If a poor image or reputation is what's hurting BlackBerry sales then I don't see any hope. Marketing and creating lasting excitement is their weakest hand by far.

I myself don't think that their image &reputation are not that bleak, the name is known for security and has a no nonsense get the job done type of appeal. This should carve out a space for them to operate in.

Posted via CB10
    I'm hopeful that they will repair their image through industrial design since a frontal assault via marketing is not their thing. For example I'm eyeing a couple different PD Blackberries, and a couple of them stunning. I could just have this weird fetish for bespoke items.

But wouldn't it be nice if BlackBerry would gear down and make Vertu like phones that are in reach to buy? That's my wet dream anyway. (BB10 of course!)
    12-01-15 11:43 AM
    Stock price means nothing in a plain comparison on what each share costs. I thought you knew this.
    What are you talking about? I already posted a strength comparison but if one stock came down in price while the other went up its kind of a moot point.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-01-15 11:48 AM
    Look how fast the PRIV sells out on Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 11:51 AM
    What are you talking about? I already posted a strength comparison but if one stock came down in price while the other went up its kind of a moot point.

So let me get this straight.

You posted a strength comparison between Apple and BlackBerry? Sounds like a colossal waste of time. lol
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    12-01-15 12:22 PM
    So let me get this straight.

You posted a strength comparison between Apple and BlackBerry? Sounds like a colossal waste of time. lol
    Why's that? It shows bbry is performing stronger relative to aapl.

Posted from my Priv!
    12-01-15 02:07 PM
    Why's that? It shows bbry is performing stronger relative to aapl.

Posted from my Priv!
    For starters.

BBRY market cap - 4.13B
    AAPL market cap - 652.93B

BBRY EPS - -0.50
    AAPL EPS - 9.22

Without going any further into net profits, it's like comparing the strength between a horse and buggy to a Shelby Mustang. Waste of time.
    12-01-15 02:29 PM
    Look how fast the PRIV sells out on Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    And it still isn't in Amazon's top 20 Best Sellers.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-C...UvbUpU12120043
    12-01-15 02:32 PM
    Without going any further into net profits, it's like comparing the strength between a horse and buggy to a Shelby Mustang. Waste of time.
    Mustang - 300hp
    Horse and buggy - Literally 1hp
    jm1219 likes this.
    12-01-15 02:46 PM
    Mustang - 300hp
    Horse and buggy - Literally 1hp
    That's why I said "Shelby".
    12-01-15 02:52 PM
    And it still isn't in Amazon's top 20 Best Sellers.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-C...UvbUpU12120084
    It's not in Amazon's top 20 because they have only sold about 30 if them.

Amazon stocks 10 at a time because that's all BlackBerry sends them.

Yes they sell out in under an hour, but they have 10-12 at a time and have only been in Stock 3 times.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    12-01-15 02:54 PM
    For starters.

BBRY market cap - 4.13B
    AAPL market cap - 652.93B

BBRY EPS - -0.50
    AAPL EPS - 9.22

You clearly don't understand what a "Relative Strength comparison" is.

Posted from my Priv!
    12-01-15 03:00 PM
    It's not in Amazon's top 20 because they have only sold about 30 if them.

Amazon stocks 10 at a time because that's all BlackBerry sends them.

Yes they sell out in under an hour, but they have 10-12 at a time and have only been in Stock 3 times.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    Isn't it a shame when BLU, as a manufacturer, has 4 spots in the top 20 but not a trace from BlackBerry?

By the way, no phone there is more than $499 unlocked. Somebody at BlackBerry failed to do their homework.
    12-01-15 03:02 PM
    You clearly don't understand what a "Relative Strength comparison" is.

Posted from my Priv!
    Clearly.
    12-01-15 03:02 PM
    I already did a survey of 10 different malls in my area...it averaged out to about 1.04 sales per day per store. That calculated to about 1/2 million sales in Canada alone in one year. Feedback was good...one guy said he could sell 4-5 a day if he had them...anyway you can read all about it...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...mbers-1050450/
    I'm talking about in the US. The stores I talked to (4 in Orlando, FL) all started out with less than 4 and are all ordering 2 at a time only when they completely sell out. All 4 corporate ATT stores told me this exact same thing verbatim, which leads me to believe that it is probably pretty likely that this is their corporate policy. the authorized resellers while all having a huge wall decal for the priv were not stocking it and had no demo BlackBerry units in store at all.

12-01-15 07:54 PM
    BB have never broken out the sales per device at the QR - I doubt they are legally obligated to do so. The most you can likely expect is for someone to ask the Android percentage of total sales (aka Priv sales as there's only one Android device) in the earnings call. Tho' whether Chen answers the question in a straight way will speak volumes.
    Yes. I don't expect they would have. In the BBOS only days obviously 100% of sales were BBOS devices. Then with BB10 the sales sucked. So better to hide and mix them in with remaining BBOS device sales to obscure things.

But you can bet if the Priv did big numbers you'd see them report specifics for the first time.

Apple plays these games as well. They report iPhone handsets sales because it's huge and impressive. Then they hide Apple watch sales by lumping it in with other things.

eldricho likes this.
    12-01-15 08:02 PM
    Yes. I don't expect they would have. In the BBOS only days obviously 100% of sales were BBOS devices. Then with BB10 the sales sucked. So better to hide and mix them in with remaining BBOS device sales to obscure things.

But you can bet if the Priv did big numbers you'd see them report specifics for the first time.

Apple plays these games as well. They report iPhone handsets sales because it's huge and impressive. Then they hide Apple watch sales by lumping it in with other things.

Yes, fair comment. Everyone plays these selective reporting games. BB is neither a saint nor sinner.

I guess we'll see how Chen answers the inevitable "How's the Priv doing?" question on the 18th... Should be very revealing, either way.
    12-02-15 02:45 AM
    So it's available in the US, Canada and the UK - that's it. BB seems to be incapable of launching the product outside of that area. The EU is one of the world's largest markets and BB has lost the ability to launch products here. How exactly are they planning on staying in business?
    gizmo21 likes this.
    12-02-15 03:00 AM
    Yes, fair comment. Everyone plays these selective reporting games. BB is neither a saint nor sinner.

I guess we'll see how Chen answers the inevitable "How's the Priv doing?" question on the 18th... Should be very revealing, either way.
    I predict he won't give specifics. He'll say it's selling well blah blah. I just don't get the sense it's a big seller. Though I would be willing to say I think it's selling better than the BlackBerry 10 phones. Just a hunch. We will see. Even though BlackBerry probably won't break out any numbers the analysts can usually do reasonable guessing based on the decline trends for BBOS devices.

12-02-15 03:33 AM
    I predict he won't give specifics. He'll say it's selling well blah blah. I just don't get the sense it's a big seller. Though I would be willing to say I think it's selling better than the BlackBerry 10 phones. Just a hunch. We will see. Even though BlackBerry probably won't break out any numbers the analysts can usually do reasonable guessing based on the decline trends for BBOS devices.

Like you, I doubt the Priv is selling as well as it needs in order to keep the devices revenue up and give Chen the funds to complete the transition to software.

BB have gotten into the habit of augmenting the raw sales numbers by giving percentages of each OS. Last quarter for example, 85% of the 800k devices sold were BB10, BBOS retains 15% (a higher figure than I'd imagined and which surprised me).

I doubt Chen would be positively received if he reverted to vague, hand-waving, platitudes about the Priv "exceeding expectations" and omitted the percentages.

We'll find out soon enough.

Interesting times.
    southlander likes this.
    12-02-15 04:39 AM
    So it's available in the US, Canada and the UK - that's it. BB seems to be incapable of launching the product outside of that area. The EU is one of the world's largest markets and BB has lost the ability to launch products here. How exactly are they planning on staying in business?
    You're right. It's gotta be really hard for BB to hit the numbers they need to when their potential market is only the roughly 100 million people in Canada and the UK plus the second largest carrier in the US.
    12-02-15 05:32 AM
    They sold 5.8million phones in 2014 with far less carrier support and only BB10 devices. Why wouldn't they be able to sell 5M?
    th.1977 likes this.
    12-02-15 05:43 AM
    You're right. It's gotta be really hard for BB to hit the numbers they need to when their potential market is only the roughly 100 million people in Canada and the UK plus the second largest carrier in the US.
    If they can live without the other 380 million Europeans, be my guest.
    jm1219 likes this.
    12-02-15 10:38 AM
    I just read my comment again. Idk if it sounded sarcastic but I wasn't trying to be. That really is a small segment of the global market to try to hit profitable numbers.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-02-15 10:50 AM
    I hope that isn't the long term plan. But as weak as carrier and retailer relations are in the UK and US, they are much, much weaker in the rest of Europe, right?

So given that they seem to have limited production of the Priv right now, it makes sense to first try to be successful in the countries where you have the best chance.

Then if that is working, then Chen would feel more confident ordering more phones for a global launch.
    12-02-15 10:53 AM
    They sold 5.8million phones in 2014 with far less carrier support and only BB10 devices. Why wouldn't they be able to sell 5M?
    It would be impossible for them to sell less phones than last year while launching possibly 4 new blackberry with android devices. (imo)
    12-02-15 11:03 AM
123 12345