I bought an unlocked AT&T Bold 9900, I finally decided to give Blackberry a try and I have little enthusiasm about BB10 or the android BBs. I did research, but not enough to know that MetroPCS doesn't support Blackberry anymore. I tried to have customer service activate it, but they would not do it. I'm a full-time college student without funds. I have ADHD and feel like BBOS will help me keep organized without being distracted and for what its worth, I actually love the UI and am not a biggest fan of android or BB10, even though I think they are ok.

I don't need BIS, all I need is sms and phone. They should be able to do that. Does anybody have any advice? I really cannot afford the new line-up.

By the way, I've reviewed the forum posts. How can I do this in a way where its actually possible? If I give an IEMI and they see its a BlackBerry I'm just gonna say no its an android? Awkward. I really don't want to just sell this thing and take it as a loss, because I've wanted a BlackBerry since they've been out.
    Last edited by wuberry; 03-25-17 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Details, revising
    03-24-17 05:17 PM
    I bought a bold 9900, I finally decided to give Blackberry a try and I have very little enthusiasm about BB10 or the newer android contaminate phones. I did research, but not enough to know that MetroPCS doesn't support Blackberry anymore. I tried to have customer service activate it, but they would not do it. I'm a college student and broke. I have ADHD and I feel like BBOS will help me keep organized without being distracted and for what its worth, I love the UI and am not a big fan of android or BB10.

I don't care about BIS, I just want talk and text at least. They should be able to do that. Does anybody have any advice? I really cannot afford a Q5, Q10, or Classic. I'm not the market for the visual design of the Passport.

By the way, I've reviewed the forum posts. How can I do this in a way where its actually possible? If I give an IEMI and they see its a BlackBerry I'm just gonna say no its an android? Awkward. I really don't want to just sell this thing and take it as a loss, because I've wanted a BlackBerry since they've been out.
    From what I can see (from a little Googling), MetroPCS has the 1900 MHz 3G band in some regions, so in those places an AT&T Bold 9900 should work for talk and text. In some markets they have the AWS 1700/2100 bands. So in those markets a T-Mobile 9900 would work.
    In the end, it looks like it's going to boil down to whether you have the right phone to access MetroPCS's towers in your area.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 03-24-17 at 10:56 PM.
    wuberry likes this.
    03-24-17 10:46 PM
    Wuberry, sorry that your Bold is not working yet.
    I am not familiar with the carrier there. But not supporting BlackBerry doesn't necessary mean your Bold can't not work with that carrier. From what you wrote, there are a couple of things which need to be cleared first.

- Activating your phone: is your Bold locked or unlocked? If is is locked, your carrier may not like to unlocked it and hence not supporting your Blackberry. On your Bold, go to Options/ Device/ Advance System Settings/ SIM Card. On this screen, type the following letters: mepd. When you type, these letters will not be displayed on screen. After keying in these letter, another screen will come up. Go to Network and see if it is Inactive or Disable.
    If it is active, your Bold is locked and you will need an unlock code. I can help you with that.
    If is is inactive or disable, your phone is unlock and is ready to use with any compatible network. You will have to check for this compatibility then.
    Check the phone lock status and get back here.

Posted from my  Passport
    anon(8063781) and wuberry like this.
    03-25-17 12:25 AM
    I believe so, I have used international dual-sim phones in the past that are incapable of true LTE frequencies. I've used Metro on phones that at best were capable of 2G speeds, as well as HSPA and HSPA+. In my area, I'm very well convinced that I should have no issues using an unlocked AT&T 9900. Even if Band 2 isn't as popular as Band 4 from what I could find.
    03-25-17 03:19 PM
    No, that's perfectly okay! If I have to sell the phone I will, I became excited prematurely without researching extensively enough about the compatibility. Shame though, if it can be used here and the devices just aren't "supported" and customer service is unwilling to connect it, its disappointing.

I followed your instructions, thank you by the way, I already assumed the phone was unlocked because I purchased it as "unlocked" but its good to be sure, it is definitely unlocked and is ready to be activated.
    03-25-17 03:25 PM
    So I'm not sure that I understand the way setting up a phone on MetroPCS works.

Here in Canada, I buy a SIM, activate it, and throw it in any phone I want (I don't have BIS), and switch it to another phone whenever I want. Is it the same with MetroPCS?

I realize that activating BIS would be another step, but if I understand you correctly, MetroPCS doesn't have BlackBerry data plans anymore.

In theory, you should be able to activate a SIM card, put it in the phone, and get calling and texting immediately, without altering any settings.

Actually, that's wrong. You need to do two things (just to make sure the basic cell network settings are correct):

1. On the main screen, scroll up and highlight the top bar with the time in it. Click on that. Make sure the mobile network box is ticked.

2. Then scroll down and click on Networks and Connections. Click Mobile Network. Make sure the Network Mode is set to one of the settings that includes "3G/H+".

Then, if you have service, we could work on getting your data connection working.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 03-25-17 at 06:30 PM.
    03-25-17 06:16 PM
    Unfortunately the way that MetroPCS operates because it used to be only CDMA is even with being GSM now, you must officially change your device on file to match the one that you intend to use. Love to keep things simple. You can't just move your sim from one phone to another like you could with another carrier. They must process the change over the phone or online/in person for a fee.

I know that if I had service, I could probably get the data connection working by inputting the APN settings. I just wonder if I would be able to even have them do this if I called and said it was an android phone. It is worth a try but it would be really awkward to call again and ask them to change it if I called the day before and gave them an IMEI for a Blackberry and now I'm saying its actually an android. I guess I will try though. Cannot hurt even if its uncomfortable/they're uncooperative.
    Last edited by wuberry; 03-25-17 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Revising, additional information
    03-25-17 06:43 PM
    Unfortunately the way that MetroPCS operates because it used to be only CDMA is even with being GSM now, you must officially change your device on file to match the one that you intend to use.
    Wow. That's really unfortunate. I'd port out if I was in that situation (and didn't have a contract).
    03-25-17 07:16 PM
    That in itself is tedious and inconvenient but I accept it for the bill, my line is very affordable. If I cannot resolve this I may just change carriers but it would be extremely inconvenient as my line is part of a plan my parents have and leaving would mean an alteration to the plan. Customers should be allowed to choose which phones they are allowed to use and not.
    03-25-17 10:02 PM
    That in itself is tedious and inconvenient but I accept it for the bill, my line is very affordable. If I cannot resolve this I may just change carriers but it would be extremely inconvenient as my line is part of a plan my parents have and leaving would mean an alteration to the plan. Customers should be allowed to choose which phones they are allowed to use and not.
    No, it makes sense to stay on a family plan. That hadn't occurred to me. Hopefully they'll activate the Bold if you try again.
    03-25-17 10:22 PM
    The IMEI number contains information of the original carrier, producer, and several other things. If they are equipped well enough, they can read that the phone is a Blackberry.

You may like to call again and try with a different staff. If lucky, you'll get connected with someone who knows what BlackBerry is.
    03-26-17 01:41 AM
    If you only need phone and SMS, wouldn't it be easier to just go with a flip phone of some sort? Activating old BlackBerry devices can be such a hassle.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 01:46 AM
    I tried again to no avail, but I will keep calling and may eventually call corporate to get a more detailed response about this, obviously corporate will probably refuse to connect my BlackBerry, I just want a more thorough explanation than "we don't support them anymore." I'm a nice guy, I don't get mad on the phone. I just really would love to make this work.
    03-26-17 01:56 AM
    Unfortunately because they do know it is a Blackberry, they refuse to connect it. Knowing that I don't need BIS isn't helpful, because I said this many times but I think their policy does not allow them to activate Blackberry phones anymore. In that case, which I assumed it to be, saying the phone is a phone which it is not or alternatively as a contingency, asking them kindly to activate it as a different phone has not worked for me. I don't mean any disrespect but yeah, I definitely would say they don't really know what they're doing in this particular case or maybe they do and are just trying to stick with what is considered correct.
    03-26-17 01:59 AM
    If you only need phone and SMS, wouldn't it be easier to just go with a flip phone of some sort? Activating old BlackBerry devices can be such a hassle.

Posted via CB10
    It has been a huge hassle, but it has been a hassle I've been willing to go through. I'm a very simple person, don't like hassles but I've been wanting this phone and a Blackberry in general since they have been out. I don't have the funds to buy another phone right now and this is the phone that I wanted. If all I needed or wanted was a flip phone I wouldn't have bought a Blackberry or be on this forum. Unfortunately, it isn't so much its an old Blackberry, its that it is a Blackberry in general. MetroPCS doesn't support them anymore. Old or New. I don't want a flip phone. Feature phones can do very little in comparison to a smartphone like a Blackberry.
    03-26-17 02:04 AM
    You can purchase a Sim from them.
    It's $10 , however the Bold is not part of their compatible devices. ( see their drop down list) .

https://www.metropcs.com/shop/phones...epaid-sim-card

If you have a friend with an unlocked phone you can borrow ( compatible of course ) then you can try setting it up there and once completed you could transfer it to the BlackBerry.

Btw, check the bottom of page for guide in setting up Sim.

Posted via CB10
    wuberry likes this.
    03-29-17 07:26 PM
    You can purchase a Sim from them.
    It's $10 , however the Bold is not part of their compatible devices. ( see their drop down list) .

https://www.metropcs.com/shop/phones...epaid-sim-card

If you have a friend with an unlocked phone you can borrow ( compatible of course ) then you can try setting it up there and once completed you could transfer it to the BlackBerry.

Btw, check the bottom of page for guide in setting up Sim.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the suggestion, Goodayeh! Unfortunately, this will most likely result in nothing. I have a sim card from them, but if I tried to activate a phone using a new one, it simply would not work. I would have to transfer over my phone to that sim, unless I want to pay for a new line or a separate account.

Okay, sure. I just have them transfer over the service to the new sim, except they must register the phone with the sim for them to work together. I cannot just pop my sim into an unlocked phone, I really don't like that but that's the way that they run their network.

If I register it with an unlocked phone, it will only be compatible with the IMEI of that phone that isn't the BlackBerrry. Which doesn't seem right, but believe me, they have everything set up that way.

I contacted a local store, but I really don't have the money to be spending for just a transfer. They can do it, they just won't. Which is okay, I will pay for it when I can. Until then I have been using it with wifi, I'm just missing a portion of functionality and convenience.
    04-01-17 12:57 AM