Not sure where to post this but here.

So let's take a time out for a minute and stop focusing on BlackBerry's publicity on getting out of the hardware business.

What would it look like if BlackBerry was providing their software experience for other vendors? There are a whole host of possibilities.

For starters Alcatel seems like a safe bet to be making a 2017 device with the BB branded Android OS sold as an Alcatel device, but what a coup if Samsung gave BB the nod for an "industrial" hardened version of the BB experience on their Galaxy Active series.

edit: I don't see this as the end of the road for BlackBerry. I see BlackBerry as the change agent in the smartphone industry, once again. Albeit taking the long road around.

Just some thoughts..
    Powdah likes this.
    11-11-16 02:04 PM
    Hmm.. interesting. Hadn't really thought about that. Granted, I should have but eh..
    blackburberry and Powdah like this.
    11-11-16 03:23 PM
    You are basically restating BlackBerry's software strategy with a couple of examples.

There are a couple of advantages they get by pivoting their business that way:
    A) Hardware economy of scale
    B) regional production (aka local content)
    C) less exposure in their balance sheets
    D) probably quicker product releases
    X) setting themselves up to not compete, but potentially be value-added service on top of hardware from Samsung et.al., laying the ground work for being acquired by them.

Downsides are:
    A) less revenue from hardware (per phone, but higher margin)
    B) probably less differentiated hardware

I have been of the opinion that Samsung should buy BlackBerry, basically for IP, QNX + BES and leverage that for IOT (cars, tv's, washing machines etc.), but since they bought Harman I'm a little more skeptical that it will happen
    11-17-16 01:33 AM
    I believe Alcatel is more interested in building their own brand than license the BlackBerry name. Also, given the current BlackBerry OEM relationship with Alcatel, if they were interested BlackBerry would have made a full court press on them to announce at the time BlackBerry announced they were leaving the phone business.

In the current relationship Alcatel assumes no risk. Why would they switch to a new model that would make them assume all the risk?
    11-19-16 09:42 AM
    I believe Alcatel is more interested in building their own brand than license the BlackBerry name. Also, given the current BlackBerry OEM relationship with Alcatel, if they were interested BlackBerry would have made a full court press on them to announce at the time BlackBerry announced they were leaving the phone business.

In the current relationship Alcatel assumes no risk. Why would they switch to a new model that would make them assume all the risk?
    But then I'm thinking that TCL is starting to push their own name and might even drop the Alcatel Brand....

But BlackBerry brings them nothing... other than a damaged reputation and extra cost.
    11-21-16 07:43 AM
    But then I'm thinking that TCL is starting to push their own name and might even drop the Alcatel Brand....

But BlackBerry brings them nothing... other than a damaged reputation and extra cost.
    ...and a chance to sell devices, which have already been designed, with a hardened software solution, which BlackBerry provides, that expands the market to also include enterprises.

Clearly there's an upside for TCL here, or else they wouldn't have done it.
    11-21-16 09:35 AM
    ...and a chance to sell devices, which have already been designed, with a hardened software solution, which BlackBerry provides, that expands the market to also include enterprises.

Clearly there's an upside for TCL here, or else they wouldn't have done it.
    All TCL has done to date is build phones under contract for BlackBerry. BlackBerry assumes all the risk. BlackBerry still has to market, sell, distribute and support the phones which includes all warranty work.

In the new model a BlackBerry OEM will be required to do all of the above activities. If the OEM decides to license software from BlackBerry in addition to the name. BlackBerry will deliver some android apps. But Blackberry's big responsibility in the new model is to sign licensing deals and collect money.

To date TCL has not shown any public interest in becoming a BlackBerry OEM.
    11-21-16 11:41 AM
    Samsung has has enough of being tied down by licensing other companies products. If they need it, they will engineer around it, ie Samsung Focus instead of licensing Hub or buy it, Harman.
    11-21-16 01:07 PM
    I'm only throwing out examples of how BlackBerry might move forward and remain within their new objective of being software focused in this case, the mobile industry, and not any other fork of their enterprise.

And I'm saying is that it's not beyond the realm of possibilities that other device manufacturers [who ever they might be] could install BlackBerry OS in one or more devices they build. As examples only, I put Alcatel/TCL and Samsung brands forward.

It's my belief that any model by any recognized manufacturer that did this, would be well received.

It's also my belief that no mater if consumers or crackberrians love them or hate them, all eyes in this industry are still on BlackBerry and what they'll do next because they are definitely positioned to change up the industry paradigms right now.
    11-21-16 05:10 PM
    Would love to see a BB Samsung 8. Would give me the Passport width
    blackburberry and masterful like this.
    11-21-16 05:37 PM
    Would love to see a BB Samsung 8. Would give me the Passport width
    Blackberry has already stated the companies that will do licensing will be small companies.
    11-21-16 06:28 PM

Alcatel has been acquired by Nokia and the focus is on telecom and cellular infrastructure. Is Nokia now selling Alcatel branded phones made by TCL?
    03-10-17 10:35 PM
    There's no way BlackBerry would allow it, it would be a suicide. Besides, Alcatel users are probably not even aware of the BB HUB+ suite.
    03-11-17 04:02 AM
    > And I'm saying is that it's not beyond the realm of possibilities that other device manufacturers [who ever they might be] could install BlackBerry OS in one or more devices they build. As examples only, I put Alcatel/TCL and Samsung brands forward.

I can see this at the low-end but we'll never see a Samsung do this - they have their own version which they are very happy with - and outsales Blackberry to every market including the secure market.
    03-11-17 06:29 AM
    what is the benefit to hide BB inside something that is not really BB? it is like drinking bourbon out of coke bottle... you only do that on camping, not on aircraft of business trip. (you possibly want the small bottle show of "Woodford Reserve", not coke... before you hand over your 7.50).
    03-11-17 07:34 AM
    Alcatel has been acquired by Nokia and the focus is on telecom and cellular infrastructure. Is Nokia now selling Alcatel branded phones made by TCL?
    TCL license the brand for smartphones...

TCL did much the same with TVs, used some old brands (RCA Tompson)to open doors for them.... Then pretty much dropped those for their own brand. Which is the brand they spend money on marketing.
    03-12-17 08:04 PM