1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BlackBerry is still on life support - Dec. 20, 2016

Come on Chen... must do better job on all accounts....

Posted via CB10
    12-21-16 06:57 AM
    How?

I think it is very fortunate that there is still a BlackBerry.
    I think it is very fortunate that Chen bought the companies he did.... or there wouldn't be a BlackBerry today.

The CNN article is comparing BlackBerry to what it once was..... they and you need to face the reality that it never will be that again.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-21-16 07:17 AM
    I don't think that assessment is unfair. Until the company can demonstrate overall quarterly revenue and profit growth; the verdict will be out
    techvisor likes this.
    12-21-16 06:00 PM
    There are a lot of question marks around this company.

We don't know what to expect in revenue from the new phone deals. We don't even know how much they will make per device. No one has any clue.

We still don't know how much QNX makes per car. We don't know when that number will change. Even after it changes, we still won't know how much money they make with this unless BB starts being more transparent.

Software and Services have grown only modestly over the past 3 quarters. There is significant growth over last year because of acquisitions, yes, but what about the 3 quarters of this year? How much organic growth have we really seen this year?

We don't know what their FY17 target is for software and services, because they seem to include and then exclude IP in that number to suit whichever argument Chen is trying to make.

What does this mean for growth in FY18? All Chen said today is that he believes he can do better than the industry benchmark, but then when asked what that benchmark is he said "10-15%" and then said he didn't really know and would have to look into it.

Is the valuation of the company high, low, or correct. To be honest, you can make an argument for all 3. People on CB say it's unfairly low (of course), but there are reasonable arguments to be made that it may be a bit high still.

I'm still long BBRY, but I do think there are serious questions to be asked, and I'm extremely uncomfortable with how little information BB are sharing now. No details on the phone deal with TCL. No details on the pricing model for BBM. No details on the pricing model for Radar. No pricing model for QNX. No milestones or expectations for self-driving cars. No details on enterprise sales momentum other than the number of "orders", whatever the heck that means. Even that number is essentially flat.
    12-21-16 06:17 PM
    There are a lot of question marks around this company.

We don't know what to expect in revenue from the new phone deals. We don't even know how much they will make per device. No one has any clue.

We still don't know how much QNX makes per car. We don't know when that number will change. Even after it changes, we still won't know how much money they make with this unless BB starts being more transparent.

Software and Services have grown only modestly over the past 3 quarters. There is significant growth over last year because of acquisitions, yes, but what about the 3 quarters of this year? How much organic growth have we really seen this year?

We don't know what their FY17 target is for software and services, because they seem to include and then exclude IP in that number to suit whichever argument Chen is trying to make.

What does this mean for growth in FY18? All Chen said today is that he believes he can do better than the industry benchmark, but then when asked what that benchmark is he said "10-15%" and then said he didn't really know and would have to look into it.

Is the valuation of the company high, low, or correct. To be honest, you can make an argument for all 3. People on CB say it's unfairly low (of course), but there are reasonable arguments to be made that it may be a bit high still.

I'm still long BBRY, but I do think there are serious questions to be asked, and I'm extremely uncomfortable with how little information BB are sharing now. No details on the phone deal with TCL. No details on the pricing model for BBM. No details on the pricing model for Radar. No pricing model for QNX. No milestones or expectations for self-driving cars. No details on enterprise sales momentum other than the number of "orders", whatever the heck that means. Even that number is essentially flat.
    It was a different Chen this time around. Might be he considers his job done now... and is ready to move on.
    12-23-16 08:07 AM
    IMO Chen was never going to try and save the hardware side of BlackBerry. Although he said phones are an important part of BlackBerry and he has done things in an attempt to boost sales, where was the advertising, the attempt to get more day to day useful apps that ios and android have on BBW also? I could go on but you get the idea. The deal made with Amazon didn't do what they hoped it would so now they've taken another road. There was an old cigarette commercial when I was growing up that said "I'd rather fight than switch", whose words they should have followed.

Posted via CB10 from my unlocked Z30 on AT&T
    01-28-17 10:07 AM
    IMO Chen was never going to try and save the hardware side of BlackBerry. Although he said phones are an important part of BlackBerry and he has done things in an attempt to boost sales, where was the advertising, the attempt to get more day to day useful apps that ios and android have on BBW also? I could go on but you get the idea. The deal made with Amazon didn't do what they hoped it would so now they've taken another road. There was an old cigarette commercial when I was growing up that said "I'd rather fight than switch", whose words they should have followed.

Posted via CB10 from my unlocked Z30 on AT&T
    Job #1 for Chen was cut spending, and that in turn gutted BB10's chances at a comeback.... development was cut, sales staff was cut, everything that needed to be increased HAD TO BE decreased in other to balance the books. If Chen had taken the "dam the torpedoes and full speed ahead" attitudes, BlackBerry would have been Bankrupt in the Summer of 2014 (if not sooner).

It's a hard pill to swallow, but BlackBerry that we all knew died long before Chen showed up. He was just there to salvage what he could, and at times he was honest about that.
    02-01-17 10:11 AM
    Blackberry got greedy, in the old days to get Internet you had to pay for the privilege , or get a friend to get around that , while you could get Internet on any other brand so that is when Blackberry lost customers and they sat on there arse and lost all the business customers all or most going to Apple, but I still like as Blackberry as the Hub and now no restrictions by Blackberry. I also own a 9982 and 9983 also a Passport and a Passport Weis. Long live Blackberry

Posted via CB10
    05-21-18 02:01 PM