This screen shot essentially says that the phone isn't being used.
    04-29-17 05:24 AM
    This screen shot essentially says that the phone isn't being used.
    True. But by now, my Priv would be dead.

I mean sometimes you don't really need to use your phone, but you need the confidence that it's there and ready for you.
    brunibruni and UrbanGlowCam like this.
    04-29-17 06:01 AM
    Congrats of getting your K1, I will also do a review once we are able to buy one here in the USA?
    It's going to be a looong month ahead of us

Posted via CB10
    04-29-17 06:36 AM
    - I upgraded from a Classic

- Upgrade was smooth

- Keyboard is fine but the keyboard shortcut and conveience key shortcut do not give me two really important options (1) back button - the back button is a touch button and when I would like it lower OR a button shortcut for efficiency and (2) the send button for emails is at the top right of the screen!! [if anyone knows a way around this please let me know]
    Nice review...just one question: Classic kb vs Keyone one. Just feeling, quality, size, etc. Not shortcut etc.
    Tanx
    04-29-17 07:40 AM
    You should get your phone replaced.
    llotse likes this.
    04-29-17 07:59 AM
    Go to an app - for example YouTube, and then keep the box next to the circle home button pressed. It will pin the current app, and then allow you to choose another app. Unfortunately, might only work with supported apps, and not each and every app out there.
    04-29-17 08:05 AM
    Battery life seems really really good.

Screen is far better than the Priv outdoors

You can assign LED colours for email, whatsapp, BBM. You don't seem to be able to for text messages but you can with textra.

Swiping up on the keyboard is not as responsive as the passport, especially in the middle of the keyboard.

The phone is far more beautiful in real life than in photos. I'm much less upset about the silver bar at the top than I thought I would be.

It feels really slim in the hand, and 'phone shaped' against the ear unlike the passport and priv.

The back is really nice and grippy.

Build quality feels exceptional, they have used premium materials for sure.

The keys are nice and clicky, not spongy like the Priv. Muscle memory is getting there after 2yrs on the passport.

Now a question - how do I get a split screen?
    I can't tell you how but am sure it's the only practical phone so far to support a split screen especially if one of the apps needs or is expecting text input.
    Andrew Sheil likes this.
    04-29-17 08:09 AM
    I think it feels top heavy compared to VKB phones as you need to press harder, as opposed to just touching the keyboard. It means a different sort of grip on the phone. In all it feels less stable and a bit uncomfortable than a VKB phone, that being said I am getting more used to it. Still feel it would be a lot more comfortable with one of those stick on ring type things for the back.
    Why not get one of those rings? There are a few out there(especially on aliexpress) that are flat, as in plain flat with nothing sticking out.
    04-29-17 08:29 AM
    It's strange how some people think the KEYone is "top heavy" when there are lots of VKB phones that are the same length or longer and no one seems to think they are top heavy.

Must be a BlackBerry thing since the Classic and Passport are shorter than most of today's phones.
    not really a BB thing. old days (BBOS6-7), the main board might be printed circuit board, the camera, speaker, large chips like stack processor, memory, amplifier are mount on the board that easily (relatively speaking, never easy) distribute the weight and can provide good balance for the handset - if the designer is pay attention (saw some layout in past life, little or no attention being paid for weight distribution consideration... pure electrical, even it is a slab... the differentiation of good design vs average is in the details, not spec). With device getting thinner and you are using flexible circuit more, you seriously need to consider where to put battery, speaker, chipset and camera to make sure it pivet point is at your hands holding point, not above. You can check the apple recent iphone 8 rumored design, the battery got extra near the bottom of the handset, I belive not only for the increase of capacity of the battery. By look at the Merc via all the youtube, not too bad. but I reserve my judgement until I lay my hands on to one. keyboard do have some advantage. the KB natually put the center of gravity above the base, the disadvantage would be you can't really put some thick components there if you want a thinner overall device. for someone put a single holding point near bottom of the unit - like home button or other feature, if not design properly, soon or later, you got "flip" out of hands.. but who cares if it is cheaply made and always user's fault as long as the user is spec buyer ;-).
    change topic, for all you lucky guys and gals holding Merc. make sure you only use the charger from BB. IMHO (the risk is not worth taking... particularly, when the power management did fantastic job to give you extended life... I guess thanks for 625 chip and other improvement qualcomm did).
    Alain_A likes this.
    04-29-17 08:31 AM
    Nice review...just one question: Classic kb vs Keyone one. Just feeling, quality, size, etc. Not shortcut etc.
    Tanx
    I like the gloss feel on K1 kb, it's different and feels a bit more cramped but I'm typing on it right now like a speed demon. It feels like a really good build. Buttons are very responsive. My colleague at work is a big dude with giant hands he couldn't really use the K1 kb due to it's size but for me, I don't have a giant hand span so have no issues with K1. It's hard to judge keyboard without speaking of the shape of the phone, a lot of discussion on the phone being bottom or top heavy etc.. For me it's fine but I'm holding it as low as I can to accommodate for the size/shape. BB makers were talking about typing one handed, don't know what they are on about you need two hands to fully drive this phone. Not having the trackpad to navigate free text is prob the one key thing that would make the phone perfect. Either way, I'm deliriously happy with this phone. I just can't believe it. I'm so impressed, even at 2% battery it runs so smoothly. Hope that helps
    ariandax and anon(3641385) like this.
    04-29-17 08:31 AM
    Battery saving mode seriously cripples your device. Don't turn it on if you don't need to...
    Each to his own but I run mine on this mode so far and have not suffered in anyway. FYI I email, Instagram, whatsapp, some browsing.. For some priority is extending battery life and accepting a lower brightness screen.
    04-29-17 08:34 AM
    Boost charging charges your phone quicker because it shuts down background apps from running. Meaning it charges more efficiently.. It has nothing to do with increasing the power to charge it faster.

so boost charging should be used if you don't want apps running in the background that will slow down your charging time.
    Boost makes phone warmer. Don't know if it affects longevity of the phone nor if it's economical. Would be interested to find out
    Saurabh Poddar likes this.
    04-29-17 08:36 AM
    -
    -I will test speaker/volume tonight #Dwonder
    Just in case I didn't see it, do u ever post the comment regarding the Classic to KEYone speaker comparison? Thanks again

**Bold 9000, Bold 9900, Q10, Classic...do u notice the pattern? :-) ...the KEYone is NEXT!**
    04-29-17 10:21 AM
    Surely there's an option as with most Androids to turn off fast charging.

Use a fast charger but leave the option off when you don't need it.
    That would work too, thanks for the advice. My Android doesn't support quick charge at all so didn't know about that option.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-29-17 10:53 AM
    Send button with email: assign a ctrl key and use ctrl enter to send email. Go to keyboard setting and dig around for the ctrl key. Normally you can set it as left or right shift key if i'm not mistaken.
    Also when you're at it, try ctrl c ctrl v as if you would on a pc
    I think I've read that like with the Priv, alt-c and alt-v does copy and paste like with a PC.

04-29-17 10:55 AM
    Just in case I didn't see it, do u ever post the comment regarding the Classic to KEYone speaker comparison? Thanks again

**Bold 9000, Bold 9900, Q10, Classic...do u notice the pattern? :-) ...the KEYone is NEXT!**
    I went on YouTube and played Return of the Mack.. and I played an MP3 with ample base. I could be wrong but I think Classic sound was better and more crisp. K1 Def mediocre on speaker (sound file and speakerphone)
    04-29-17 11:45 AM
    - I will test speaker/volume tonight

I suggest you use this speaker test to be sure:
    04-29-17 11:51 AM
    I think I've read that like with the Priv, alt-c and alt-v does copy and paste like with a PC.

Not Alt actually. You have to assign one of the shift keys as a Ctrl key (The best option is to assign the right Shift key IMO) and then that key will function like a control key and perform all functions like on a PC
    This should help
    Ctrl shortcuts - Keyboard - latest
    04-29-17 01:41 PM
    I went on YouTube and played Return of the Mack.. and I played an MP3 with ample base. I could be wrong but I think Classic sound was better and more crisp. K1 Def mediocre on speaker (sound file and speakerphone)
    Gotcha. Would u say the KEYone is louder or the Classic? Or exactly the same?

04-29-17 02:34 PM

Not as loud from memory. Will turn my classic on tomorrow and double check. I remember being impressed by classic when first heard sound play, was louder than my Mrs' Samsung
    04-29-17 02:36 PM

Not as loud from memory. Will turn my classic on tomorrow and double check. I remember being impressed by classic when first heard sound play, was louder than my Mrs' Samsung
    04-29-17 02:37 PM
    Not Alt actually. You have to assign one of the shift keys as a Ctrl key (The best option is to assign the right Shift key IMO) and then that key will function like a control key and perform all functions like on a PC
    This should help
    Ctrl shortcuts - Keyboard - latest
    Oh ok. I would just assign the left shift key. I never use the shift key, just longpress for capital letters, lol.

04-29-17 03:26 PM
    I love reading this thread - awesome to see that for those who have KEYone the initial feedback seems overwhelmingly positive!

Keep it coming.
    04-29-17 08:08 PM
    Im so sick of reading all these nice comments about the KEYone, its quite frankly nauseating that I have to wait at least another month for it to come to South Africa

Posted via CB10
    05-01-17 03:30 PM
    You can turn off adaptive brightness in display settings.

VKB only came up on the Priv when the slider was closed, I highly doubt you could bring one up on the KEYone without the kind of app that nobody is likely to build.
    Actually, on the Priv you can set the VKB to show even when the PKB is out (see pic). I believe Bla1ze posted somewhere that it's the same on the KEYone.
    Attached Thumbnails Thoughts after 24 hours of KEYone-58410.jpg  
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    05-01-17 06:06 PM
122 ... 2345