Ive been having battery issues lately on my PB. Losing about 10% per hour. Only happens with wifi turned on. Battery Guru indicates a drain rate of about 1.20W on standby. Restars didnt help, and the problem only happened while wifi was on. I figured it might have to do with any accounts I had configured on the device (none of them were on manual sync). Deleting my hotmail account (which thankfully i rarely use), seemed to have fixed the issue. Trying to re-add the account, it seems to have problem and the PB fails to set it up, so I currently still have no hotmail account, but that doesn't bother me. My girlfriend has also been having hotmail issues on her Gallaxy Nexus lately, not being able to connect to its servers from the device. Not everyone may be experiencing the issue, but I am back at a 0.07W drain rate on my PB with hotmail removed and wifi on. Just a heads up for anyone else scratching their heads with this lately.

EDIT: Here's is a reference to another Crackberry thread on with the same issue:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...otmail-737754/

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using CrackBerry Forums App/Tapatalk
    Last edited by apengue1; 07-30-12 at 09:14 PM.
    louzer and MikeInParadise like this.
    07-30-12 08:29 PM
    And to reference a thread where I referenced this one

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...otmail-737754/
    louzer likes this.
    07-30-12 08:59 PM
    Thank you, F2.

I edited my original post to reference the other thread as well.

Last edited by apengue1; 07-30-12 at 09:12 PM.
    07-30-12 09:09 PM
    I am going to try adding some of my HM accounts to my G3 to see if anything happens.
    louzer likes this.
    07-30-12 09:13 PM
    Thanks that would be cool

07-30-12 09:15 PM
    I added and sync'd four accounts. I set the retrieval for 5 minute marks. Will see how it goes.
    louzer likes this.
    07-30-12 09:55 PM
    Stupid question alert!

Where on the PB do you set the retrieval timing? I clicked around but can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance.

I can see 'messages sync timeframe' but my 'sync Interval' is greyed out.
    07-31-12 08:20 AM
    Stupid question alert!

Where on the PB do you set the retrieval timing? I clicked around but can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance.

I can see 'messages sync timeframe' but my 'sync Interval' is greyed out.
    I don't think you can set a beginning time. You can set the interval but I don't think you can say "Start collecting at 2pm" and have whatever interval run from that point.

I would also like to know how to turn it off. I'm not sure if there's a way to say "Do NOT check mail" as I'm heading to Canada and I don't want it using my 3g bb phone connection without my approving it. Data now costs too much when roaming. I will only want connections via wifi with some rare exceptions.
    07-31-12 08:41 AM
    I have come across a very helpful post by j-l-c on the support forums over at blackberry.com which may help you out. All credit goes to him because he's spent a lot of time troubleshooting things. I am in the midst of trying this all out myself and am not 100% sure yet if everything works because I deleted my Hotmail account and am having to go through a seperate procedure to get it back installed on my Playbook (see item #2 below)

Item #1: j-l-c's reply

j-l-c wrote:

I suspect the Hotmail standard push is draining the battery because the PlayBook appears to pull continuously when push is not supported. I have been investigating why my broadband usage had dramatically increased. The extra usage was uploads rather than downloads. My upload usage was about 1Mbytes every minute (over 20Gbytes a month). I traced this upload activity to my PlayBook (OS version 2.0.1.668). I noticed that the standard Hotmail account settings did not offer a sync interval. However under Advanced Settings there is a Push option that defaults to ON. Below the Push option there is a greyed out Sync Interval setting. By setting Push to OFF the sync interval can be set. By setting the sync interval to 15 minutes the upload usage became insignificant. This suggests that the PlayBook is continuously pulling Hotmail when Push is set to ON. Is there any justification for pulling many times a second when push is not supported? Is there any justification for hiding these controls under Advanced Settings?

Original thread where others are discussing the Hotmail issue:

Re: Battery draining quickly - what is "normal"? - Page 2 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Item #2: Trouble adding back your Hotmail account on the PlayBook after you delete it.

KB32048-When Integrating Hotmail through Simple Integration on the BlackBerry PlayBook the following appears "Account Hotmail - <username>@hotmail.com failed testing with current settings" FYI, snt-m.hotmail.com worked for me (of course, it's the last one in the list...)

Anyhow, this may help you out. Please post your findings back here so I can update the Blackberry support forum thread. Thank you.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 10-02-12 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Added a bit about snt-m.hotmail.com
    10-02-12 08:01 PM
    Log in from a browser, look at the addy bar it will have the xxx you need to put in front of xxx-m.hotmail.com
    10-02-12 08:42 PM
    And don't forget that hotmail can be converted to the Outlook(dot)com.

I'm not sure if they are fazing out the hotmail, or if it's just an options to move your stuff to Live Outlook.
    10-02-12 08:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD