How the blinkity blank do I get BBM video chat to work. When I Google it it says you should see a little camera or movie icon somewhere in the contact box. I don't see it anywhere just the BBM chat icon

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 01:06 PM
    In the conversation, the icon should be top right in the display name box of the contact.
    03-05-15 01:19 PM
    Gonna put my 2 cents in here, not sure but I think you have to have a contact highlighted first, and that contact has to be able to have the video. My wife couldn't using her Torch and then a couple of weeks ago bought a Classic and therefore is capable. Correction she was quite capable before getting Classic, had to say that or I might get in Sh-t. We have never used it though and if you get it running remember that if you are on WiFi it's cheaper

Rick, Z30
    FF22 likes this.
    03-05-15 01:30 PM
    Hampsterwheel, just curious, is there an interesting story behind your name?

Rick, Z30
    03-05-15 01:36 PM
    Two things:

1. What phone do you have?

2. What phone does the person you are trying to BBM Video Chat with have?

To the best of my knowledge, short of a BBM Meetings subscription, BBM Video Chat only works on BB10 devices to BB10 devices. So if you or the other party has an Android, iPhone or Windows Phone, BBM Video Chat will not work.

Also, I believe you have to have "Allow BBM Calls through mobile network" turned on in BBM settings.
    03-05-15 01:45 PM
    Gonna put my 2 cents in here, not sure but I think you have to have a contact highlighted first, and that contact has to be able to have the video. My wife couldn't using her Torch and then a couple of weeks ago bought a Classic and therefore is capable. Correction she was quite capable before getting Classic, had to say that or I might get in Sh-t. We have never used it though and if you get it running remember that if you are on WiFi it's cheaper

Rick, Z30
    Love BBM video. Both my wife and I (2 Z30s) use it all the time to talk to my parents (2 Z10s) and her mother (Z10)

When my wife and I were in the Dominican Republic Last week, we pretty much it used it daily to talk to our kids at the grandparents.

Also...going back to the camera icon, if your contact doesn't have that icon, it means that their device (older blackberry 7, iOS, Android, Windows Phone) isn't capable.

Those closest thing for them is BBM voice. It's just a matter of time until BBM Video for iOS, Android and Windows Phone will finally be on their devices as well. Unfortunately all older BlackBerry 7 device can't because they aren't equipped with front facing cameras.

 BlackBerry Z30 smartphone on Telus Network
    Last edited by qphone; 03-05-15 at 02:25 PM.
    03-05-15 01:46 PM
    Love BBM video both my wife (2 Z30s) and I use it all the time to talk my parents (2 Z10s) and her mother (Z10)

When my wife and I were in the Dominican Republic Last week. We pretty much it used it daily to talk to our kids at the grandparents.

Also...going back to the camera icon, if your contact doesn't have that icon, it means that their device (older blackberry 7, iOS, Android, Windows Phone) isn't capable.

Those closest thing for them is BBM voice. It's just a matter of time until BBM for iOS, Android and Windows Phone will finally be on their devices as well. Unfortunately all older BlackBerry 7 device can't because they aren't equipped with front facing cameras.

When using it down south did it play hell with your data plan or was it reasonable?

Rick, Z30
    03-05-15 01:57 PM
    When using it down south did it play hell with your data plan or was it reasonable?

Rick, Z30

Before we left, I purchased my carrier's (Telus) Caribbean Combo Pass 100 each for my wife and myself.

The Telus Caribbean Combo Pass $100:

300 minutes (Dr to Dr / Dr to Canada / Dr to US)
    300 MB data
    Unlimited worldwide outgoing texting
    Free Incoming text

The fastest on Claro's in the Dominican Republic is H+ (HSPA+) No LTE. The slowest it ever hit (not uncommon) was e (EDGE) coverage. E can't and isn't strong enough to initiate a BBM video call let alone hold a stable connection. LOL

When back to the hotel...it logged back into to wifi. There are some parts in major shopping centers that will give you access to Claro's free wifi (RED_WIFI_CLARO) as well which was surprisingly nice.

After two weeks I ended up near 297MB data and tons of talk time minutes left. My wife was about 265. Again like anything else...monitor your usage and you'll do fine. Log on to wifi...then go nuts!

03-05-15 02:13 PM
    I'm showing my ignorance here but can you send a picture using BBM with the data turned off

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 02:14 PM
    I don't think so because the picture would be data

Rick, Z30
    03-05-15 02:26 PM
    BBM is data. When I trun off data, the BlackBerry bullets disappear

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 02:36 PM
    I'm showing my ignorance here but can you send a picture using BBM with the data turned off

Posted via CB10
    Yes you can but only connected to wifi. You leave wifi area and go back to the carrier's network...then No.

My parents only use their phones (Z10s) as phones and sometime the camera. They don't even text or use the browser. I know..i know...it's kinda of a waste, but I gave them my previous devices (Z10s) since their old school Motorola RAZR 2s finally died. Well actually it was the batteries after 5 long years of service and it wasn't worth it looking and buying batteries for an obsolete device. So I gave them my Z10s

They never had to this day DATA on their carrier's plan. At home though they have wifi so that's how I'm able to BBM video call them.

03-05-15 02:37 PM
    So.. just to confirm, if my Mum has an iphone and I have a Z30, I can't talk to her using BBM Video?
    03-09-15 10:22 PM
    So.. just to confirm, if my Mum has an iphone and I have a Z30, I can't talk to her using BBM Video?
    No.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 10:32 PM
    You are correct. You can however use BBM voice with iOS, Android and Windows Phone. Great for free long distance calls anywhere in the world. My wife and I use it with non BlackBerry 10 friends (iOS, Android, Windows Phone) and relatives over seas with BBM. The rest that have BB10 Devices...then it's BBM video all the way.

It's just a matter of time for BBM video to be cross platform as well just like BBM voice.

03-10-15 12:20 AM
    You are correct. You can however use BBM voice with iOS, Android and Windows Phone. Great for free long distance calls anywhere in the world. My wife and I use it with non BlackBerry 10 friends (iOS, Android, Windows Phone) and relatives over seas with BBM. The rest that have BB10 Devices...then it's BBM video all the way.

It's just a matter of time for BBM video to be cross platform as well just like BBM voice.

The weird part is that my Mum's iphone has the video button, but it says I don't have video option when she goes to tap it. Yet, on my end, I have no video button whatsoever.
    03-10-15 09:45 AM
    It won't show the video "button" until you highlight a contact that has the video provision on his/ her phone

Rick, Z30, Telus
    03-10-15 06:34 PM