I've spent hours browsing and experimenting and can't solve this myself. I throw myself on the tender mercies of CrackBerryhood.

Gist is: I have to local sync PIM data, not OTA. Works fine for Calendar, Tasks and Memos, but Contacts won't sync.

My set up:
    BB Tour OS 5.0.230
    WinXP
    Outlook 2007
    Desktop Manager 5.0.1
    I'm on a company BES

I use local sync only for all PIM data, and I have the PIM info assigned to my personal email account. This works fine for Calendar Tasks and Memos, with Outlook 2007, but I can't make it work for Contacts.

Under Options ... Advanced ... Default Services, I'm able to set my Calendar (CICAL) to the personal email account, and likewise the Messaging (CMIME) to my personal account, but for the Contact List (SYNC) the only choice is my corporate BES "Desktop" account. There's no (SYNC) service listed for my personal email account under Options .. Advanced ... Service Books.

Though this would not be my preference, I can't even figure out how to get the Contact List to sync locally with my Desktop account.

I tried reloading service books and all that did was return default services for everything to the Desktop account.

How can I set up my personal email account with a SYNC service book or otherwise sync locally to that account under a BES? If there's no possible way, how can I change everything to sync locally with Outlook using the Desktop SYNC service, given that all the data are associated with my personal account? OTA sync is not an acceptable option in this case.

I'd be so grateful for step-by-step suggestions.
    12-15-09 09:21 AM
    If you have a gmail account....get "Google sync" for blackberry.
    You will never have to worry about losing your contacts or calendar events again.

Google Mobile

Features

Synchronize your contacts. Get your Google contacts quickly and easily to your Phone. With Sync, you can have access to your address book at anytime and place that you need it.

Get calendar alerts. Using your iPhone's native calendar, you can now access multiple Google calendars, and be alerted for upcoming appointments with sound or vibration.

Important! Google Sync uses the Microsoft� Exchange ActiveSync� protocol.

As with any service using push technology, Google Sync may cause increased usage of your device's battery.

(Overcome this by setting the sync to MANUAL)

Enjoy,

Dm
    12-15-09 09:29 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I don't want to put my data in the cloud, for the same reasons I don't want the data even on our own BES. My work is highly confidential and source-protection is an important challenge.

One more thing: I've cross posted this question in the BB Desktop forum. If that's not kosher, I'd ask a moderator to consolidate the posts. Thanks and pardon any breach of etiquette here.
    Edit/Delete Message
    12-15-09 09:34 AM
    Totally understandable sir.

Whoa, under default services I don't even have an entry for "Contacts".
    What OS are you running?

Dm
    12-15-09 09:38 AM

Whoa, under default services I don't even have an entry for "Contacts".
    What OS are you running?

Dm
    Desktop Manager 5.0.1 on Windows XP
    BB OS 5.0.230 on a Verizon Tour

Thanks for your assistance.
    12-15-09 09:40 AM
    This sounds like a BES IT Policy restrictions issue. Talk to your IT department. Maybe your company wants to have a lock down of contacts.

Also, if you are running BES, then all email and PIM will be synced OTA from your company's BES server. Why are you using Desktop Manager?
    12-15-09 09:48 AM
    ...if you are running BES, then all email and PIM will be synced OTA from your company's BES server. Why are you using Desktop Manager?
    Ordinarily that's right. But I asked that my PIM data not be synced over the air, and it is not. (Email, of course, is.) I sync only locally with Desktop software.
    12-15-09 01:18 PM
    Ordinarily that's right. But I asked that my PIM data not be synced over the air, and it is not. (Email, of course, is.) I sync only locally with Desktop software.
    Then you have a special arrangement with your IT department. Only they can help you.

Come to think of it the issue maybe is with IT blocking syncing of contacts, ie, they won't allow anyone syncing company's contacts to any devices, including BB, Palm, etc. That's my speculation.
    12-15-09 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD