Looking at instagram, they're putting the priv on the subway in new york, billboards, this and that. Why didn't they do this for bb10?!

Posted via CB10
    I guess the Super Bowl commercial, bill boards all over the GTA, countless arena advertisements, and more were nothing. SOme people need to get out from under the rock they live under.
    11-30-15 01:42 PM
    Looking at instagram, they're putting the priv on the subway in new york, billboards, this and that. Why didn't they do this for bb10?!

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 was advertised during the Superbowl that year. People didn't care because there wasn't app support. There was a push for advertising BB10 but the ads didn't win enough iPhone or Android converts to warrant additional advertising.
    11-30-15 01:43 PM
    ANYTHING can sell with good marketing. Anything. The only reason BlackBerry 10 never sold is because no body knew about it! Still no one knows about it!

Not saying it would've been able to compete entirely with iOS or Droid, but the biggest smartphone giant releasing the best mobile OS available and still dropping to less than 1% market share equals bad marketing plain and simple.

 PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 
    I know better but I am going to make an exception.
    Where did you get your MBA?
    11-30-15 01:47 PM
    ANYTHING can sell with good marketing. Anything.
    Nope, not true.

Customers can certainly be influenced by marketing, but a rubbish product won't sell, regardless of how many $$$'s are spent on advertising and marketing. Consumers aren't as stupid and gullible as some corporations would hope... and can spot a clunker pretty consistently.

The myth that marketing can sell anything is just that, a myth. And is the basis for the oft-repeated nonsense here on the CB forums that iPhones are basically rubbish, and it's only awesome marketing that is responsible for Apple's success.

There's an expression here in the UK: "You can polish a turd until it gleams, but it's still a turd" which is applicable to trying to market a poor product.
    TGR1, RH1Pearl, TgeekB and 3 others like this.
    11-30-15 01:52 PM
    Nope, not true.

Customers can certainly be influenced by marketing, but a rubbish product won't sell, regardless of how many $$$'s are spent on advertising and marketing. Consumers aren't as stupid and gullible as some corporations would hope... and can spot a clunker pretty consistently.

The myth that marketing can sell anything is just that, a myth. And is the basis for the oft-repeated nonsense here on the CB forums that iPhones are basically rubbish, and it's only awesome marketing that is responsible for Apple's success.

There's an expression here in the UK: "You can polish a turd until it gleams, but it's still a turd" which is applicable to trying to market a poor product.
    Can't I also point out that marketing is more than just advertising.

Posted via CB10
    TGR1 and Superfly_FR like this.
    11-30-15 01:55 PM
    Nope, not true.

Yes yes and yes. But you're all missing the point because of my initial (and wrong i'll admit) sentence. BlackBerry wouldn't have been marketing a turd. That's the difference here. They had the product, they made it well, they didn't market it very well. Case and point you really can't dispute that.

ClassicSQC100-4/10.3.2.2639
    KAM1138 likes this.
    11-30-15 02:05 PM
    Yes yes and yes. But you're all missing the point because of my initial (and wrong i'll admit) sentence. BlackBerry wouldn't have been marketing a turd. That's the difference here. They had the product, they made it well, they didn't market it very well. Case and point you really can't dispute that.
    BB10 simply didn't have an ecosystem that the consumer demographic wants. Efforts to encourage developers to build one just didn't work. A BB10 device (regardless how good the device may be) without an ecosystem that the average consumer expects from smart devices, simply isn't a product worth marketing to the average consumer. So Blackberry had "a product", but they didn't have "the product" that consumers want. BBRY knew this, and chose not to spend money marketing a consumer product that they simply didn't have at the time. Compound that with the point that BBRY was only maintaining a cash on hand balance due to drastic cuts throughout the corporation, in addition to a loan, so they really didn't have any money to spend on a marketing project likely doomed to fail.

Fast forward to today... now they have a product consumers could reasonably be expected to like/want, and are maintaining a steady cash balance without having to use cuts or creative financing. So now they can afford to spend resources on marketing.
    11-30-15 02:26 PM

No one disputes that the OS is great, but...

Great Product = solid OS + ecosystem

BlackBerry had only one piece to offer, and it wasn't enough for most.
    JeepBB, RH1Pearl, zlatno and 2 others like this.
    11-30-15 02:28 PM
    Another myth is that the purpose of advertising is to inform potential customers about a product and its features. If that were true then Apple, Coke and McDonalds shouldn't have to advertise at all. Who doesn't know what McDonalds sells or what Coke tastes like? Why do they waste millions sponsoring the Olympics when people are already familiar with their product?

Everyone who makes a product that doesn't catch on always blames the marketing. Your movie didn't do well? It's because the studio didn't do enough marketing. Restaurant didn't do well? It's because the location didn't have bring enough traffic. Large companies do focus groups and quickly find out what products will do well with marketing and which they shouldn't bother with.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-30-15 02:51 PM

You thinking that doesn't make it fact nor does it means others would have thought so. You can't dispute that!
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-30-15 04:06 PM
    Wow! I thought Blackberry fans were hard working efficient people. But based on this thread I must be wrong!!! Smile. Too many people with not enough to do. Or maybe their Blackberry 10.3 makes them so effective they have time to troll these posts. Just way too many posts for such a silly question.....Just saying. Love my Passport and loving my new Priv.
    11-30-15 04:46 PM
    It was clear with the initial flurry of advertising at launch that BB10 was not going to gain much traction outside of the BlackBerry faithful.

Spending good money after bad was not going to change anything.
    This is one of the most ludicrous statements I've heard yet about the failures of BlackBerry in regards to BB10.
    They spent a lot of time and money developing BB10, which was supposed to carry the company into the future, and because their initial advertising was horrible, the solution was to give up? That's a totally incorrect identification of the problem, leading to a wrong "solution" which has been a failure.

The ACTUAL solution is that you come up with EFFECTIVE advertising and marketing to support the good product that you've put a lot of resources into. The money spent on BB10 wasn't "bad money" the advertising effort was.
    What you don't do is dump a product that you've spent good money on, because your marketing department sucks.

Of course, what you advocate is exactly what they did do, leading to years of declining stock prices, and neglect of what was supposed to be a core product, which INSURED that the product failed. Your 'solution' was what CAUSED the failure of BB10.

As to your claim that it "wasn't going to change anything." That's pure speculation, because that was a road not taken. 3 years of effective marketing and dedicated support of BB10 could have led to the product becoming more successful. Also speculation, but a possibility. What we do know for certain is that what you advocate WAS a failure--hence, the wrong solution (unless you think that spending money on something then not supporting it is a good business practice). Even with the lack of support BB10 is a very good product, that (few of us left) people still choose and use daily.

BB10 was allowed to be a failure (due to neglect), it wasn't a foregone conclusion. I am really surprised that people get the order of this failure backwards. People tend to actually like what BB10 offers, once they've seen it and are educated about it. Unfortunately, that has reached so few people, because BlackBerry followed the path you seem to advocate. If they HAD successfully reached more people, then the app support could have followed.

I've said it before, and it apparently bears repeating. What DID happen (due to neglect and mismanagement) isn't what HAD to happen.
    ALL water under the bridge at this point, because I doubt we will see another BB10 phone, but this was a CHOSEN path, not the only path.

KAM
    12-01-15 09:43 AM
    This is one of the most ludicrous statements I've heard yet about the failures of BlackBerry in regards to BB10.
    They spent a lot of time and money developing BB10, which was supposed to carry the company into the future, and because their initial advertising was horrible, the solution was to give up? That's a totally incorrect identification of the problem, leading to a wrong "solution" which has been a failure.

The ACTUAL solution is that you come up with EFFECTIVE advertising and marketing to support the good product that you've put a lot of resources into. The money spent on BB10 wasn't "bad money" the advertising effort was.
    What you don't do is dump a product that you've spent good money on, because your marketing department sucks.

Of course, what you advocate is exactly what they did do, leading to years of declining stock prices, and neglect of what was supposed to be a core product, which INSURED that the product failed. Your 'solution' was what CAUSED the failure of BB10.

As to your claim that it "wasn't going to change anything." That's pure speculation, because that was a road not taken. 3 years of effective marketing and dedicated support of BB10 could have led to the product becoming more successful. Also speculation, but a possibility. What we do know for certain is that what you advocate WAS a failure--hence, the wrong solution (unless you think that spending money on something then not supporting it is a good business practice). Even with the lack of support BB10 is a very good product, that (few of us left) people still choose and use daily.

BB10 was allowed to be a failure (due to neglect), it wasn't a foregone conclusion. I am really surprised that people get the order of this failure backwards. People tend to actually like what BB10 offers, once they've seen it and are educated about it. Unfortunately, that has reached so few people, because BlackBerry followed the path you seem to advocate. If they HAD successfully reached more people, then the app support could have followed.

I've said it before, and it apparently bears repeating. What DID happen (due to neglect and mismanagement) isn't what HAD to happen.
    ALL water under the bridge at this point, because I doubt we will see another BB10 phone, but this was a CHOSEN path, not the only path.

KAM
    Your comments ignore the major investors' point of view and that is to preserve their already "huge losses on paper" investment. Advertising BB10 is a lost cause. Look at Microsoft and the average $15 billion Samsung spent on marketing the past several years only to see its market share continue to fall. There is no ecosystem to support BB10. Even if they spent their remaining $3.2 billion in cash it would maybe bump up the market share to 1%. And then what? How would you present your case to the Board and say let's spend $1 billion in marketing and our market share will increase to 1.2%. Your proposal wouldn't even make it through the door. This notion of "if people knew more about BB10 they would buy it" is just as baseless as BB10's ecosystem .
    12-01-15 10:03 AM
    A successful BB10 advertising campaign would have accomplished little except for increasing the amount of returned BB10 devices.
    A successful, properly designed and executed marketing campain would never do such a thing.

You may assume that BlackBerry marketing staff have no idea how to design and execute the right campaign for BB10: you may assert that there is no such thing as correctly marketing BB10 so BB10 devices find their appropriate audience of people who will know about it before they purchase and be happy with that purchase.

I believe the correct campaign would make the POINT that the apps aren't there, and if there are third party apps you can't live without, then BB10 is not for you. It would make the point that if you have a second device like an Android tablet or iPad, you may be able to get your apps on that device, which can pair with (tethering) your BB10 device via Bluetooth for data on-the-go for your iPad or Android tablet... but for fundamental communications tasks like email, texting and instant messaging, BB10 is a great choice, and, in the opinion of many BB10 critics, the BEST choice for communications. Finding those with whom the Hub and BB10's multitasking resonates is the challenge, but there are customers for BB10 out there who don't know enough about BB10 to try it, but if they did, they'd probably love BB10, if they use it within it's highly publicized limits regarding app availability. Again, the BB10 fans on CrackBerry are proof that such customers exist, and to say that there aren't enough additional customers for BB10 is 100% conjecture. There's no point in debating it. The fact is that BlackBerry didn't to the right job marketing BB10. There's a new Smart Car commercial that's hilarious. If BlackBerry took this approach with their marketing, they could find the right customer.

Now tell me: do you understand the Smart Fortwo's market position better now? Does it's failure in offroad situations make it "unsellable"? No. If BlackBerry had a creative marketing team and weren't afraid to position the product NOT as an "all things to everyone" device, BB10 could find its market, even now.

Getting such a message to the right audience is a challenge, yes, but it's obvious that BlackBerry was, throughout their attempts at marketing BB10, simply trying to sell something that BB10 wasn't to people who didn't want what it actually was. If they tried to sell it for what it was to people who might want it for what it is, like the millions of happy BB10 users including many members of this site, they may have been able to make a go of it.

(and the PlayBook suffered from the same problem: if it was marketed as a BB device COMPANION, not as a stand-alone tablet, it would have had a very different perception: it was reviewed as a stand alone tablet, but, at the time, when there were 80 million BB devices in active use, the PlayBook could have found it's PROPER customer)
    Powdah and crackberry_geek like this.
    12-01-15 10:31 AM

KAM
    While I appreciate the kind words, I disagree with you.

It was clear VERY early that the big developers weren't and would never come over. That was the end. You are now trying to market a brick, in the eyes of Android and iOS users.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-01-15 10:55 AM
    I believe the correct campaign would make the POINT that the apps aren't there, and if there are third party apps you can't live without, then BB10 is not for you.
    Marketing isn't magic, RyanGermann. You can't spin every disadvantage into an advantage (and here you're not even trying to). Including this information would cause sales to suffer even more than currently. It would convince consumers previously set on Blackberry to avoid it like the plague. Now that's horrible marketing!

The best approach to a flaw in your product, with regards to marketing, is to not address it. The exception is if the flaw is widely known; but, even then you still never EVER reference it directly. Just say something vague like "We're sorry and we are working hard to regain your trust" or "Recently, some untrue statements have been made about our product. We would just like to reassure you that our product is 100% safe."

Here are some possibilities about publicizing the app gap, none positive:

- Consumer that doesn't care about apps now thinks he should care about apps because Blackberry is saying it doesn't have apps.
    - Consumer that cares about apps a little but that would have kept the phone without knowledge of the app problem not buying the phone at all.
    - Consumer that would have thought Blackberry had a great app ecosystem being convinced Blackberry's app ecosystem is now horrible and not buying the phone.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 12-01-15 at 11:10 AM.
    12-01-15 10:57 AM
    While I appreciate the kind words, I disagree with you.

It was clear VERY early that the big developers weren't and would never come over. That was the end. You are now trying to market a brick, in the eyes of Android and iOS users.
    Developers serve markets with sufficient numbers of customers, assuming there aren't major technological issues. Given that some developers DO make apps for BB10, clearly it is technically possible, so the only question is whether or not BlackBerry gathered a pool of customers.

Clearly, they did not, but again, you insist that this was a foregone conclusion going in rather than a RESULT of failures in marketing the product.

BB10 products are NOT bricks, and if iOS and Android users insist on wallowing in ignorance that allows them to believe that (it isn't factually true), then again--that's a perception problem, not an inherent one.

Respectfully (and I mean that sincerely), you can disagree all you want, but I think you're really not separating cause and effect. That's why I think that you are misrepresenting the reality of what did happen.

You are 100% correct--developers DIDN'T come over, but if that WAS clear then BlackBerry's leadership was even MORE inept, because they devoted huge resources into a project that was not viable, period. BUT, to claim that BB10 is not viable simply isn't true. Being viable and being a failure in the market are again two separate things.

I know from your posts that you understand that BB10 is a good OS, so it is very confusing to me that you seem to insist that this was an inevitable path, rather than one caused by multiple failures NOT related directly to what BB10 is (or was).

KAM
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    12-01-15 11:38 AM
    I know from your posts that you understand that BB10 is a good OS, so it is very confusing to me that you seem to insist that this was an inevitable path, rather than one caused by multiple failures NOT related directly to what BB10 is (or was).

KAM
    The big mistake was being two years too late. The rest is noise.
    12-01-15 11:46 AM
    Your comments ignore the major investors' point of view and that is to preserve their already "huge losses on paper" investment. Advertising BB10 is a lost cause. Look at Microsoft and the average $15 billion Samsung spent on marketing the past several years only to see its market share continue to fall. There is no ecosystem to support BB10. Even if they spent their remaining $3.2 billion in cash it would maybe bump up the market share to 1%. And then what? How would you present your case to the Board and say let's spend $1 billion in marketing and our market share will increase to 1.2%. Your proposal wouldn't even make it through the door. This notion of "if people knew more about BB10 they would buy it" is just as baseless as BB10's ecosystem .
    Except that people DO buy BB10. There are people that know about it, understand that is is an excellent product and use it daily, enjoying features that other OS do not have. The fact that people remain ignorant of BB10 doesn't mean that it HAD to be that way.

It is nonsense to claim that people DON'T have the potential to respond to a product based on knowing about it, and some of those people will buy that product. If you were under the impression that BlackBerry did a good job of presenting itself to potential customers you're gravely mistaken.

The fact is that people literally are surprised to learn that BlackBerry even makes phones, and that's been a problem for a while now. Not sure why you don't realize this.

However, I should note that I agree that advertising BB10 now is pretty much a waste. I'm talking about several years ago.

As far as ideas "making it through the door" Yeah, because the ideas that have made it have been so successful for oh...5-6 years. The FACT is that BlackBerry has been making bad decisions and failing for quite some time, so the things that DO make it "through the door" clearly isn't much of a measure of success.

BB10 is arguably a better product than Windows Phone, and what Samsung offers, and if your argument is that a better product CANNOT succeed, then you live in a very strange world. That isn't to say that a better product WILL succeed, because clearly the brilliant minds are BlackBerry know how to avoid that.

This strange world that you all seem to envision is one where only Android and iOS can exist, and it is just impossible for another Operating system to be built, supported, marketed and grow. Just can't happen huh? Utter nonsense. This sort of thing DOES happen. It DID happen (which is how BlackBerry lost its top spot).

So, yeah the Leadership of Blackberry knows how to do one thing very well--fail, so perhaps you'll understand when I don't place too much faith in their decision making choices.

Here's a concept...stop following what others do, and figure out a way to change the market like Apple did, because BlackBerry's efforts aren't likely to get much higher than that 1.2% you're dismissing. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I surely wouldn't bet on any of the Priv hype to pan out in the end.

I really don't know why I bother talking about this--it really doesn't matter at this point.

KAM
    Last edited by KAM1138; 12-01-15 at 12:04 PM.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    12-01-15 11:51 AM
    Hello,

Too late in what regard? BB10 still offers better functionality than Android or iOS or Windows phone, and WebOS offered better than all of them in 2009. So, again, technically, no--it is NOT too late.

If you're talking about market inertia...I'd surely agree with that, BUT again--that means they stood by and watched this happen for two years, doing nothing about it.

However, if you're implying that ONLY timing was the issue (the rest being noise), then I again disagree. This is not the end--Android dominance isn't the only conclusion, it is just the current state of things, just like Blackberry's dominance was once the conventional wisdom.

Sooner or later someone will figure out how to change things again.

KAM
    12-01-15 11:56 AM
    Thor was quoted at the time of the Z10/BB10 launch: "This has to work", is what he said.

It didn't.

Nine months later, Thor & the Board put BB up for sale.

Somewhere between the Z10 launch, and the "For Sale" signs going up, BB10's end became inevitable.

As has been said many, many, many times here on CB... A thriving App "ecosystem" is a must to succeed in smartphones, and BB10 doesn't have an ecosystem, nevermind a thriving one!

All the marketing in the world, and infinite amounts of money to spend, aren't going to change the basic truth: 99% of consumers don't want what BB10 is offering.

Microsoft is realising the same harsh truth, and WinPhone may go the same way as BB10. To misquote Clinton's "It's the economy, stupid!" to keep his focus on the only thing that mattered to voters...; "It's the ecosystem, stupid!" is the only thing that matters in the smartphone world.

Which is driving Chen's gamble on the Android Priv. Android does have a vast App ecosystem, so the Priv may actually succeed in a way that BB10 never, ever, could.
    Troy Tiscareno and Witmen like this.
    12-01-15 12:04 PM
    By the time BB10 was released, BlackBerry was too small of a company to market globally on the scale some people on CrackBerry say they should have. The major mobile OS's (iOS, Android, and Windows Phone) are all owned by companies orders of magnitude larger than BlackBerry and have much more diversified sources of revenue. Could BB10 have been successful if more aggressively marketed? Maybe. But BlackBerry wasn't capable of that - perhaps if Microsoft or some other massive company had tried it might have worked better. No way of knowing now, except to the extent you can analyze what has happened with Windows Phone and draw comparisons. With fairly aggressive marketing, Windows Phone has seen very limited market penetration and limited, but not terrible, developer support.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-01-15 12:19 PM
    The big mistake was being two years too late. The rest is noise.
    BB10 was 7+ years too late. Developers were never going to support another single OEM OS. They wouldn't even have supported iOS had it not been the first modern smartphone OS with no other alternatives. The reason for this is that developers aren't stupid and do this for a living. They have to be pragmatic. We've all seen this before with the PC era.

Single OEM OSes always fail. Software is only part of the equation. Consumers don't want to overpay for their hardware. Consumers want the latest and greatest specs at cutthroat prices. We've seen the type of hardware/pricing Blackberry brings to the table with the Z10. Even ignoring software, no impartial, logical consumer would buy that versus what HTC or Samsung was selling at the time.

Another major OEM actually hit all the tick marks. That is Nokia with the Symbian OS. The touch oriented Symbian S60v5 (or Symbian S^1) OS hit the market quick in 2008 with the Nokia 5800 smartphone. This was early to the market beating even the first Android handset (the HTC Dream G1) and priced cheaper than the iPhone. It would be moderately successful selling 8 million units. At the end of the day, though, Nokia still failed. Its OS was considered half baked and its subsequent handsets suffered from the classic single OEM hardware specs problem.

Palm is another example to draw from. Palm was not as big as Nokia or BBRY, though, and it was later to the market than Nokia. Palm still beat Android to the market and it had a pretty cutting edge OS for the time that modern OSes all borrow heavily from. It's phones were somewhat reasonably spec'ed and okay priced. Once again, Palm failed. Consumers simply wouldn't accept anything other than the best specs for the best price. Also, developers weren't going to develop for another single OEM OS.

The only way BB10 ever had a chance (aside from being first) is if it beat Android to the market and was licensed to other OEMs for free. BBRY was never in a position similar to Google to accomplish this so, in a way, it was nobody's fault. The writing was on the wall for BBRY the second the iPhone hit. Management could have better diversified the company, though. Also, it reflected negatively on management to launch BB10 after Android had been pretty firmly established already.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 12-01-15 at 01:07 PM.
    12-01-15 12:39 PM
    Except that people DO buy BB10. There are people that know about it, understand that is is an excellent product and use it daily, enjoying features that other OS do not have. The fact that people remain ignorant of BB10 doesn't mean that it HAD to be that way.

It is nonsense to claim that people DON'T have the potential to respond to a product based on knowing about it, and some of those people will buy that product. If you were under the impression that BlackBerry did a good job of presenting itself to potential customers you're gravely mistaken.

The fact is that people literally are surprised to learn that BlackBerry even makes phones, and that's been a problem for a while now. Not sure why you don't realize this.

However, I should note that I agree that advertising BB10 now is pretty much a waste. I'm talking about several years ago.

As far as ideas "making it through the door" Yeah, because the ideas that have made it have been so successful for oh...5-6 years. The FACT is that BlackBerry has been making bad decisions and failing for quite some time, so the things that DO make it "through the door" clearly isn't much of a measure of success.

BB10 is arguably a better product than Windows Phone, and what Samsung offers, and if your argument is that a better product CANNOT succeed, then you live in a very strange world. That isn't to say that a better product WILL succeed, because clearly the brilliant minds are BlackBerry know how to avoid that.

This strange world that you all seem to envision is one where only Android and iOS can exist, and it is just impossible for another Operating system to be built, supported, marketed and grow. Just can't happen huh? Utter nonsense. This sort of thing DOES happen. It DID happen (which is how BlackBerry lost its top spot).

So, yeah the Leadership of Blackberry knows how to do one thing very well--fail, so perhaps you'll understand when I don't place too much faith in their decision making choices.

Here's a concept...stop following what others do, and figure out a way to change the market like Apple did, because BlackBerry's efforts aren't likely to get much higher than that 1.2% you're dismissing. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I surely wouldn't bet on any of the Priv hype to pan out in the end.

I really don't know why I bother talking about this--it really doesn't matter at this point.

KAM
    Hands down one of the best posts I've EVER read on CB.

So sad to see such a great product marching to oblivion on account of how successful the leadership team is at failure.

Posted via CB10
    KAM1138 likes this.
    12-01-15 01:08 PM
    Well I guess it still somewhat works on us users and those that do appreciate what BlackBerry 10 can and still does offer. Picked up a gorgeous Cobalt Blue Classic on their recent marketing effort. No body else offers this unbelievable keyboard and form factor.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    12-01-15 01:41 PM
389 ... 56789 ...