Hey all, I know it's not for everyone but I would really like to have the option for my apps to be auto organized by how often I use them. Does anyone else feel this way?

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 11:48 AM
    Maybe not for me, but options are always nice.

There are a ton of things I wish there was an option for instead of fixing things to only one way.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 12:55 PM
    What would be the advantage of that option? I can only see disadvantages.

Posted via CB10
    der_mit likes this.
    03-03-15 01:23 PM
    Į have that on my android device. BlackBerry is other thing, get use to it.
    In my case,i just made most used apps at first page, and others in the second. Crap Į never use is in the folder on same second page. Handy.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 02:24 PM
    +1 to op! I want more options on home screen! "Auto sort by" option should b there with different choices (alphabetical, default, newest, most used" etc

Via CB10 using Z10
    JamesW_UK likes this.
    03-04-15 06:37 AM
    The advantage would be that your most used apps would be first lol. Like I said I know that it's not for everyone to keep it like that but to say that you only see disadvantages is like saying you only see disadvantages about using filters on an excel spreadsheet...

Posted via CB10
    JamesW_UK likes this.
    03-04-15 02:33 PM
    This would not be for me because I don't want my icons moving constantly based on usage or some other reason but this option is fine for those who want it.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 02:58 PM
    Hi all,

I too would like to see more options for sorting HomeScreen Application / URL short-cuts. To me and I see, some of the others, it does not seem logical to miss out this sort of functionality when designing a display which will contain a list or group of objects.

However, each to their own and what is one person's top-rated mobile device is another person's door-stop...

I wanted to mention something I found as a potential stop-gap whilst researching this; ZeroTouchSystems' "Auto App Organizer free" (com.utility.autoapporganizer) which is a free App over on Google Play.

I downloaded the apk file for it, installed it, and it runs OK on my Z10 OS 10.3.2, listing all my applications in alphabetical order within the app itself.

I did look into coding something myself, but trying to learn Cascades and the Momentics IDE is proving tough going... I couldn't see that there was a method within the Homescreen class to collect short-cut details...can't post links, but from the developer pages;

/q

The HomeScreen class provides an API for interactions between an application and the home screen. The current set of possible interactions are:Changing the wallpaper on the background of the home screen to a new image.

Notifications when the device becomes screen or password locked.

Adding shortcuts for URLs.

Notification when the device enters and exits bedside mode.

/end

...what I'd hoped is that one could write code to capture all the installed applications, or all the short-cuts on the HomeScreen(s), write these to a file / database etc. with their names, last run date et al, then perform a sort on the data based on A-Z, newest, most used, least used or similar.

Once the "short-cuts" were sorted as required, I thought it would be an easy matter to literally delete all the existing short-cuts, and write "back" new ones using the database file data, in order, based on the sort.

Either that, or something that could move a short-cut to the left of the HomeScreen based on it's name from A - Z, against what other app shortcuts were already there, and loop this through all the existing short-cuts.

So, an example would be if you had three short-cuts called "Calculator", "Browser", and "Super Happy Picture Ladies" listed in that order, you'd run the app, it would take the furthest right short-cut first (IE. the last one on the last-used HomeScreen frame) and try and move it to become the first short-cut, IF its name comes earlier in the A-Z format than the existing icon. If it's before, it becomes the first short-cut... if it's after the first, it tests to see if it is second against the third and so on...
    So in my example (I know it's no flowchart, but....),

Code:
    -"Super Happy Picture Ladies" tries to move itself from short-cut x of 3 to short-cut 1; 
    --it tests it's name against short-cut 1; "Is my short-cut name earlier in A-Z than short-cut Calculator?"; 
    ---result = false, 
    ---move right to next short-cut; 

--"Is my short-cut name earlier in A-Z than short-cut Browser?"; 
    --loop next left icon-"Browser" tries to move itself from short-cut x of 3 to short-cut 1;;
    --it tests it's name against short-cut 1; "Is my short-cut name earlier in A-Z than short-cut Calculator?";;
    ---result = true;
    ---move left of this short-cut;
    ---no more short-cuts to check against; drop short-cut here

--loop next left icon

-"Calculator" tries to move itself from short-cut x of 3 to short-cut 1;
    --it tests it's name against short-cut 1; "Is my short-cut name earlier in A-Z than short-cut Browser (now it's moved)?";
    ---result = false,
    ---move right to next short-cut;;
    --"Is my short-cut name earlier in A-Z than short-cut ?"Super Happy Picture Ladies";
    ---result = true,;
    ---move left of this short-cut;;
    ---no more short-cuts to check against; drop short-cut here

--loop next icon

--end loop
    I can see other short-cut creating applications such as "Shortcut Creator - HomeScreen shortcut" From ToySoft, but I can't see any that offer to re-arrange existing short-cuts in similar methods as I lay out above.

Regards

James
    Last edited by JamesW_UK; 12-22-15 at 12:51 PM. Reason: posted incomplete
    12-22-15 11:43 AM