BlackBerry News for BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet in BlackBerry App World

We’re excited to announce the availability of BlackBerry� News for the BlackBerry� PlayBook™ tablet in the BlackBerry App World™ storefront! We’ve optimized the news reading experience to accommodate the larger screen size the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet provides, as well as leveraged all gesture support to help immerse you in your news.

With BlackBerry News, you can add any RSS feed from your favorite news sites, favorite blogs, or other popular sites with syndicated content, so all the news you’ve subscribed to comes to you in one place. This application is an extension of the BlackBerry News Feeds application currently available for BlackBerry smartphones.

This application is currently available in the US and Canada, and will be available in other countries later this year.

Accessing and reading feeds

BlackBerry News takes advantage of your BlackBerry� ID, so if you are a BlackBerry News Feeds user on the BlackBerry smartphone side, your subscription will be automatically brought over and synced up between both BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry tablet applications.

First-time users of BlackBerry News – specifically those using the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet – will notice curated news feeds in specific categories, where we’ve chosen multiple content providers to populate content. The curated feeds come in the following categories: Arts & Entertainment, Business, Health & Lifestyle, News Headlines, Science & the Environment, Technology, and Travel. These news feeds are exclusively available for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet version of the BlackBerry News app, and can be found in the “News Categories” section of the app if you’re looking for a way to subscribe to those feeds.

Clicking on a subscription then gets you to an abbreviated summary view of articles within that news feed, so you can quickly scan headlines, view images and a short description of the article to determine if you want to read more of the article. You can swipe to the left to get the next page of articles, and repeat the gesture to get to the last available article.

Once you find an article you want to read, just touch on the article and you’ll be presented with a full article view.

If you’re going to be in a place where network access is unavailable, the BlackBerry News application also provides offline access to your previously downloaded feed content, so you can still read downloaded articles while you’re out of range from a Wi-Fi� signal. Acquiring new content requires connection to a Wi-Fi signal.

Adding new news feeds

You can add your own subscriptions to RSS feeds by hitting the “News Library” button. Once in the News Library, you can either search for a specific feed that you’re looking to add, or you can browse through the content library to find some of the more popular and well-known feeds. As search is currently limited to feeds indexed in the content library of the application, it’s possible you may not be able to find the RSS feed you’re looking for. In those cases, you can input the URL of the site that has the news feed that you want to add, and the app will detect if the news feeds are available for you to subscribe to.

Your subscriptions will be synced up with your BlackBerry ID, so if you’re on the go without your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, you can always catch up on the news through your BlackBerry smartphone by using our BlackBerry News Feeds application available in BlackBerry App World.

Unsubscribing to news feeds and updating content

From the “My News” home screen in the BlackBerry News application, you can use the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet bezel drop-down gesture to pull up an options menu, where you’ll be able to update your content or edit and delete any subscriptions you don’t want anymore.

You can get the recently launched BlackBerry News application for your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet in BlackBerry App World at the link below. We encourage you to post any feedback you have for us in the comments section below or the BlackBerry Support Forums, as your feedback is important to us.

Happy reading!

BlackBerry News for BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet in BlackBerry App World
    Last edited by rroyy; 06-09-11 at 08:30 AM.
    06-09-11 08:19 AM
    is this the RIM News Feed App? Im not seeing it.

found it using search. Yup, RIM App. Nice. Thanks for the heads up.
    06-09-11 08:22 AM
    downloaded it, will check it out
    06-09-11 08:31 AM
    Unfortunately not working in The Netherlands (later this year)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-11 08:37 AM
    I would love to use this except that it (and the counterpart on the phones) doesn't sync with Google Reader. Heck, I don't need Google Reader if I could just keep everything in sync. I don't want to read the same article over and over again on my desktops, phone, and tablet.
    06-09-11 08:41 AM
    This is one of the app i have wanted the most and is easily the one i use the most on my phone. Quick rundown

-Interface looks great
    -Runs smooth
    -Can play embedded video (always wanted this on the phone version)

Biggest F'n problem is you cannot mark story read!! What the H e double hockey sticks (sorry the forum censors that word) is up with that. Pretty much a basic feature if you ask me.

Also it would be great if they synced to the phone app like poynt did one you have the ability to keep everything the same on both devices.
    Last edited by Foreverup; 06-09-11 at 08:57 AM.
    06-09-11 08:42 AM
    Nice app. As soon as I opened it, and agreed to the agreement or whatever is. It connected to my BBID and updated all the feeds I used on my phone when I had the News Feed app on their. Thanks for letting us know about it!
    06-09-11 08:43 AM
    How does it compare to the other RSS readers already available? My current favorite is Glimpse, but I sometimes alternate through Feed Wheel, GeeReader, and Pipeline depending on how I feel at that moment. They all have their pros and cons, but I think Glimpse is currently the most slick with the update they pushed yesterday. Will DL this as soon as I get to wifi, though. I love RSS readers - probably my most utilized type of app.
    06-09-11 08:56 AM
    It makes me shudder to think of what rim could have done with this app (think flipboard), instead it just another port of their phone app. Is this really all we can expect from their best & brightest programmers?

06-09-11 09:04 AM
    Wow the Community Manager is cutttttttttttttttttteee!

Can somebody of you north american guys provide the .bar of BlackBerry News 1.0 for PB please? The app is oddly restricted to the USA/Canada and Europe users are left behind. :S
    Can somebody of you north american guys provide the .bar of BlackBerry News 1.0 for PB please? The app is oddly restricted to the USA/Canada and Europe users are left behind. :S
    I Though the only way to install playbook apps right now was either via the App world or if you did it as a developer? Either way, please, the rest of the world would also like this app please.
    06-09-11 09:10 AM
    I Though the only way to install playbook apps right now was either via the App world or if you did it as a developer? Either way, please, the rest of the world would also like this app please.
    People have figured out a work around for this. search the forums for "side loading" and it will bring up the instructions
    06-09-11 09:11 AM
    Yes, pleeeaase, help the rest of the world and share the .bar file ;-))
    06-09-11 09:20 AM
    I like this app and also like the layout. Works great and I sure it will get better as they update it. I also like news360 and pipeline they all have advantages. It will take some time to figure out what one I will use the most.
    06-09-11 09:31 AM
    Great! Now I can delete all the other RSS feeds that I am trying and I hate! The best thing is, I don't have manually add my feeds, BB ID!

06-09-11 09:49 AM
    Very nice app and a good demonstration of how the Playbook enhances the Blackberry experience. I had tried and deleted Blackberry News on my Torch because the layout and difficulty adding feeds were non-starters. But it really comes into its own on the PB. It is a different layout than GeeReader and it doesn't sync with Google reader, but its fast and fluid and shows you what's new in a glance.
    06-09-11 09:49 AM
    This would be thoroughly useful, anybody?
    06-09-11 09:51 AM
    Excited to try it out. Viigo stopped auto updating "All Channels"
    06-09-11 09:51 AM
    anybody think RIM will integrate News Reader with Google.....
    06-09-11 09:59 AM
    again rim ignores non-us/canada users...i can't help but why the software is ready it limits download to north america territory..

06-09-11 10:03 AM
    again rim ignores non-us/canada users...i can't help but why the software is ready it limits download to north america territory..

RIM is not ignoring the non-North American territory; the app clearly states on it that the app will be released in other markets around the world later this year.

As for the app itself - very well done. Quite pleased to see this. And I love it that it pulls my subscribed feeds through the Blackberry ID - wonderful that this was included.
    06-09-11 10:07 AM
    Excited to try it out. Viigo stopped auto updating "All Channels"
    Yes, apparently RIM bought out viigo and then disabled it so we would all use bb news.
    It actually is not too bad, considering a few other news feeds I've tried except for one thing on the bb version...
    You cannot save an article!

RIM, please fix this.

06-09-11 10:08 AM
    Yes please. Make a .bar available. Anyone?

06-09-11 10:25 AM
    RIM is not ignoring the non-North American territory; the app clearly states on it that the app will be released in other markets around the world later this year.

As for the app itself - very well done. Quite pleased to see this. And I love it that it pulls my subscribed feeds through the Blackberry ID - wonderful that this was included.
    my point is, why later this year for non non america user? i am curious why not make the download available globally at the same time since the software is ready..

06-09-11 10:52 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD