Hello
    Well I finally did it.
    I securely mounted my playbook in my car.
    It is my GPS Navigation system and it's working very well.
    Nogago maps has an offline option so I downloaded all the maps at home and set up the internal gps to do the rest!
    Nogago offers nite mode, navigation and it's so very much bigger then my Garmin is. Also has points of interest and a search for gas, coffee ect (for when I'm stopped)

When I don't want the maps I'm using a dark theme compass that shows speed and time tilt and direction it's called VCMS

Music I simply put an aux cable to it and it plays in the background with maps open. Easy.

I'm looking for app suggestions other head up or navigation apps, megellian is good but you get less control on the downloaded maps. So pass! I am mostly covered just wondering if some one has a suggestion for an app. Nothing more.

Is there an option for a camera? Like a back up cam?
    Not so much for parking lots but more when I'm at a camp site. With the RV.
    Has anyone got a wireless or bluetooth camera suggestion? Is it even possible?

Thanks!

Note: I fully respect the distracted driving laws! And follow them! This does have bridge and Hotspot and all that sure but they are not needed for the Navigation! Or what I use it for here. So to all the concerned people when I started the idea pleas know im still just as concerned about safety. My friends Chevy Taho has it in the same spot and just as big!
    Peace

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 339003

Note: it's shows 13 km/h it's not true I was parked in a garage gps was messing up.
    Attached Thumbnails My Playbook Navigation System-1425560030179_312784.jpeg  
    03-05-15 07:07 AM
    Cool! I like it

Posted via Q10Bold
    03-05-15 07:09 AM
    Removed
    03-05-15 07:11 AM
    Cool! I like it

Posted via Q10Bold
    Thanks I was a bit shy to post. Concerned I would get some hard feedback
    But decided to to ask some questions and show a great new use.

I really like that Nogago app

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 07:13 AM
    That's what I call a QNX Nav system! Good job.

Posted via CB10
    darkhawk likes this.
    03-05-15 07:16 AM
    Nice! I've been wanting to do something similar. I will have to try out the Nogago map system. I have had Magellan, and getting that thing to cache all the maps is a pain, an often fails to get everything you want.
    darkhawk likes this.
    03-05-15 07:17 AM
    That's a sweet set up...i'll look for those apps but my PlayBook's gps sucks.

Posted via CB10
    darkhawk likes this.
    03-05-15 07:20 AM
    Why not mount the PlayBook upside down? The screen rotates, and that way you can have your audio wire downwards? Can it rotate to portrait as well ? What mount did you use?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    03-05-15 07:29 AM
    Nogago is better then megellian for download maps
    It's a bit odd you can't search areas like usa load but I'm in southern Ontario so I just searched each city around till I felt I had it all covered.
    I got a big trip planned and for it I just searched cities along the way to ensure I had the route. And don't bother with adding contours unless your biking or hiking with it.

Posted via CB10
    seemsixty7 likes this.
    03-05-15 07:34 AM
    That idea is great! I have done the same thing with my Z10 (beacuse I don't have a Playbook) and it is awesome. I also use it as a media center in my living room, streaming netflix, amazon prime, spotify ...
    BerryRipe and darkhawk like this.
    03-05-15 07:35 AM
    That's a sweet set up...i'll look for those apps but my PlayBook's gps sucks.

Posted via CB10
    The GPS ain't too bad I have found. Before I set out on testing I set the gps on my dash to fully get the signal set strong and as fast as possible then docked it and set out! I have been impressed with its accuracy for driving.
    I have not used it for geocaching tho

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 07:36 AM
    Why not mount the PlayBook upside down? The screen rotates, and that way you can have your audio wire downwards? Can it rotate to portrait as well ? What mount did you use?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    It is not upside down? You can see the aux cable out the top right corner.

I chose to mount it in landscape I find it best for me for navigation! Also I ran power to the charge port below and aux easy to top!

The mount I fabricated. I modified a soft playbook case, secured steel strapping behind it that then goes into my vents to support the top. Then at the bottem I have steel legs that rest hidden above me temperature cluster. 2 screws hidden are also there as support just in case

this mount is very easily removed when you know how but secure when driving.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 07:41 AM
    Nice. I like the z10 idea it would offer more for app and accuracy

But new life into the playbook was the goal!
    Also 32 gig with music. Not the best screen for music so glad It runs well in background.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 07:43 AM
    That's what I call a QNX Nav system! Good job.

Posted via CB10
    Haha for sure!

Thanks for all the love folks

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 07:44 AM
    I just purchased VCMS (cool app) but what is SMTP Address and the app won't let me input my email in the account settings page.

I didn't see Nogogo for driving, only for walking & hiking. I have OsmAnd Maps but I never used it for driving.

I like DIY projects so I will subscribe to this thread, thanks for sharing your idea!

Posted via CB10
    darkhawk likes this.
    03-05-15 08:18 AM
    The vcms is limited to what it is I had trouble doing anything more but it's all I want it to do
    I have had Nogago for long time so maybe something has changed.
    Sorry

This project has been on my todo for long time. Would love to see what you come up with.

My expansions are a web cam or 2. I'm getting an RV and want to have a rear camera for parking at sites.
    I'm looking for other takes on the idea too!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:23 AM
    I loved the modified dashboards to take the playbook
    But wanted the semi- permanent option and I feel I met that

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:33 AM
    Very cool. I carry mine in and out of my truck and it fits nicely in the down console so I've never mounted mine. I have 3 and always have one in my vehicle. I have unlimited data through my bridge so I've always got Pandora or some music on. I use Neutron player for my downloaded music when my signal isn't good. I do use Magellan but I am going to try Nogago after reading this. I also use VCMS as a console feature. It looks cool. I have heard of remote camera use before but I can't remember where it was.

To your point about distracted driving, I've trained myself not to touch or adjust my devices while driving.
    03-05-15 09:08 AM
    Very cool. I carry mine in and out of my truck and it fits nicely in the down console so I've never mounted mine. I have 3 and always have one in my vehicle. I have unlimited data through my bridge so I've always got Pandora or some music on. I use Neutron player for my downloaded music when my signal isn't good. I do use Magellan but I am going to try Nogago after reading this. I also use VCMS as a console feature. It looks cool. I have heard of remote camera use before but I can't remember where it was.

To your point about distracted driving, I've trained myself not to touch or adjust my devices while driving.
    Nogago has worked for me. I hear complaints. Megellian just didn't have a few things I wanted. But for you with the data it might be better. In the us you get weather and other nice features. But for all round offline I found Nogago worked for me. I tried many!!

Sounds like you got a great set up. The net radio would be perfect. Jealous.

The native music is ugly and klmsoft is not much better I'll try neutron. Thanks!

Tinycam is what I jusr read about but have not tried.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 09:26 AM
    Osmand should be better for your purposes than Nogago, and since Nogago is an offshoot of Osmand, the learning curve should be short.
    darkhawk likes this.
    03-05-15 10:12 AM
    Oh interesting
    Thanks alot

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 10:38 AM
    You could build a bluetooth keyboard into the Glove compartment for your front passenger. He / She could write emails, texts, surf the web, etc...

Maybe you can convince the developer of "Work Wide" to port his app to the Playbook. Then you could have navigation on the left and browser / email / music on the right side. (damn, that would be awesome!!)
    Last edited by ATV_Hightower; 03-05-15 at 12:25 PM.
    BerryRipe likes this.
    03-05-15 12:08 PM
    Can you post some pictures of how you mounted your playbook?
    03-05-15 12:31 PM
    This is awesome...we're keeping the PB alive!

Neutron is one of those app you love & hate at the same time, maybe hate is a bit excessive.

Posted via CB10
    darkhawk likes this.
    03-05-15 01:42 PM
    Can you post some pictures of how you mounted your playbook?
    Sure I'll get them too you as soon as I can. It's simple. I tried to keep it functional simple

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 02:10 PM
45 12