As you know, many have been making complaints about IMAP not working with their BlackBerry Tour as it should. It comes pre-configured to automatically activate gmail accounts simply by providing your email address and password. The most this did "imap-wise" was allow you to mark e-mail messages as "read." Deleting them had no affect on the gmail server. As well, all "imapism" was one way and not a two-way street. Meaning, only what you do on your device affects your gmail account, and not the other way around.

Well, with the way I've set IMAP up now, what happens on my gmail account, happens on my BB, and vice versa. Marking as read, deleting, returning emails to my inbox (instantly pushed and shows up as new emails on your device in this case), etc. The only thing I don't see available is labels. No biggie in my book though. This is still a great convenience. As well, we get to use our cool "Sent through out BlackBerry" signatures, and e-mail is now instantly pushed. LOL!

Here's what I did to set it up.

1. Got to Setup > Email Settings
    2. Select to set up an "Other" email account
    3. Enter your gmail username and put @bmail.com (anything other than gmail.com) for your email address
    4. Enter your password
    5. Click next
    6. On the next screen, select "I will provide the settings..."
    7. On the next screen, select "This is my personal..."
    8. On the next screen, select "I will provide the settings..." (redundant right?)
    9. Okay, this next screen is where the magic happens. Use the following settings.

Email address: put your CORRECT gmail email address.
    User name: put the first part of your gmail email address (eg, [email protected], put kingzee for the username)
    Password: enter your gmail password
    Email server: enter imap.gmail.com

10. Click next

Your account is successfully set up!

PROS:
    Mark as read
    Deleting
    Signatures
    Notification icons
    Filter for your device
    Confirm delivery
    Confirm read
    Send read receipts
    HTML emails
    Etc

CONS:
    Doesn't mark as read or delete on your device if done so in gmail.
    Can't label

You can REMOVE the Gmail App from your device now.
    Last edited by kingzee; 07-18-09 at 02:44 AM.
    07-18-09 01:34 AM
    yeah not working for me when i read the mail in gmail on my pc it doesnt mark it as read on my tour.
    07-18-09 02:00 AM
    yeah not working for me when i read the mail in gmail on my pc it doesnt mark it as read on my tour.
    Hunh?

Correct, it doesn't mark it as read on your device. A drawback, yes.
    07-18-09 02:03 AM
    Hunh?

Correct, it doesn't mark it as read on your device. A drawback, yes.
    Oh I thought that it did. So what did doing this accomplish that wasnt happening before? I seemed to have everything that I have now. Not trying to cut you down or anything, just curious.
    07-18-09 02:03 AM
    Oh I thought that it did. So what did doing this accomplish that wasnt happening before? I seemed to have everything that I have now. Not trying to cut you down or anything, just curious.
    Well, if you don't set it up as I've listed below, the only thing you can do is mark the email as read/open. But with this way you can also delete, move things back to your inbox and it will show back up on your device (but as unread), use custom signatures, apply filters for your device, instant push email (opposed to 15-20 minute waits), notifications can be changed, notification at the top of the phone with unread count.
    07-18-09 02:11 AM
    As well, doing it this way allows you to:

Filter for your device
    Confirm delivery
    Confirm read
    Send read receipts
    HTML emails
    Etc

These things you can't do with Gmail App.
    07-18-09 02:17 AM
    Mine did it out of the box. I had messed with some of the IMAP settings trying to get it work on my Diamond which never did happen. When I first deleted an email and it asked me if I wanted to delete from the server I almost hit the ground in joy. HTML support still sucks though.
    07-18-09 10:01 AM
    but i tried this on my tour - on the first step from the set up screen i can only see an option to set up the initial user, or just login. oddly enough it won't take my existing gmail account to just log in. am i missing something??
    10-21-09 10:18 PM
    I cant understand why you guys are having problems with this. I went logged into gmail enabled imap. Enter my gmail in bis, and my Tour does everything it is supposed to, I delete on my phone deletes in both locations no probs.
    10-22-09 01:02 AM
    im trying to follow the directions..on step 2, i have 2 options - to either configure the bb for the first time like an enterprise activation or to log in, but not with my gmail account..i do not see any option to create an 'other' or 'another' account..if i did, i wouldn't have posted that i needed help
    10-22-09 01:17 AM
    This worked great! Thanks
    03-04-10 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD