A bit off-topic but CROWDFUNDING!!!

Why BB doesn't make development of BB10 crowdfunded? If there are hardcore users who want it, they will pay. I want to pay 50$ right now just to make sure there will be sensible development. Mainly fixes and small compatibility updates - i dont need any big changes - i am almost perfectly happy with my Z30. I switched to BB recently from Lumia 830. Before that I had almost every iPhone and several Androids and now i have iPhone 6s as my secondary phone. iOS is miles behind in terms of productivity. Yes, they have milions of apps but the phone is still a high-tech toy or a freaking good mini computer if you want. But it is certainly not a good comunication device
    I second this. Crowdfunding is fine, but NOT open source!
    11-27-15 07:06 AM

Why BB doesn't make development of BB10 crowdfunded? If there are hardcore users who want it, they will pay. I want to pay 50$ right now just to make sure there will be sensible development. Mainly fixes and small compatibility updates - i dont need any big changes - i am almost perfectly happy with my Z30. I switched to BB recently from Lumia 830. Before that I had almost every iPhone and several Androids and now i have iPhone 6s as my secondary phone. iOS is miles behind in terms of productivity. Yes, they have milions of apps but the phone is still a high-tech toy or a freaking good mini computer if you want. But it is certainly not a good comunication device
    Maybe when you Millennials are old enough to take over CEO positions, or move into other C-Level management spots you can do all of this crowdfunding stuff (or what-ever its equivalent in 20 - 30 years). In the meantime, while some larger companies do go the crowdfunding route they largely do so to simply gauge interests and not to actually fund the project. BlackBerry already surely knows the interests levels with BB10, so no need to go there. Also, someone of Chen's "caliber" and prestige (and age) is not going to ask the public for money, it is beneath him and will be seen as begging. Then again, won't people (that is, non CrackBerry users) find it strange that BlackBerry had the cash to acquire 5 entities over the last year but can't spend a few bucks to update their own FB app?

Chen has enough connections already if he really wants to ask for "investments" and to be real if the public wants to crowdfund BB10 they can do it the old fashioned way: buy BlackBerry stocks.

iOS, like Android, is fairly whack when it comes to productivity out of the box, and on both, there are apps for that. Then again neither iPhone or Android devices are marketed as "productivity tools".
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    11-27-15 09:55 AM

I'd be in complete support of this idea. I would have no problem with a BB10 monthly subscription to keep my device up to date. I really do like the iPhone, but, like you said, it just doesn't do enough. I feel like Apple took everything the BlackBerry was and is supposed to be and made it 10 times better, but it's still lacking the necessary features a person constantly on the move without a computer needs to get their work done.

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    11-27-15 10:06 AM
    Maybe when you Millennials are old enough to take over CEO positions, or move into other C-Level management spots you can do all of this crowdfunding stuff (or what-ever its equivalent in 20 - 30 years). In the meantime, while some larger companies do go the crowdfunding route they largely do so to simply gauge interests and not to actually fund the project. BlackBerry already surely knows the interests levels with BB10, so no need to go there. Also, someone of Chen's "caliber" and prestige (and age) is not going to ask the public for money, it is beneath him and will be seen as begging. Then again, won't people (that is, non CrackBerry users) find it strange that BlackBerry had the cash to acquire 5 entities over the last year but can't spend a few bucks to update their own FB app?

Chen has enough connections already if he really wants to ask for "investments" and to be real if the public wants to crowdfund BB10 they can do it the old fashioned way: buy BlackBerry stocks.

iOS, like Android, is fairly whack when it comes to productivity out of the box, and on both, there are apps for that. Then again neither iPhone or Android devices are marketed as "productivity tools".

I don't want to crowfund Blackberry - you didn't get it right. I am not interested in the company itself - they make bad decisions and PRIV will not help them. I want to crowfund OS which is (un)officially dead. I think there is no shame to announce that bussiness wise BB is moving to Android heaven (read as hell) but fan-wise it is keeping the team of programmers who know what to do with BB 10 financed by people who dont want to buy Android BB. Maybe this will be the biggest true-leader-no-ego decision Chen ever made.

And btw. i am 36 years old
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    11-27-15 10:45 AM
    If I never received another update on my Classic, I'd be perfectly fine. Anyone else agree? I'm tired of seeing people complain about BB10, but I don't see any issue with the OS being behind. I only need my phone to email and to create spreadsheets and word documents. As long as my browser runs like it does, I don't feel the need to download a bunch of apps, I just use to mobile Web versions to save space.

That's your opinion. Updates are vital for improvement and performance. So yes BBRY better continue BB10 updates, because BB10 is by far the best mobile OS ever created. And will remain that way until BB11 comes out.
    11-27-15 10:49 AM
    The roadmap for BB10 is ten years so it will be supported until at least 2023.
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    11-27-15 11:56 AM
    I don't want to crowfund Blackberry - you didn't get it right. I am not interested in the company itself - they make bad decisions and PRIV will not help them. I want to crowfund OS which is (un)officially dead. I think there is no shame to announce that bussiness wise BB is moving to Android heaven (read as hell) but fan-wise it is keeping the team of programmers who know what to do with BB 10 financed by people who dont want to buy Android BB. Maybe this will be the biggest true-leader-no-ego decision Chen ever made.

Fair enough, makes sense. Thing is this would still not be a $50,000 Go Fund Me campaign, however.
    11-27-15 01:27 PM
    The roadmap for BB10 is ten years so it will be supported until at least 2023.
    What!? Where did you get this idea? I think you are joking around here but hey, curious minds want to know...
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    11-27-15 01:29 PM
    What!? Where did you get this idea? I think you are joking around here but hey, curious minds want to know...
    I think he is referring to the roadmap for BB11
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    11-27-15 01:32 PM
    That's your opinion. Updates are vital for improvement and performance. So yes BBRY better continue BB10 updates, because BB10 is by far the best mobile OS ever created. And will remain that way until BB11 comes out.
    If the ultimate or penultimate update to BB10 contains the kitchen sink be very afraid.
    Trust me, you want them to be small and only address bugs and/or vulnerabilities.
    A good maintenance team should be trying to maximize the stability of the product and nothing else.
    After the last update the BB10 holdouts will be in the hands of fate.
    Any vulnerability will be up to the user to deal with as best they can.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 11-27-15 at 09:36 PM.
    11-27-15 05:30 PM
    hi!
    this is an interesting piece of opinion you have there. thank you for this thought provoking post.
    sure i do understand where you are coming from however my only issue is with BB OS 10 is the lack of support for my native language. i mean i can understand why guys at BB do not hassle with developing support for a language only about 1 million people speak worldwide, however i find it totally irritating when i cannot use the great Blackberry keyboard in language most of my social circle communicate. i guess for you as an English speaking individual this might seem as a minor issue however this is currently the ONLY reason why i am holding back from acquiring a brand new Q10 / Classic.
    sure the new Priv could be a reasonable alternative but i do not like infantile looking Android (and always laden with whatever software issues you might think of) and the physically moving parts on my phone. additionally i haven't researched enough and just don't know if the Priv's version of Android supports Latvian (and any other of the small Eastern European languages, which btw use the same Latin character set plus some additional ones for that matter) ONLY to the degree i can normally input additional (special) characters in messages / e-mails / texts etc. i don't really need support for voice command support in Latvian of any other of that fancy redundant stuff. i don't think that it is that much to ask.
    all the other issues don't bother me at all in comparison to the mentioned one since i rarely use phone for photos / Instagram or try to download as many applications as possible. call me boring but apart from the basic calling / messaging functionality, the language issue fixed i just need seamless and instant sync of Google / Apple contacts, various e-mail accounts, Dropbox and maybe some spreadsheets (although i don't really think doing spreadsheets on a tiny screen makes any sense).

so... i guess i would not agree necessarily to what you have stated. i would love to see the BB OS updated soon with additional languages, but maybe i am just being naive.

cheers!
    janisfreimanis
    Good post. I am not for what exactly you want to use your native language but I, for example, use my native language for everything on my Z10 except for BlackBerry Assistant. But I think English is enough to launch comands, it is an international language and I really think that is important for most of the people to be able to speak a basic English.
    On the other side the keyboard is fantastic on my native language, Romanian, if I'm typing or if I use the keyboard dictation. For typing I can use multiple languages and it works perfectly on English combined with Romanian, but for dictation I can set only 1 language so I set Romanian for that.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 03:39 AM
    You completely missed my point.

11-28-15 09:04 AM
  13. Tubagus Tebegaya TralalaTrilili's Avatar
    What I'm more concerned about is the support of the essential apps(for me it's fb and twitter). If there's none there's no way to use BlackBerry for me. The OS itself is rather stable.
    I agree with you. Things I hate the most from blackberry is they seems too lazy to updates the apps and os. Facebook apps is ancient n no longer support facebook fully

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 09:52 AM
    I agree with you. Things I hate the most from blackberry is they seems too lazy to updates the apps and os. Facebook apps is ancient n no longer support facebook fully

Posted via CB10
    There's an easy and effective way to get fully supported FB and Twitter on BB10.

m.facebook.com
    m.twitter.com

You can even save them to your desktop as shortcuts and pretend they are "apps."

Both are always updated in real time. No waiting.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 10:41 AM
  15. Tubagus Tebegaya TralalaTrilili's Avatar
    There's an easy and effective way to get fully supported FB and Twitter on BB10.

m.facebook.com
    m.twitter.com

You can even save them to your desktop as shortcuts and pretend they are "apps."

Both are always updated in real time. No waiting.

Posted via CB10
    Yea, sadly that's the best I can do with my "not so cheap" smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 10:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    It isn't laziness. I looked at the Facebook API with the idea of writing an application. They make significant changes on a regular basis. Unless you are willing and able to release a significant update once a month your application will quickly fall behind as we have seen for the BlackBerry Facebook app. This makes supporting a third party Facebook application an expensive proposition. Would you be willing to pay a hefty sales price, or pay a lesser amount but pay for updates? Since "everyone" wanted them to move to Android they have retooled their development team. They no longer need to have people capable of writing Facebook applications for BB10 so they have likely either been transferred to Android os support, or replaced.

Twitter doesn't move as fast, but the same situation is there too.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    11-28-15 11:35 AM
    Yea, sadly that's the best I can do with my "not so cheap" smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    Personally I prefer the browser experience to the dedicated app experience most of the time.

I don't have to worry about the behavior, performance, or permissions settings for apps created by developers I don't know who have very little accountability for their work.

I see no reason to involve a third party if what I want is, first and foremost, a Web site! Why use a "translated" version of the data on the server when I can use it in the form for which it was intended?

Posted via CB10
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    11-28-15 01:23 PM
    What makes no sense is the fact that they did not even market the devices properly like they do now with the priv. THAT was what tanked BB10 sales. NOT the OS itself. You, me, and every decent BB users KNEW this.
    Not only that they only released niche devices after z30.... oh we're going enterprise now.
    Fu+: you Chen..

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 03:29 PM
    Not only that they only released niche devices after z30.... oh we're going enterprise now.
    Fu+: you Chen..

Posted via CB10
    Please, there was and has been nothing to market. BB10 has never been a mainstream OS because of lack of app ecosystem. I love my BB10 phones, but seriously, no amount of money could make enough people want BB10 to ever be profitable.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 09:38 PM
    I may be dreaming but it would be awesome if someone could root the Z30, so we could try to use it as an android device.

I heard they did it with a Passport

Posted via CB10
    Just out of curiosity as a non-dev: with BlackBerry phones being so secure, how would one even start trying to find an exploit which could be used for rooting?

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 12:56 AM

The problem with crowd funding, and open sourcing is the the actual OS (QNX) is proprietary to BlackBerry and profitable. In contrast the actual OS for Android is Linux which was already open source.

Even if BlackBerry gave the BB10 layers that go on top of QNX away to open source or crowd funding they would either have to work out a licencing deal for QNX, or replace it with another OS.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    11-29-15 09:30 AM
    Personally I prefer the browser experience to the dedicated app experience most of the time.

I don't have to worry about the behavior, performance, or permissions settings for apps created by developers I don't know who have very little accountability for their work.

I see no reason to involve a third party if what I want is, first and foremost, a Web site! Why use a "translated" version of the data on the server when I can use it in the form for which it was intended?

Posted via CB10
    I prefer using the browser because of it's cursor and being able to switch from the mobile website to the desktop version.

11-29-15 05:37 PM
    That's what Heinz said around 2013. He said the BB 10 platform would last us for the 'next ten years'.

Hence, 2023.
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    11-29-15 11:13 PM
    I'm not against using apps, but I find using my browser is better because I save room on my phone because I don't have to download anything.

11-30-15 03:59 AM
    Are you talking about those 7 mb twitter app size? Cmon man, it's 2015, we don't use floppies any more...
    11-30-15 04:46 AM
137 ... 3456