Hello.

I own a q10 on 10.2.1.1055 and a z30 on 10.2.0.1803.

I need to learn the best way to keep both phones in sync (mainly contacts and calendar) via a windows 7 or windows server 2008, plus a weekly backup, including media.

I tried with Link but it is very disappointing (I even lost some pictures).

Could be BES 10 helping in all this, plus maybe some additional software?

Thank you.
    11-17-13 12:51 PM
    Does the App "Fire Chest Backup" the job? You might create a DropBox account (2 GB free) and the App itself is free in BlackBerry World...
    I have only one device, but if whiped or managing to buy another one, it is the solution I intended for my self.
    Here a screenshot of what it syncs, I have a Q10 with little screen, so moved a bit down so you see most checkboxes:
    Attachment 221755
    11-17-13 01:10 PM
    Thank you.

Well, I am looking for something more "local" which could also sync between phones. Cloud could be an option, but I am definitely looking to use my pc.

I never used BES, but I am in the will to get it in case it could be useful to get the job done at the best.

Any hint?

Thank you.
    11-17-13 02:09 PM
    I'm using fruux just for calendars and quite happy with it. It has the option for contacts too. I think the site is fruux.com. Although there's a premium service, with free is enough

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 03:08 PM
    Why not use Outlook.com and hook both phones to the same account? ActiveSync will keep your email, contacts, and calendar synched for you.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 07:30 PM
    Why not use Outlook.com and hook both phones to the same account? ActiveSync will keep your email, contacts, and calendar synched for you.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my thought and definitely what i would recommend. This way, your contacts, calendar and emails are pretty much on a "cloud" storage.. and with outlook.com, your remember notes will sync as well.
    11-17-13 08:52 PM
    Outlook.com or Gmail are your best bet

I'm assuming that you don't have your own exchange server so BES is useless for you.

IMHO it doesn't make sense to go through the hassles of setting it up locally when it can be done for free and it backs it up as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 09:11 PM
    I need help.

I cannot get my phone to sync towards outlook.com for my contacts.

Contacts from Outlook.com does appear on my phone. But my phone contact does not appear on outlook.com.

Calendar works both ways sync. Emails work both ways sync. Just bloody contacts! Any advice? thanks

I saw in another post

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-sync-853320/

it seems outlook wont sync local contacts unless they are in the cloud. how do I resolve this? thanks

Edit: I saw this has been discussed http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ok-com-861594/
    but still an very cumbersome process....
    Last edited by 123nat; 11-18-13 at 03:14 PM.
    11-18-13 02:48 PM
    I need help.

I cannot get my phone to sync towards outlook.com for my contacts.

Contacts from Outlook.com does appear on my phone. But my phone contact does not appear on outlook.com.

Calendar works both ways sync. Emails work both ways sync. Just bloody contacts! Any advice? thanks

I saw in another post

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-sync-853320/

it seems outlook wont sync local contacts unless they are in the cloud. how do I resolve this? thanks

Edit: I saw this has been discussed http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ok-com-861594/
    but still an very cumbersome process....
    Hi there... I have the same problem, for older contacts! by older, I mean, the contacts I had on the phone /before/ I added my outlook account. All the contacts I entre today appear in Outlook.com whereas the older ones not... if you have not so much (or delete one to reentre it immediately to test it) reentre them... I have some more and have no time to reentre all my contacts with many numbres and emails and so on!

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany
    11-19-13 01:06 PM
    Hi there... I have the same problem, for older contacts! by older, I mean, the contacts I had on the phone /before/ I added my outlook account. All the contacts I entre today appear in Outlook.com whereas the older ones not... if you have not so much (or delete one to reentre it immediately to test it) reentre them... I have some more and have no time to reentre all my contacts with many numbres and emails and so on!

Hi,

Its very simple but its many steps. Give yourself a couple of hours.

1. Back up contacts to vCard 3.0 format using Firechest backup app.
    2. Go to dropbox, put the file in your PC
    3. merge all the vcards files into one file using this method How to import multiple vCards (.vcf files) into Gmail or Outlook

4. Set up a new email account on Gmail.com
    5. Import the .vcf file (vcard file with all your contacts merged into one file as per step 3 above)
    6. Now all your contacts appear on Gmail.
    7. export all your gmail contacts into a .csv file suitable for outlook (gmail gives that option)
    8. save the .csv file on your computer
    9. Open outlook.com, import the .csv file
    10. Bingo, all of it now on Outlook.com and will sync with your device
    11. delete all local contacts saved on device: -settings>accounts>three dot button>clear local contacts

Now all your contacts will be on Outlook.com. you can edit it on Outlook.com and it will automatically edit on your device. Its a lot quicker.

You may have to manually link some contacts e.g you have the same contact in facebook and outlook. But generally the BB10 OS does this automatically.

Good luck! and remember back up your device before doing all this.
    Last edited by 123nat; 11-20-13 at 06:02 AM. Reason: import the .csv file not all the .csv files
    11-19-13 01:29 PM
    Hi,

3. merge all the vcards files into one file using this method How to import multiple vCards (.vcf files) into Gmail or Outlook

5. Import the .vcf file (vcard file with all your contacts merged into one file as per step 3 above)
    7. export all your gmail contacts into a .csv file suitable for outlook (gmail gives that option)
    9. Open outlook.com, import all the .csv files
    11. delete all local contacts saved on device: -settings>accounts>three dot button>clear local contacts

Now all your contacts will be on Outlook.com. you can edit it on Outlook.com and it will automatically edit on your device. Its a lot quicker.

You may have to manually link some contacts e.g you have the same contact in facebook and outlook. But generally the BB10 OS does this automatically.

Thanks, I'll definitely print out this... however, I might keep local contacts, coz I can't always rely on the connectivity... it has to be "online" to get the contact list, isn't it? Or can I see the contact(s) even if in airplane mode?? (Bad connection in my workplace, use my Q as phonebook in emergencies and call from internal phones then... But I have to rely on my contact lists!
    Thanks again, best solution sofar!

11-19-13 01:36 PM
    Thanks, I'll definitely print out this... however, I might keep local contacts, coz I can't always rely on the connectivity... it has to be "online" to get the contact list, isn't it? Or can I see the contact(s) even if in airplane mode?? (Bad connection in my workplace, use my Q as phonebook in emergencies and call from internal phones then... But I have to rely on my contact lists!

I went to flight mode (settings>network connections>flight mode ON) and it switched off my radios. my Contacts was still there.

Why would Blackberry give us the option to clear all local contacts? Because its clearly the thing of the past. But I am sure someone will come along and give an better explanation of how active sync works
    11-19-13 01:59 PM
    If all you need are contacts/cal/tasks, exchange does the trick. I've got outlook, apple mail, q10 and ipad all synced flawlessly (though apples programs interfaces suck but that's a whole other game)

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 02:23 PM
    I went to flight mode (settings>network connections>flight mode ON) and it switched off my radios. my Contacts was still there.

Why would Blackberry give us the option to clear all local contacts? Because its clearly the thing of the past. But I am sure someone will come along and give an better explanation of how active sync works
    Might be saved in the 2GB RAM... what if restarted in Airplane mode... just curious ;-)

11-19-13 02:52 PM
    If all you need are contacts/cal/tasks, exchange does the trick. I've got outlook, apple mail, q10 and ipad all synced flawlessly (though apples programs interfaces suck but that's a whole other game)

Posted via CB10
    Okay, but it is not free of charge!

11-19-13 03:06 PM
    Right, I did that for you! I put it in flight mode, and restarted the phone.

Phone was restarted and still in flight mode. All my contacts are still there! So you can feel more confident!

Someone still needs to come along and explain all this. I think all the contacts are saved on the main drive (which is obvious hidden from us) and any changes are sync whenever there is a wireless connection.

But again, someone needs to explain.
    11-19-13 03:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    There is a misleading thing going on

1. Outlook.com is a email provider. It replaced Hotmail.com

2. Outlook is a software on the computer. Some people (business usually) have the Exchange server. All emails go via that.

People get muddled up between the two.
    11-19-13 03:09 PM
    Okay! So I am more confident about that... I'll give it a try, as soon as I get the time to go through the list... I already mailed it to myself (i.e. shared in Remember as a Task)...

Thanks again!

11-19-13 03:45 PM

You only have to be online to sync your contacts with ActivSync, but once they are on your device they live there until someone or something removes them. Going offline will not have any affect.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 05:08 PM
    Question: MS Outlook Desktop 2013 has an option to import VCF files; not sure if the consolidated VCF file can work? If so, it could be another option because of the MS Outlook & Outlook.com integration =)

Hi,

9. Open outlook.com, import the .csv file

11-20-13 11:08 PM