Here goes: I subscribe to phonetag.com, a service which translates voicemails to emails. For more than a year, I have had the transcrbied messages sent to me at [email protected]. NOW, after changing devices (to the Tour), instead of a transcribed voicemail, I get a series of attachments ("text/plain" and "1 attachment") which are empty. Both RIM and VZW tech people don't know what to make of it, since "regular" and HTML email come through fine to that email address. KICKER: My wife has the same phone and settings, and when phonetag messages come to her ([email protected]) they are PERFECT!!

I've compared every single setting, re-sent the Service Books, and am at the end of my rope! Can someone help??

- Bob
    09-07-09 06:26 PM
    Have you tried to contact someone at phonetag.com? Since they provide the service they would probably be the best ones to help.
    09-07-09 07:30 PM
    how about having it forward to a different email address that is sent to your blackberry .. does that have the same problem?

it could be you dont have the BB attachment services files installed. hook your phone up to desktop manager, download and install 4.7.1.40 and run an update
    09-07-09 08:56 PM
    Hi,
    I contacted two tech people at phonetag.com, and they were totally helpless about the problem. I changed the email address to my gmail account (which also goes to the device), and it works fine. The usually helpful RIM tech people tested everything, and couldn't figure it out. I already have 4.7.1.40 installed... is there something I'm missing? I don't know whaty "BB attachment services are."
    Thanks!

- Bob
    09-08-09 06:42 AM
    I am currently experiencing the same issue on my Corporate BES account on my VZW 9630 (aka Tour) with OS v4.7.1.40. When I receive an e-mail message with one or more attachments from someone outside of the Corporate domain, I often (but not always) receive another unnamed "attachment" of type "text/plain" that I cannot open from the device -- this text/plain appears to be the e-mail body. Within Outlook on my desktop, the message is displayed correctly. As a work-around to view the message on the BlackBerry, I can either:

1. Forward the message to myself from the desktop Outlook client (the message body is visible in the sent message only); or
    2. Forward the message to another e-mail address that I can receive on the device. (FYI, if I cc: my Corporate account, I still cannot read the body on that account.)

I am waiting for a response to the ticket that I submitted to my Corporate help desk.
    Last edited by visortgw; 09-08-09 at 09:36 PM.
    09-08-09 08:07 AM
    Please let me know if you receive a helpful solution. This never occurred on my previous BB device - only after upgrading to the Tour.
    Thanks!
    09-08-09 11:13 AM
    What 3rd-party apps, if any, have you installed on your Tour? A post on another BlackBerry forum indicated that it appears that it is a combo of a bug in the RIM OS for the Tour (v4.7.1.40) plus a 3rd-party app that registers itself as a handler for the "text/xml" type. Specifically, the OP narrowed it down to PodTrapper in his case, but that is not one that I have installed -- I am pulling out my hair in an attempt to resolve this.
    09-08-09 12:44 PM
    Check out this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/te...chment-243433/ -- I am deleting SmrtGuard as we speak (waiting for device reboot). Others that have been named as culprits are PodTrapper and RSA SecurID.

UPDATE: Deleting SmrtGuard fixed the issue!
    Last edited by visortgw; 09-08-09 at 09:37 PM.
    09-08-09 01:40 PM
    >>Deleting SmrtGuard fixed the issue!

Damn... I pre-paid for a year of SmrtGuard service! But I'm so glad to know the cause. Maybe a future upgrade by SmrtGuard will fix it?
    09-08-09 04:41 PM
    I have already been in communication with the founder of SmrtGuard. I am confident that they will resolve this soonest! ;-)
    09-08-09 04:59 PM
    >>Deleting SmrtGuard fixed the issue!

Damn... I pre-paid for a year of SmrtGuard service! But I'm so glad to know the cause. Maybe a future upgrade by SmrtGuard will fix it?
    bobmarks,

Thanks for the purchase For this problem, our dev team will get to the bottom of this. More on this soon

Thanks!
    09-08-09 08:03 PM
    Whew...! I hope this gets fixed soon. I do love SmrtGuard, but I do need full functionality of my BB! Thanks for getting your dev team on this!
    09-09-09 07:36 AM
    I been having this problem too and for the life of me can't figure out the culprit. I even updated to the leaked .42 OS and the issue is still there. I am deleting SmrtGuard as I type this to see if it resolves the issue for me also. Will suck if that's the culprit as I paid for a full year too.
    09-09-09 08:27 AM
    Uninstalled SmrtGuard and it resolved the issue! Thanks!! But I really want SmrtGuard back on the phone. Hopefully they can address the issue soon.
    09-09-09 08:34 AM
    Uninstalled SmrtGuard and it resolved the issue! Thanks!! But I really want SmrtGuard back on the phone. Hopefully they can address the issue soon.
    nauticax, we will definitely resolve this issue. Will post more news as fixes come out.

Thanks.
    09-09-09 09:11 AM
    Just "upgraded" SmrtGuard to version 1.98... rebooted, but no change. Still can't get texts with audio attachments on my Tour. Very unhappy. I guess it's bye-bye SmrtGuard...
    09-11-09 08:03 AM
    Just "upgraded" SmrtGuard to version 1.98... rebooted, but no change. Still can't get texts with audio attachments on my Tour. Very unhappy. I guess it's bye-bye SmrtGuard...
    They haven't released a version that fixes the issue yet. Just wait till the next version. They mentioned in this thread that it will be fixed.
    09-11-09 08:06 AM
    Don't give up quite yet -- v1.98 was released BEFORE SmrtGuard was alerted of the issue. They are working to address the issue and hope to have an update out by week's end.
    09-11-09 08:07 AM
    Thanks... fingers are crossed!
    09-11-09 08:27 AM
    Hi all,

For those of you that had this problem, please get the v1.99 patch release.

directly from your BlackBerry http://www.smrtguard.com/download/sm.../450/smrtg.jad

Thanks,

SmrtGuard Support
    09-14-09 01:29 PM
    Hi all,

For those of you that had this problem, please get the v1.99 patch release.

directly from your BlackBerry http://www.smrtguard.com/download/sm.../450/smrtg.jad

Thanks,

SmrtGuard Support
    Downloaded and Installed! So far have not experienced the e-mail attachment issue.
    09-14-09 01:39 PM
    Thank you, THANK YOU!!! Good work getting on this and fixing the problem. I appreciate it! Seems to work perfectly again.
    09-14-09 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD