The things we surround ourselves with are an imperfect reflection of who we are. For my part, I need a broader context than 'I have an iphone/BlackBerry/Samsung' etc. There is so much more to care about.

Posted via CB10
    Perfectly said.
    04-17-17 05:52 PM
    Straight answer I think is that blackberry phones are failures.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 07:39 AM
    Straight answer I think is that blackberry phones are failures.
    At least for the people that don't buy them.
    BB_PP likes this.
    04-18-17 09:24 AM
    I still have steam coming out of my ears. Yesterday we had a computer/security camera technician out to do some tweaks on our security cameras. He was putting the apps on our phones. He guffawed when I handed him mine and I said it was Blackberry. Before I could say it was android, he started to hand it back to me and said I would have to side load the app. I explained it was android and that Blackberry also was coming out with a new android PKB, and he made a face, shrugged, and said "yeah right". A totally nasty indifferent reaction to Blackberry. Why are people so darned negative about BB? Time for Blackberry Mobile to do a big publicity campaign for the KEYone!! I so wished I had had the KEYone in my hands to hand to him initially when I handed over my DTEK50. His eyes would have popped out of his head in my opinion.
    I would be more concerned over the fact that you are still steaming over what is essentially a non-issue. He rolled his eyes!? Big whoop-dee-do. Not being harsh on you, just saying that the only opinion around here that should matter is your own.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    04-18-17 11:31 AM
    I would be more concerned over the fact that you are still steaming over what is essentially a non-issue. He rolled his eyes!? Big whoop-dee-do. Not being harsh on you, just saying that the only opinion around here that should matter is your own.
    Because he is obviously not properly qualified to perform his duties to the fullest extent. He was at the point where he was putting apps on people's phones and immediately dismissed his simply because it said BlackBerry and didn't even know that his phone IS an Android. Like I posted somewhere earlier in the thread - if he had never seen a BlackBerry Android in real life is one thing and perfectly reasonable. But to not have any knowledge and to scoff at the very notion that BlackBerry runs Android is unprofessional. I graduated in Computer Science though I don't use it. They didn't teach me everything but one of the few things I did learn is specialize in whatever field interests you but you had to be at least knowledgeable of everything happening in the industry. For a basic analogy - I should know how to do something in Windows, maybe know how to do it on a Mac and maybe be able top figure it out or have somebody to call for Linux.
    Sigewif likes this.
    04-18-17 12:18 PM
    Because he is obviously not properly qualified to perform his duties to the fullest extent. He was at the point where he was putting apps on people's phones and immediately dismissed his simply because it said BlackBerry and didn't even know that his phone IS an Android. Like I posted somewhere earlier in the thread - if he had never seen a BlackBerry Android in real life is one thing and perfectly reasonable. But to not have any knowledge and to scoff at the very notion that BlackBerry runs Android is unprofessional. I graduated in Computer Science though I don't use it. They didn't teach me everything but one of the few things I did learn is specialize in whatever field interests you but you had to be at least knowledgeable of everything happening in the industry. For a basic analogy - I should know how to do something in Windows, maybe know how to do it on a Mac and maybe be able top figure it out or have somebody to call for Linux.
    I wouldn't base professionalism in this field on a knowledge of smartphone platforms OEMs. I'd also never allow a technician physically install apps on my device, but that's a point for another discussion.

If this fellow is truly incapable of doing his job, I'd respectfully suggest OP find better folks to spend money on.

I admit that my view is shaded by the impossibility of me being upset by someone dissing any inanimate object I own, and maybe that is a personal failing. Still, this is CrackBerry, where folks determine the viability of elected officials based on what device they use.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    04-18-17 12:55 PM
    I didn't say this man wasn't capable, I'm just saying not capable to the fullest extent. Like I said, if he had never seen a BlackBerry Android before is perfectly reasonable, once he gave him the "yeah right" with regards to a PKB BlackBerry Android does exist and another one is imminently coming dismissively is where he went to non-professional and where I say he is not fully qualified.
    Sigewif likes this.
    04-18-17 01:06 PM
    I didn't say this man wasn't capable, I'm just saying not capable to the fullest extent. Like I said, if he had never seen a BlackBerry Android before is perfectly reasonable, once he gave him the "yeah right" with regards to a PKB BlackBerry Android does exist and another one is imminently coming dismissively is where he went to non-professional and where I say he is not fully qualified.
    Fullest extent? I am a "expert" in my field but don't know every nook and cranny of less than 1% of things that may be in my field. They are busy but can deal with 99% of the cell phone market.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 04-18-17 at 01:35 PM.
    04-18-17 01:10 PM
    What are the chances that this dude ran into someone in the past who owned a BB10, and one who insisted that it sure indeed ran Android? A few, perhaps. And we all know that BB10 owners are/were a special breed. I mean, the OP did write that he said she/he would have to side-load it. Judging by some of the characters around here I am sure there are still a few BB10 holdouts who would not only feel they are right about being able to install the app in question but also who would give this guy an earful over BB10s superiority. Or that the security system is running QNX, maybe.

But hey, after the incident with the OP perhaps now he knows?
    04-18-17 02:03 PM
    Fullest extent? I am a "expert" in my field but don't know every nook and cranny of less than 1% of things that may be in my field. They are busy but can deal with 99% of the cell phone market.

Posted via CB10
    So? Is the phone he handed him an Android up to the current standards (Lollipop, Marshmallow or Nougat) --> Yes --> Does it work?
    --> Yes --> therefore he should service it (install the app).

Should he expect to run into us 1% of people who could cause a problem? The probabilities of that are slim, but he should be ready. Like I said, I don't care if he had never seen a BlackBerry Android in his life - it's that he thinks the very notion that a BlackBerry running Android is impossible by saying "yeah right" is where I call him unprofessional and not capable to the fullest extent.
    04-18-17 02:08 PM
    What are the chances that this dude ran into someone in the past who owned a BB10, and one who insisted that it sure indeed ran Android? A few, perhaps. And we all know that BB10 owners are/were a special breed. I mean, the OP did write that he said she/he would have to side-load it. Judging by some of the characters around here I am sure there are still a few BB10 holdouts who would not only feel they are right about being able to install the app in question but also who would give this guy an earful over BB10s superiority. Or that the security system is running QNX, maybe.

But hey, after the incident with the OP perhaps now he knows?
    Your BB10 theory sounds reasonable but like I said when he dismisses him with the "yeah right" is where he loses me.

If it went something like
    Tech: You have to sideload it
    OP: No, it IS running Android
    Tech: Are you sure? It's a BlackBerry, so it runs BB10.
    OP: No it is running Marshmallow (or Lollipop) - see.

I'd have let all this slide.
    04-18-17 02:14 PM
    So? Is the phone he handed him an Android up to the current standards (Lollipop, Marshmallow or Nougat) --> Yes --> Does it work?
    --> Yes --> therefore he should service it (install the app).

Should he expect to run into us 1% of people who could cause a problem? The probabilities of that are slim, but he should be ready. Like I said, I don't care if he had never seen a BlackBerry Android in his life - it's that he thinks the very notion that a BlackBerry running Android is impossible by saying "yeah right" is where I call him unprofessional and not capable to the fullest extent.
    I just had a Verizon rep call yesterday trying to get me to upgrade our plan because we had been getting close to our data limits. She confirmed I had a BlackBerry Q10, then said, "I notice there is a Samsung Galaxy S4 on the account also (my wife's phone). The Galaxy must be using all the data because it is a smartphone." Her company sells BlackBerry phones; she should know their own products. But it happens.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 03:11 PM
    The problem with the guy's conduct is less about the BlackBerry, as far as I am concerned, and more about the guy not coming down off his "expert pedestal" so he could properly service his customer. He wasn't willing to allow as how he just might not know everything. I have had this type of encounter before. People who are willing to admit they don't know it all, and are willing to listen are the ones who often come to know more than many, because they are willing to learn from others.
    megafan2000 and bbslide like this.
    04-18-17 05:55 PM
    I always get "Why are you still using a Blackberry?" comment. I reply back "I am a person who likes to get things done, that is why I have a Blackberry!" The day I am more interested in pinning a recipe or spying on my neighbors vacation then I will change phones. I am using a Classic and I love BB10 but I am excited to get a KEYone, hopefully on Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-17 08:23 AM
    Was typing on the pkb on my PRIV and my son said "they made a smart phone dumb!"
    Go to your room!
    04-19-17 09:07 AM
    If you're outside the mainstream then you're going to invite comments. Good or bad.

I used to defend and promote blackberry. Was in similar situations. I work in tech.

Then when I started using newer Android phones I found that at least in my personal view, a lot of the negative comments I had heard were correct.
    04-29-17 12:49 AM
191 ... 678