I have a bb Bold issued by my employer and I get my email via a BES server. I know my employer can remotely wipe my bb clean (for eg if it is stolen) This made me wonder. CAn my employer read my yahoo and hotmail email that I channel through to my bb?

thanks
    07-16-10 04:53 PM
    Yep . . .Get another personal phone. Keep business and personal seperate if you want it private.
    07-16-10 05:38 PM
    Just like they can see your work computer they can see your personal email on your BB. Like suggested get a personal device

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-10 08:07 PM
    HOWEVER, this article seems to suggest that no one can see data on my phone (other than corporate emails of course which is also stored on the corporate servers). Wouldnt this then suggest that yahoo emails are not accessible by my employer (although potentially by RIM)?

What happens to your smartphone data -- and is it safe? - CNN.com

here is a quote

Research In Motion, the owner of the BlackBerry, says that each individual user has a key that scrambles and unscrambles their data and that no one, even RIM itself, can access that data from the outside. (Some tech analysts doubt this is 100 percent true, but that's based more on speculation than hard fact).

Second, the BlackBerry stores data from the phones on secure servers that the company itself owns. Since those servers are not in-country, presumably living in RIM's home country of Canada, they can't peek in when they want to.
    08-06-10 02:24 PM
    A corporate BES can monitor what you do if they want. It's not the same as BIS which is what the article you read is talking about.
    08-06-10 02:27 PM
    Wow, I wasn't aware of this.

I have a Storm2 on a work BES.

When I open my Gmail App can they physically view what is inside my account if they don't have my password to my account?

How can this be?

Can they view my BBM content?

I realize they can block services/apps, but I never knew they could access content. That is startling to me to say the least.

I know a guy I work with couldn't access yahoo chat and google chat as they were de-listed or whatever from our BES...

EDIT: I just asked my IT advocate at the office here and a friend at another company who manages the BES for the mobile phone fleet for his company from within IT and they both say no... and if yes not easily at all.
    Last edited by JohnnyTheCanuck; 08-06-10 at 03:11 PM.
    08-06-10 03:06 PM
    08-06-10 03:22 PM
    It seems BIS emails include hotmail and yahoo which was exactly my question. According to this link the BES Admin CANNOT see BIS emails!

I wonder if the BES Admin can even detect a BIS email address?

I am amazed that there is not a definitive answer about this out there.
    Last edited by jasguild; 08-06-10 at 03:50 PM.
    08-06-10 03:41 PM
    It seems BIS emails include hotmail and yahoo which was exactly my question. According to this link the BES Admin CANNOT see BIS emails!

I wonder if the BES Admin can even detect a BIS email address?

I am amazed that there is not a definitive answer about this out there.
    That link is the definitive answer. Joolie knows what she is talking about.

As noted in the link, the BES administrator might be able to see the Service Books (which would tell them the BIS email address).
    08-06-10 04:59 PM
    They can view your email. And anything you do on yoiur computer at work I managed a boutique a couiple of years ago. Owner was from ouit of state. He had it set up that the home office could come into my store computer anytime. And they did quite often. I would bring in my laptop
    Glad he didn't pay for my BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 06:02 PM
    The BES admin can definitely view your email and sms on your berry.

Wondering if they can see the web browsing you do on your device? Anyone know that?
    08-06-10 07:49 PM
    My employer has software that tracks where everyone goes on-line. As others have said, get a personal device for personal stuff.
    08-07-10 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD