So, this fellow had a two week old Q10 he didn't want anymore. He sold it to me for $30. It's almost brand new, direct from the carrier itself. Pretty good deal for me, huh?

It's on OS 10.2.1something. I think i'll keep it there instead of updating. Is that a good idea?

I love typing on my new Q10. It's almost like typing on a 99series Bold.

I miss the trackpad, though. I keep reaching to scroll around and there's no trackpad there. I keep stroking the keyboard, but it's not like a passport keyboard. Oh well, that's ok, still a great device.

How do I make the background completely black? I took a photo with my finger over the camera and used that photo as background, but I wonder if there's a better solution.

Also, where can I find a native kindle reader for this? I don't want to upgrade to an OS with android runtime or amazon store.

Lastly, any good tips for new Q10 convert?

Posted via CB10
    ssirica likes this.
    02-22-17 10:42 PM
    If the OS is working fine for you just leave it there. Here download this wall paperpaper and save it, then set it as your wallpaper
    02-22-17 11:19 PM
    Btw....if your buddy has anymore q10's he wants to dish off for 30 bucks I'm down
    02-22-17 11:20 PM
    Haha, sorry he only had one and I grabbed it less than a day after he offered it. No way I could pass up a price like that for a rare brand new Q10!

Thanks for the black background. Wow AMOLED screen is really black!

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 12:40 AM
    So, this fellow had a two week old Q10 he didn't want anymore. He sold it to me for $30. It's almost brand new, direct from the carrier itself. Pretty good deal for me, huh?

It's on OS 10.2.1something. I think i'll keep it there instead of updating. Is that a good idea?

I love typing on my new Q10. It's almost like typing on a 99series Bold.

I miss the trackpad, though. I keep reaching to scroll around and there's no trackpad there. I keep stroking the keyboard, but it's not like a passport keyboard. Oh well, that's ok, still a great device.

How do I make the background completely black? I took a photo with my finger over the camera and used that photo as background, but I wonder if there's a better solution.

Also, where can I find a native kindle reader for this? I don't want to upgrade to an OS with android runtime or amazon store.

Lastly, any good tips for new Q10 convert?

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately, there's no native kindle app. You might be able to use an android APK, but my experience with android apps hasn't been great. It's hit and miss. They're often really hard on battery life.

Sent from mTalk
    02-23-17 12:48 AM
    When you select the background picture via the settings, you have option to adjust it. Click on the Enhance button, Use the controls to crank down the brightness. You can use virtually any picture to get "black" background. I do this on all my BB10 phones
    02-23-17 01:15 AM
    Unfortunately, there's no native kindle app. You might be able to use an android APK, but my experience with android apps hasn't been great. It's hit and miss. They're often really hard on battery life.

Sent from mTalk
    Well, I don't want android on my q10 so I guess no kindle. That's ok, fbreader works for epub.

I think it is more fun to type on my q10 than my passport. It is also easier to swipe up to wake. I gave up with that on my passport and just push the U button.
    02-23-17 01:57 AM
    Well, I don't want android on my q10 so I guess no kindle. That's ok, fbreader works for epub.

I think it is more fun to type on my q10 than my passport. It is also easier to swipe up to wake. I gave up with that on my passport and just push the U button.
    Docs to go, but Microsoft Office works great too. Try the newest one, if not, download an older one.

#soon , later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    02-23-17 02:04 AM
    Docs to Go is good for me. I just moved my SD card from passport over, and all the Docs are accessible.

I miss the capacitive keyboard, though. It was easier to move the cursor around with it, but I'm getting used to my Q10.

I don't think I'll try doing any excel documents on the Q10. No trackpad, no capacitive keyboard, no luck.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 11:50 AM
    That's a great deal. Congrats. Be interesting to see your thoughts on daily use of a q10 compared to the passport.

Notice any substantial differences in speed or anything?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 11:56 AM
    Keyboard is softer and has a Bold-like sculpturing, minus the curve, that passport lacks. I type faster on Q10. Navigation, however, is a lot easier with passport due to capacitive keyboard. Editing text is therefore easier on passport but I'm getting used to the cursor on my Q10 quickly.

One-handed use is so good. I can use the Q10 without a case but am scared to use my passport without one.

The backgrip is good and feels better than passport's back cover for maintaining grip while typing.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 12:18 PM
    I tried a Passport SE for a few days and found it too big and bulky for comfortable use. I also did not like the 3-row keyboard at all and much prefer the "classic" 4-row keyboard.

No matter what devices I try, I keep coming back to my Q10. It just has the right combination of features for me.

Oh, and I am taking advantage of the Android runtime to run a few very useful apps.

I hope you enjoy your Q10!

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    02-23-17 12:48 PM
    I use a Kindle reader on my Q10, which I downloaded from the Amazon App Store (you might need to update the OS for this). It takes a while to load but it works great. Pressing the space bar turns the pages.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 01:34 PM
    Yes, I am a little sad I can't use kindle on my Q10 but I don't want the runtime on it. And besides, I like using kindle on my 9930 just fine.

Speedwise, I see NO practical difference between passport and Q10. The smaller screen makes hub more cumbersome to use, but that's due to extra menu clicks, not the smooth processing speed. No discernible lag.

I noticed that the Q10 wanted to install Link to my PC, but I think I'm comfortable just manually transferring files myself.

So far, I've installed 2 apps - crackberry and FBreader. I didn't bother to integrate BBM with hub.

I think the Q10, rather than the Classic, is the true successor to the Bold 99s.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 01:55 PM
    I think the Q10, rather than the Classic, is the true successor to the Bold 99s.

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is!!

#soon , later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    02-23-17 02:16 PM
    Yes, I am a little sad I can't use kindle on my Q10 but I don't want the runtime on it. And besides, I like using kindle on my 9930 just fine.
    I think the Android runtime is just part of the package, like it or not. You've got it already, why not use it? Just make sure not to give the 'droid apps permission to run minimised or run in background.

However, I do understand not having Amazon on my device. It is very annoying, it is also part of the package but as long as you never start it up, certain bits of it don't seem to be initialized so nothing runs in the background and it just takes up "disk" space
    02-23-17 03:38 PM
    No, it is NOT part of the package. You must have a more updated OS than mine, probably 10.3 something. I'm on 10.2 something, no amazon appstore, no runtime.

I do have the option to upgrade, but I halted my Q10 when it tried to do so automatically.

I have kindle on other devices, so I'm fine there.

I don't even have any games on the Q10 with no plans to get any. I might get a podcast app, though. Robex is good.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 03:50 PM
    No, it is NOT part of the package. You must have a more updated OS than mine, probably 10.3 something. I'm on 10.2 something, no amazon appstore, no runtime.

I do have the option to upgrade, but I halted my Q10 when it tried to do so automatically.

I have kindle on other devices, so I'm fine there.

I don't even have any games on the Q10 with no plans to get any. I might get a podcast app, though. Robex is good.

Posted via CB10
    You DO have the Android runtime, but depending on the version you may not be able to install APK files by tapping on them, but must convert them to BAR files and side-load them.

The Android runtime is completely independent of the Amazon appstore.

02-23-17 06:46 PM
    I have version 10.2.1.2674. So, you're telling me I CAN just grab some kindle apk and install on my Q10?

Is this right? Did bb10 come with android runtime from the very start?

Wait a bit, I'm going to find a kindle apk...
    02-23-17 06:52 PM
    I have version 10.2.1.2674. So, you're telling me I CAN just grab some kindle apk and install on my Q10?

Is this right? Did bb10 come with android runtime from the very start?

Wait a bit, I'm going to find a kindle apk...
    If you have 10.2.1 then it installing APK files should work.

And yes, BB10 had Android runtime from the beginning.

02-23-17 06:54 PM
    You're right! The kindle app installed. Of course, it lagged and crashed shortly thereafter... but it worked. sort of.

I might try an old apk, or still just stick with my 9930. But it's good to know now that the option is there! Thanks.
    02-23-17 07:51 PM
    You're right! The kindle app installed. Of course, it lagged and crashed shortly thereafter... but it worked. sort of.

I might try an old apk, or still just stick with my 9930. But it's good to know now that the option is there! Thanks.
    Later versions of BB10 bring performance and stability improvements to the Android runtime. But you might find an older apk that will work better.

Good luck!

02-23-17 08:23 PM
    I like the weight of the Q10. It's heavier than Bold but the weight makes it feel more sturdy.

I don't miss the trackpad as much as I thought I would, either.

Still trying to figure out how to highlight and cut, or cut and paste. It took me a while to figure out how to delete multiple emails at once.

I like crackberry better on Q10 than passport. Photos are displayed larger, despite the smaller screen. Odd.

BBM not working. I can't get into my old Passport group. Oh well.
    02-24-17 03:52 PM
    Hey - sorry I didn't see that you came over from the Bold forums. Welcome!

I switched a year ago to the Q10 and besides "edit" functions it replaced my 9930 hands down. Took a while to figure out not to place my edit finger close to the envelope icon in a message, rather start at the upper left and drag it to where I need it to avoid an unintentional send.

Nice having a messaging phone where pretty much everything "works".

I've been on the below OS for almost the entire time, as I wasn't a fan of the 10.2 interface on the Q10.

 Q10 SQN100-2 10.3.2.2813 / Droid Turbo 2 XT1585 6.0
    02-26-17 08:42 AM
    I've had my q10 for nearly a year now. I recently updated the OS, so hub runs better and kindle runs without heating the phone. I've even figured out how to add mobi files, so I can read anything I add to the kindle app now, as well as epub with my Pocketbook app.

Crackberry app runs well.

I love the amoled screen, and typing is a pleasure on the q10. Editing a little less so, as I am still used to the passport pkb trackpad ability, or my 9900 actual trackpad. But the q10 is still good.

I might try to add onedrive to the q10. Is there a good BlackBerry app for this that anyone recommends. Otherwise, I guess I could use the website too.

Sent from my lovely Q10!
    10-05-17 12:47 PM
26 12