there are no apps" type of press and do nothing to get BlackBerry out of 'niche market' position... but using proven technologies to get a high powered ( by last year's standards) Z30 and Z10 followup to market needn't take more than a few months and not require a full corporate offensive. A device like this is low hanging ripe fruit ready for picking, and pick it they should. Not for me, no I want my slider: this is a business suggestion to BlackBerry to cater to that part of the BlackBerry 10 user base that is waiting to put their money down for successors to the z10 and z30. As the S5 was to the S3, these devices should be to the Zs. two generations ahead, not 3 or 4.

BlackBerry is leaving easy money in people's pockets (that would do better for BlackBerry in BB's bank account) by delaying this. The slider won't be a substitute acceptable to these customers, so waiting to launch a powerful full slab device won't show up on BBs balance sheet as significantly-increased slider sales, so what is BlackBerry Ltd. waiting for? If it is a written invitation, well, here it is :-) Put another way: any full slab advocate willing to buy the slider in the absence of a full slab update would probably buy both devices anyway so nothing to be gained by delaying.
    I agree, the slider is for a niche of customers and I expect a big price. So I think they could sell 1 or 2 of them...
    If they want to leave customer private base they just to say that. I see they are more focused on niche of some professionals.

MicheleZ10_oraZ30
    03-31-15 01:55 AM
    Many people loves BlackBerry so they giving their ideas and valuable time here. They really want BlackBerry to have more customers and profit too. BlackBerry loyal customer never run away. But its good to make new customer and money too..its business

ATrueBbLover'sZedd10
    03-31-15 02:19 AM
    I tried android for 6 months after frying my bold 9700 and waiting for Z10. It was hell! Loved my Z10, currently fondling my Z30 all day everyday.
    I am not going to try another android ever and I boycott Apple on principal, but it sure would be nice to have a new all touch powerhouse 2ghz+ quad core paired with a mali450 octo core gpu for ****s and giggles .
    Build a side loading app into BlackBerry Link or BlackBerry blend, add miracast or whatever the latest standard so I can stream video from my device right to my tv. Give me a screen one inch bigger than my z30, 64GB storage, 3GB system memory and 4800mah battery with a 2amp charging circuit. Let me crank the audio so high that I don't need to plug in some crappy little portable speaker so I can hear this over the noise of my shower.
    And last but not least, I want some god damned wireless AC and a gigabit ethernet dingle doo up in this *****!

P.s.
    Any more than 5 grams heavier than the Z30 might be a deal breaker...maybe lol

Posted with the phenomenal Z30, best full touch phone on the market. And it doesn't even bend!
    04-03-15 09:16 AM
    correct me if I am wrong:
    (1) multiple screen size might be a problem: depend upon how the app, or software were structured: if it is based on the pixel counts to display, unless you have low res large screen, you really can't adjust your screen size and keep it same dpi. if you use some smarts to adjust what ever the screen size you wish, there would be a delay and additional process power - nothing for free. Unless it is by design take care of multiple screen size in mind start from both hardware and software point of view, just do it based on existing format, most likely not very feasible. (that is what platform come into play).
    (2) don't get me wrong, I would love to see a new platform of handset come out soon. That utilize the low power faster processor and loaded memory (more important on the memory side). A large storage kills majority of the evil (don't tell app writer... otherwise, all the overhead heavy stuff come out).
    (3) Z10 Z30 are nice format, but need some spark to differentiate from the others. something stand out, like all the bb users - a different in DNA, something unique - like the short cuts, simple, effective, productivity enhanced. However, you still need some basic dual function to keep the kids happy: play games and movie at breakfast table to keep them quiet at vacation resort...
    (4) new handsets do need testing (telecom requirements), however, if done it properly, stick to the similarity can shorten the test - it will take a lot on the design side to make sure the core stuff not changed... not follow what ever the trend or wind blow northe or south.... Never know, they might already have something cooking. Hopefully, something wonderful, I mean, something bring the smiles on my face. (use to smile when I listen to 9860 full symphonic music that blow the 1st gen iphone out of the water... amazing audio... something intuitive and simple).
    04-03-15 04:39 PM
    Fact is I don't want the device myself: I want the slider... but the components from the Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8 would make an EXCELLENT BB10 device: the point is that BlackBerry needn't wait for Qualcomm to thoroughly test a brand new chip: BlackBerry could release very powerful devices that will satisfy pent-up demand for a powerful all touch device, so it is really just a matter of assembly, not a 18 month 'prototype' testing process, and any manufacturer has the capability to produce this device and get it to market in a matter of weeks or a few months, not a year or more.

It will never satisfy those that demand bleeding edge technology, but I think that mobile device processors and screens have hit a point where they are as powerful as needed to support common-sense "peak" human factors requirements (perception of performance, screen pixel density). Processor speed and screen pixel density has hit a point of diminishing returns, so let's just get this out and into people's hands. The Z30 and the Z10 with Galaxy 5 level of processors and 400+ ppi screens (1920 x 1080) are common place if not inexpensive, so let's do this.
    I agree with you. It's not like they don't release profit minded devices to cater to a niche. Look at the Porche Design series? So even if they don't think the mass market would be wowed at them, there are many I'm sure who want exactly that - BlackBerry devices every year (as per the current standard mobile industry release cadence) that at least match the current flagship Android devices of that year in terms of specs and form factor. That way people who want a phone in a specific form factor for whatever reason don't have to settle for something else (like a passport if they really didn't care for the physical keyboard and they wanted an upgrade from a Z10 or Z30) , just because they would like to stick with the BlackBerry brand and OS they prefer. Why should they have to wait over 2 years to get a straight upgrade with the same full touch form factor they got used to and are comfortable with? There are some serious gaps in BlackBerry's product portfolio and it's so obvious and frustrating to some people but it seems deliberate. Why don't they at least say something to their fans? I mean they don't have that many fans left as a percentage of the whole potential fan base. A full touch with modern specs and10.3.1 might even attract a few defectors from other platforms. Why not release something that they are confident and proud enough to hand to reviewers to benchmark? There are the techie sites and types that put a lot of weight on benchmarks. If they build something with the best or second best battery life, browser performance, e.t.c., that would appeal to many who are into that. Look at the PC video card and processor market. Compete on performance or die! That's how it is. I'm straying but the point is basically by not having anything on the table they are making the non loyals default to Android, iOS and Windows Phone because at the end of the day, tech and even non tech people upgrade their phones often and need to have BlackBerry as an option and a competitive BlackBerry with a popular, common and standard form factor as an option. They should never lose focus because of some mistakes of the past. Correct the mistakes but not also the things that they did right. Z10 design was great! Why do away with that style completely instead of improving and building upon it? BlackBerry under TH was right to release all touch BlackBerry and build an OS which was based on touch. This signaled the new BlackBerry. They shouldn't forget about that and turn off more of their fans and make it difficult for the average smartphone user to try them out as an alternative.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CyberMan2013; 04-04-15 at 01:46 PM.
    04-04-15 07:41 AM
28 12