Hi folks,

I'm a brand-new BB user. I had a few questions that I hope I can get answered here. I got this phone from my job. I guess I'm a bit paranoid about using this phone for personal reasons (like banking, etc.), even though we are allowed to do so.

1. If I am at home (where I get NO cell signal), and use my Wi-Fi signal (Comcast) to browse the Internet, am I correct in thinking that, if I clear my cache and history, there is no way for my browsing activity to be known by the networking guys at work?

2. If I am anywhere that has a Wi-Fi signal and I'm getting my cell signal, if I want to use the Wi-Fi instead of the cell signal, do I just simply sign onto the hotspot and it will take over all network communications?

3. How in the world can I view videos on my BB? YouTube won't let me, nor any other site I've been to.

Thanks for your help!
    J
    08-08-10 11:08 AM
    Vuclip web video search for videos. Got to save the videos to view it.

You are on BES at work?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-10 11:48 AM
    What is BES?
    08-08-10 11:54 AM
    There have been 86 views to this thread and only one reply? Did I break a rule or ask a question that nobody can answer?
    08-08-10 05:28 PM
    Just be patient.

You asked "there is no way for my browsing activity to be known by the networking guys at work". And this is a WORK PROVIDED device, which usually means that you are on a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Service) [Note that a quick Google Search would have defined that term for you.]

If you are indeed on a BES, then read this post, to find out what your administrator can and cannot see.

What does BES see; what can be tracked/logged? - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection

Note that clearing the history will have no affect on what they can see or not as this is recorded on the server.
    Last edited by Motorcycle Mama; 08-08-10 at 05:41 PM.
    08-08-10 05:37 PM
    Thanks for the reply and for the link!

I am curious about these two items:
    "Browser site history: Via the BlackBerry Browser"
    "Browser site history (via internet/WAP Browser)"

What's the difference? How do I tell which one I am using?

Also, is there any way I can find out if they use a BES just by looking at my phone settings?
    08-08-10 06:05 PM
    Open the browser, press Menu, go to Browser Configuration and see what it is set to.

Does your employer use an Exchange Server for your work emails?
    Did they activate the device on their server?
    How do the emails get to your device?

Go to Options > Advanced Options > Enterprise Activation. Is anything listed there?
    08-08-10 06:11 PM
    Oh.. also.. I'm not sure if I was clear enough in my original post. If I visit sites using my phone connected to my Wi-Fi at home, I realize it stores my browser history. But if I get rid of that history before the phone can sync with the BES server again, does the server still somehow find out my history? If so, how?
    08-08-10 06:16 PM
    Open the browser, press Menu, go to Browser Configuration and see what it is set to.

Go to Options > Advanced Options > Enterprise Activation. Is anything listed there?
    Working on this stuff.. thanks. I don't know if they use Exchange or not. They use Novell. I don't know if that helps at all.
    08-08-10 06:16 PM
    Browser Configuration:

Browser: BlackBerry Browser
    Browser Identification: BlackBerry

So yah I am using BB Browser. Thanks!

Sorry.. don't know.

Nothing for Email, Activation Password, or Activation Server Address. There is a PIN listed and then "Desktop: Activated On..." date.
    Last edited by CuriousBBNoob; 08-08-10 at 06:30 PM.
    08-08-10 06:21 PM
    I'm curious about what you're trying to view on your work phone...ahahah

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 01:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD