They should have advertised the Passport and the Classic a little more. So many people have no idea either exist, and they really did have some good stuff with both of them.

ClassicSQC100-4/10.3.2.2639
    11-27-15 02:44 AM
    BB 10 Os is the best period!

  
    Baba booey!
    11-27-15 02:53 AM
    I remember BB10 was hugely advertised. No?

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-27-15 03:41 AM
    I'd bet you've seen nothing yet. To me, as of date, it's on par (or close) with BB10 campaigns. But there's a lot of buzz around that makes it more visible.
    I'm expecting more, much more to come, starting no later than next week. Why ? Current fiscal Q ends ... tomorrow. And I won't be surprised some "put on hold" expenses will be released (marketing, building, shipping...) in the coming days.
    11-27-15 06:03 AM
    A successful BB10 advertising campaign would have accomplished little except for increasing the amount of returned BB10 devices. Let's pretend that ads fooled several millions of people into switching from Apple/Android to a shiny new BB10 device - what would the overwhelming majority of those people who got fooled have done once they realized what the app situation on their new phone was like?

BB10 never stood a chance. BlackBerry was foolish and arrogant to believe that it did. All of the advertising in the world wouldn't change the fact that iOS and Android still exist. As long as that is the case, any third option will have a very hard time gaining market share.

Look at WebOS. I still remember all of those ads with that scary, albinoish looking lady in them. Palm advertised the snot out of those phones. Didn't matter though did it? WebOS still failed. When BlackBerry was hard at work copying things from WebOS they should have been asking themselves if the world wants a third smartphone option. Now even Microsoft is figuring out that the answer to that question is no.
    11-27-15 06:09 AM
    They should have advertised the Passport and the Classic a little more. So many people have no idea either exist, and they really did have some good stuff with both of them.

PKB phones have less than 1.5% market share. People that buy them will actively look for them as choices are limited. No need to advertise heavily since their buyers know what they'll get. As for the Passport, the form factor is the deal breaker for most people. I've seen people at the store hold it and lay it down quickly because it's too wide. Some don't even hold it as they already know it's too wide. There have been squarish type Android touch phones before and they all flopped so Passport with a PKB has even a smaller chance of being noticed
    11-27-15 07:37 AM
    You have a setting wrong then because email is instant in iOS. I've never had a file not be sized appropriately. The fact that an attachment at the bottom of the page is semantics imo. It's completely false to say that emails don't come in intently, because they do.
    1. i've never changed any mail settings.
    2. Foot of email for attachments is not semantics, it's a fact. i have never used an email client on a PC or a phone that had the attachments at the bottom of the mail - why would you design it that way, anyway?
    3. i've been told that iOS 9 on the iPhone 5 (not S, just the normal one) is the cause for the problems. i have my personal phone (Classic) and the work phone side-by-side all day, and only once in a rare while does the iPhone get an email before the BB does. Frequently, the iPhone gets it minutes later, and occasionally, hours later. Maybe that's just Verizon (on the iPhone) vs AT&T (on the Classic).
    4. i agree with you wanting to bury it; i am no fan of Apple and that will be the end of it.
    11-27-15 11:04 AM
    No amount of advertising can compete with people's desire to fit in with a crowd.
    Whether Apple or Android, most people want to be trendy and BlackBerry is anything but trendy.
    11-27-15 11:06 AM
    No amount of advertising can compete with people's desire to fit in with a crowd.
    Whether Apple or Android, most people want to be trendy and BlackBerry is anything but trendy.
    Hmmm... If I'm not mistaken, BlackBerry was the trendy one during the BBOS years. Then that nosedived during the BB10 era.
    sentimentGX4, JeepBB and Donvald like this.
    11-27-15 11:17 AM
    Well maybe Blackberry will become trendy like they were in the mid 2000's and you can be a part of the herd again.
    11-27-15 11:18 AM
    This is so far from reality but a common theme on here. BBOS was trendy. BBM was trendy. Did that make them bad?
    11-27-15 11:52 AM
    A successful BB10 advertising campaign would have accomplished little except for increasing the amount of returned BB10 devices.
    Eeeeexactly. You don't advertise something to a market that you suspect the product does not "fit". Otherwise it comes off as being borderline dishonest. Results in returns.

Everyone keeps asking why BlackBerry never pushed BlackBerry 10 with more ads. The they know this. They saw the correlation between sales and returns. Any amount of returns above a certain threshold would be unacceptable to a carrier. Maybe that metric is 5%. Maybe less. Maybe more. Who knows.

But if you're Verizon and for every 100 phones sold 15 are coming back the very LAST thing you want is BlackBerry to pump up sales with ad campaigns. Because each return is a much more complex and labor consuming process than a sale. Meaning they lose on more than just the actual return.

And you can bet the carriers all let BlackBerry know that when they need to.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Witmen and sentimentGX4 like this.
    11-27-15 01:47 PM
    The "Apple is only successful because its trendy" line is popular here, but Android being a trend is relatively new.

Good for BlackBerry, because with the Priv, it has a device trend-seekers will flock to. Problems solved!
    TgeekB, JeepBB and Blacklatino like this.
    11-27-15 02:01 PM
    Your sarcasm detector is broken.... because no you can't do any of the things I noted. File management on iOS is.... well, it doesn't have it, so not sure it would even be fair to call it crap. But you knew that, I suspect you're just trying to get a rise out of some folks here....you like to do that. While we are at it about iOS email, the search functionality on iOS is dodgy as well and the UI looks like a joke.

havnt used IOS for a while now. checked on my ipad again. latest updates installed. No...... it doesnt have it. you are right.
    11-27-15 02:53 PM
    No they haven't.

They did for one model, the Z10... nothing else. It was a horribly poor marketing campaign for an immature product.

Today is completely different. And there is no excuse for never having advertised since then.
    There's a very good reason. After the failure of the initial BB10 advertising campaign, and with the writing on the wall plainly demonstrating that BB10 isn't going to provide consumers with the ecosystems that they're looking for, there's no longer any sense to advertise to the consumer. BBRY, even pre-Chen, wasn't shy about stating that they aren't going to market to consumers anymore simply because they didn't have anything the average consumer was interested in. Why waste money advertising to consumers when it's obvious you don't have a consumer oriented device? Despite what you or all the other BB faithful wished to believe, consumers weren't the focus after the Z10. Chen finally found an opportunity to cater to consumers. And as a result, it is now deemed worth marketing to consumers.

Whether you like it or not, post BBOS-7 and Pre-BBPriv, there was zero general consumer offering worth considering. The initial Z10/BB10 marketing was a waste of money. Just because a consumer "could" have bought BB devices during that period, does not mean that they "were" consumer devices.

The Priv is the first actual venture back into the "consumer" market. And is now worthy of advertising/marketing. Anything prior would just be a waste of money.
    11-27-15 04:22 PM
    Because either :

1/ They have a CEO about as smart as a box of rocks

Or

2/ They have a CEO and a board that did not wish for BB10 to succeed

I realize both sound ridiculous... but there really are no other plausible reasons.

Posted via CB10
    Most likely reason: they didn't think BB10 had a prayer and didn't want to throw good money after bad.
    11-27-15 07:29 PM
    It's simple, BB10 is very hard to market without an app store that contained all the apps most consumers would want without sideloading. The amazon app store is still bad compared to google play. Notice they emphasis it is android for priv advertisements.
    11-27-15 08:40 PM
    A successful BB10 advertising campaign would have accomplished little except for increasing the amount of returned BB10 devices. Let's pretend that ads fooled several millions of people into switching from Apple/Android to a shiny new BB10 device - what would the overwhelming majority of those people who got fooled have done once they realized what the app situation on their new phone was like?

BB10 never stood a chance. BlackBerry was foolish and arrogant to believe that it did. All of the advertising in the world wouldn't change the fact that iOS and Android still exist. As long as that is the case, any third option will have a very hard time gaining market share.

Look at WebOS. I still remember all of those ads with that scary, albinoish looking lady in them. Palm advertised the snot out of those phones. Didn't matter though did it? WebOS still failed. When BlackBerry was hard at work copying things from WebOS they should have been asking themselves if the world wants a third smartphone option. Now even Microsoft is figuring out that the answer to that question is no.
    What you described pretty much sums up the mobile field and something that I've been saying for a while.

I will go on record and say that WebOS and BB10 are hands down better than iOS and Android and the experience is not even close. (heck, with everyone pilfering WebOS, it will never die!!!). But the latter has something that the former doesn't; apps. That, sadly, determines the success of a phone and developers indirectly pick winners and losers. It is what it is.
    11-27-15 09:15 PM
    No, billions of dollars in ads for a niche market product would not have won over the masses.

But effective marketing to the appropriate customer might have built a sustainable business model for BB10.

The fact that there are millions of users who prefer BB10 over other platforms, and in order to pursue a BB10 device, these users had to work pretty hard (i.e. no help from carriers etc.) is for me the irrefutable proof that there IS a larger market for BB10 than the current existing user base. Possibly 10s of millions more. It is absolute nonsense to say that all Android and iOS users PREFER their current OS to BB10, because they don't know about BB10.

Getting the message to that audience is challenging, granted, but it shows BB's management's mettle when they didn't really try all that hard (and I mean also not just in the presence of marketing, but the message and the strategy.)

My god, that looks like someone just got Windows 3.0 + Microsoft Word for Windows + Adobe Type Manager and went to town. Is it some kind of attempt at "Retro" appeal i.e. awkward typeface abuse a-la:

http://www.genxisocialbuzz.com/wp-co...1-250-1001.jpg

And the use of "Priv" style branding to advertise BB10 devices is revolting to me.
    I hate to admit that I still have dos 5.0 on 5 1/4 floppies and win 3.0 on 3.5...but I will fully admit that my Priv and awoken the geek in me again.
    11-27-15 09:23 PM
    Looking at instagram, they're putting the priv on the subway in new york, billboards, this and that. Why didn't they do this for bb10?!

Posted via CB10
    Chen had a plan to get rid of BB10 and go with Android the moment he became CEO. So he didn't want to waste money on something he didn't want to sell.
    crackberry_geek and TgeekB like this.
    11-27-15 09:46 PM
    Now why is this sentiment posted so often? Do you really believe that people use Android or Apple merely because they want to "fit in"? Do you think that they are the only" sheep " and fan boys out there? I will never understand why some people have such a need to justify their preference for BlackBerry by belittling the preferences of others. I've used BlackBerry for many years, but now I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Why? Because I like it and it suits my needs. And, no, it's not because I like silly game apps. It's also because BlackBerry ceased being a cutting edge product years ago. All this talk about how secure BlackBerry is is nonsense. It's no more secure than any other phone and if anyone thinks otherwise, I'd like concrete proof. Not opinions and anecdotes.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-27-15 10:27 PM
    Your sarcasm detector is broken.... because no you can't do any of the things I noted. File management on iOS is.... well, it doesn't have it, so not sure it would even be fair to call it crap. But you knew that, I suspect you're just trying to get a rise out of some folks here....you like to do that. While we are at it about iOS email, the search functionality on iOS is dodgy as well and the UI looks like a joke.

As an avid user of my two BB10 phones and my iPad, I couldn't agree with you more. There are a lot of things that iOS and my iPad do very well, but email is not one of them. I find myself often getting very frustrated and having to switch back to my phone just to find an email.
    11-27-15 11:19 PM
    What you described pretty much sums up the mobile field and something that I've been saying for a while.

I will go on record and say that WebOS and BB10 are hands down better than iOS and Android and the experience is not even close. (heck, with everyone pilfering WebOS, it will never die!!!). But the latter has something that the former doesn't; apps. That, sadly, determines the success of a phone and developers indirectly pick winners and losers. It is what it is.
    Yeah, it's just the Apps. BB10 cameras, screens, accessories and peripherals have been on par with Android and IOS since inception
    11-28-15 01:57 AM
    PKB phones have less than 1.5% market share. People that buy them will actively look for them as choices are limited. No need to advertise heavily since their buyers know what they'll get. As for the Passport, the form factor is the deal breaker for most people. I've seen people at the store hold it and lay it down quickly because it's too wide. Some don't even hold it as they already know it's too wide. There have been squarish type Android touch phones before and they all flopped so Passport with a PKB has even a smaller chance of being noticed
    This is all true, but the Passport was the first BlackBerry in ages to end up with a user Base of anyone other than former BlackBerry users. It was the first time that any Android users switched over in ages, at it was the only BlackBerry since iPhone and Anroid took off, in which at least a handful of people didn't immediately scoff at it.

I know quite a few people who had no idea the Passport even existed until they saw mine, and they were impressed, many said it was the first BlackBerry they would ever have considering buying. It's not like the world of phablets was just coming to when the Passport showed up, and for ONCE BlackBerry had built a flagship spec phone!

They needed advertising, and they could have sold more had people actually known about them. It wasn't just a phone for pkb users

11-28-15 02:14 AM
    With any product or device one has to market and advertise to its strengths. BlackBerry is superior as a communication device. Sure Android and Apple handle email and texts but no where near as easily or as organized as BlackBerry does with the Hub. File management? Security? battery life? (this is where they failed at marketing and to the demographic that deems this essential) As an owner of 4 Samsung Tab Pro tablets (and experience with Apple tablets) I have no problem stating this emphatically. This being said if I was not a business owner, did not depend on email and communications for income and had only one email. This would likely not matter as much to me. Think about how Apple markets for the new iPhone 6s. 4k video in a handheld. Force touch, a 12 MP camera with moving pictures and gaming ability. Samsung touts its camera, selfie capability, wireless charging, a stylus and a different screen. (all with young millennials.) Imagine national BlackBerry ads (not the you tube ads although I do like the Piers Morgan Passport ad) with the speed and flow of BlackBerry 10, Hub functions, File management, universal search, security and those business users that use them, functions and capabilities of the physical and virtual keyboard. Let's hope we see these with the Priv.

Z30 wickedness
    11-28-15 02:24 AM
389 12345 ...