I have a 64Gb Playbook that has been a true workhorse and a great device for me. I have, for close to a year, always left wifi on with bluetooth and bridge always enabled. I leave it in Showcase mode and have always gotten superior battery life out of my device. I've been able to unplug it in the morning and then, even late at night have >30% battery left.

I run Pete's Battery Guru app and noticed that starting two days ago, my Playbook battery is on a continual drain curve. I first noticed the drain after firing up the Slacker app and listening to music for about an hour. I was surprised to hear the battery-low beep and checked to see that the battery was at 9%. Before starting Slacker, I was at around 50%. The other change that I made was adding one additional mail account that I ended up deleting right away (since POP accounts can't sync calendar and contacts).

In Battery Guru, I notice that power consumption (the black line) does not drop down to near-zero when idle like it always used to. I've turned wifi and bluetooth off and have changed from Showcase to Default mode and still see the same drop in battery.

The other thing that I noticed is that the back of my Playbook becomes warmer than usual when connected to wifi. Aside from using Slacker once and adding/deleting a mail account, nothing else has changed.

I've tried doing a hard reboot of the Playbook as well as my phone. I've disconnected and re-paired the bridge. Before I resort to a complete backup (>40Gb), wipe, reinstall, and restore, I wanted to check to see if anyone has any insight.
    07-30-12 11:41 AM
    you should install a android task killer to see if there's any android app running in the background. Most draining batterry issues I saw were caused by the android apps in the background.
    07-30-12 12:10 PM
    Hmmm. Well, some of us THINK that the native email, especially if set to MANUAL can cause battery drain. I know using the Browser causes more battery drain than doing some other pb activities. I have never used Slacker, so I would start by UNinstalling or "UNusing" it if possible.

My 32gig which has been replaced by rim always lost more power in standby than I thought appropriate and once I got a 64, I would compare and the battery drain on standby with other things being equal was bad on the 32. But that 32 was always that way and did not suddenly develop that symptom.

I should probably not admit this but in the main, I've never really looked at the black line in the Guru graph!
    07-30-12 12:19 PM
    I noticed too this kind if issue when you have meetings/appoitments in your calandar: sometimes the PB just stay with the screen turned on, with the reminder on the top left corner, and never go blank which drain the battery...
    07-30-12 12:21 PM
    you should install a android task killer to see if there's any android app running in the background. Most draining batterry issues I saw were caused by the android apps in the background.
    I'm not running any Android apps but assume that a hard reboot would clear it out if I was.

Hmmm. Well, some of us THINK that the native email, especially if set to MANUAL can cause battery drain. I know using the Browser causes more battery drain than doing some other pb activities. I have never used Slacker, so I would start by UNinstalling or "UNusing" it if possible.
    I've been running the native email client since it arrived in 2.0. Messages trickle into the account on a regular basis and it had not previously caused these problems.

I hadn't used Slacker in months but I believe that there was an app update fairly recently (more recently than since the last time I used it). I'm going to try uninstalling it to see if that helps.

I noticed too this kind if issue when you have meetings/appoitments in your calandar: sometimes the PB just stay with the screen turned on, with the reminder on the top left corner, and never go blank which drain the battery...
    I only use the native email and not calendar or contacts. It's been working fine all along without causing battery issues. If I was suddenly seeing the screen staying on like you mention, I'd look into it more.

Like I said, the only two things that I've done between having great battery life and my current problem is adding/deleting an email account, and running (not installing) Slacker. I ran the update a while back, but actually used the updated version for the first time right around the same time as my battery problems started.

I'll follow up after uninstalling Slacker.
    07-30-12 12:41 PM
    I isolated the issue to a problem with the Playbook email client connecting to Hotmail. After deleting my Hotmail account, battery drain stopped, but I could no longer add back my Hotmail account.

I've created a new topic in General Discussion not knowing if it's a Playbook problem, Hotmail problem, or RIM's backend experiencing a compatability issue with Hotmail.

The new thread is:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...otmail-737754/
    Blu-Bear likes this.
    07-30-12 03:06 PM
    Since it appears to be associated with Hotmail, could it be due to the fact that Microsoft is changing everyone over from hotmail to an online Outlook account.
    07-31-12 06:58 PM
    The conversion has not started yet. Right now, Outlook.com is in Preview mode. Users can convert to the new version on a trial basis. The option to convert back to Hotmail is also available. Regardless, I've been having the same problem and it started on 7/29 before the Outlook.com announcement was made.

I've noticed the Playbook increase in warmth even when no programs are running in the background. I don't have a Wifi signal at work, so I turn it off. The only thing running is Bridge and Bluetooth.

I doubt Hotmail is the cause of the battery drain.
    08-01-12 11:06 AM
    Hello, I've been experiencing the same issue for the last few days. Do you have Words With Friends installed by any chance? I also have an associated Hotmail account so that seems to support that theory.
    08-03-12 01:35 AM
    I had the same problem...recently noticed that using the oem charger instead of rapid charging pod fixed it for me...I was wondering if that might be the case with you as well or is it something else that fixed it....It did get fixed after the new update for me...so...just wondering if that had something to do with it???
    08-03-12 05:34 AM
    I seem to be having the same problem with battery life. Did a three finger reboot and will monitor for the rest of the day at work.
    08-03-12 07:59 AM
    Had the same problem recently....massive, excessive battery drain never experienced before. After several days of experimenting with various apps & several hard reboots (to no avail), I finally decided to do a full security wipe yesterday. Instead of doing a backup restore after the wipe, I manually set everything back up - pics, e-mail accounts, reloaded apps, etc. - and my PlayBook is back operating as normal. Have had it off the charger since 5:30 AM & as of 6:15 PM (about 13 hours), I'm still at 84% - several hours of Slacker radio, multiple e-mails, browsing AppWorld, etc. Back to being happy now
    08-03-12 06:15 PM
    I isolated the issue to a problem with the Playbook email client connecting to Hotmail. After deleting my Hotmail account, battery drain stopped, but I could no longer add back my Hotmail account.

I've created a new topic in General Discussion not knowing if it's a Playbook problem, Hotmail problem, or RIM's backend experiencing a compatability issue with Hotmail.

The new thread is:
    Thanks a lot, Louzer. I had the same issue. Removing my hotmail account solved the issue.
    08-04-12 08:38 AM
    Reading the posts in this thread made me feel a little better. I was concerned that my Playbook might be having a terminal battery event.

It seems that my drain coincided with the installation of KIK Messenger (Android sideload). After the download, I received notifications over 2-3 days that my battery was at 9% charge. These were entirely unexpected and out of the ordinary. As well, my battery health dropped from 90% to 81% (Battery Guru).

I have uninstalled KIK and things improved. It didn't go back to normal. Last evening while using the Playbook over a couple of hours, I noticed my device getting warm to the touch. I now have to turn the Wifi off and go into standby mode to stop the drain (the drain is much slower than with KIK).

Tell me about the Android Task Killer and how I can get it.

I would also appreciate any further help from those who been through these issues and got things back on the rails.
    08-04-12 09:06 AM
    I have had the same issue lately, but Mine is fully charged a night and dead in the morning ever since video store came to Canada. I haven't even used it yet, open and browsed but not purchased anything. I downloaded battery Guru yesterday after doing a few hard resets. My battery is health was 99 yesterday and is 98 today. While in standby I run close to 2.0 watts, I think it supposed to be around 0.05 watts. Unplugged from full charge about 15 min ago and am at 91%battery life. I love my playbook, but this is making things difficult. The funny thing is I just bought rim stock.
    peter9477 likes this.
    08-04-12 09:54 AM
    I downloaded battery Guru yesterday after doing a few hard resets. My battery is health was 99 yesterday and is 98 today. While in standby I run close to 2.0 watts, I think it supposed to be around 0.05 watts. Unplugged from full charge about 15 min ago and am at 91%battery life.
    Ignore minor and temporary changes in battery health, as it's an OS-provided estimate which changes infrequently and means fairly little other than as a gauge of changes in capacity over the long term (e.g. months). Also new units have inaccurate health readings, so if you have fewer than 20-40 recharge counts, don't assume the number is meaningful.

Standby should be under 0.1W for sure, and 2W is extreme. Are you measuring that by putting it in standby and leaving it for more than about four minutes, then swiping it back on and checking the Battery Guru display? The OS updates the readings only every two minutes, and they may be (nobody knows for sure) averages over the last reading period, so being in standby less than 4 minutes (two readings) may give bad results.

If you are sure it's really 2W, check again after disabling all radios (WiFi, Bluetooth). Then again after a fresh reboot without having run other apps aside from Battery Guru. Once you've figured out a baseline that way, then you'll be in a position to pinpoint the actual cause of the excessive drain.

Note that numerous native apps do not properly sleep while the PB is in standby, so make sure you don't have other, questionable, apps running while you do these tests.
    jafobabe likes this.
    08-04-12 11:20 AM
    I have had the same issue lately, but Mine is fully charged a night and dead in the morning ever since video store came to Canada. I haven't even used it yet, open and browsed but not purchased anything. I downloaded battery Guru yesterday after doing a few hard resets. My battery is health was 99 yesterday and is 98 today. While in standby I run close to 2.0 watts, I think it supposed to be around 0.05 watts. Unplugged from full charge about 15 min ago and am at 91%battery life. I love my playbook, but this is making things difficult. The funny thing is I just bought rim stock.
    Follow up on my previous post:

After leaving my last post, I continued to have my battery drained when I left the Wifi connection connected. In a little over 1 1/2 hours, my battery went from 100% to 87% (Battery Guru) with no usage, on standby with only Wifi connected. That stopped when I disconnected Wifi. At the suggestion of the quoted post, I also uninstalled the BB Video App.

I then used the Playbook for over 2 1/2 hours and just before I wrote this post, the power registered 55% on Battery Guru. What was interesting, was the battery health jumped back to 90%.

Again, any explanations?
    08-04-12 10:15 PM
    I'm trying to relocate the thread that says holding down the power button for 20 secods and plug in the charger before releasing it, there's more to the instruction. I'm observing my pb now, it seems to be working. I see no obvious drainage. Also I tried shutting off instead of standby as well as airplane mode. Both work as well. If someone can relocate the thread of that instruction , perhaps more people will try that and we'll know it'll fix the drainage problem.
    08-05-12 03:40 PM

The new thread is:
    Hi there, nice investigative work. Deleting my Hotmail account and re-adding it fixed the problem for me as well. Thanks!
    08-06-12 01:41 AM
    Found this thread online searching for solution to my rapid battery drain in standby after upgrading to software .668 (now withdrawn I learn from CB forum). Deleting hotmail account fixed the problem for me, so glad I landed here. Thanks for sharing would never have worked that out.
    08-09-12 05:51 PM
    add me to the list here guys. i deleted the account and the battery seems to be fine now. i'll try adding back the account under a different server name later. pretty weird.
    08-10-12 09:06 AM
    I'm experiencing the same battery draining problem, after upgrading to .668. But I don't have a hotmail account, only a Gmail one, set to "Push". This upgrade ruined my battery, if I browse the Internet for 10 minutes I lose about 3-4% of battery. I can't understand how RIM did a such stupid thing. They should control updates before releasing them (this .668 was retired for an important Flash Player bug...). Now, lots of people said that an hard reset can help this: I don't understand how to do it, even if I don't hear the click rumor of a screenshot, even if the screen instantly turn black, and holding the three buttons for 15 seconds, it doesn't reset. Maybe it can be an OT, but can someone help me?
    However, before this update I was very satisfied with my PlayBook's battery. Thanks in advance to all.

Update: ok, I have done the hard reset, now I will see if something changes.
    Last edited by Power Mac; 09-10-12 at 07:38 AM.
    09-10-12 04:25 AM
    It happen again, I started this thread because the battery draining fast. after I deleted Hotmail account it seems better. but I noticed it draining more quick now,
    I got fully charged last night with WiFi off, I just checked the battery only 50% now.
    I did hard reset last night. I have 2 google accounts and a company account IMAP.
    should I delete all the email accounts ?
    09-11-12 08:41 AM
    Turning off Push (email accounts, advanced setting) and selecting Manual causes my Playbook to consume 1.3W in standby with wifi on.

Turning Push back on or choosing a 24h Sync Interval fixes.

This is probably a OS bug that RIM should be investigating.
    09-11-12 10:29 PM
    Had the same issue and also Hotmail related.

Deleted the hotmail account fixed the battery drain.
    09-13-12 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD