Anyone notice this?

With OS 5, whenever I connected to WiFi the WiFi icon remained grey, means I was connected but I couldn't actually use the WiFi connection.

I tried everything starting from turning off my mobile network then enabling WiFi, then I changed the security method from WPA2-Personal to WPA, then to WEP, then finally to NO SECURITY just for trial's sake, but no luck.

I have a Linksys E1000 which supports push button setup, I tried setting up using the push button, then manually adding it, no luck, stayed with Linksys Tech support for 1 hour for 5 consecutive days until we finally gave up..... So I just gave up on the WiFi idea on my BB.....

Now, after getting a Torch, and noticing that when it connects to WiFi, the WiFi signal bars turn white instantly, I was interested to know, is it something to do with the WiFi chipset in the phone? Or is it OS6? hmm.....

Finally, after getting a 9700, and loading OS 6, when I turn WiFi, the signal bars become white within lik 5-6 seconds! and I can browse through WiFi and the speed is instantenous.....

I am glad OS 6 fixes the WiFi connectivity issue...

Anyone else notice the above?
    11-19-10 11:18 PM
    I know belkin mimo routers will NOT work with blackberries because mine running the leaked OS 6 never maintained a connection at all. 5 minutes of active and between that, 5 minutes of no connection.

It could just be your router, have you configured it right to get it to work and forwarded all of the ports?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-10 11:35 PM
    I know belkin mimo routers will NOT work with blackberries because mine running the leaked OS 6 never maintained a connection at all. 5 minutes of active and between that, 5 minutes of no connection.

It could just be your router, have you configured it right to get it to work and forwarded all of the ports?
    Yes mate, as I mentioned I stayed for loooong hours with Linksys tech support and we tried every option one could think of.

But you see the point is, on OS 6 both on my previous Torch and the current 9700 with OS 6, WiFi works immediately, and web pages fast instantly...you know what I mean? very weird......why wouldn't OS 5 connect to my WiFi?? settings are the same, this is what's surprising / annoying me as I have a few older BBs that are on OS 5 but can never connect.

PS: I have had a US Robotics router before this, same issue. I thought that the US Robotics router was outdated (it was like 8 years old) so I bought this new shiny Linksys E1000 router, but it only works with OS 6
    11-19-10 11:41 PM
    On my 9700 I never had any problem connecting to a WiFi router where ever I tried. Just did a 'Scan for network' and select an open network; whether on OS 5 or 6. On OS 5, when I would first activate WiFi, it would take up to 3 minutes to connect (before the WiFi icon would change from grey to white) when in range of a saved WiFi profile. On OS 6, it takes less than 10 seconds to connect. I was (with OS5) and am (with OS6) able to connect any where there is an open network and of course, on my Linksys WRTU54G home router using WPA2 Personal.

Where I live we have a neighborhood network of free WiFi (Personaltelco.net), my home router, plus my neighbors have an open router. With OS5, it would automatically connect to a saved profile with the strongest signal (my home router). However, with OS6 it automatically connects to a saved profile with an open connection, not my home (secured) router even though the signal is much stronger. To get it to automatically connect to my home router, I had to delete the open network profiles i had saved whose signals are in range of my house.

Something else I noticed with OS6, I have "connection preference=mobile network preferred" and when home and I power on/reset my 9700, the WiFi connection is so fast it's connected UMA before a mobile signal is detected and then after 15 seconds or so, it switches to 3G.

11-20-10 01:09 AM
    On my 9700 I never had any problem connecting to a WiFi router where ever I tried. Just did a 'Scan for network' and select an open network; whether on OS 5 or 6. On OS 5, when I would first activate WiFi, it would take up to 3 minutes to connect (before the WiFi icon would change from grey to white) when in range of a saved WiFi profile. On OS 6, it takes less than 10 seconds to connect. I was (with OS5) and am (with OS6) able to connect any where there is an open network and of course, on my Linksys WRTU54G home router using WPA2 Personal.

Where I live we have a neighborhood network of free WiFi (Personaltelco.net), my home router, plus my neighbors have an open router. With OS5, it would automatically connect to a saved profile with the strongest signal (my home router). However, with OS6 it automatically connects to a saved profile with an open connection, not my home (secured) router even though the signal is much stronger. To get it to automatically connect to my home router, I had to delete the open network profiles i had saved whose signals are in range of my house.

Something else I noticed with OS6, I have "connection preference=mobile network preferred" and when home and I power on/reset my 9700, the WiFi connection is so fast it's connected UMA before a mobile signal is detected and then after 15 seconds or so, it switches to 3G.

Nice

I could never connect my 8520, 9000, and 8900 with OS 5 to my WiFi
    11-20-10 01:11 AM
    That would have driven me nuts. Even on my 8320 OS4, I never had WiFi connection problems.

11-20-10 01:15 AM
    just a quick one ML is your router a N router?? and when using your bold was the router set to B/G mode i had the exact same problem with a laptop not connecting to a friends network, couldnt work out what it was until we realised they come by default set to N mode and not mixed mode.
    11-20-10 02:47 AM
    My 9700 on OS5 connected fine, just at times had to reset router to get to work again, but always worked, wifi turned white, everything worked like a charm.

Seems it works better with OS6 though. Have yet to reset router.

11-20-10 11:11 AM
    My 9700 on OS5 connected fine, just at times had to reset router to get to work again, but always worked, wifi turned white, everything worked like a charm.

Seems it works better with OS6 though. Have yet to reset router.

My router would need to be reset quite a bit when connected to my OS5 9700 too. Doesn't happen near as much with BB6.

From my experience, WiFi and GPS both lock-on much faster with BB6 then 5.0.
    11-20-10 12:17 PM
    Well, I've only ever had "Issues" with connecting to WiFi way back before OS5on my 9000.

Since then, it rarely takes more than a few seconds for my phone (9000 or 9700) to connect to any saved WiFi network unless the internet connection for that WiFi network is down. (Like when I had Charter Cable internet and would have to reset the modem... thank God I'm back on DSL!!).

On OS5 with no desire to even fool with OS6 on my 9700.
    11-23-10 12:04 PM
    My router would need to be reset quite a bit when connected to my OS5 9700 too. Doesn't happen near as much with BB6.

From my experience, WiFi and GPS both lock-on much faster with BB6 then 5.0.

Do you also have a Linksys Router? Linksys doesn't seem to be very compatible with OS 5.

How, or why? I can't answer, not even their senior tech support agents were able to, but heck, if OS 6 fixes it I am glad there was a solution
    01-02-11 04:44 PM
    just a quick one ML is your router a N router?? and when using your bold was the router set to B/G mode i had the exact same problem with a laptop not connecting to a friends network, couldnt work out what it was until we realised they come by default set to N mode and not mixed mode.

Yes, it is an N router Danny, but it is backwards compatible.

Plus, the interesting thing is my 9700 with OS 6 connects within 5 seconds successfully, with OS 5, I tried, disabling security, push button setup, manual setup, nada.....Linksys tech support agents gave up and promised to raise the issue with RIM as to what is the difference in connection methods between OS 5 and OS 6
    01-02-11 05:00 PM
    My 9700 has been on almost every iteration of OS5 and now the few OS6 leaks. Never had a problem with wifi and I must have about 20 different places and use their networks as well as my home network.

Weird...

Just another example of how each Berry is different.

01-02-11 07:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD