The CPU isn't emulated on Playbook (though it is on Windows). It works very similarly to how WINE works to run Windows applications on Linux. The app binary is mapped into memory and imports are resolved to point to my own implementation of the various APIs needed. iOS actually uses a few open APIs already, which Playbook supports just as well (GL ES, and OpenAL). The bulk of the work has been in implementing all of the objective C classes that are required. The ARM code of the applications run as-is - the armv6/v7 support on PB/iDevices are pretty much identical, and the code is designed to run in USR mode. No SWIs, GPIO accesses or any of that kind of shenanigans.
    This seems very hard to believe. We're not talking here just about implementing some trivial Objective-C classes that are missing. The underlying iOS frameworks are heavy duty - we're talking about the implementation of tens to hundreds of thousands of lines of code.

Just recently everyone in the hacker community was amazed at the scope of magenta (Somewhere in the middle ...) which doesn't even claim to do a tenth of what you purport to have done (yet, though...the author is working to implement CoreGraphics, UiKit, etc...to support iPhone OS 1.0).

For the scope of the claimed work, a YouTube video just isn't credible...not even close...you pretty much have to be either:
    (a) a proven/demonstrated real-life wizard; or
    (b) provide detailed sources/code repo/technical details, etc.
    Bla1ze, mikeo007 and emosquito like this.
    06-10-12 05:05 PM
    How could independent developers do a better job than Apple? Easy. It's why the iPhone is what it is today. Originally, Apple wanted all "apps" to be browser-based. That's why the original jailbreak was looked for and found. Apple fought these apps for a while before realizing what they had missed and started embracing it...
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    06-10-12 05:17 PM
    This is not impossible to achieve however more proof is required... at the very least some reputable devs on here personally testing it.

If it IS real then I would suggest releasing it for free and making as deal with an IOS third party app store for a percentage of the profits for selling ios apps to blackberry devices or start a kickstarter campagin to launch a company to market it.
    06-10-12 05:30 PM
    Assumption: this is a real piece of code (I know some CB users are a little sceptical...)

OP, not sure which country you are based in, but university law departments love doing the research re: the legalities of something like this

My recommendation, if you live in a big city (or visit regularly) is to find out which local university has an International Law degree, and go along to one of their free advice sessions. If you can't find details of when to go along, just phone up the relevant department, find out who to contact and email them a praecis of what you have done, with the accompanying question of whether your code is legal (to sell, distribute as freeware, etc, etc)

Bad timing - unfortunately most UK universities are now going on holiday for the summer - not sure about the ones wherever you live, but if you need info re: relevant UK Universities, then PM me

Good luck with your project - very impressive

(How do I know about the university legal research stuff? I do ad hoc voluntary work at London's largest Free Legal Advice Centre, and a lot of the paralegals/helpers are people currently doing their bachelors/masters in law)
    06-10-12 06:10 PM
    Did Intel not license x86? I recall back in my OCing days that intel and AMD processors were very different with the first Athlons, and the first Pentium 4's

but only when writing low level code did you need to really care, 99% if not more apps for iOS are not written calling any specific action of a processor,
    Why would intel license something they created?

Also, the x86 architecture is mostly open. Any advanced technologies would have to be licensed through intel.
    gregorylkelly likes this.
    06-10-12 07:06 PM
    Why would intel license something they created?

Also, the x86 architecture is mostly open. Any advanced technologies would have to be licensed through intel.
    He meant licence it out.

On topic: Those are cool videos, but my guess is that if this is real, it's only gonna work for games. But that's cool
    06-10-12 07:45 PM
    Nope, don't believe it. Brand new Youtube channel, 2 videos.... no major history of development etc.
    06-10-12 08:17 PM
    Dear RIM, if this is legit you need to hire this guy and figure out how this could legally be implemented!
    06-10-12 08:25 PM
    if i'm correctly making assumptions then he didn't use any real apple code just created a sort of VM like the android app player currently implemented in the Pb OS. therefore i don't think even if apple wanted to they could do anything about it kind of like when dos was first emulated into windows. answering someones question earlier on there is no way apple will ever let blackberry tab into the app store its just not going to happen so that leaves you to finding your own .ipa files now i know for sure something that you have to pay for in app store getting it for free on the internet is 100% illegal however if that apply's to a game you already own for your ios device or something offered for free i'm not sure

plzz find someway to release this it would be amazing!!!!!!!

P.S. im sure i if you found someway (assuming blackberry hasn't hired you) i would be the first and most certainly not the last to donate

BTW did you build this from scratch or was someone else working on this and you picked it up cuz i swear i heard or saw this somewhere not too long ago just curious?
    Last edited by dosboxwasthestuff; 06-10-12 at 10:30 PM.
    06-10-12 10:24 PM
    I don't see a legal way to get the apps themselves on it.
    06-10-12 10:36 PM
    I'm not going to lie, I find the whole concept of cracking the close iOS app ecosystem extremely tempting, especially for the apoplectic fit Apple and iHards will have.

But I doubt it'll ever see the light of day. And to be fair to the app developers and their hard work, this would surly them off too.
    06-10-12 11:54 PM
    If i were you id do my research and find some sound legal advice from a lawyer in the field and then see what your options are. I don't know what is patented by whom and what can and cannot be used, neither do you at the moment. Then go to rim with it and try to get paid this is too huge not to go the distance with, who knows what rim could legally do with this, assuming its real. They can maybe streamline devs ability to bring more apps into the blackberry 10 fold.
    RIM couldn't find their own a$$ with both hands and a flashlight. How could they possibly exploit this?
    06-11-12 12:08 AM
    haha omg! hahaahaha this is so funny.. finally apple is going to dissolve in their own s.........
    06-11-12 12:23 AM
    If this is real, its good news for BlackBerry.
    06-11-12 01:26 AM
    Did I get a "no-no-no noooooway" a few weeks ago with this ?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...bility-722205/

I mean this guy might not be that alone on this project ...
    Yet, it's hard to believe ... but I love miracles.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-11-12 at 10:06 AM.
    06-11-12 03:50 AM
    IF this App is real and working just please DO NOT give it to RIM. I'm pretty sure the first thing they would try to do is having users to convert .ipa-files similar to the .apk conversion to prevent sideloading if not completely shutting that possibility down. What comes after this is the total dependency on Blackberry App World and who knows if Apple developers will bring their Apps to this.
    Maybe I'm painting a bad picture of RIM but I'm just afraid this 'AWESOME IF REAL'-App could take a huge blow in their hands.
    Long first post of mine but this topic really got me interested.

BTW Hello Crackberry Community
    06-11-12 03:50 AM
    This is really hard to believe.
    06-11-12 04:14 AM
    RIM couldn't find their own a$$ with both hands and a flashlight. How could they possibly exploit this?
    With you genius and brilliant help ?
    diegonei and ardpieter like this.
    06-11-12 04:26 AM
    If this is real, its good news for BlackBerry.
    Hey . . . may be . . . I am waiting
    06-11-12 04:57 AM
    06-11-12 06:22 AM
    if I am the CEO of RIM I confirm will hired this guy
    06-11-12 06:32 AM
    release it and just go into hiding. dont worry you will have help from many friends ,should you need to go on the lam!!
    06-11-12 08:58 AM
    Something else I thought of: iOS uses a different resolution than the playbook. How do you get the apps to play nice on a 16:9 screen?
    06-11-12 09:09 AM
    Something else I thought of: iOS uses a different resolution than the playbook. How do you get the apps to play nice on a 16:9 screen?
    The different ipads and iphones have different resolutions so I think we'll be OK.
    06-11-12 09:15 AM
    I'm undone. Yes
    I can't wait to try this out if/when you decided to release. This is great to see and thank you for your hard work in bringing this functionality to PlayBook! I know a lot of typical iFans that think their platform is the be all to end all and I'd love to blow them away by showing off that my PlayBook, and soon to be BB10 phone, can run BB apps, android apps, and even iOS apps. BB ftw!

That being said, as you admit to being the developer, and you made this thread, I must ask, why did you choose the title 'Real or Fake? iOS apps running on PlayBook!' I don't understand your reasoning to start a thread questioning the validity of your own work instead of something more like, 'Proof of concept: watch me run iOS apps on my PlayBook!'
    Knightcrawler and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-11-12 09:20 AM
385 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD