This entire post assumes that in order for BlackBerry to offer a pure Android device, fully compliant with OHA, capable of running Google Play and Services, they would have to phase out the forked Android runtime in future versions of BB10.

I guess my question is:

Would losing the Android runtime capability on pure BB10 devices be worth a BlackBerry Android device?

I suppose you can argue that most people that would heavily rely on the entire gamut of Android apps probably have less stringent requirements for security and control. If BlackBerry can offer all the productivity and communication features of BB10 on Android (i.e. bbm, hub, calendar, share framework, even the UI swiping, etc.), then I would assume this group of users would be fully satisfied by a BlackBerry device running a BlackBerry-skinned Android.

Conversely, extremely security-conscious users are already less likely to rely heavily on Android apps. In other words, I doubt these users (either because they don't want to, or aren't allowed) are hitting up Cobalt's Google Services patching landing page on CrackBerry to get their Google fix. So you can argue that perhaps those users may not suffer too severely from the loss of the Android runtime on the more-controlled BB10.

Personally, I have used Gmail since I got an invitation from my dad way back when (no numbers on my email address). Google could have me by the b*lls in a split second if they wanted. I choose BB10 over Android mostly because (1) I like BlackBerry's hardware designs and (2) I overwhelmingly prefer the BB10 UI, hub, share framework, etc.

If I could buy an Android device produced by BlackBerry to superficially look and behave like BB10 (for the features I just mentioned), I suppose I would.

What about you guys?
    03-05-15 10:21 AM
    I say swap them. Go full Android and have a BlackBerry 10 runtime / or app solution to keep in compliance.
    03-05-15 10:31 AM
    But what would the hardware be.... could I get a S6 type device for the same price? Or would I get a "reimagined" Z30?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-05-15 10:32 AM
    If I could buy an Android device produced by BlackBerry to superficially look and behave like BB10 (for the features I just mentioned), I suppose I would.
    A custom UI to make it look like BB10 maybe, not sure people would jump into that. Stock android would probably be better if you're going full android - also may earn some points with Google. lol

It's a little more complicated though. I don't own an Android device because I don't like Android. The only real alternative I see to BB10 today is Windows Phone (and then again, I'd have the same apps problem I have now). But if they wanna get the regular joe back using Android as a hook, it just might work...

And the bringing the BB10 experience to Android really seems to be a BES12 thing, so I don't think they'd forfit that cash cow to sell Android devices.

I say swap them. Go full Android and have a BlackBerry 10 runtime / or app solution to keep in compliance.
    Dual boot or die!

Honestly though. If hey want to focus the general consumer low/mid range with ultra cheap Google Services-enabled Android devices, why not? It's not like those people bother with security/productivity. They just wanna instagram, facebook, netflix and game hard.

Keep making BB10 devices for the likes of me and others like me (the ones that actually want to communicate/GTD/be productive AND instagram, facebook, netflix and game hard. rofl

But what would the hardware be.... could I get a S6 type device for the same price? Or would I get a "reimagined" Z30?
    Well, I guessed your question lol.
    03-05-15 10:34 AM
    Still fail understand what BB would gain by switching... gain market share? why? sure they could do a slider or fixed keyboard and gain "some" new consumer sales... but overall seeing how damaged the BB brand is with consumers... attidue is everything and I do not see what what would change the perception.. Only consumer left is budget consumer... with such small margins .. would be a disaster waiting to happen.....if anything it may be a tough sell to Enterprise as Android had been branded and pushed as insecure over and over... with the current proprietary OS BB is a know commodity... They would have to recertify all their devices OS for all government and Corporate clients....Having start from scratch in Enterprise would be the death Knell for the hardware business... for all the sales you may pick up in the consumer market you would likely lose many fold more in Enterprise sales... leaving BB as a software company only...
    rthonpm likes this.
    03-05-15 10:44 AM
    I think if Blackberry would go Android that it will fully abandon BB10. It makes no sense to be in limbo and carry the burden of developing two OSes similar to how Android Silver failed because OEMs did not want to maintain a stock ROM in addition to a skinned one. A big reason to go Android is to save on R&D costs; not increase them.

There are very few BB10 apps anyway so a runtime doesn't make as much sense to preserve apps. In terms of security and privacy, there are other more efficient ways to go about it instead of using a second operating system such as a partitioning feature for Android akin to Blackberry Balance. This both reduces ROM size and preserves processing power.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 03-05-15 at 10:57 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-05-15 10:45 AM
    First of all, BlackBerry 10 should not have android runtime in it. Why? Because it will eventually consume more resources from the existing phone hardware in order to run the runtime. Look at the android apps in BlackBerry... it may help in closing the app gap but I don't think this is a good idea.

I would prefer a total BlackBerry 10 experience.. even though it is lack of apps,but still I will stand by BlackBerry 10 since that this is what it differs from Android and IOS!

If BlackBerry is coming up with a pure android phone. I would choose to have a nexus or motorola then.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 10:46 AM
    Why on earth would I want Android on a BlackBerry device?

I use BlackBerry Because I dont like Android, don't like the eco system, don't like the apps, don't like to develop for it..

OK to give Android, iOS and Windows users some of the BlackBerry experience, but please don't mess up my BlackBerry.
    03-05-15 10:48 AM
    Will it have Google play service IF BlackBerry running android OS?
    Me personally don't use many apps I have tapatalk only as android app
    Prefer the BlackBerry 10 UI but I open to change and see what BlackBerry offer

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    03-05-15 10:54 AM
    Will it have Google play service IF BlackBerry running android OS?
    Me personally don't use many apps I have tapatalk only as android app
    Prefer the BlackBerry 10 UI but I open to change and see what BlackBerry offer

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    Yes if Android is the sole OS on the device and BB10 had no runtime the BB Android device would be eligible for the Playstore. BB could run all their enterprise Android apps in a container partition like Knox and Android for Work is doing. The Android interface is very configurable so one could make the look and feel very much like BB10.

Samsung wouldn't be happy because they are aiming to be the enterprise choice for Android devices so that relationship would be strained.
    Uzi, AnimalPak200 and JeepBB like this.
    03-05-15 11:30 AM
    First of all, BlackBerry 10 should not have android runtime in it. Why? Because it will eventually consume more resources from the existing phone hardware in order to run the runtime. Look at the android apps in BlackBerry... it may help in closing the app gap but I don't think this is a good idea.

I would prefer a total BlackBerry 10 experience.. even though it is lack of apps,but still I will stand by BlackBerry 10 since that this is what it differs from Android and IOS!

If BlackBerry is coming up with a pure android phone. I would choose to have a nexus or motorola then.

Posted via CB10
    Because unless BB10 stops forking Android, then BlackBerry can't sell real Android devices with all of Google Play and its apps under OHA.

Or at least that's what I gather.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:31 AM
    Still fail understand what BB would gain by switching... gain market share? why? sure they could do a slider or fixed keyboard and gain "some" new consumer sales... but overall seeing how damaged the BB brand is with consumers... attidue is everything and I do not see what what would change the perception.. Only consumer left is budget consumer... with such small margins .. would be a disaster waiting to happen.....if anything it may be a tough sell to Enterprise as Android had been branded and pushed as insecure over and over... with the current proprietary OS BB is a know commodity... They would have to recertify all their devices OS for all government and Corporate clients....Having start from scratch in Enterprise would be the death Knell for the hardware business... for all the sales you may pick up in the consumer market you would likely lose many fold more in Enterprise sales... leaving BB as a software company only...
    As I said, very clearly in the OP. BlackBerry would make an Android device fully compliant with OHA and having all Google Play apps, but would separately continue to make BB10 devices *without Android Runtime*.

So... businesses and secure applications would continue to use BB10. Us little kids here that need the latest apps would use a BlackBerry-optimized (UI, productivity, hub, etc). Android device.

People don't like Android because its UI has been inferior in terms of consistency and organization. If BlackBerry can fix that then it's still a BlackBerry device in my mind.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:34 AM
    Yes if Android is the sole OS on the device and BB10 had no runtime the BB Android device would be eligible for the Playstore. BB could run all their enterprise Android apps in a container partition like Knox and Android for Work is doing. The Android interface is very configurable so one could make the look and feel very much like BB10.

Samsung wouldn't be happy because they are aiming to be the enterprise choice for Android devices so that relationship would be strained.
    Thank you. This is what I was trying to get at.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:36 AM
    Why on earth would I want Android on a BlackBerry device?

I use BlackBerry Because I dont like Android, don't like the eco system, don't like the apps, don't like to develop for it..

OK to give Android, iOS and Windows users some of the BlackBerry experience, but please don't mess up my BlackBerry.
    You're a perfect example of the second type of user I talked about. For people like you, BlackBerry would continue to make BB10 devices, but *without the Android Runtime* (which you don't use anyway). In exchange they would be able to offer BlackBerry-optimized full Android devices (including some with physical keyboards-- which current non-BlackBerry Android users that miss their kb but have too many play store apps would snatch up).

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:38 AM
    nope not for me ................if I wanted loads of apps I would just get a droid or iphone I don't so im more then happy the way blackberry phones are as it is I bet more then 90% of apps that ppl download and pay for don't get used
    03-05-15 12:34 PM
    When someone can make a proposal that shows why the market would want an overpriced Android phone with specs from 2012 I would like to see it.
    Kurdis Blough likes this.
    03-05-15 12:34 PM
    OK.... there are enough of us "negative" guys out here. I assume Kevin gave you the Title of #1 Fan also, and as such you aren't suppose to want anything to do with Android.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-05-15 01:19 PM
    We would then lose any hope of qnet.
    I know the possibility of BlackBerry even implementing this becoming smaller all the time. However, I still hold out some hope that it may happen.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 02:09 PM
    nope not for me ................if I wanted loads of apps I would just get a droid or iphone I don't so im more then happy the way blackberry phones are as it is I bet more then 90% of apps that ppl download and pay for don't get used
    Again, proving my point that a BB10 device without the android runtime would still be bought by folks that don't (or can't) use Android apps.

So if you also sell a BlackBerry skinned Android device for those that are ok with the premise of Android, but prefer the BB10 UI. The up side would be that the vast majority of current Android users might also at least consider buying the BlackBerry Android device knowing they don't have to sacrifice anything.

Otherwise, face it guys,... we're all gonna end up with some other Android/iOS/Windows device and trying to figure out how to buy BlackBerry's "productivity suites" that they announced last week. If we're lucky, it may only be half as impossible as buying a BBM Meetings subscription.

Posted via CB10
    Donvald and garrett1972 like this.
    03-05-15 02:12 PM
    Honestly, thinking about this just makes me feel like someone p*ssed in my cornflakes. On the one hand, I believe that doing something like this will help save the company. On the other hand, as a consumer, this is not what I want. I'd be perfectly happy with a BB10 device with no Android runtime. I didn't run out (literally) and buy a BB10 phone cause I wanted to run Android apps. I chose BlackBerry because I agree with their overall philosophy in the design of their phones and OS. I like the fact that it is a secured system but I can still side load apps if I choose.

To put it simply I don't use Android because I believe it is too open, and I don't use Apple because I believe it is too closed.

So, out of your choices I'd have to go with BB10 with no runtime, but I see that as leaving a huge problem for me. Would there actually be any apps left for BB10. There would be almost no incentive to make a native BB10 app, being that you could just put your Android app on the BlackBerry-Android and satisfy most consumers. Also, I have a Passport and there are only like 4 apps that I really want. Two of them are Android apps, one of them is an actual native Built for BB10 app (Solitaire City, the only game I really play), and the last one is an abomination of a yet to be released limbo. That last one is Bloomberg, and its really a shame the native Passport version is yet to be released.

Personally, as a consumer, I just don't like the idea of any of this. I have BB10 because I want BB10, not some hybrid of BB and Android.
    Tatwi, JeepBB, m1kr0 and 2 others like this.
    03-05-15 02:33 PM
    OK.... there are enough of us "negative" guys out here. I assume Kevin gave you the Title of #1 Fan also, and as such you aren't suppose to want anything to do with Android.
    Haha! At the end of the day, I'm for anything that sees BlackBerry as a company survive.
    JeepBB, DrBoomBotz and garrett1972 like this.
    03-05-15 02:37 PM
    And how is that any different to our current situation? Google services still won't be integrated... and you wouldn't be able to root it... ( well now that it's android it's open to that security flaw)
    Every time the question comes up there is never a good enough reason to make the switch from bb10 to android.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm and Randal Yandal like this.
    03-05-15 02:37 PM
    Honestly, thinking about this just makes me feel like someone p*ssed in my cornflakes. On the one hand, I believe that doing something like this will help save the company. On the other hand, as a consumer, this is not what I want. I'd be perfectly happy with a BB10 device with no Android runtime. I didn't run out (literally) and buy a BB10 phone cause I wanted to run Android apps. I chose BlackBerry because I agree with their overall philosophy in the design of their phones and OS. I like the fact that it is a secured system but I can still side load apps if I choose.

To put it simply I don't use Android because I believe it is too open, and I don't use Apple because I believe it is too closed.

So, out of your choices I'd have to go with BB10 with no runtime, but I see that as leaving a huge problem for me. Would there actually be any apps left for BB10. There would be almost no incentive to make a native BB10 app, being that you could just put your Android app on the BlackBerry-Android and satisfy most consumers. Also, I have a Passport and there are only like 4 apps that I really want. Two of them are Android apps, one of them is an actual native Built for BB10 app (Solitaire City, the only game I really play), and the last one is an abomination of a yet to be released limbo. That last one is Bloomberg, and its really a shame the native Passport version is yet to be released.

Personally, as a consumer, I just don't like the idea of any of this. I have BB10 because I want BB10, not some hybrid of BB and Android.
    Fair enough. That was exactly my question. It seems that while most BB10 users don't seek android apps, without the ability to run at least some, a BB10 device (given the realities of the lack of native apps) would become impractical.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 02:44 PM
    If they could keep the UI basically the same I don't think I would have a problem with it personally.

Posted via CB10
    Donvald likes this.
    03-05-15 02:45 PM
    My exact thoughts. I've been saying this in the forums for a little while now and people read me like I'm crazy. I was even an advocate of having BBRY bring over the virtual keyboard and HUB to other platforms before it was announced. If you can't get people to be on your device, get on their's.

BBRY should and maybe they already have, consider making an Android OS for retail and keep BB10 for enterprise. I'm sure the can build an Android OS and still implement their security process though the OS is open.
    JeepBB and Donvald like this.
    03-05-15 02:51 PM
210 123 ...