Yesterday @BlackBerry tweeted about keeping your OS current and explained how to do it. I did what it said and nothing happened. 7.1 is obviously ready and there's a dedicated page for it on their website. There's even a little section that says "upgrade you BB OS 7 device now!" I tried upgrading form the device. Nothing. I tried upgrading through Desktop software (as the BB website said that all I have to do is plug in my device, open up Desktop software and it will prompt me to download the new software... which it, of course, did not!) But why is it so hard to upgrade!!

I know on Crackberry there are often posts of leaked this and leaked that, and the one provider is some other country has an available upgrade. Why? Why is it so ridiculously complicated to make a new OS available to users who have decided to go with Blackberry over iPhone even when everyone was dumping on BB.

From what I gather, it seems that the upgrades are carrier dependant. If so, why are the upgrades carrier dependant. This seems like giving control of a vital component of your device over to a company that really doesn't care about it. (when I went in to purchase my BB the salesman was like, "man, you want an iPhone". He was deterring me from getting a BB. I wanted a BB, and he was pushing iPhone. )

Someone please explain this to me.

FYI I have a Torch 9860 on Bell network.

Also, why would they tweet about updating your OS at a time when they have a brand new OS that your phone won't even install! Talk about bringing attention to a major design flaw!
    Rooster99 likes this.
    01-31-12 12:30 PM
    Unfortunately carriers insisted that they have control over testing BB OS updates to ensure the updates didn't break any of their carrier dependent apps, and carriers don't really care if the OS is newer and better, all they care about is getting your money. It's a major flaw in RIMs control of the OS, and they desperately need to change this. You won't see other devices pushing out OS updates to improve their security like RIM does.
    01-31-12 01:05 PM
    Yesterday @BlackBerry tweeted about keeping your OS current and explained how to do it. I did what it said and nothing happened. 7.1 is obviously ready and there's a dedicated page for it on their website. There's even a little section that says "upgrade you BB OS 7 device now!" I tried upgrading form the device. Nothing. I tried upgrading through Desktop software (as the BB website said that all I have to do is plug in my device, open up Desktop software and it will prompt me to download the new software... which it, of course, did not!) But why is it so hard to upgrade!!

I know on Crackberry there are often posts of leaked this and leaked that, and the one provider is some other country has an available upgrade. Why? Why is it so ridiculously complicated to make a new OS available to users who have decided to go with Blackberry over iPhone even when everyone was dumping on BB.

From what I gather, it seems that the upgrades are carrier dependant. If so, why are the upgrades carrier dependant. This seems like giving control of a vital component of your device over to a company that really doesn't care about it. (when I went in to purchase my BB the salesman was like, "man, you want an iPhone". He was deterring me from getting a BB. I wanted a BB, and he was pushing iPhone. )

Someone please explain this to me.

FYI I have a Torch 9860 on Bell network.

Also, why would they tweet about updating your OS at a time when they have a brand new OS that your phone won't even install! Talk about bringing attention to a major design flaw!
    That's the type of question that should have been asked of the new CEO. Very valid question and commentary on the BB OS.
    Rooster99 likes this.
    01-31-12 01:08 PM
    The Blackberry probably already has the latest update. So when you go on DM it won't show any updates as you may have the latest.

Type m y v e r into an email / bbm / text without the spaces then press space. This will show your devices actual OS.

From there check with your carrier & see if their actual OS for your bb model is the same or above.
    01-31-12 01:12 PM
    I know there were rumors that BB10 would not involve carrier for software updates. Is this still the case, or has it been said for sure?
    01-31-12 02:37 PM
    I think that even the most hardcore BlackBerry fans can agree that updating your OS is just an awful experience. Carriers shouldn't be involved in OS updates. Hopefully BB10 is different.
    01-31-12 03:33 PM
    I think that even the most hardcore BlackBerry fans can agree that updating your OS is just an awful experience. Carriers shouldn't be involved in OS updates. Hopefully BB10 is different.
    I disagree with updating being an awful experience. OS updates for 7.1 have been released. There is no difference between and "official" and a "leak" other than this: the official tag means that acarrier has approved it. If a person does not want to wait for their carrier to approve the OS update, then install the leak or an official from another carrier. The updates are the same, though there is one difference when updating another carrier's official version.

Installing an OS update is really quite simple.
    1. Download the update to your computer (save it to the desktop).
    2. Install the download to your computer...just follow the prompts after double clicking on the download icon.
    3. Connect your phone to your computer via usb.
    4. On a Windows computer you click on computer>C drive>Program files>Common Files>Research in Motion>AppLoader
    5. If this is another carrier's official updtate, then you will need to scroll down to the vendor.xml file and delete it. If this is a "leak", then you do not have to do this.
    6. Find the icon that is "Loader" (it looks like an old cell phone). Double click it.
    7. AppLoader will load the new OS on your phone. It will back up your phone and your apps, and will wipe your device and then reinstall everything. Just follow the prompts.
    8. Wait patiently for your phone to reboot after everything has reloaded and the phone should be good to go.

Hope this helps. Just remember that some apps may work quite well on 7.0 but they may not work well on 7.1.
    Last edited by newcollector; 01-31-12 at 03:52 PM.
    01-31-12 03:47 PM
    I disagree with updating being an awful experience. OS updates for 7.1 have been released. There is no difference between and "official" and a "leak" other than this: the official tag means that acarrier has approved it. If a person does not want to wait for their carrier to approve the OS update, then install the leak or an official from another carrier. The updates are the same, though there is one difference when updating another carrier's official version.

2. Install the download to your computer...just follow the prompts after double clicking on the download icon.
    4. On a Windows computer you click on computer>C drive>Program files>Common Files>Research in Motion>AppLoader
    5. If this is another carrier's official updtate, then you will need to scroll down to the vendor.xml file and delete it. If this is a "leak", then you do not have to do this.
    6. Find the icon that is "Loader" (it looks like an old cell phone). Double click it.
    7. AppLoader will load the new OS on your phone. It will back up your phone and your apps, and will wipe your device and then reinstall everything. Just follow the prompts.
    8. Wait patiently for your phone to reboot after everything has reloaded and the phone should be good to go.

Hope this helps. Just remember that some apps may work quite well on 7.0 but they may not work well on 7.1.
    For people familiar with updates on other platforms that's just plain awful. When I updated to iOS 5.1 on my iPhone I simply clicked install, put it in my pocket and 5 minutes later when I pulled it out it had the new OS. On my old BlackBerry I had to go through that whole process you listed and it took about half an hour to get it up and running again. Official OS releases on BB10 should be released wirelessly at the same time regardless of the carrier.
    01-31-12 04:12 PM
    For people familiar with updates on other platforms that's just plain awful. When I updated to iOS 5.1 on my iPhone I simply clicked install, put it in my pocket and 5 minutes later when I pulled it out it had the new OS. On my old BlackBerry I had to go through that whole process you listed and it took about half an hour to get it up and running again. Official OS releases on BB10 should be released wirelessly at the same time regardless of the carrier.
    You're right, updates should be painless. I think the BB10 updates will be carrier-independent.

Although I should also say that updating my iPhone to iOS 5 was extremely painful. It took 5+ HOURS to do it. Mostly because I could not do the update on the original computer associated with my iPhone because that computer's hard drive had died. How dumb is that?
    01-31-12 04:51 PM
    That's the type of question that should have been asked of the new CEO. Very valid question and commentary on the BB OS.
    See "Stop Hugging Thorstein's Nuts" http://forums.crackberry.com/general...s-nuts-692919/

- R.
    01-31-12 06:42 PM

Did you want to perhaps also mention that if you do this then don't bother calling your carrier for support? Just a minor detail I suppose ...

And a challenge to newcollector - you try teaching my wife how to do this, ok? If you can get her to be happy at the end of it and be able to do it on her own, without help from me, then I'll buy you your next Berry. Keep in mind, she's a "typical" cell phone user. Maybe (as I've seen posted on here before) she's just not smart enough to deserve to have a Berry?

- R.
    01-31-12 06:46 PM
    The answer in a "nutshell".....is because carrier's are idiots
    01-31-12 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD