Hi guys!

I just got my new Blackberry Curve Red last Friday. I have a contract with Sprint but I've wasted almost 4 hours with them on the phone and 2 hours in store and nothing to show for it except a new phone number. I am deaf and I have a special plan selected which is Data Only with no minutes. I come in here in hope that my fellow Crackberries are able to come to my rescue.

My problem: I'm not able to access the data network. However, I am able to text other people.

Sprint's answer: My account is configured correctly. The Blackberry needs to be configured. (It's all a phone tree game up to this point)

My attempted solutions thus far: Registering the Blackberry in the Host Routing Table, Provisioning, Soft Reboot (Removing the battery for a minute), and other minor things that I felt that were just futile. I have run diagnostics, and everything says No or Unknown.

My application version is 4.3.0.127 and running platform version 3.1.0.73.

My question: Is the problem caused by the Blackberry or by Sprint? If it is caused by the Blackberry, what steps can I take to get this working?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and I hope I get replies!

Fellow Crackberrist,
    Keres
    08-31-08 06:16 PM
    sounds like a problem with the phone. i would just return it for a new one if you are in the return policy still
    08-31-08 06:22 PM
    Registering the Blackberry in the Host Routing Table would be my suggestion but you say you've done that. what happens when you open the browser?
    08-31-08 06:23 PM
    Since you have done all that, I would take the phone back and have then try another one. You are not getting what you paid for. There are things that go on behind the network and RIM may need to involved. Good luck
    08-31-08 06:24 PM
    Registering the Blackberry in the Host Routing Table would be my suggestion but you say you've done that. what happens when you open the browser?
    I get this error message instantly:

Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later.

If the problem persists please contact your service provider.
    08-31-08 06:31 PM
    Sounds also like it could be a connection problem like for instance with alltel my connections are as follows

1x - low connections mainly phone
    1xev - low connections I think but have sms and email capability
    1X - data, sms, email and phone
    1XEV - full data, sms, email, internet, and phone

Not sure what sprints are but when we have lower cases we shut all connections off and then they hopefully will retsore to uppercases. If not I will log on to my carriers bb site and resend service books. Then register in the host routing table then do a battery pull.

If in case u bought your phone from someone else it could still have their info and carrier info hard programmed in the phone. My wifes pearl which I purchased from ebay had this issue. Phone but no data. It took me many tries with customer service before I convinced someone that the data from their carrier was still in it. Even if it came from another user in a diff part of the state or country they all use region specific local numbers and such. I see you have different issues though because you are deaf and can't really say what u need to tell them. So if its a new phone than return it! If not I don't remember how I got to the internal coding but they will know its where u view the esn and local numbers and things. U get to it by entering a series of numbers into the call screen. So I wish you luck with the problem and let me know what u can come up with or if you resolve it. I will bookmark this thread and check back later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-08 06:33 PM
    Thank you all for your replies!! I am still within the 30 days return policy but I was hoping that I could get it working without having to resort to paper writing at the store explaining my problems all over again. I will try and find out if any Sprint stores are open tomorrow.
    08-31-08 06:34 PM
    I agree w/ contractor how is your signal strength? Have you gone outside and tried? did it work at the sprint store?
    08-31-08 06:36 PM
    I see the symbol 1x. However my fellow co-workers (yes, I work with other deaf people) who have Sprint are still able to communicate with no problems.

I will try your solution, but where would I go to get my service books? I have to yet to sign in on Sprint's website.

I had this Blackberry shipped to me from a third party, and it was activated by the dealer before getting shipped. I saw the registration e-mails still intact in the Blackberry so I'm assuming that he did have data access when activating it.

Was the code you were referring to: ##110544 ?

Sounds also like it could be a connection problem like for instance with alltel my connections are as follows

1x - low connections mainly phone
    1xev - low connections I think but have sms and email capability
    1X - data, sms, email and phone
    1XEV - full data, sms, email, internet, and phone

Not sure what sprints are but when we have lower cases we shut all connections off and then they hopefully will retsore to uppercases. If not I will log on to my carriers bb site and resend service books. Then register in the host routing table then do a battery pull.

If in case u bought your phone from someone else it could still have their info and carrier info hard programmed in the phone. My wifes pearl which I purchased from ebay had this issue. Phone but no data. It took me many tries with customer service before I convinced someone that the data from their carrier was still in it. Even if it came from another user in a diff part of the state or country they all use region specific local numbers and such. I see you have different issues though because you are deaf and can't really say what u need to tell them. So if its a new phone than return it! If not I don't remember how I got to the internal coding but they will know its where u view the esn and local numbers and things. U get to it by entering a series of numbers into the call screen. So I wish you luck with the problem and let me know what u can come up with or if you resolve it. I will bookmark this thread and check back later.

08-31-08 06:41 PM
    When I was at the Sprint store, I still could not have data access. I was told that it would be activated and take 2-4 hours to take effect but that was yesterday.
    08-31-08 06:43 PM
    If u have 1x u have no data service to the phone. Try going under manage connections and shutting them down and restarting. Another problem could be is that it was activated to work in a different region and the local numb ers and things aren't working. You will at least have to have 1X because I go through this all the time since I upgraded it and it drives me nuts!!! But the sprint store can't help you unless they have a tech dept. If u can have someone call for you and get a blackberry tech. Sprint has a whole sepereate dept for this. Make them ask for someone who has been there for a couple years like a level 2 or level 3 tech. They will be more apt to try different scenarios and things to try to help you out. Believe me I went through it with sprint before finally cancelling because of coverage. But that's another issue. But I would try to get someone to try it over the phone because they are much better help! I think your sight would be sprint.blackberry.com. Then I think the default username might be ur number for username then sprint for the password. Make sure u include the area code. Ill check back in but I know it will be a pain to request the higher level techs but just tell them u have tried with others to no avail and u don't want to go through the run around again. Still be patient cause they will have to ask others and things for info as well as look it up. This is not a 5 min customer service call and ur prob be fixed. More than likely will be on the phone for an hour. Unless they are sharp on their knowledge and u know your way around the bb. Good luck and hope this helps!

08-31-08 07:29 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/what...site-url-3187/

This has all the companies sites on them

08-31-08 07:35 PM
    Contractorslim, you have been truly the most helpful out of all people I've had thus far with getting this device fixed. I am still unable to access my BIS account.

I have contacted my dealer and will be attempting to play phone tree starting tomorrow. I will keep this thread posted with my experience and hopefully happy results as soon as possible!!
    08-31-08 10:06 PM
    Good luck Keres. I'm sure it's frustrating.
    08-31-08 10:22 PM
    Contractorslim, you have been truly the most helpful out of all people I've had thus far with getting this device fixed. I am still unable to access my BIS account.

I have contacted my dealer and will be attempting to play phone tree starting tomorrow. I will keep this thread posted with my experience and hopefully happy results as soon as possible!!
    I think I know what your problem is. From what you're saying, you haven't actually registered your Berry on Sprints BIS site yet. You must do that first. When you get there it will ask you if you want to create a new account and you say yes. It will ask you for your device pin number and esn number. Enter these numbers and your Berry will be registered on Sprints network. From there, you can send your service books and everything. You should be able to access the web then.

08-31-08 11:46 PM
    I think I know what your problem is. From what you're saying, you haven't actually registered your Berry on Sprints BIS site yet. You must do that first. When you get there it will ask you if you want to create a new account and you say yes. It will ask you for your device pin number and esn number. Enter these numbers and your Berry will be registered on Sprints network. From there, you can send your service books and everything. You should be able to access the web then.

Hrm, I tried doing that and it says an account already exists. :\
    09-01-08 12:05 AM
    Hrm, I tried doing that and it says an account already exists. :\
    Sorry about that guy!! Looks like youll have to play the phone games with Sprint. Sorry that I couldn't help you more!!

09-01-08 12:11 AM
    Sorry about that guy!! Looks like youll have to play the phone games with Sprint. Sorry that I couldn't help you more!!

Thank you anyway. I've always enjoyed tinkering/troubleshooting with my Blackberry but I just wish that the opportunity didn't have to rise so early with such a new model.
    09-01-08 12:14 AM

I wish you luck getting it resolved. I just saw in the last post that you say it says there is already an account. If you got the phone from a 3rd party dealer they have sold you a used but in good condition phone! This is the same exact problem I went through with my wifes phone. Sprint has to clear the info on their side. Look at the numbers behind your battery and see if they match the numbers on the box. These are the things located in the menu if you call sprint again:
    Esn #
    Phone number currently used by the phone
    Local number that the phone connects to
    Email address used by the phone
    Imei #
    And several other things that are required by your phone to operate.

I remember you access the menu by ##?????#. I really wish I remembered the #'s I could tell you exactly what you need to check and change.

With this being a used phone I would possibly return if not much trouble. But if its a pain than I would try with sprint but I know its hard because you have to have a helper. There is a bb tech that can fix it you just might go through 10 of them first. Let me know how it goes and if u can get to that menu let me know.

I'm glad I could attempt at helping you through this complication!

09-01-08 08:12 AM
    UPDATE!

I got it working last night around 2 AM. What I did was that I decided to go into my Blackberry CDMA Service Edit Screen from the phone screen and dialing ##110544 and pressing call. It loaded up this screen and I noticed that since that I got a new phone number, it did not reflect in the IMSI_S. I changed it to reflect my new number, re-registered it, did provisioning and tada, it works!

I'm so happy now

Now I'm getting 2 bars of 1XEV.

Thanks to all who have tried to help me. I really did appreciate it and I'm really happy that I'm able to get it working on my own, which kind of validates the mini-geek in me
    09-01-08 05:57 PM
    AWSOME! gotta love manual programming.
    09-01-08 05:59 PM
    I am so glad you were able to get it fixed! I knew there was something in there that couldn't have been riight. Its just been so long since I dealt with it I couldn't remember exactly what it was! Congrats on the mini-geek and hopefully everything will be smooth sailing now! Take care

09-01-08 06:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD