Well, after deciding against the Classic, I was surfing the newly listed BlackBerries on eBay, and came across a Passport SE, in nice condition, for CAD $210 shipped. I couldn't resist. So.... I guess I'll finally get to play with a Passport.... Should be here in about a week.
    Well good luck with that one! Watch out for issue where battery drains abnormally fast when it is OFF. Sounds like a common problem. Just means you can't really store it and forget it.

I tried using my SE for a fully daily the other day but so far I can't get around the sheer size of the thing. It is really awkward to handle just pulling it in and out of even large jacket pockets.

Once in hand it does feel pretty good, if a bit wide...the lack of alt key for numbers is annoying, the swipe to get at the onscreen numbers key helps a bit. And that capacitive keyboards great.
    03-26-17 10:18 AM
    Well good luck with that one! Watch out for issue where battery drains abnormally fast when it is OFF. Sounds like a common problem. Just means you can't really store it and forget it.

I tried using my SE for a fully daily the other day but so far I can't get around the sheer size of the thing. It is really awkward to handle just pulling it in and out of even large jacket pockets.

Once in hand it does feel pretty good, if a bit wide...the lack of alt key for numbers is annoying, the swipe to get at the onscreen numbers key helps a bit. And that capacitive keyboards great.
    Thanks for the info. I've read about that battery drain issue and it sounds like a real pain. I wonder if it affects all versions of the OS? I have no idea yet whether it's been upgraded to the latest 10.3.3. I've upgraded my Q10, and it seems to run a little warmer, even after a week. It doesn't seem like the upgrade is really worth it. I don't even know what a NIAP is

I suppose if I had to store it for a while I could pull the back cover and disconnect the battery.

Have you had the signal/calling issues? That seems even worse. I suppose I should have visited the Passport forums before buying, but it's too late now.

At worst, it can always go back on eBay (with any flaws described). There's always someone looking for parts, etc.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 03-26-17 at 10:49 AM.
    03-26-17 10:28 AM
    I have my 9900 set up so that the digital clock displays as soon as it drops into charge position, therefore I haven't found it necessary to use the event sound - just an alternative approach.

That large flip digital clock is one of the things I really like about my 9900. I find that 'always one' mode really useful as the Bold sits on my desk at work, enabling a cursory glance to easily check the time and/or date, and also ensuring my 9900 is well charged when I need to grab & go
    I love bedside mode, but with event sounds on, it produced quite a startling sound when the charging is complete. It is probably not loud in daytime but in the middle of the night, it wakes me up. For this reason and others, I experimented turning on and off but it's been on now.

The bedside mode with analogue clock is one of the things I cherish most about the 9900. It is also great in car, as I always miss "analogue" clock, not digital. More expensive cars have analogues :-).

I think the clock dims in 10 seconds or so in bedside mode (set it so that it immediately goes into the bedside mode when it is plugged into charger).
    03-26-17 12:26 PM
    How is your Wi-Fi range compared to your other devices? When I'm at a certain location I always sit at the same place and my iPhone has no problem getting the Wi-Fi signal but if I'm streaming radio on the same tune in radio app on the 9900 it does cut out the times and the signal is pretty weak.
    The Wi-Fi on the Bold is not as strong as the Q10. My Q10 functions well from the far end of the house, where the Bold 9900 loses the signal completely.
    03-26-17 10:47 PM
    The Wi-Fi on the Bold is not as strong as the Q10. My Q10 functions well from the far end of the house, where the Bold 9900 loses the signal completely.
    Personally, I find the WiFi capability more reliable on my 9900 than with my Q10. Not so much in terms of range/sensitivity but with respect to connecting to (and switching between) known & saved WiFi networks – when on the road and especially when moving through my University (workplace) buildings.
    There are a few hotspot WiFi credentials that my Q10 has consistently failed miserably to save & connect with; usually more complex, secure, WPA/WPA2 enterprise connections. The 9900 has had no such trouble, reliably connecting to different hotspots as I move through University buildings.
    03-27-17 03:03 AM
    I remember some talk in here last year about someone cleaning the dust out of their Antenna and it increased the range of their wifi.

I imagine taking the plate and KB off would just be the start to get to the antenna located below the KB.

Have you ever seen the antenna?

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-27-17 03:39 AM
    hi all

im getting "this connection could not be verified" while browsing some websites due to expired certificates

may I know what can I do to fix this error?
    I think this is one of the problems that afflict users of BB OS7 in 2017 and beyond. I regularly get security connection warnings when using the 9900 browser.
    AFAIK all you can do is keeping clearing them* ... or change to a more modern OS & smartphone

*I would also love to hear of a better method if any Bold users have this cracked
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 03-27-17 at 09:49 AM.
    03-27-17 05:43 AM
    KeyPassBB2 is what I have installed on my 9900. You can grab it here:
    KeePassBB(2) Download Mirror - KeePass
    Just FYI, you have to use an older version of the desktop software to be able to transfer the database over to the BB device you are using. You need 2.0.17 on the desktop. The latest is 2.35. I exported the info from 2.3x to a text file & re-imported into the 2.x.17 version. Made sure everything was correct before transfering the database file over to my SD card in my 9900. The app works fine then.
    I m using the 'generic' Keepass for J2ME is compatible with the latest v1 of keepass - no export plugins needed, plus I found that opens quicker the keepass dbase than the (obsolete) KeePassBB, the only negative with the J2ME, is that the icons are too small, but is possible to unpack the java archive and resize all of the PNGs to 32x32 (or bigger )
    03-27-17 08:49 AM
    Personally, I find the WiFi capability more reliable on my 9900 than with my Q10. Not so much in terms of range/sensitivity but with respect to connecting to (and switching between) known & saved WiFi networks – when on the road and especially when moving through my University (workplace) buildings.
    There are a few hotspot WiFi credentials that my Q10 has consistently failed miserably to save & connect with; usually more complex, secure, WPA/WPA2 enterprise connections. The 9900 has had no such trouble, reliably connecting to different hotspots as I move through University buildings.
    I was definitely only referring to range only, although my Q10 demonstrates no difficulties with wifi (even eduroam, which can be a bit flaky on other devices).

That being said, the 9900 is much better than the Q10 at connecting to my particular bluetooth devices. I don't know if that's the same for everyone. The 9900 will pair automatically every time. The Q10? Let's just say I have a 3.5mm cable in the car for one particular device. :|
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    03-27-17 09:10 AM
    I was definitely only referring to range only, although my Q10 demonstrates no difficulties with wifi (even eduroam, which can be a bit flaky on other devices).
    Strange that, it's eduroam in particular that my Q10 simply will not play with, whereas the 9900 connects just fine.
    I also like the way the I can use the third party WiFi Manager (PingDev Ltd.) to turn my WiFi on and off by geo-location, saving battery power etc. I've not found a simple way to do that on my Q10 but then to honest I haven't invested the same effort in the Q10, it's bigger NX1 battery requires far less nursing than a JM1 to get through the day
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-27-17 09:47 AM
    Thanks for the info. I've read about that battery drain issue and it sounds like a real pain. I wonder if it affects all versions of the OS? I have no idea yet whether it's been upgraded to the latest 10.3.3. I've upgraded my Q10, and it seems to run a little warmer, even after a week. It doesn't seem like the upgrade is really worth it. I don't even know what a NIAP is

I suppose if I had to store it for a while I could pull the back cover and disconnect the battery.

Have you had the signal/calling issues? That seems even worse. I suppose I should have visited the Passport forums before buying, but it's too late now.

At worst, it can always go back on eBay (with any flaws described). There's always someone looking for parts, etc.
    The SE is a fine phone if you like the width and you use it all the time. I have no functional issues with it. It's just huge & doesn't seem that much faster than my Q10 or my 9900. The battery issue has hit me on 10.3.2 and 10.3.3, I updated right away but it obviously stored at the factory on 10.3.1 ok, though I understand some people have seen it there too.

My Q10 is just fine on 10.3.3
    Odd thing, maybe I'm on my 9900 too much but I swear my Q10 (typing on it right now) keyboard is frowning at me, curving down at the edges. The 9900 is straight to my eyes now? :-)

Posted via CB10
    03-28-17 06:59 PM
    The SE is a fine phone if you like the width and you use it all the time. I have no functional issues with it. It's just huge & doesn't seem that much faster than my Q10 or my 9900. The battery issue has hit me on 10.3.2 and 10.3.3, I updated right away but it obviously stored at the factory on 10.3.1 ok, though I understand some people have seen it there too.

My Q10 is just fine on 10.3.3
    Odd thing, maybe I'm on my 9900 too much but I swear my Q10 (typing on it right now) keyboard is frowning at me, curving down at the edges. The 9900 is straight to my eyes now? :-)

Posted via CB10
    It's those progressive lenses
    03-28-17 09:22 PM
    Our 9900s are ergonomic masterpieces. They represent the ultimate culmination of many years of evolutionary experience. Experience that ML consciously chose to abandon with BB10 after reading "The Innovator's Dilemma", it seems. Go figure. Lol.

AFAIK, 9900 was blessed with the best specs and feature set of BBOS. Future proofed enough to provide surprisingly relevant functionality to this day. AFAIK, including the 2014 re-release, 9900 has been BB's most successful, possibly most profitable and almost certainly longest production handset. Since, AFAIK, BB10 never reached profitability, it might be argued 9900 was one of the last profitable BlackBerrys??

That said, early 9900s had their share of reliability issues. I suspect that much of the ill will directed toward it from the "Troll-osphere" results from those early day experiences. The issues eventually got sorted out at OS level if not thru user mitigation strategies. Our "old" 9900s are BETTER today than they were in fall of 2011!

I don't like the device because I'm a fan. I'm a fan because I LIKE the device! I like the proficient efficiency it eagerly assists with most relevant tasks! BB just got it right with 9900.

I have a Classic, PassPort and Z30 sitting on my desk. 9900 is what's in my hand. Guess that says it all.
    I am typing from my beloved BB9900, and I love the ergonomics of this extraordinary device. Unfortunately as Whatsapp will switch off in june, (Viber stopped many months ago), I had (sadly) to buy another device. I couldn't buy Apple or Samsung etc, so I choose another Blackberry, the Priv (used, of course, because it is too expensive); well, it is so big that I regret my purchase. I think Keyone would have been perfect, although still too big for my predilection of one hand typing, but the device is still not on the market.
    03-29-17 06:13 AM
    Has anyone had any issues with email updates about this thread? i stopped getting them about a week or two ago, how do i get them back?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-29-17 07:23 AM
    I am typing from my beloved BB9900, and I love the ergonomics of this extraordinary device. Unfortunately as Whatsapp will switch off in june, (Viber stopped many months ago), I had (sadly) to buy another device. I couldn't buy Apple or Samsung etc, so I choose another Blackberry, the Priv (used, of course, because it is too expensive); well, it is so big that I regret my purchase. I think Keyone would have been perfect, although still too big for my predilection of one hand typing, but the device is still not on the market.
    Yeah, the surprise, imo, is how many years it took third parties to abandon 9900 AFTER BB themselves abandoned us. Starting with that STUPIDLY premature "EOL announcement" about a month after 9900 introduction. Late 2011. Heads should have rolled over that idiotic statement, imo. They most certainly would have in MY company.

9900 never enjoyed the dignity of being displaced by truly improved products. Instead, it's suffered prolonged euthanasia thru abandonment by its BBRY step parents. Step parents still enjoying relatively high margin revenue that BIS still generates. Revenue that might have justified at least some browser security updates, imo. Legacy being a hardware linked "subscription" business model.

Now they're chasing Google's "advertising" business model. I wish them well but RIM/BBRY's history with "advertising" speaks for itself. Can they succeed in software subscription? Their history with "barely baked" crazy late software releases speaks volumes there, also. Imo. BB10's hardware business model turned in to a total write off, afaik. No more to be said, there.

How different might things be today, had RIM locked BB10 devs in a room with BBOS devs and just put a friggn toolbelt on Q10??!!!! In 2012!!!!

Oh well, maybe time travel will find its way into calendar app on some future android version... lol.
    03-29-17 08:23 AM
    CloudExplorer for OneDrive/Google Drive both work fine on my 9900. They look/work identical, but only for the respected service. I've used them to copy files back & forth w/ no problems. I even had two-factor authentication setup on my accounts. I'm just getting off work, but in the morning I can post a few screenshots if you like. :-)
    Purchased Cloud Explorer for Google Drive via BBWorld, and it works just great!
    Many thanks for the recommendation, this is going to be a very useful tool for me
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-29-17 08:26 AM
    ...How different might things be today, had RIM locked BB10 devs in a room with BBOS devs and just put a friggn toolbelt on Q10??!!!! In 2012!!!!

Oh well, maybe time travel will find its way into calendar app on some future android version... lol.
    Looking back, it's hard to understand how disconnected BlackBerry was from its own Super Fans; ignorant of the very BBOS features users LOVED -- like the toolbelt and BBOS calendar.

I hope for a future where BlackBerry 10 is an option. As someone disgusted enough to ditch my Sammy to go back to a Bold until the Z10 came out, I resent being painted into the Blandroid corner.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    03-29-17 08:56 AM

Looking back, it's hard to understand how disconnected BlackBerry was from its own Super Fans; ignorant of the very BBOS features users LOVED -- like the toolbelt and BBOS calendar.
    Well, that disconnect was at least partly by intentional strategy. Implemented after Mike read "The Innovator's Dilemma", it seems. Problem was, our 9900s weren't so much a product of "innovation" but mostly a product of experience driven evolutionary development. A distinction lost on Mike, and others, it seems.

In fact, as things turned out, the REAL innovation of optical trackpad got abandoned in pursuit of mimicking Apple's innovation. Imo. Mimicry that did little to interest Apple customers while thoroughly alienating far too many LOYAL BB users. Imo.

Sitting here with D60 in right hand and Classic in left, I'm asking myself: What, precisely, does touch interface do better than, or even as well as, trackpad?? ???
    03-29-17 09:38 AM
    Has anyone had any issues with email updates about this thread? i stopped getting them about a week or two ago, how do i get them back?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Still getting mine. Never asked for it but haven't felt need to disable. Still working here, fwiw.
    03-29-17 09:54 AM
    Purchased Cloud Explorer for Google Drive via BBWorld, and it works just great!
    Many thanks for the recommendation, this is going to be a very useful tool for me
    +1 for Cloud Explorer. Some have pointed out that it's a "third party" app and might be something to consider if using for security sensitive pursuits.?? Maybe so, but I've never heard of a validated case of such problems with it. Fwiw. I use it and dropbox a LOT for moving non-sensitive stuff around. Putin is perfectly welcome to read my thousands of control cabinet connection spreadsheets! Lol. Maybe time he wastes on that is time he's not devoting to other mischief? Lol.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    03-29-17 10:04 AM
    Anyone else try accessing CB forums thru native browser or Opera? Both have become unusable at CB on my 9930. Other sites still work as always. Only CB has become inaccessible on my 9930. Go figure.

Haven't tried 9900 & haven't asked coworkers but Opera Mini, in particular, was working SO nicely at CB just a few weeks ago. Now... simply won't load. Forced to Classic, for now. Maybe time to try CB App, again... lol.
    03-29-17 10:11 AM

Sitting here with D60 in right hand and Classic in left, I'm asking myself: What, precisely, does touch interface do better than, or even as well as, trackpad?? ???
    Getting your fingerprints.

Posted from my  Passport
    idssteve likes this.
    03-29-17 10:39 AM
    I m using the 'generic' Keepass for J2ME is compatible with the latest v1 of keepass - no export plugins needed, plus I found that opens quicker the keepass dbase than the (obsolete) KeePassBB, the only negative with the J2ME, is that the icons are too small, but is possible to unpack the java archive and resize all of the PNGs to 32x32 (or bigger )
    Funny you should mention the size of the PNG's. I opened both Keepass for J2ME & KeyPassBB2 to check out the size of the PNG's. They're both the same size. 16x16. I'll give Keepass for J2ME a try this weekend. Thanks for the info! Take care.

Steve, K4SQI
    uxWare likes this.
    03-29-17 10:53 AM
    Awesome and yeah EVENT SOUNDS is REALLY a must when using the pod charger because it is a pain to look at the teeny tiny battery gauge in the top right corner to actually know that is is charging and sitting properly or not.

I still cannot believe you spelled "Saskatchewan" correctly

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    Copy/Paste is a wonderful thing! LOL

Steve, K4SQI
    03-29-17 10:55 AM

This has been one of the biggest reasons I've held off on getting another Passport. When I had one, I loved the size of the screen but didn't give it enough time to get used to the keyboard. I hope you have good luck with yours. I'm still on the fence about getting another one. Take care.

Steve, K4SQI
    03-29-17 10:57 AM
8,754 ... 208209210211212 ...