Hey guys, first post here. I'm a Verizon subscriber and want to get a Blackberry very soon. I know there's no release date for the Niagara, so what do you all suggest I do? No matter what model BB you have....wait for Niagara (possibly September???) or just get the Curve? I hate how other models are only available on certain carriers (like the Bold or Curve 8900).

Help please! Thanks.
    04-28-09 10:45 AM
    if i were you, i would grab a curve off of ebay or craigslist and save your upgrade(if you have one) for the tour(niagara). you can take this time to get used to the blackberry and all of the nuances, and then switching to the tour will be effortless. just my opinion..
    04-28-09 11:16 AM
    if i were you, i would grab a curve off of ebay or craigslist and save your upgrade(if you have one) for the tour(niagara). you can take this time to get used to the blackberry and all of the nuances, and then switching to the tour will be effortless. just my opinion..
    +1 ... Niagara should be a great device, but it's going to be pretty expensive if you pay retail. Curve is a great phone and they're a dime/dozen (alright, not quite, but there's plenty out there) on ebay / Craigslist.

Good luck, and welcome to the BlackBerry world when you do get one
    04-28-09 11:21 AM
    If you do buy one off of ebay / craigslist, make sure it is from a reputable seller, and ask for the PIN before you bid / buy. Call Verizon to make sure this PIN is not blocked / blacklisted, and that if you were to buy it, you could activate it. I have read stories on here about people being sold stolen phones on craigslist, etc so as title suggests, Buyer Beware

Also I have heard Verizon wont activate a BB that isn't branded as Verizon (can someone else verify / confirm this?). So make sure the phone is branded Verizon.

Welcome to your crackberry addiction and FYI creating duplicate threads (like the one I found below) is frowned upon.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/wa...s-help-216607/
    Last edited by dtubbs06; 04-28-09 at 11:56 AM.
    04-28-09 11:53 AM
    If you do buy one off of ebay / craigslist, make sure it is from a reputable seller, and ask for the PIN before you bid / buy. Call Verizon to make sure this PIN is not blocked / blacklisted, and that if you were to buy it, you could activate it. I have read stories on here about people being sold stolen phones on craigslist, etc so as title suggests, Buyer Beware

Also I have heard Verizon wont activate a BB that isn't branded as Verizon (can someone else verify / confirm this?). So make sure the phone is branded Verizon.
    correct. its virtually impossible to get a cdma phone flashed to another carrier, and a major rule of economics is buyer beware. always do your homework.. its much easier on ebay, because you can check the history.
    04-28-09 11:56 AM
    I just got a curve and love it! I still might use my upgrade in October, though. Depends on how I like the Niagra.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 12:03 PM
    If I were you I'd grab a curve and get your free BB to sell on e-bay. Here in CA they're still doing the buy a BB and get any BB free. Maybe buy a curve and get the storm then sell the storm.
    04-28-09 12:04 PM
    Are we supposed to have SPAM here?

04-28-09 12:18 PM
    Hey guys, thanks for all the help. So let's say I get the Curve right now from Verizon. How do i know if i have an upgrade? and if i do, i can use that free upgrade to get the tour later in the year?
    05-08-09 02:50 PM
    Hey guys, thanks for all the help. So let's say I get the Curve right now from Verizon. How do i know if i have an upgrade? and if i do, i can use that free upgrade to get the tour later in the year?

Do you mean for Verizon or from Verizon? There is a difference.

If you get the Curve from Verizon, you won't have an upgrade to use on the Tour/Niagara.

If you get a used Curve that is branded for Verizon, your upgrade status and date with Verizon is unchanged. So if you have an upgrade due or NE2 discount you can use it for the Tour/Niagara when it is released, because activating a used Curve you bought from another source (Craigslist, eBay) doesn't affect your upgrade/NE2 with Verizon.
    05-08-09 03:02 PM
    Go to your account online. There should be a gauge somewhere on one of the main pages that shows how long you have until your "new every two" upgrade, or a link that say's upgrade now.

If you're at the end of your contract & eligible for the new every two, you can get a brand new curve for $50 (online order). It's already loaded with 4.5 & optimized to have the 5MB minimum out of box. This is what I just did & I couldn't be happier with the decision. Beyond that, with the BOGO offer still going, your better half, or one of your friends can get one for free if they sign up for a 2 year contract too.

IMHO - if you're itching to get a BB, just go ahead & grab a curve now. It's a solid device & doesn't have the issues/bugs that a brand new device will right out of the gate. I was personally following the storm (almost obsessively) since it was announced, but still went with a curve when I finally bought into the BB scene
    05-08-09 03:05 PM
    Yeah, my current phone (the Alias two-way flip from Verizon) I've had for the entire 2-yr contract and that ended back in January.

So you're saying it's cheaper to buy on ebay? i would think verizon wouldn't have Curves for that expensive considering it's been out a while, plus they have the Storm.

And when you say upgrade, it's a completely free upgrade to the Tour (if i buy Curve online and save my upgrade)
    05-08-09 03:10 PM
    LOL - that's the exact phone I just upgraded from.

The Ebay choice breaks down like this:
    You buy a phone from someone on Ebay, activate it on your account.
    Since you didn't buy it with a discount that required a new contract, your Verizon account still shows that you are eligible for your NE2 credit.
    That stays in effect until you use that credit, along with a 2 year contract discount, to buy a new phone (Tour).

It's verrrrry unlikely that you'll get the Tour for free with your next upgrade. As it stands right now, with the NE2 & New 2 year contract, a Storm will still run you $150.00.
    The reason they are suggesting keeping you credit with Verizon & buy a curve on ebay is because you will get a discount on the Tour (when it comes out) that you wouldn't get if you were in the middle of your contract.
    05-08-09 03:18 PM
    And when you say upgrade, it's a completely free upgrade to the Tour (if i buy Curve online and save my upgrade)
    And this is where you are confused, I believe...

When they say buy one get one free, you have to activate the second free BB (of equal or lesser value) with 2 year activation right away. There is no save for later on this offer.

Best you can do is save your upgrade/NE2 discount pricing for the Tour. There is no way you are getting the Tour for free.
    05-08-09 03:25 PM
    LOL - that's the exact phone I just upgraded from.
    Thanks for all the info, it's been great. so coming from my exact phone lol, how's life with the curve compared to the alias? please tell me everything thats better and why i should get a curve lol
    05-08-09 03:29 PM
    Are we supposed to have SPAM here?

Who's spamming
    05-08-09 03:29 PM
    It's a blackberry instead of just a (slightly) email capable phone.

It's one of the more stable/solid smart phones out there.
    Very customizable (application wise).

Better camera (not the best out there by far, but head & shoulders above the alias) I use this camera, I used my alias' once every few months at most.

Expandable memory that you can really intuitively use for your music / photo's. I never really utilized my alias for mp3s and all because it wasn't overly upfront and simple - my curve is connected to my car stereo as soon as I get in.

You can go online, you are always connected.

It's just better
    Truth be told, I was a Sidekick user Back in the day. The Alias was my way of "downgrading" from smart phones (if you can call the sidekick a smart phone) in general for a little while, while still keeping a qwerty since I had qwerty's for years up to that point.
    After doing months of Crackberry lurking, I found the curve was really one of the best current choices out there to get back up into the 21st century. There's hardly a single bad review ANYWHERE for this phone. It's hands down the best, most solid device available through Verizon right now.

All that said, it's not the newest & flashiest out there.
    But I decided to go for reliability instead of waiting for the next big thing to come along & be a beta tester for that.
    05-08-09 03:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD