Ive been with this company for 4 years. shortly after I began employment the owner/boss gave me a company phone and asked that I use this phone for business and personal use exclusively. soon after I ditched my own personal phone and accepted the company phone as a job benefit. downside lis 24/7 on-call. haven't yet had a uninterrupted vacation.

the last 2 phones were both given to me NIB the most recent was already activated and functioning when I received it. myself and the other coworker sharing my position have come to the conclusion that the office has somehow been reading our txt messages and rumors of this with other employees also. I'm obligated to always have this phone on me as you can imagine there have been personal/NON business text messages that the company need not read....
    If I want to go the titty bar on a Saturday the gps is logging that location...

Question:
    i want to wipe this phone and SIM card and start over.
    Will the simcard still function if wiped?
    will any of that even help or is att snagging all the data remotely?

blackberry torch 9800 on the ATT network

thankyou!
    03-04-12 11:53 AM
    Others here will have to confirm, but as I understand it, if the phone is attached to a BES/BESx policy, your employer can technically log all of your activity. Incoming and outgoing phone numbers, call durations, emails, SMS, and of course BBM messages. And because it's a company phone, it's your employer's right to be able to do so. Now if there's no proof that he/she told you to use it for for personal use as well, then they could one day produce a huge log of your personal use of company equipment and fire you on the spot. Perhaps I'm wrong there as well, I'm not a lawyer.

If I were you, and had this much doubt, I'd get a separate phone for personal use. You may be obligated to carry the work phone because you're on call 24/7, but your boss can't force you to use the company phone in exclusion of your own for personal use.
    03-04-12 12:10 PM
    That's the reason I rock two devices. I like my privacy. Employer can't order you to use a company phone for personal use. That alone sounds fishy.

SIM card will still function after a wipe.
    03-04-12 12:13 PM
    I think you'll find that it depends on which country you live and work in. I'm pretty sure laws in Europe don't allow for a company to monitor things this deeply. In fact I'm sure you could take the company to court and win easily if they use this type of information to fire you.

Si.
    03-04-12 12:28 PM
    Others here will have to confirm, but as I understand it, if the phone is attached to a BES/BESx policy, your employer can technically log all of your activity. Incoming and outgoing phone numbers, call durations, emails, SMS, and of course BBM messages. And because it's a company phone, it's your employer's right to be able to do so. Now if there's no proof that he/she told you to use it for for personal use as well, then they could one day produce a huge log of your personal use of company equipment and fire you on the spot. Perhaps I'm wrong there as well, I'm not a lawyer.

If I were you, and had this much doubt, I'd get a separate phone for personal use. You may be obligated to carry the work phone because you're on call 24/7, but your boss can't force you to use the company phone in exclusion of your own for personal use.
    well this is Wisconsin, he could fire me on the spot any day for no reason at all. I originally ditched my personal phone because I didn't like the idea of carrying 2 phones and He declined the option to forward the oncall # to my personal cell, but now I think two phones might be the beat option. is there way I could confirm this BES/BESx is in use?
    Sunshineklow1224 likes this.
    03-04-12 12:28 PM
    The employer can monitor anything they want to if a person chooses to use a company provided device for personal uses.

If you are on a BES. read this for more information. What does BES see; what can be tracked/logged? - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection
    03-04-12 12:53 PM
    Ive been with this company for 4 years. shortly after I began employment the owner/boss gave me a company phone and asked that I use this phone for business and personal use exclusively. soon after I ditched my own personal phone and accepted the company phone as a job benefit. downside lis 24/7 on-call. haven't yet had a uninterrupted vacation.

the last 2 phones were both given to me NIB the most recent was already activated and functioning when I received it. myself and the other coworker sharing my position have come to the conclusion that the office has somehow been reading our txt messages and rumors of this with other employees also. I'm obligated to always have this phone on me as you can imagine there have been personal/NON business text messages that the company need not read....
    If I want to go the titty bar on a Saturday the gps is logging that location...

Question:
    i want to wipe this phone and SIM card and start over.
    Will the simcard still function if wiped?
    will any of that even help or is att snagging all the data remotely?

blackberry torch 9800 on the ATT network

thankyou!
    Get. Your. Own. Personal. Device.

I'm going to blunt on this.

You're an imbecile if you use a corporate phone for personal use. Seriously.
    Whatever you send, they will record it.

And it will be justified if he fires you for sending texts that contain sexually explicit content.

It's a company phone, not yours. Use it for business use only.
    Last edited by Joshua_X; 03-04-12 at 04:54 PM.
    rrrebo and kevinnugent like this.
    03-04-12 04:49 PM
    What has happened to make you suspect he's monitoring you? Has he said something that would lead you to believe it? Definitely do as others have suggested and get a personal BlackBerry. And phone or no phone, enjoy the titty bar. Who cares if your boss doesn't like it?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-04-12 05:08 PM
    Get. Your. Own. Personal. Device.

I'm going to blunt on this.

You're an imbecile if you use a corporate phone for personal use. Seriously.
    Whatever you send, they will record it.

And it will be justified if he fires you for sending texts that contain sexually explicit content.

It's a company phone, not yours. Use it for business use only.
    first off, "corporate" just sounds overinflated. its 5 people including the owner in the office. and a select few who share my position.
    secondly the guy who signs my paychecks requested I use this phone so if following orders makes me a imbecile than I'm proud of it.

and finally I never discussed sexual txt messages, which wouldn't bother him a bit. I just had privacy concerns and lack of blackberry features..I really miss my nokia
    03-04-12 05:13 PM
    For the gps thing can you turn it off when on a BES?
    03-04-12 05:22 PM
    What has happened to make you suspect he's monitoring you? Has he said something that would lead you to believe it? Definitely do as others have suggested and get a personal BlackBerry. And phone or no phone, enjoy the titty bar. Who cares if your boss doesn't like it?
    well other than the recent company rumors which I usually ignore, the boss has been one step ahead of us regarding things shared in a txt ..this is a guy that is usually a month behind in everything. so we set him up with a text (to each-other) regarding a made up repair issue, later that day he questioned if we were able to fix the XXX device....odd it was never broke
    03-04-12 06:20 PM
    Ha! Busted, lol!
    03-04-12 06:29 PM
    For the gps thing can you turn it off when on a BES?
    Typically, the IT Policy (if there is one) will prevent the user from disabling the GPS.
    03-04-12 06:40 PM
    ... I just had privacy concerns and lack of blackberry features..I really miss my nokia
    Use a personal device for personal communications. Problem solved.
    03-04-12 06:42 PM
    Use a personal device for personal communications. Problem solved.
    right, got that,thanks,super.
    03-04-12 08:49 PM
    ok, YES, I understand keep personal on personal devices.

keep in mind 4 years ago was when the boss incised I
    "use this phone for personal AND company use and consider it a job benefit" so I did.
    I figured 2 cell phones, a DMM, paperwork, and tools was more than enough to carry around so I ditched the personal phone, right? I don't imagine bb enterprise was even around in 2008??
    03-04-12 09:04 PM
    Ummm ... "bb enterprise" was around long before BIS. So yes, it "was even around" in 2008.

In a company with only 5 employees, however, you may not be on a BES. And in that case, there's no way for the employer to "eavesdrop" on your cell phone.

It's still advisable to not use a company device for personal communications whether it's a phone, a computer, or something else. And if you choose to do so, understand that you have NO expectation of privacy in those communications.
    03-05-12 05:59 AM
    I really don't have advice to offer but I'm curious as to why on earth would anyone use their company phone as their business/personal line. I would have assumed something was up when that was suggested
    03-05-12 06:24 PM
    To answer Propa's question, I had a company phone for several years as my "personal" phone. My employer (at the time) said they didn't care about personal use as long as we stayed within the limits of our plan (which was pretty much unlimited). I had no reason to question that.

I was layed off 2 years ago and lost my company plan. I went with my own plan. A year later I got a job with a company that once again provided me with a cell phone with generous limits. I decide to retain my personal phone out of convenience and sense of "ownership" of the number and account. I still have no reason to think my employer is actively monitoring my usage outside of our plan.
    03-05-12 06:48 PM
    I was looking for a way to stop the eavesdropping, now understanding more about the BB service I see this is impossible.

I purchased a personal Nokia today.

on the other hand I do feel that in this situation with the "job benefit" of a personal/business the boss gave me he should have made me aware of the tracking.
    I didn't, don't, and wont keep up to date on BB services, features, and plans and had no clue this type of tracking was even possible. the BB OS reminds me of windows vista...at best
    Last edited by razer_deathadder; 03-05-12 at 09:24 PM.
    03-05-12 09:16 PM
    It's not eavesdropping. The employer owns the device and pays for the service. You have no expectation of privacy on the device thus there can be no eavesdropping.

Good luck with your Nokia.
    03-05-12 09:25 PM
    It's not eavesdropping. The employer owns the device and pays for the service. You have no expectation of privacy on the device thus there can be no eavesdropping.

Good luck with your Nokia.
    ok then, the boss also owns a couple motels, and I have stayed in them for free while out of town for service work for his main business.

going off of your theory, it would be ok for him to have a camera and mic in the motel room and watch me sleep "The employer owns the device and pays for the service"
    03-05-12 09:33 PM
    ok then, the boss also owns a couple motels, and I have stayed in them for free while out of town for service work for his main business.

going off of your theory, it would be ok for him to have a camera and mic in the motel room and watch me sleep "The employer owns the device and pays for the service"
    Actually, it probably would. If he were providing the space to you for free. It would depend on the privacy laws in your state.
    03-05-12 09:40 PM
    Midget in the closet with a video camera?
    03-05-12 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD