Hi fellow BB users:

It seems everyone is really pleased with the new update, especially those who had the flicker issue. Am I the only one who is having problems with the update?

1. Battery life decreased by about 30%, top of the passport at the back is always warm to touch now, charging time doubled, refusing to charge at normal rate using 3rd party cable.
    2. Overall some sluggishness, especially when using Whatsapp in the Hub. Android apps takes slightly longer to load (20%). Pocket Casts, which has always been slow, now stutters at times when playing at x2 speed.
    3. When inside a message (say SMS) cannot swipe up from the keyboard to exit - must be sure to swipe from the edge of the screen (small issue, takes some getting used to due to previous habit).
    4. Blue rectangle at the bottom of the screen when unlocking the phone - disappears once the screen refreshes (no biggie).

It's really the battery issue which is the major headache, and I am not too fond of having a slower phone either. As for the positives, I don't really see any changes for the passport. There is the rectangular 16:9 aspect ratio now, which is good for some people, although I don't need it. And that's about it. I wish I had not upgraded. Hope not many people will encounter these problems.
    02-27-15 11:00 AM
    Type myver
    What os are you running..?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    BloombergPhone likes this.
    02-27-15 11:03 AM
    It seems you have more of an install issue. Try to backup your important info and reload your OS, or just a security wipe and start over.
    This always fixes these kinds of problems.

Or just a reboot sometimes. Have you even looked at the device monitor?
    02-27-15 11:06 AM
    Thank you nah.uhh and mad_mdx for your replies.

nah.uhh: myver is PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267

mad_mdx: Sorry, that's not really a solution. Everyone knows that if you have any non-hardware problems on any electronic device, from PCs to phones, you can "fix" it by wiping it and starting again. Apologies for sounding unappreciative, but pretty sick of hearing this "solution" whenever there is a problem. I bought a BB for its reliability and battery life and because I got sick of how Androids always have strange problems that require a reset and its horrible battery. If BBs are just as unreliable as Android, I might as well use Android given its large number of apps. The battery issue is even worse today. Lasted 6 hours without me actually doing much on it. It normally lasts 16 hours. And what's worse, it now requires 8-9 hours to charge up. If I am going to have to reset it, I might as well sell it. There is no guarantee it would work, and the hassle of losing in-app data and spending hours restoring everything is just not worth it.

Edit: Today's Dilbert summed it up nicely. Oops it says I can't post links.
    dilbert.com/strip/2015-03-01
    Last edited by BloombergPhone; 03-01-15 at 01:48 PM.
    02-28-15 11:41 AM
    Why do I need a moderator to approve my posts? My original message didn't need it. Seems like an overkill. It's just an ordinary forum. Anyway, I forgot to reply to one of your questions.

The device monitor shows that:
    • System (35%)
    • Standby (34%)
    • Display (32%)
    • Android Player (29%)
    • PIM Services (17%)
    • And the rest are under (10%)

I am just wondering if I am the only one with this problem or others have it too. I won't upgrade the OS on any other device from now on. It was rubbish on iOS, it was OK on Android actually, it's rubbish on Mac, not too bad on Windows, and I thought good old reliable BB won't mess up an upgrade. I guess all OS are like this. None are better than the others.

Edit: Strange, this message didn't need moderator approval, but the other did. Why? No swear words, nothing.

Anyway in summary I thanked both of you for your messages. My version is PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267. I noticed that it's not 2480; is that a problem?

I noted that wiping the phone is not a solution at all, and is an annoying generic suggestion given when people have no idea what's wrong. The effort isn't worth it, and I might as well sell the phone before I do something that isn't guaranteed to fix it, but would sink hours of my time, backing up some info while losing in-app data etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no settings reset option is there? It seems you can only perform a factory reset and lose everything. That's kind of pathetic. iOS and Android have that option. Would have been willing to try a simple settings reset and hope that would work. Would only need an hour or less to revert back to my own settings again.

Anyway, thanks for your messages.
    Last edited by BloombergPhone; 02-28-15 at 12:01 PM.
    02-28-15 11:47 AM
    Anyway in summary I thanked both of you for your messages. My version is PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267. I noticed that it's not 2480; is that a problem?
    Yup. 2267 battery was horrible for me for a few days, it was weird. Usually I will
    Load os > wait for cpu usage to drop > reboot = all is well
    After 2267, cpu usage (system) wouldn't drop for days.

2480 solved nearly all of my problems. I honestly think the flicker was more than just a flicker.

Anyway
    Setup:
    1. download Sachesi for your computer (windows mac or linux)
    2. Download the 2480 package - it is a zip folder. Unzip it.
    2.1 the resulting folder contains 2 folders. One of them is useless and a small size with a name like "mac osx", the other the one you want names "2480 for passport"

Install
    3. Open sachesi and type your device password into it. If your device doesn't have a password leave it blank.
    4. Go to the install tab in sachesi, click the install folder button and select the folder from step 2.1
    4.1 the install process will stall at 100% for a minute or two, as will the bootup process. No worries, be patient. It shouldn't stall for longer than 15 minutes though.

Note - backups: before doing any of this, I highly recommend downloading the app from http://www.deviceswitch.com and using it to create a backup to SD card.
    Backup password keeper manually from within the app.

Also, if you use link for backups: change your backup type to "custom". Doing this let's you selectively restore applications.
    When using link to restore, I never restore "settings" (I use deviceswitch.com app for contacts etc) and 95% of the time I will deselect "BlackBerry runtime" and if I have problems, I will also deselect "system applications".
    Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no settings reset option is there? It seems you can only perform a factory reset and lose everything. That's kind of pathetic. iOS and Android have that option. Would have been willing to try a simple settings reset and hope that would work. Would only need an hour or less to revert back to my own settings again.

Anyway, thanks for your messages.
    If you'd like to go this route, perform the custom backup in link as outlined above. Use device switch for contacts and calendar etc backup password keeper from within the app.
    1. Download autoloader for passport 2267
    2. Create backup of contacts calendar etc using deviceswitch.com app
    3. Create custom backup using link, selecting everything
    4. Run the autoloader (faster than security wipe)
    5. Open app world and check for updates, update all apps.
    6. Restore contacts and calendar etc using deviceswitch.com app
    7. Important - check cpu usage and wait for it to drop before proceeding.
    8. Restore using link, deselecting "settings", "system applications" and "application data > BlackBerry runtime"

You should be of flying afterwards.
    BloombergPhone and bh7171 like this.
    02-28-15 01:16 PM
    Wow, thanks a lot for your help!! That's amazing. Um, it's a lot of work, but if it can help me get back my old battery life, it is worth it. So how come BB doesn't just release 2480? Do you think they will fix the battery issue in a future patch? I imagined I might be the only one with this problem, but if others have it, perhaps it would be fixed?

By the way, I was charging my phone and at 6:30, I noticed that it was 100% charged. I didn't unlock the phone, I just unplugged it. I left the phone there and didn't touch it the entire night until 12:30. It was showing 98%! That's consistent with the way the battery was like before! I thought the problem fixed itself. I unlocked my phone and looked at the battery monitor etc. I put my phone down, went to have a shower, did some stuff. Came back at 1:30ish, and the battery was down to 85%. Sigh...
    03-01-15 12:56 AM
    Have you tried just doing a couple of hard reboots?
    Hold the volume up and down keys simultaneously until you see the BlackBerry logo start up (after it takes a screen shot).

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 01:24 AM
    "Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting."

Again? Why? How come some messages require approval and others don't?

Edit: See, this one didn't require approval. What's so special about my other message above (which you can't see if it hasn't been approved yet).
    I think it has something to do with you being a new user. Must be to keep bots and marketers off the forums.
    As for your issues, you should 10.3.1.2480.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 01:38 AM
    Yup. 2267 battery was horrible for me for a few days, it was weird. Usually I will
    Load os > wait for cpu usage to drop > reboot = all is well
    After 2267, cpu usage (system) wouldn't drop for days.

2480 solved nearly all of my problems. I honestly think the flicker was more than just a flicker.

Anyway
    Setup:
    1. download Sachesi for your computer (windows mac or linux)
    2. Download the 2480 package - it is a zip folder. Unzip it.
    2.1 the resulting folder contains 2 folders. One of them is useless and a small size with a name like "mac osx", the other the one you want names "2480 for passport"

Install
    3. Open sachesi and type your device password into it. If your device doesn't have a password leave it blank.
    4. Go to the install tab in sachesi, click the install folder button and select the folder from step 2.1
    4.1 the install process will stall at 100% for a minute or two, as will the bootup process. No worries, be patient. It shouldn't stall for longer than 15 minutes though.

Note - backups: before doing any of this, I highly recommend downloading the app from http://www.deviceswitch.com and using it to create a backup to SD card.
    Backup password keeper manually from within the app.

Also, if you use link for backups: change your backup type to "custom". Doing this let's you selectively restore applications.
    When using link to restore, I never restore "settings" (I use deviceswitch.com app for contacts etc) and 95% of the time I will deselect "BlackBerry runtime" and if I have problems, I will also deselect "system applications".

If you'd like to go this route, perform the custom backup in link as outlined above. Use device switch for contacts and calendar etc backup password keeper from within the app.
    1. Download autoloader for passport 2267
    2. Create backup of contacts calendar etc using deviceswitch.com app
    3. Create custom backup using link, selecting everything
    4. Run the autoloader (faster than security wipe)
    5. Open app world and check for updates, update all apps.
    6. Restore contacts and calendar etc using deviceswitch.com app
    7. Important - check cpu usage and wait for it to drop before proceeding.
    8. Restore using link, deselecting "settings", "system applications" and "application data > BlackBerry runtime"

You should be of flying afterwards.
    Cannot thank you enough. Great, descriptive step by step. Helped me immensely.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    03-01-15 02:34 AM
    While I am typically against leaks for critical uses, I agree you should try 2480. I consider it semi official coming to the community via bla1ze as well.
    03-01-15 02:37 AM
    Thank you everyone for your replies.

otuslanderz: I didn't know about the hard reboots. I have tried it just now. It rebooted quite fast compared with normal. I don't know if it works yet as I am home and so have it on the charger. Thank you for the suggestion.

arnavrs: That could well be it. I am not THAT new by the way. I actually joined back in November when I got my BB. Thanks for the idea.

bbdj92651: Does this mean if I wait, 2480 would be released one day? Any time frame? Thanks for the input.

mad_mdx: I had another look at the battery monitor. I went through almost all the apps, looking at the CPU usage of each app. The only one which seems to be active throughout the day is Dropbox. I have linked the Dropbox account on BB, AND also installed the Android version of Dropbox. I assume it's referring to the Android version. I've disabled it and will see if it helps with the battery.
    03-01-15 08:22 AM
    arnavrs: That could well be it. I am not THAT new by the way. I actually joined back in November when I got my BB. Thanks for the idea.
    You have just 9 forum posts, the message could have been being displayed because you were under 5 posts. Again this is guesswork, I guess a moderator can confirm this.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 08:47 PM
    arnavrs: Yes, you are probably right. Just wasn't sure why the approval requirement was inconsistent, where by it would hold back some messages but allow others through. Anyway, no biggie.

Anyway, for anyone interested, I have found the source of my problem. It's the incompatibility between 2267 and Android Dropbox. I have experimented several times to confirm my suspicions, and each time I closed Dropbox via device monitor, the CPU would be freed up and the battery usage would drop. So for me, it's a matter of closing the app whenever I don't need it. That's good enough for me. Hopefully 2480 would "fix" the incompatibility. For users who are not using Dropbox but are experiencing the same problem, check the CPU usage of all the apps.

The bug should be related on some common thread which is used by Dropbox and some other Android apps. I suspect it is related to it sitting in the background, detecting new files and uploading them to the server. So any cloud based apps that works in the background could be affected.

Thanks everyone again for your replies.
    03-03-15 06:44 AM
    Why not just use the native dropbox app instead of an android port?

And by the way, typically any modern OS sometimes can have issues with upgrades. Your only options are to either uninstall the upgrade(if possible) or to reinstall the OS. This is not an unreasonable answer to your problem. With PIM services being at 17% and android player at 29%, you not only have an issue with the android port, but also an issue with your PIM services which would require an OS reinstal to fix.

With you leaving out the dirty little dropbox android port in the OP, one would infer that you have a corrupt OS install causing your issues, So for anyone reading the OP, the logical course of action is to backup your device and reinstall the OS.
    arnavrs and BloombergPhone like this.
    03-03-15 07:03 AM
    [*]Blue rectangle at the bottom of the screen when unlocking the phone - disappears once the screen refreshes (no biggie).
    I get that too on PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480

Happens on the active frames as well! It looks like if it was the "selected" item just like you see on a classic

Maybe a sign of touch keyboard navigation...

Update 10.3.1.28 Issues-img_20150307_040838.png

Posted from my Canadian PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    03-07-15 03:18 AM
    homer1475 Thanks for your reply. Are you referring to the "Connect to Dropbox", which enables the native File Manager to access Dropbox files? I prefer the Android Dropbox app because it saves a cache of the folder structure and the downloaded files, thus allowing instant access. For someone with my problem, it is up to each individual and their usage patterns to decide whether they would prefer to put up with the slow operation of File Manager, or whether they prefer to use Android Dropbox, but having to close it to save battery after each use. If it is a large file that is deep inside layers of sub-directory, which I have opened before, I would use Android Dropbox and spend 5 seconds to close the app afterwards. If it is a small simple file at the top layers of the directory structure, or one which I don't think I will open again in the near future, I would use the File Manager. For anyone who uses Dropbox a lot, and who don't have my battery issue, the Android Dropbox is much better.

The expectation that "modern OS" can have issues during upgrades really speaks volume about how bad the situation is, rather than how users have too high a standard. With this expectation in mind, it is best not to upgrade. For instance, I am still using Windows 7, Lion, and iOS 7. I thought I could trust BlackBerry with what I thought was a minor upgrade which is why I upgraded it this time.

Now that I realise the issue is an incompatibility with an Android program, I would not blame BlackBerry for the problems this time, but hope they will do something about it (if possible), regardless of whether problem is their fault or not. But if the issue were not related to Android, then the situation is unacceptable, and points to poor quality and work ethics that is endemic within the industry. The flickering screen issue for instance is simply ridiculous.

If it is possible to uninstall/reinstall the OS without losing any app data, then that is indeed one possible solution to be considered if less drastic ones are not available. On the other hand I consider any "solution" amounting to factory reinstallation of an OS to be not a solution at all. If you think that's a solution, then I would love to open a technical support company. It is half way to asking someone to just buy a new phone. One costs money, the other costs a lot of time and lost app data. Some people care more about money, some care more about time and data.

Reinstalling the OS is the absolute last thing to consider, not the first. I feel it is better for someone to just not reply because they don't know how to fix a problem, then to flippantly state the obvious reinstall "solution". Moreover, can anyone guarantee that reinstallation works? "Reinstall" is just a 9-letter word for you to type out, but it represents hours of time and lost app data for me. I really appreciate nah.uhh's post because, he/she really made an effort to help me. Although I did not follow through with it, I appreciate that he/she took the time and looked up the steps involved. In the end, I am just going to sit it out and wait for the official upgrade.

By the way, what's a corrupt OS? I don't know if there is a definition (corrupted file, I understand). On the one hand, it sounds "right". On the other hand, it again sounds like "something is wrong, but I don't know what". You said something to the effect of, "not having enough information to go on, the only logical solution is to reinstall". True, but there is something called troubleshooting. The last thing that mad_mdx said amounted to troubleshooting which redeems the whole message. If he/she had changed the order in which the advice was given, it would have "felt" better. By troubleshooting, we found out the android incompatibility issue. Isn't that much less time consuming than reinstalling and best of all, no lost data. And who said that reinstalling would have solved the problem? Is the OS really "corrupt"? This is just an assumption. If the person making the suggestion has done it themselves and it worked, then that is fine - it is a genuine last ditch solution. Otherwise it is a frivolous way of giving a generic advice which is not really that helpful, but costs a lot of time and lost data for the person receiving the "advice".

Your observation that PIM services and Android Player show high utilisation rates is appreciated, thank you. I suspect that all other applications are affected by the Android port. Once one application misbehaves and kidnaps the CPU resources, there is a cascading effect where every other application will struggle for CPU usage, leading to huge inefficiencies and a spiralling effect. OSes, have never seem to be able to deal with load balancing properly. Multi-tasking is still very inefficient with bottlenecks.

Sorry my reply was so long, constantly repeating some points. Hope it's not too annoying to read.

dalight13 Thanks for the interesting insight and screen cap! You obviously don't have any problems with your battery! Impressive stats.
    Last edited by BloombergPhone; 03-08-15 at 10:55 AM.
    03-08-15 10:06 AM
    arnavrs: Yes, you are probably right. Just wasn't sure why the approval requirement was inconsistent, where by it would hold back some messages but allow others through. Anyway, no biggie.

Anyway, for anyone interested, I have found the source of my problem. It's the incompatibility between 2267 and Android Dropbox. I have experimented several times to confirm my suspicions, and each time I closed Dropbox via device monitor, the CPU would be freed up and the battery usage would drop. So for me, it's a matter of closing the app whenever I don't need it. That's good enough for me. Hopefully 2480 would "fix" the incompatibility. For users who are not using Dropbox but are experiencing the same problem, check the CPU usage of all the apps.

The bug should be related on some common thread which is used by Dropbox and some other Android apps. I suspect it is related to it sitting in the background, detecting new files and uploading them to the server. So any cloud based apps that works in the background could be affected.

Thanks everyone again for your replies.
    I recently upgraded to 10.3.1.28 as well and I'm getting the overheating issues in the top right corner, and I get constant screen flickers whenever I open the Calendar. Strangely enough, I have never used the Dropbox apps but this is still happening. Maybe its more than just Dropbox incompatibly at play.. I may try the 2480 solution as well
    03-08-15 12:54 PM
    heartsthat: Hello, yes I suspect that it could also affect other Android apps too. Perhaps you can look through the Battery Usage of your Android apps, especially those with cloud services. For me, what I saw was that Dropbox was active all the time, even when I was not using it - such as during my sleeping hours. So if you noticed something similar happening in one of your apps, then it could be the culprit.
    03-12-15 11:15 AM
    Just a short update. I have updated to 10.3.1.2576. The exact same thing happened, where the back is hot and the battery drains really quickly. However, just going through and closing all the Android apps in the battery monitor solved the problem. Even if you open the offending app again, it might not (not 100% sure at this point) result in the battery drain again. Alternative, one could try and set the offending app to not run in the background. Anyway, so far so good once you know this trick.
    03-29-15 11:24 AM
    Hello all,

I spent sometime searching and have not scene a resolution. Last week my BB Passport received a update. Yesterday I noticed the battery drained way to fast then what I was use too. Any ideas why this would happen and how to resolve and or why all the sudden?

Any info would be great.
    07-22-15 11:07 AM
    Since latest update-no problems except one minor one. When I go to Settings the font is now much bigger than before

Posted via CB10
    07-23-15 10:26 AM