This isn't the best solution, but it is better than what we had before today. Barnes and Noble released Nook-for-web which is a web-based Nook reader. This works on the PlayBook browser, but you need internet access for it to work.

NOOK� for Web - Barnes & Noble

It would be nice if someone made this website a stand alone web app without the address bar.

On a slight side note, this site does not work on iOS devices and I haven't tested it on Android yet. This just shows a little extra versitality of the PB browser over some of the competition.
    snickdog likes this.
    07-17-12 09:43 AM
    This isn't the best solution, but it is better than what we had before today. Barnes and Noble released Nook-for-web which is a web-based Nook reader. This works on the PlayBook browser, but you need internet access for it to work.

NOOK� for Web - Barnes&Noble

It would be nice if someone made this website a stand alone web app without the address bar.

On a slight side note, this site does not work on iOS devices and I haven't tested it on Android yet. This just shows a little extra versitality of the PB browser over some of the competition.
    Having to have an internet connection kills it for me.
    07-17-12 09:46 AM
    With the pb and a bb you always have Internet unless you're somewhere your phone doesn't work.
    07-17-12 09:54 AM
    This is awesome -- just the thing for when the battery dies on the Nook!
    07-17-12 11:08 AM
    With the pb and a bb you always have Internet unless you're somewhere your phone doesn't work.
    I am quite often in locations where there is no Phone or Internet connection available. Too many apps for the playbook seem to think everyone is always connected. I have yet to find a large area in which the advertised promise of Edge/GPRS/3G/4G etc, and even WiFi hot spots give me any sort of connectivity for any length of time or in an area where I usually need it.

Lot of effort and apparent money are being put into games for this system, but in my opinion next to nothing in stand alone productivity apps that one can use when not connected. Everything is cloud connected. Well next week I am traveling to a customer site, where there will be no connectivity at all for my devices due to security reasons. This particular tablet platform doesn't provide me with an adequate set of productivity tools that would enable me to leave my laptop behind. I think Windows 8 Phone and tablets are ultimately what I am going to be heading towards unless the developers for RIM start releasing some truly remarkable replacements for Docs to go, the junk Adobe Reader, and on device GPS materials.
    07-17-12 06:37 PM
    Understandable. We all have different needs.
    07-17-12 06:49 PM
    Nook for Web - so that means I still have to bring my nook to read on a flight. If I just bring my PB, I have to go to my Kobo library.

But managing 2 libraries is tough. I am using the Kobo library for free and international content; the nook for mass produced US content.
    07-17-12 09:12 PM
    Has anyone tried to sideload the nook app for android?
    07-18-12 12:25 AM
    I tried this last night. while the browser does connect to B&N site, clicking on any book only brings up the "Nook for Web" splash screen. Is there another step to take to actually read a book?
    07-18-12 10:23 AM
    I tried this last night. while the browser does connect to B&N site, clicking on any book only brings up the "Nook for Web" splash screen. Is there another step to take to actually read a book?
    I don't know, I don't have my PlayBook to explain the steps right now. All I know is that I was reading a book that I had purchased a while ago on the Nook for Web site. Sorry I can't help more, but I know it can be done.
    07-18-12 12:12 PM
    I'm at the same spot, "Nook for Web" splash screen. Kobo freezes for me all the time, and OverDrive does too. I'd love for this new Nook to work!
    07-21-12 06:44 AM
    This is a step forward for us Nook owners. I'll only use this if there is a book I want with graphic content that I can't view on my Nook. An ereader is just so much better than an LCD screen for basic reading.

Nice that the free titles offered when you sign up transfer into your Nook library.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    07-21-12 09:03 AM
    Thanks, I was able to log on and access my books.

But on another note, every so often I go to Nook's twitter page, help pages, and forums and request an app for the Playbook. If everyone would do that, eventually they will give in and release one. This web reader is proof that they want to open up to other venues.

Persistance is the key. Help me pester the mess out of them until they give us an app.

Thanks
    08-25-12 10:26 AM
    If it works like the amazon web reader, you only need web access when you first open it. The whole book is downloaded temporarily (until you close the web page). So if you open the web page and load your book, you do not need web access to read it. Just don't close that web page while you're out and about.
    08-25-12 03:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD