Unfortunately I am unable to find a way to backup to PC. It might be possible after hacking the phone but it is not simple. You can not backup a Lumia phone the same way you do a BlackBerry.

How about heating? Is Lumia 950xl heating a lot in normal use?
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-22-17 02:20 AM
    Unfortunately I am unable to find a way to backup to PC. It might be possible after hacking the phone but it is not simple. You can not backup a Lumia phone the same way you do a BlackBerry.

How about heating? Is Lumia 950xl heating a lot in normal use?
    Regrettable about the back up.

The phone has been cool. Running skype on it all day, some calls and checking messages. I make sure to close apps I'm not using. I used bing maps to navigate on Saturday, didn't notice it getting hot. I don't FB or twit so maybe my usage is not average. It does get warm on the rapid charger, but that is expected.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    02-22-17 08:11 AM
    Does windows phone 10 have a file explorer?

Posted via Nokia 3310
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-22-17 12:51 PM
    Yes. There is file explorer.
    02-22-17 01:35 PM
    Do you use Skype for Business (formerly Lync)? I have been thinking about dropping my cell # altogether and going 100% soft phone with Microsoft, and I'd love to hear how well that works on the Lumia.

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-22-17 03:04 PM
    Does windows phone 10 have a file explorer?

Posted via Nokia 3310
    It certainly does. Same functionality as BB10.
    02-23-17 03:40 AM
    Do you use Skype for Business (formerly Lync)? I have been thinking about dropping my cell # altogether and going 100% soft phone with Microsoft, and I'd love to hear how well that works on the Lumia.

Posted via CB10
    I have not used Skype for Business. I wish they had a free trial or no annual commitment.
    02-23-17 03:44 AM
    It certainly does. Same functionality as BB10.
    Does it have all the cloud storage integration?

Posted via Nokia 3310
    02-23-17 06:09 AM
    Does it have all the cloud storage integration?

Posted via Nokia 3310
    I don't know what you mean by all, but OneDrive and OneNote work well as they should on a MS platform.
    02-23-17 06:25 AM
    If MS could make a true HUB experience like in BB10 then it would be compelling but the BB10 lockscreen notifications and HUB is why I came to BB10. I don't think giving up the critical points that attracted me is a solution ot option.

Apps not being any better on Windows 10 Phone is also a non starter solution

Backups can be done in a cloud service or on a computer or if you really want to be sure you can just back it al up on your SD card. So backup point is mute.
    Also when it comes to contacts I do prefer to sync with either Hotmail or Gmail so that they are always updated and synced therefore you never have to risk losing them. If you have concerns about privacy when we talk about contacts let me assure you that someone has already shared your info with someone, you just can't stop that sorry.

I started out on a virtual keyboard and never thought I could become accustomed to a PK but here I am and now after attempting to migrate back to the full VK I just get frustrated. I don't want to lose my Passport and I fear that if no one dares make another PK on a phone then I will be forced one day to move to BlackBerry's Android solution, but that's far off yet........... I hope.

I understand wanting to try a different phone and how it can be fun trying to see if you can figure out how to make it work or work better than what you have but for myself I have resigned to enjoying my Passport and not tormenting myself with what if's.
    My eyes are open I just chosse not to chase my tail.

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC and ratfinkstooley like this.
    02-23-17 06:51 AM
    Cold you please explain how to perform a backup on Pc from a win10 phone?
    02-23-17 09:52 AM
    Cold you please explain how to perform a backup on Pc from a win10 phone?
    Sorry if that is directed at me I was making that point in general backups are done on mobile phones in general. I am not a windows expert so I am in no way saying I'm a Win 10 phone guru. Just saying there are many options at hand today.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 10:16 AM
    If MS could make a true HUB experience like in BB10 then it would be compelling but the BB10 lockscreen notifications and HUB is why I came to BB10.
    Definitely agree BB10 hub is the chit.

I started out on a virtual keyboard and never thought I could become accustomed to a PK but here I am and now after attempting to migrate back to the full VK I just get frustrated.
    Yeah, VKB frustrates me too. I particularly don't like how you lose half the screen real estate when typing.
    meattray likes this.
    02-23-17 11:22 AM
    Definitely agree BB10 hub is the chit.

Yeah, VKB frustrates me too. I particularly don't like how you lose half the screen real estate when typing.
    'minuum' keyboard for android does a decent job of preserving screen real estate

Posted via Nokia 3310
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-23-17 06:19 PM
    Discovering my 950 XL so far.

At the moment, liked a few new (for me) features:

1. Don't get critics for a lock button position, since I unlock 950 XL by double tapping on screen, and lock it by double tapping on navigation bar.

2. Love the feature, where in vertical position Edge shows mobile version of page, and in horizontal position Edge shows full version of page.

3. Typing becomes as fast, as on BB10.

4. Blocking PC if I leave it with my 950 XL.

5. Activating Glance Screen only by moving hand above the screen.

The rest (incredible display, camera etc.) are already known.

Also, the facts that new Galaxy S8 is almost the same as 950 XL and that some of my friends switched from iPhone 7 Plus to 950 XL warm my heart as well
    03-30-17 06:53 AM
    I thought I'd add to this thread because I've been looking into windows mobile's future for awhile. Might be interesting for an ex-BB, windows phone user.

Here's two pretty suggestive facts:

1) Last year in December, Microsoft announced win32 on ARM (that's full desktop apps on snapdragon processors).

2) This months creators update (for regular desktop/tablet windows) includes SMS/MMS settings, mobile hotspot and some other clearly mobile options

There's been some rumours that this years redstone 3 update for win 10 mobile is going to be the last. My thought - they are going to merge it into windows 10 proper. That's always been the plan in a way with "an OS that runs on any hardware".

As a big windows 10 tablet fan - if this is the result coming out this year, windows 10 will defo be my next move. Chrome extensions for one, would close the app game, add to that win32, and you've got a phone that can go places no other phone can.

Anyway, I was fascinated finding these on my desktop OS. There is zero possible motivation for putting SMS settings on tablets or notebooks, especially this early when the ARM emu isn't even out yet.

Thought you'd want to hear that.

Cheers.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    04-12-17 01:48 AM
    I am Back in Black!

Fired up my Passport a couple weeks ago and have been using it as my primary ever since. Things I really love about it versus the 950XL.

1. PKB
    2. Hub
    3. Customized notification sounds
    4. Notification LED
    5. Smooth operation with peak, swipe and flick
    6. Access to the core file system. (no WP doesn't let you in)
    7. Word short cuts
    8. Keyboard short cuts and commands
    9. Solid feel

I know I haven't posted in a while but I did give the 950XL a real chance. The deal breaker for me was skype. I raved earlier about it on WP but it became somewhat unstable at times and the alerts did not always notify me of a message. Forever picking it up to view because I didn't trust it. Skype on BB10 is certainly a downgrade but I've loaded an older APK version 4.9 that seems reliable. (credit KllR007: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12741543)

Other annoyances was the need to create separate email folders and the VKB. Seemed like I had to do twice the clicking and swiping on it compared to the Passport. Example: to go to the top or bottom of a webpage you need to swipe forever on a slab phone. Passport: just click the T or B keys.

The 950XL and WP10 do some amazing things but I'm in the "Tool not Toy" camp. The Passport like my F350 pickup is neither pretty nor popular but it hauls the stuff I want it to and to places many pickups won't go.

I also discovered I'm firmly committed to the PKB. I am now seriously considering the K1. I'm going to commandeer my son's S6 and try out the BB android apps on it like Hub+ and BBM.
    dmlis likes this.
    05-08-17 06:38 AM
    You can try the hub+, etc on an Android Phone, but it never give you that BB10 Passport feeling. I tried it but allways ended on my Passport
    But give it a try, and I see you back soon on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    05-08-17 09:55 AM
    You can try the hub+, etc on an Android Phone, but it never give you that BB10 Passport feeling. I tried it but allways ended on my Passport

Posted via CB10
    I feel the same way. I never tried a windows phone, but I've tried to use the Priv as a daily driver and I couldn't take to it.

I've also tried a 7Plus and while that phone is awesome, the keyboards on the Classic/Passport are too good to keep locked away

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.3.2163  pin:2C09CE92
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    05-08-17 10:13 AM
    I feel the same way. I never tried a windows phone, but I've tried to use the Priv as a daily driver and I couldn't take to it.
    I hope you guys are wrong but I doubt it.
    05-08-17 10:50 AM
70 123