Hi all,

For some days already I'm trying to decently backup my wifes contacts and calendar (before doing a factory reset, as it is behaving badly).

After lots of fiddling around on different computers and laptops, I finally succeeded in creating a *.bbb backup with Blackberry Link.
    However, as this is not an open format, I don't think I can restore this file to anything except a blackberry (in case the factory reset fails for some reason).
    Also I can't actually "read" the *.bbb file to see if the export of the contacts and calendar actually worked.

In short: I don't trust this *.bbb enough to rely only on that...

So I have been trying to sync the contacts and calendar to a Google account, as a backup...

This seems easy enough... It is clearly descibed here:
    https://www.lifewire.com/syncing-bla...h-gmail-577615

However, the Blackberry Q10 of my wife doesn't even have these "Synchronisation Options" and so far I have failed to get it to sync anything (except emails) with this google account.

So I'm hoping someone here can explain me how to do it...

I've made a short video on what the menu looks like on our Q10:

Apologies that this is in Dutch, but I assume, the English menu structure should be similar.

Thanks in advance!
    05-24-17 02:08 PM
    Hi all,

For some days already I'm trying to decently backup my wifes contacts and calendar (before doing a factory reset, as it is behaving badly).

After lots of fiddling around on different computers and laptops, I finally succeeded in creating a *.bbb backup with Blackberry Link.
    However, as this is not an open format, I don't think I can restore this file to anything except a blackberry (in case the factory reset fails for some reason).
    Also I can't actually "read" the *.bbb file to see if the export of the contacts and calendar actually worked.

In short: I don't trust this *.bbb enough to rely only on that...

So I have been trying to sync the contacts and calendar to a Google account, as a backup...

This seems easy enough... It is clearly descibed here:
    https://www.lifewire.com/syncing-bla...h-gmail-577615

However, the Blackberry Q10 of my wife doesn't even have these "Synchronisation Options" and so far I have failed to get it to sync anything (except emails) with this google account.

So I'm hoping someone here can explain me how to do it...

I've made a short video on what the menu looks like on our Q10:

Apologies that this is in Dutch, but I assume, the English menu structure should be similar.

Thanks in advance!
    I'm not sure as I've been away from actively using BB10 but you might have to remove the account and re-add it and then set it up for sync those two "data bases" with google. I think that when initially setup, it asks about syncing.

Or you could download a 3rd party app and use that to backup the files. If nothing else some of them are human readable and might be able to be imported into a new phone.

You'd have to verify these create human readable files like comma delimited, etc

Backup Pro, Ultimate Backup and others.

Someone currently using bb10 might have additional suggestions.

Good luck
    05-24-17 04:38 PM
    Thanks for the advice.

This was actually a newly setup account specifically for this. I didn't see anything extra during initial setup :/
    I hope I can simply get the sync to work, so I don't have to go work with csv files
    05-24-17 05:08 PM
    Ok I just found it!!

When adding an account, it asks for the emailaddress.
    Below there is a button advanced. Out of habbit, I always click that button as well (to have more precise control over what I do).
    In the choices I got then, there is Gmail, so I logically picked that option.
    When completing the following fields, it only gave me an email account (as you can see on the video).

When instead of clicking the advanced button, you just type in the email address and then click next and follow all steps, it gives you the option to choose all 3...

so... don't pick advanced on a blackberry
    05-24-17 05:26 PM
    Mmm... So I did find all settings now and it is correctly setup, but syncing only goes in 1 direction: From google account to Blackberry, and not the other way around, which is what I want...

Any suggestions?
    05-25-17 03:02 AM
    ok... if no one knows how to do it, can someone perhaps tell me if it is possible to sync in the direction of the google account? Did anyone manage to do it?
    05-27-17 08:12 AM
    Ok I just found it!!

When adding an account, it asks for the emailaddress.
    Below there is a button advanced. Out of habbit, I always click that button as well (to have more precise control over what I do).
    In the choices I got then, there is Gmail, so I logically picked that option.
    When completing the following fields, it only gave me an email account (as you can see on the video).

When instead of clicking the advanced button, you just type in the email address and then click next and follow all steps, it gives you the option to choose all 3...

so... don't pick advanced on a blackberry
    I found that not picking advanced works well with all types of accounts.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-17 11:18 AM
    Contacts that are newly added to the Blackberry get synced to the google account btw.
    So it does work in both ways...

But all existing contacts remain on the Blackberry only and are not synced...

Still no solution
    06-07-17 08:45 AM
    Contacts that are newly added to the Blackberry get synced to the google account btw.
    So it does work in both ways...

But all existing contacts remain on the Blackberry only and are not synced...

Still no solution
    What if you sync contacts through exchange active sync from hotmail or outlook? Does Google import those as well?

Posted via CB10
    06-07-17 09:03 AM
    Can you explain in a bit more detail what you mean exactly?

Should I create a fresh Hotmail account and try to sync with that?

Outlook is not option I'm afraid. The Blackberry refuses to connect decently with my desktop and sometimes it connects half-decently with my work-laptop (don't we all love how good all phones connect with computers :'( ) and I can't sync my wifes agenda / contacts with my work-Outlook...
    06-07-17 09:21 AM
    I've created an fresh outlook.com account and configured it to sync on the BB, but that also doesn't sync existing entries to the online account. (same as with the Google account)

Then I've also created an additional Mail Profile to use on my work-laptop.
    I've configured this additional email profile to use the fresh outlook.com account.
    Next I've tried syncing the agenda and contacts using BB Link.

The contacts are FINALLY synced ok, but the Calendar still refuses to sync, no matter what settings I try

Why can't this just work?
    06-18-17 05:08 AM
    I've created another Mail Profile on my laptop and configured it to use the fresh Gmail account.

Again, contacts sync, but the Calendar does not...
    It says "Synchronisation Completed", but it only syncs contacts and not the agenda...

Is it possible the BB Link doesn't see the Agenda items?
    If that is possible then I'm very afraid that the backups (*.bbb) are worthless.
    Is there any way to verify that something is inside the *.bbb calendar? I'm afraid that it is empty there as well...
    06-18-17 05:27 AM
    I've just tried to open the *.bbb file with Blackberry Extractor and it says "Please select a valid Blackberry Backup file".

Is there actually anything that works on a Blackberry? :/

Getting a bit depressed of this. Should I really start typing over 1000s of calendar entries, just because I once made the mistake to buy a Blackberry?
    06-18-17 06:12 AM
    Ok, I took the risk and finally did the factory reset on the phone...

Luckily it seems like the *.bbb did contain both contacts and agenda (my wife would have probably killed me if I lost her agenda )

But do notice right away that even after a factory reset, BB Link still is not able to sync my agenda to my outlook...

I still would like a solution for this... Thx!
    06-19-17 02:46 AM
    what should do , is blackberry going ti failure mobile company in market
    01-24-19 09:58 PM