You couldn't be more wrong. The only reason you could play videos in the background was because BB10 doesn't have a YouTube app. BB10 doesn't multitask any more than iOS or Android. I can do the exact same thing on an iPhone if I don't use the youtube app and use the web to access youtube. This has been covered hundreds of times. Google blocks the native app from playing in the background. I guess the iPhone is now magically able to multitask because with YouTube Red you can minimize the native app and keep the video playing. BB10 wasn't doing anything special, it just didn't have an app for Google to block the video from playing in the background. If an actual YouTube app would have ever been released for BB10 you wouldn't have been able to play anything while the app was minimized.
    When I was testing this on the Priv, I was using the browser. I was not using a YouTube app.
    11-30-15 03:14 PM
    When I was testing this on the Priv, I was using the browser. I was not using a YouTube app.
    Google blocks it through their Chrome browser. Download Firefox and it will work fine.
    fanaticalman2 likes this.
    11-30-15 03:17 PM
    Google blocks it through their Chrome browser. Download Firefox and it will work fine.
    It's not some grand conspiracy. Chrome pauses videos onPause(), because if it's not in the foreground, it assumes that the user didn't want to miss what they were watching. Firefox doesn't.
    11-30-15 03:34 PM
    It's not some grand conspiracy. Chrome pauses videos onPause(), because if it's not in the foreground, it assumes that the user didn't want to miss what they were watching. Firefox doesn't.
    Uh, that's what I said. The conspiracy is that people who used BB10 devices and played YouTube videos in the background had this great multitasking ability that the other platforms didn't have which is a bunch of nonsense.
    11-30-15 03:38 PM
    That is not a very good assumption on the part of the chrome devs. You can pause the video with a single tap, so it doesn't really save the user any time. I like to keep videos running when I am listening to music or interviews through youtube.
    11-30-15 03:41 PM
    My experience with Android is very limited as I have been using BB10 since the Z10 arrived on Verizon. When the Priv was released on AT&T, I went into a store to try it out. What I wanted to test what the ability to multi task.

BB10: When playing a youtube video, I swipe up to minimize the application. The youtube video keeps playing and I can head the audio. I can then open additional applications while the audio plays.

Android: When playing the same video, I tap the "recent apps" button and the recent apps screen appears (similar to BB10). However, the video and audio stop playing.

Android is not multi tasking in my mind. I can still only do one thing at a time. Was I doing something incorrectly? Is there a way to get the multi tasking on Android to work correctly? Just because I tap on the "recent apps" button doesn't mean to app should stop performing the current task.
    So you based an entire operating systems ability to multi task on a single video watching app?

Android can multi task perfectly fine, such as dropbox app uploading my files while i browse the web. Or I can use my AndroVid to encode videos in the background while dropbox is uploading and at the same time listen to music and take some pics.

Android AND BB10 can multitask fine and the ability to switch apps while having background processing (if allowed by the app) works perfectly fine. More so than IOS. Switching between apps on Android and BB10 is also equally simple.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-30-15 03:52 PM
    My experience with Android is very limited as I have been using BB10 since the Z10 arrived on Verizon. When the Priv was released on AT&T, I went into a store to try it out. What I wanted to test what the ability to multi task.

BB10: When playing a youtube video, I swipe up to minimize the application. The youtube video keeps playing and I can head the audio. I can then open additional applications while the audio plays.

Android: When playing the same video, I tap the "recent apps" button and the recent apps screen appears (similar to BB10). However, the video and audio stop playing.

Android is not multi tasking in my mind. I can still only do one thing at a time. Was I doing something incorrectly? Is there a way to get the multi tasking on Android to work correctly? Just because I tap on the "recent apps" button doesn't mean to app should stop performing the current task.
    You shouldn't be watching YouTube videos on a BB10 device anyway. Theyre only about productivity. Didn't you read the manual?
    donnation and JeepBB like this.
    11-30-15 03:54 PM
    Uh, that's what I said. The conspiracy is that people who used BB10 devices and played YouTube videos in the background had this great multitasking ability that the other platforms didn't have which is a bunch of nonsense.
    But...but...but....multitasking......but....but... .never mind. Lol.
    donnation likes this.
    11-30-15 03:57 PM
    The Devil may have bought BlackBerry's soul but he refused to buy their phone
    kvndoom likes this.
    11-30-15 04:00 PM
    Would you prefer if they stopped making handsets altogether? Because that is what was going to happen if they stuck with BB10.
    Yup, I would prefer that.
    11-30-15 04:13 PM
    So you based an entire operating systems ability to multi task on a single video watching app?

Android can multi task perfectly fine, such as dropbox app uploading my files while i browse the web. Or I can use my AndroVid to encode videos in the background while dropbox is uploading and at the same time listen to music and take some pics.

Android AND BB10 can multitask fine and the ability to switch apps while having background processing (if allowed by the app) works perfectly fine. More so than IOS. Switching between apps on Android and BB10 is also equally simple.
    It was not a video watching app, it was the browser. That was the first and only test I did to see how the multi tasking worked...and it didn't work as I expected. That is why I asked if I had done something wrong. I got very useful responses from Troy Tiscareno and donnation as to why the multi tasking did not work as I expected in this case. No need to chime in.
    11-30-15 04:17 PM
    It was either the PRIV or nothing. There likely wasn't go to be a next BB10 handset. There's probably not even going to be a next Android handset.
    I'm not so sure. Chen has been the worst CEO in the company's history -- by far -- but his software transition is failing. Revenue has fallen by half since he took over and he just burned almost half-a-billion in cash to buy Good's customers in order to try to keep the enterprise software failure hidden a little longer in hopes that the market will grow and he can grow with it. Hardware still accounts for 40% of BlackBerry's revenues. Sure, it's not profitable, but there are a lot of companies that chose to make mobile phones because of indirect business benefits that don't show on the balance sheet -- these would include pretty much every Android OEM. ;-) It's hard to imagine Chen shutting down the device division -- which used to be a mobile computing platform division under his predecessor -- and not being fired by the board at this point. I'm fire him right now as he's just shrunk BlackBerry to a point of insignificance, but at some point, merely pointing out that software is profitable despite the companies revenues shrinking like crazy, isn't going to cut it. I mean, my buddy has a profitable software company with about 5 people working in it. If a bigger player enters his niche, he's probably done.

It's hard to see how BB10 could be developed with the awesomeness that it was developed under Thor today. Chen is just not that kind of CEO and he's clearly looking to break the company up into parts and sell raider style. That means he wants hardware to be profitable in the short run and doesn't care that much about winning the long-run -- or doesn't think it's possible. But, all that aside, it's hard to imagine BlackBerry having any presence or meaning or awareness without handsets. When Chen talks with the investment media, they talk about handsets. The company couldn't pay to get those kinds of discussion about something like BES. BlackBerry without phones is, maybe, a $500 a year company. Think a wannabe dreaming of someday becomming Adobe.

The move to Android was an *awful* move for the future of BlackBerry -- it literally threw away our shot about being a player in the platform contest, but the move to kill devices would pretty much mean the company is irrelevant. Yes, Chen has to balance the books, but he's got 3 billion or so in cash. He doesn't have to kill the only thing that is keeping the company anywhere near the tech community's mindshare.
    11-30-15 04:21 PM
    I'm not so sure. Chen has been the worst CEO in the company's history -- by far -- but his software transition is failing. Revenue has fallen by half since he took over and he just burned almost half-a-billion in cash to buy Good's customers in order to try to keep the enterprise software failure hidden a little longer in hopes that the market will grow and he can grow with it. Hardware still accounts for 40% of BlackBerry's revenues. Sure, it's not profitable, but there are a lot of companies that chose to make mobile phones because of indirect business benefits that don't show on the balance sheet -- these would include pretty much every Android OEM. ;-) It's hard to imagine Chen shutting down the device division -- which used to be a mobile computing platform division under his predecessor -- and not being fired by the board at this point. I'm fire him right now as he's just shrunk BlackBerry to a point of insignificance, but at some point, merely pointing out that software is profitable despite the companies revenues shrinking like crazy, isn't going to cut it. I mean, my buddy has a profitable software company with about 5 people working in it. If a bigger player enters his niche, he's probably done.

It's hard to see how BB10 could be developed with the awesomeness that it was developed under Thor today. Chen is just not that kind of CEO and he's clearly looking to break the company up into parts and sell raider style. That means he wants hardware to be profitable in the short run and doesn't care that much about winning the long-run -- or doesn't think it's possible. But, all that aside, it's hard to imagine BlackBerry having any presence or meaning or awareness without handsets. When Chen talks with the investment media, they talk about handsets. The company couldn't pay to get those kinds of discussion about something like BES. BlackBerry without phones is, maybe, a $500 a year company. Think a wannabe dreaming of someday becomming Adobe.

The move to Android was an *awful* move for the future of BlackBerry -- it literally threw away our shot about being a player in the platform contest, but the move to kill devices would pretty much mean the company is irrelevant. Yes, Chen has to balance the books, but he's got 3 billion or so in cash. He doesn't have to kill the only thing that is keeping the company anywhere near the tech community's mindshare.
    Spot on!!! One of the worst CEO's ever... and very short sighted. He only has the ability to be a bean counter, or try and raid other companies for the talent which BlackBerry no longer possesses.

Oh... and licensing agreements? Purely living in the past without any sort of innovative strategy to move forward.

You will be torn to shreds, though, by those who've labeled him god Chen.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 06:21 PM
    No... they don't know BB10... pure and simple.

Posted via CB10

Half of crackberry told their friends, family and in some cases strangers about BB10. They took it upon themselves to advertise free of charge for a billion dollar company. Still no market share. BB10 never brought home the bacon. Plain and simple
    11-30-15 08:17 PM
    Half of crackberry told their friends, family and in some cases strangers about BB10. They took it upon themselves to advertise free of charge for a billion dollar company. Still no market share. BB10 never brought home the bacon. Plain and simple
    WHOA WHOA WHOA....

We were supposed to get bacon? Wth man! I want my bacon.
    11-30-15 08:38 PM
    I think that BB10 IS great and superior, in its raw elements, to every other OS...

But Donnation nailed it on the head with this one.

I normally just find you a contrarian, don... almost feels weird to agree with you...

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 09:35 PM
    I think that BB10 IS great and superior, in its raw elements, to every other OS...

But Donnation nailed it on the head with this one.

I normally just find you a contrarian, don... almost feels weird to agree with you...

Posted via CB10
    Lol I'm sure I'll say something in the very near future to change that.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    11-30-15 09:51 PM

The company was DOA when they brought in Chen. If not for Chen, the company would be in the same graveyard with Palm, Symbian and Meego. Face it, the founders are the ones that phucked up back in the last decade. By time BB10 was rolled out, it was too little too late. They marketed it hard in the beginning and when people learned there were none of the new popular apps, they returned in droves......everyone here knows this, quit denying it.....

Posted via CB10
    hjc73734, JeepBB and will308 like this.
    11-30-15 10:30 PM
    The company was DOA when they brought in Chen. If not for Chen, the company would be in the same graveyard with Palm, Symbian and Meego. Face it, the founders are the ones that phucked up back in the last decade. By time BB10 was rolled out, it was too little too late. They marketed it hard in the beginning and when people learned there were none of the new popular apps, they returned in droves......everyone here knows this, quit denying it.....

Posted via CB10
    Chen was propped up so high on this site when he arrived. Now that there are no potential BB10 phone upgrades the knives have come out.
    11-30-15 11:13 PM
    I'm way more productive on my Priv because of all these productivity apps I can download. The browser on Android is also way more useful because it is widely supported whereas I struggled to load some pages on my Q10.
    11-30-15 11:23 PM
    Wow! The frothing Negative Nellies continue to feed off each other.

I'm comparing my cheapskate Q5 to my cheapskate Android tablet and I gotta say that out of the box BB10 is way better. Ya I know Android has all them thar 3rd party applications you can load up on, but apart from the Crackberry App which is time intelligently spent, most of the other apps are a complete waste of life that could more beneficial elsewhere.... like on Crackberry.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 11:32 PM
    I'm way more productive on my Priv because of all these productivity apps I can download. The browser on Android is also way more useful because it is widely supported whereas I struggled to load some pages on my Q10.
    me too; seems an awful lot of fuss about nothing.
    12-01-15 12:35 AM
    Firefox on Android plays YouTube while in the background.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    fanaticalman2 likes this.
    12-01-15 01:29 AM
    Please help me regarding some app (without ads)

1-video
    2-Picture
    3-Call reacorder

Posted by Priv
    12-01-15 01:35 AM
    The beautiful thing about Android is when something doesn't work properly out of the box, there are plenty of people who have fixed it in a 3rd party app!

(Which is why Android is such a disjointed mess).
    12-01-15 01:44 AM
505 ... 45678 ...